• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon gives high scores to games despite their anti-consumer aspects / DRM strategy

Big-E

I don't see how they were wrong for reviewing the game on time. No one waited for Call of Duty to come out to put the review up and they have had server issues (not to this degree) each of the past few games. Why now should everyone be waiting and those who don't are just "wrong?"

Should every site now wait to review every single game with some form of online component?

When a game has always online DRM then absolutely they should wait as that is something that can severely hinder the user base. EA said that the DRM was needed to make the game work and the fact is that the game doesn't work because of their DRM. Offline mode and this server issue is forgiven. There is no offline mode so they deserve to be skewered for it.

rdrr gnr

kowPyO9.gif
This will be getting some use.

FordGTGuy

Banned
FordGtGuy, what exactly are you suggesting? That they review a game based on a pre-empitive assumption on how the servers might run? If they're selling the game at full price and launching it even to begin with, they need to get their shit in order and working from the start. The reviews should be of the product the way the masses will be playing it on the off set, and any updates to scores based on patches should come thereafter, only if the problems are fixed. The issue here is that they started with a stupendously high score for a game that basically doesn't work, and then dropped it slightly to reflect it some what, and then dropped it more. Pointless. They should have attempted to get a more accurate measure of the game from the off set, especially for an online only one.

No they shouldn't assume any information in a review score, a review score is supposed to be a definitive and final rating of a game.

You shouldn't give a game a bad mark for a temporary issue that wasn't even caused by the game but by the Publisher forcing you to connect to a server to play the game.

Lower the score for always online but lowering the score for a issue that will most likely not exist in a week and wasn't even caused directly by the game(server-side) is pretty silly.

They fucked. The updating score don´t work. Now probably Polygon knows, but it is too late. It going to be worse when the score go back to 8.

Yeah. They'll never do an "evolving review" again, but they have to stick with this for now. I would not be surprised to see at least a week's delay or no score given for "online" games from here on out.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I have to say, this entire SimCity, EA, Polygon, review score clusterfuck is pretty awesome.

I really don't get the Polygon/Kotaku/Giant Bomb/"Insert Website" hate lately - sure in the past some outlets have had really shitty coverage (hello Kotaku East) but I'm pretty sure they all work hard to bring their audiences the coverage they want, and whoever they are the news they clearly return for is enough to keep them coming back often. Maybe that news is not for us here on this hallowed ground of GAF, we've proven we can stand on our own without the backing of publishers.

I've just not understood why it's okay to insult people to the level we often do here. :/

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I don't see how they were wrong for reviewing the game on time. No one waited for Call of Duty to come out to put the review up and they have had server issues (not to this degree) each of the past few games. Why now should everyone be waiting and those who don't are just "wrong?"

Should every site now wait to review every single game with some form of online component?
When the game hinges on the online component... YES.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't get the Polygon/Kotaku/Giant Bomb/"Insert Website" hate lately - sure in the past some outlets have had really shitty coverage (hello Kotaku East) but I'm pretty sure they all work hard to bring their audiences the coverage they want, and whoever they are the news they clearly return for is enough to keep them coming back often. Maybe that news is not for us here on this hallowed ground of GAF, we've proven we can stand on our own without the backing of publishers.

I've just not understood why it's okay to insult people to the level we often do here. :/

Because they're self-aggrandizing children both here and on twitter. Especially when a consumer (forum poster) points out their (or their fellow 'reviewers') failures. If they acted like adults and accepted their failures and learned from them, their fellow humans on this forum/twitter would be less critical.

Revven

I don't see how they were wrong for reviewing the game on time.

They put it up a whole day in advance, that's not being on time, that's being early. That's so they can get clicks and have the first coverage of the game. They're prioritizing their "business" or whatever than the consumers who are likely to buy the game based on what they say. And if shit hits the fan the very next day (which it did) it's on them for giving their reader-base (and others) a false idea of what to expect.

Maybe if in the review itself, somewhere at the top where they put their hyperbolic statements/quotations they could put a very clear statement of the environment/conditions they were in when playing the game. OR, they could give a word of caution that x game is an always-online game and may have issues launch day with being able to play it; so you may not be able to experience what they were if they put the review up early.

The fact of the matter is, the review was put up early and made no mention of there being any server issues because they played on EA private servers which is but a dream to have right now in the eyes of the consumer. It was wrong of them to give the expectation that the servers would be fine. You can gather from their review, before all these changes, that the servers are fine because of them not mentioning a single thing about it.

It's also highly incompetent of them to have expected the servers would be okay. It's not until after it happened they started stating "it was expected". Yeah, okay, keep telling people that you knew it was going to happen when you had your review up a day in advance rather than waiting like the rest of your competitors. Your actions speak louder than your words, Polygon.

I don't understand why this website got "so" "popular" so fast.

The supergroup effect. You have fans of each performer taking a look at what things are going to sound like. The final effect might be great (Cream) or shit (The Firm) but the initial number of people paying attention is going to be big.

I don't understand why this website got "so" "popular" so fast.

They made a self documentary acting as if their gaming blog was revolutionary, something that every college kid thinks when he makes one, but these guys had money to make their fantasy known to everyone.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I like the idea of amending reviews if problems arise.

I agree.

The problem with this case is that they released an early review even though they themselves admitted that it was likely the final game experience wouldn't be the same.

They should have waited until after this whole dilemma to finish their review.

Yagharek

EA could've definitely better prepared for this launch but this isn't a issue you can fix until it occurs.

What made you guys think that out of every online-only release(including MMOs) EA would master this release? C'mon now this is EA we're talking about here.

So what makes you think EA deserves a free pass and a moratorium on reviews until the game works?
Films aren't reviewed two years later when the directors cut comes out.

Games should be reviewed as they are at the time they land on the reviewers desk. In this case 1/10 would be generous for EA. It is unjustifiable to release in this state, and the fact it's reviewed so highly just proves yet again that the games media is corrupt.

CookTrain

Games should be reviewed as they are at the time they land on the reviewers desk.

That sort of undermines your other points... most of these reviews were written based on ideal-condition review servers. Games should really be reviewed in as close to consumer conditions as possible and EA sugar coating their online for the press took this wholly expected outcome out of the picture for the people with an audience.

Fortunately the audience itself is piping up about things. Unfortunately, the audience has a short attention span.

Is there a mechanic he's missing, or does it actually take that long to catch?

Because that does seem pretty annoying. Not bad enough to mean I couldn't finish it, but it definitely seems obnoxious.

The actual place he's supposed to be is on the minimap. He's nowhere near it.

antitrop

Out of curiosity, what is ironic about it?
That it is funny not because of the intended effect of Justin Macelroy being a hilarious comedian, but rather it is funny to watch him flounder around and embarrass himself for gloating about being unable to finish a simple mini game.

Yagharek

That sort of undermines your other points... most of these reviews were written based on ideal-condition review servers. Games should really be reviewed in as close to consumer conditions as possible and EA sugar coating their online for the press took this wholly expected outcome out of the picture for the people with an audience.

Fortunately the audience itself is piping up about things. Unfortunately, the audience has a short attention span.

You raise a fair point. My argument applies more to broken games like skyrim ps3 for example. Mmo games I seem to recall being reviewed a month or two after release. Maybe online drm single player games should also be reviewed in the customers conditions.

And then given 1/10.

The one critical lesson here is dont believe reviews, and dont buy online only drm games.

dLMN8R

Seems a bit unfair to attack Cliff over that. He's completely right. The gaming industry needs to do what it needs to do to survive. That doesn't mean every example of microtransactions is a good example.

That blog post was posted with many people like Ben Kuchera of Penny Arcade agreeing with it. But then 1-2 days later EA released Real Racing 3, which took microtransactions to such a horrible extreme that no one could defend it - not Kuchera, probably not Cliff either.

And he certainly hasn't said anything about SimCity here.

nib95

Banned
The actual place he's supposed to be is on the minimap. He's nowhere near it.

Oh my....dear....lol. I hope people lambasted and mocked him for this. LOL. Assuming of course that it's easier to catch the fish in the other area, which based on his little edit and the bottom of the article, it is.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Does going to the other place make the mini game less arduous?

The fish he has on the lure there is one he is not really meant to get, so it takes forever and is easily lost. If he was actual capable of looking at the map and going to the correct spot, it takes a literal 5 second fish pull minigame to snag it.

Top Bottom