• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your tattoos

oracrest

Raiden said:
I never ever cared for tattoo's, but that is fucking awesome.

Thanks! I designed it myself, and found a sweet local artist that had a lot of experience doing ships before. That image you quoted is the only part that really hurt when getting it done. Got so sore over time, and it was the ship with the most solid areas on it. It still needs to get touched up. Some of the lines healed away, and the solid parts need a more solid fill-in.

This site was invaluable when working on it. TONS of high res old prints of ships, among other things.

http://www.old-print.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&query=ship

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Tattoo-GAF: How did you decide upon your first tattoo?

This has been going through my mind for a while now, but I haven't jumped in for obvious reasons, but I think I am ready to seriously consider getting a tattoo.

I am very curious how others have decided upon getting their first tattoo and what the process was that they went through.

elseanio

oracrest said:
Thanks! I designed it myself, and found a sweet local artist that had a lot of experience doing ships before. That image you quoted is the only part that really hurt when getting it done. Got so sore over time, and it was the ship with the most solid areas on it. It still needs to get touched up. Some of the lines healed away, and the solid parts need a more solid fill-in.

This site was invaluable when working on it. TONS of high res old prints of ships, among other things.

It's a brilliant design. You thinking of getting more?

Jokeropia said:
<3 Vagrant Story.

34ec5kx.jpg
2mfgcbl.jpg

I was going to get the Rood Inverse too :D

GAF, what do you think of this pic that I designed? I posted on another forum and got a lukewarm reception.

35130de2.jpg

The bird is optional, what do you think about it?

ep85

PumpkinPie said:
GAF, what do you think of this pic that I designed? I posted on another forum and got a lukewarm reception.
Is there any personal significance to the design? Sometimes an explanation helps. Right now it looks like a bootleg Obama logo

ep85 said:
Is there any personal significance to the design? Sometimes an explanation helps. Right now it looks like a bootleg Obama logo

I'm not American so I have no knowledge of the Obama logo, the basic idea of it is something I have been thinking of for about 2 years but I only came up with a solid design last week. It isn't set in stone, it can be changed...but basically my main interest is music and the idea signifies (in a personal way) the presence of music in my life.

Gong

DSC00691.jpg

Lower right arm. Had it done back in May, delighted with it in every way and makes up for the ones I had done when I was very young.

Las Vegas

Neo Member
263h5zm.jpg

Right after my mate placed it.
23si2ch.png

Year later

Still very pleased with it :). It's placed on the inside of my upper right arm btw.

oracrest

elseanio said:
It's a brilliant design. You thinking of getting more?

Maybe. This one sat and brewed and changed in my head for a good 6 years before I finally sat down and drew it out. If I think of another, and don't get bored with the idea over time, I probably will.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
reilo said:
Tattoo-GAF: How did you decide upon your first tattoo?

This has been going through my mind for a while now, but I haven't jumped in for obvious reasons, but I think I am ready to seriously consider getting a tattoo.

I am very curious how others have decided upon getting their first tattoo and what the process was that they went through.

First I thought about what aspect of myself I wanted to mark. I was born and raised in asia, moving from country to country and a lot of my identity comes from being a white US citizen who grew up overseas in Asia and Latin America. I knew I wanted a symbol that would represent that and settled on the old fallback, the Ying Yang. It's cliche but I felt it was fitting as there is a lot of duality in my life. I didn't want it to be your standard yingyang so I then spent several days scribbling various designs that would make it unique yet still obviously be a yingyang. Once I had basically what I wanted, I let the artist improve on it. Also, I knew I was going to get many more over the years so I decided to start with something small that could also be built upon. I also made a decision to keep all designs on that arm relatively simple, with my other arm housing a more complication and detailed tattoo.
you can see it here in the very center. Originally thats all that was there and I built from that.
1r1zk.jpg

Buckethead said:
For the tattoo-'d:

How much of the design did you completed beforehand/how much did the artist help you?

Like I said above, I typically design a rough draft of what I want, I am not a good artist so I just do the best I can and then take it to the tattoo artist and walk him through what my idea is with the image as a jumping off point. I'd compare it to working with an architect to build your home, telling him how you want it to basically look, the dimensions, the characteristics, giving him feedback and suggestions, but letting him do the real work.

Patriots7

Gui_PT said:
Where is it?
Back left shoulder.
Mother caught a glimpse of it as I was stupidly trying on shirts and flipped shit until I convinced her it was temporary. So I'm taking a trip for the next month and need to be able to hide it when I get back for a week until school starts.

Gui_PT

Patriots7 said:
Back left shoulder.
Mother caught a glimpse of it as I was stupidly trying on shirts and flipped shit until I convinced her it was temporary. So I'm taking a trip for the next month and need to be able to hide it when I get back for a week until school starts.

Just keep a dark shirt on at all times? I think that'd be enough

Patriots7 said:
Yeah thats what i was planning but she wants to see that it's gone.

Then you are screwed. Have you ever seen waitresses that have to cover up tattoos with makeup? Yeah not very effective, especially if someone is looking for it. How old are you?

Patriots7

_dementia said:
Tell her the truth?
Eh she made it perfectly clear that she'd cut me off if it's real. And I'm a solid year away of actually being able to support myself, so that's not in the cards...

Gui_PT

Patriots7 said:
Eh she made it perfectly clear that she'd cut me off if it's real. And I'm a solid year away of actually being able to support myself, so that's not in the cards...

There is makeup to hide tattoos. But you should just tell her.

JaskoX1

Banned
oracrest said:

Your tat is by far the best on here imo; thanks for the link.

PumpkinPie said:
GAF, what do you think of this pic that I designed?

Don't like it. Why not tell an artist what symbols or shapes you want, and let them design it? Your sketch looks a bit like a logo from the 1980s for a company or resort.

Gui_PT

PumpkinPie said:

Who cares? Are you getting the tattoo for yourself or for others?
If you like it, get it.

Las Vegas

Neo Member
So what do you guys think about this tattoo for a dude?

357291422v1_400x400_Front.jpg

Music_is_love__by_PearlValery.jpg

I rarely see any guys with it, especially on the wrist. But I really do want to get it the way the girl in the pic above has it. Love for music is unisex right? It's really making me doubt..

Las Vegas said:

I rarely see any guys with it, especially on the wrist. But I really do want to get it the way the girl in the pic above has it. Love for music is unisex right? It's really making me doubt..

If its making you doubt then I wouldnt get it. I would only get a tattoo if I 110% wanted it and didnt need anybody's approval. Tattoos are things that you dont want to get if you're on the fence with the design. Just my 2 cents.

Las Vegas

Neo Member
Lionheart1827 said:
If its making you doubt then I wouldnt get it. I would only get a tattoo if I 110% wanted it and didnt need anybody's approval. Tattoos are things that you dont want to get if you're on the fence with the design. Just my 2 cents.

Well, there are a few things that are holding me back. Mainly, future career plans. My main ambition is a job in the (european) business world, so it basically means I'll have to wear a suit all day. Then again, I can always cover it up with my watch or a bracelet if neccesary.

But about the gender thing, I'm not sure. My mates say the tattoo looks pretty girly, but when I explained the meaning behind it they understood and actually liked it.

The bass & treble clef combined to form a heart shape, placed on my left wrist closest to my heart. It's basically just a sign to show my neverending love for music, show how much music means to me. Since music is probably the most important thing in my life.

But you're right though, I am having doubts, but those doubts are occuring because of other peoples opinions.

I still have a few months to think it through though :).

jorma

is now taking requests
Las Vegas said:
Right after my mate placed it.
Year later

Still very pleased with it :). It's placed on the inside of my upper right arm btw.

I love this one. Very Las Vegasy =)

The "love music" one? Not so much. And tbh it does not look very unisex at all.

Get some make up. How old are you?

I'm kinda thinking about getting a tattoo, but the thing is, I want to work with Japan through the government, and I get the feeling that a tattoo isn't going to go down so well for either of those parties (They don't let you onto the beach/ work in many places because of the yakuza thing). Is it a bad idea? What are some easily concealable places to get a small tattoo if I did decide to do through with it?

Is getting characters (specifically a chain of "&#31505;&#38996; Sourire &#48120;&#49548; Smile") tacky? I'm a language student so it makes sense to me to get it done, but other people might not see it that way.

Qasiel

This is a work in progress; my "Geek Sleeve". And yep, Link is right handed in this for 2 reasons: 1) the source image is from TP which I played on the Wii, and that Link is right-handed & 2) When I look at him in the mirror (the only way I can see it properly), he becomes left-handed!

ZLfQh.jpg

mTiwc.jpg

regs

This is being worked on still but it's starting to take shape:

photo.JPG

this is the inside of the sleeve that I just started to get coloring done on:
tat.jpg

One side is us being invaded by aliens, on the other is us invading them. I am going to blend the colors in all together for a really awesome transition. Hopefully it should be done in a month.

TommyT

Las Vegas said:

music/heart pic

If you're worried about what other people with think of a tattoo you're doing it wrong. All that matters is that you like it.

This is my third one but my favourite so far. Took about 10 hours but got it done through a friend of a friend so didn't cost too much.

tattoo.jpg

Top Bottom