• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

Juice

Reilly said:
GOT IT UPSIDE DOWN

cum.gif

REVSHOT.gif

Edit: Dammit, he edited it so it didn't look stupid anymore...

Uhh, go PS3?

Reilly said:
Well, it's only really delayed in Japan. A fall 06 launch was what people were expecting and that is still happening.

Exactly, the fact that I can pick up the system this year is awesome. It looks to be shaping up great.

aaaaa0

Gamespot article is up... they say Kutargi said 6 million units BY MARCH 2007.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145972.html

While the simultaneous tri-territory PS3 scheme may sound much like Microsoft's international launch of the Xbox 360, Sony plans to avoid the shortages that befell its competitor. Kutaragi said that the company plans on producing at least one million units of the console each month in order to keep the supply channel full. He said the goal was to ship 6 million PS3s worldwide by March 2007.

2 million at Nov launch worldwide? One million each month thereafter?

If true, massive shortages GET!

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Reilly said:
Well, it's only really delayed in Japan. A fall 06 launch was what people were expecting and that is still happening.

and if that's the case, then for those people who it was not delayed for, means this was a non-event(regarding launch)

and i agree if you are EU you are happy, but i'd be skeptical that i'd get the screw if they need more units for US/JPN

off to bed for me, fun times for GAF - just like the old days ;)

Amir0x

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
I thought you were one of the fans of up-front losses on hardware? This is just the necessary evening things out by screwing the late adopters.

I am. This is a logical progression! I don't care how much Sony loses, etc etc just do the best thing for everyone! ;)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
But if they're comparing it to Xbox 360's taking of a standard resolution image and just upscaling it, that's nothing.
I thought 360 ran Halo in hi-res or something?
Comparing with XBox shouldn't be taken literally anyhow - it's a big stretch calling that backward "compatible" in the first place.

Jonnyram

Fafalada said:
Comparing with XBox shouldn't be taken literally anyhow - it's a big stretch calling that backward "compatible" in the first place.
But the PS3 will do it by emulation too, right? I don't think their putting chips in there to take care of it. We'll see... if it runs FFXI, I will be *very* impressed.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
cvxfreak said:
Don't you mean Unix?

Unless they're the same. :lol

Eeeeh, not really the same. But if the dashboard for PS3 is a full on OS, I will touch Ken Kutaragi on his naughty buns and like it.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Juice said:
I realize Sony has already claimed they could start manufacturing final units last Tuesday, but to compare to the 360, it's now March--have they shipped 6 million worldwide yet?

I don't know what MS has shipped... I just don't want to imagine a global launch for PS3 with as few as 1-2 million units :(

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
But the PS3 will do it by emulation too, right? I don't think their putting chips in there to take care of it. We'll see... if it runs FFXI, I will be *very* impressed.

I think they ought to just port the 360 version over, as funny as that sounds, if the PS2 one for some reason doesn't work well.

Diablos

If they sell it for $400 they are pretty much set. I'm sure they are aiming to match MS's best offer with something better for the same price.

$400 had me a little wtf'd at first, but you have to consider what the console has. I thought that the possibility of a $300 console could come true if they took out the hdd, but it is very clear that they want it being a media hub to be standard, so it only makes sense to include the hdd obviously. Plus no more memory cards, and this will help loading times for sure if devs know every single PS3 owner will have a hard drive.

I am surprised we did not hear BR-ROM drive speed information. I guess that will come later, along with finalized price and game info. GDC? E3?

Juice

Jonnyram said:
It can, and from what I've heard, it will. Mac OS X is Linux-based so you're already sorted on that front ;)

Hardly. =(

Mac OS X is based on Darwin, which is Apple's special brand of BSD. BSD is part of the Unix family, but more or less the second cousin twice removed from Linux proper.

The difference being that Linux is open source and that there's an entire world of engineers trying to get that kernel to run on every device with a microchip. Of course, kernel optimization of the CELL processor is probably going to be the most daunting task since the Human Genome Project (except involving more creativity).

For that reason, don't expect Linux to be working (well) at launch, and don't expect anything but a single type of distribution that can even run on the PS3 (whether Sony selects to work off an existing distro or start their own from the kernel and work their way up is yet to be seen, but likely).

So yeah, getting OS X working on a PS3 would be such a monumental effort, and probably ultimately cockblocked by the closed-source kernel-level parts of the OSX system that it never could happen.

Still, the most important thing is that Sony is embracing open source while Microsoft is trying to snuff it out. No matter how much Sony tries to restrict piracy avenues, having Linux installable on there is going to give users infinitely more freedom over their PS3 than Microsoft with Xbox 360. On moral grounds alone, I'm all for an OSS-friendly console (and all for the destruction of one that could perpetuate Windows' marketshare).

marc^o^ said:
Awesome demonstration of Sony's savoir faire. They'll sell their 6 million PS3 at launch within 3 weeks. As I predicted, Sony embracing online gaming will make xBox live a mere commodity and not a key factor of success anymore. Blue Ray/Linux/best developper support/PSP connectivity/Playstation brand... makes Microsoft dream fall apart. The PS3 is not even out and it's sooo easy to already figure x360 will not compete with PS3 numbers. The Dreamcast analogy was true, Sony's hype is invincible. I'm glad Nintendo took a totally different route and did not go in frontal with Sony this time.

Linux for the win BTW, it won't be stressed enough.

PS3 & Revolution combo for the win. I should start saving money NOW!

yep nintendo was smart

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Diablos said:
If they sell it for $400 they are pretty much set. I'm sure they are aiming to match MS's best offer with something better for the same price.

If they added a throwaway game in the package and raised the price to $450, would anyone really complain?

Mrbob

Yes there will be shortages, but at one million a month Sony will be able to fill up demand much quicker than MS ever accomplished. Remember MS only shipped about 2.5 million units in the same time span Sony will be shipping 6 million. Kuturagi also said one million a month is the minimum target.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Jonnyram said:
I hesitate to call what 360 is doing "emulation" - at least not emulation of hardware. It's more like running various game profiles.
Anyway what's so special about running FFXI? I can think of a dozen PS2 titles right away that should be more complicated to run (if running in software emulator that is).

thetrin

Fafalada said:
I hesitate to call what 360 is doing "emulation" - at least not emulation of hardware. It's more like running various game profiles.
Anyway what's so special about running FFXI? I can think of a dozen PS2 titles right away that should be more complicated to run (if running in software emulator that is).

I don't understand why emulating FFXI would be such a big deal. It's not like the PS3 won't have a HDD.

Diablos

TheTrin said:
If they added a throwaway game in the package and raised the price to $450, would anyone really complain?
Who knows, everyone is going to react differently. Plus you have to consider MS will probably drop the price of the 360 and will naturally become very competetive around the time of PS3 launch.

Juice

By the by, I hope this piece of irony helps burn the midnight oil for you:

I have a Psyc test I have yet to study much for in just over 5 hours. It's on sleep and its deprivation. *Irony!*

Guess this'll make me an expert!

//pretends he ever gets more than 3 hours of sleep a night anyway.

cvxfreak

Juice said:
By the by, I hope this piece of irony helps burn the midnight oil for you:

I have a Psyc test I have yet to study much for in just over 5 hours. It's on sleep and its deprivation. *Irony!*

Guess this'll make me an expert!

//pretends he ever gets more than 3 hours of sleep a night anyway.

The West Coast is like, the best region of the western world to be in for this kind of stuff. Or maybe Hawaii. :D

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
So six million by March 2007, right?

And where is the no-less-than-50,000-yen number coming from?

Danydrunk

Beezy said:
I fall asleep for 3 hours and this thread grows by 13 pages. As I'm browsing through those pages, it grows another 2 pages! I thought Nintedo fans were bad. You guys are fucking crazy. It was all worth it though thanks to these posts:

P.S: I guess Ninja Scooter won't do my homework now. :(

Jejej funny that you chose one of mine, Im actually a nintendo fan, but I like videogame news in general, so I was awaiting this announcement as everybody else.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mrbob said:
Yes there will be shortages, but at one million a month Sony will be able to fill up demand much quicker than MS ever accomplished. Remember MS only shipped about 2.5 million units in the same time span Sony will be shipping 6 million. Kuturagi also said one million a month is the minimum target.

Nice.

Thank god I finally made it to the front of the pack. Only took me 2 hours. :lol

Jonnyram

Fafalada said:
True... it's much the same as having a multi config autoexec.bat, right? :)

It's tied to the PS2 HDD. I really can't imagine how they'll get that running, even if they have a HDD built-in to the PS3 hardware. I guess they can put hooks in for the PCMCIA calls, but it will be pretty messy, I reckon.

cvxfreak

kevm3 said:
$500 dollars with a 60 GB hard drive is a go... without is a no go.

The way I see it:

$350 w/out HDD: =(
$350 w/ HDD: :O
$400 w/out HDD: RIPOFF
$400 w/ HDD: :)

And so forth. I'm using the 360 pricing as my guide here, too.

Juice

Aha! So by bootable memory stick, they mean it can bootstrap and then receive all instruction from an archive server, bypassing the firmware and becoming a puppet of the PS3. (While I can't really figure out what advantages this would have other than saving RAM and kernel overhead, it at least answers that question).

"Archive Server" must mean PS3 in this case (unless they're referring to an online one or store kiosks--either of which wouldn't make sense for including bootstrapping from a memory stick in the description). In that case you'd boot up your PSP in "PS3 mode" (perhaps even reboot it remotely from the PS3) and then it becomes a streaming media device with easy access to your PS1 games and movies and what not stored on your 60GB HDD in the PS3.

Genius!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
lunlunqq said:

Can somebody explain the GPS PSP feature to me please? What does updates every second mean? Do I need to be in a WiFi area at all times? And how will that be possible?

mckmas8808 said:
Can somebody explain the GPS PSP feature to me please? What does updates every second mean? Do I need to be in a WiFi area at all times? And how will that be possible?

It's just a navigator, like the ones of the PDA's or in the cars. It doesn't need Wifi for anything, it's just GPS.

PizzaFarmer

Fafalada said:
You're normally pretty informed about things, but you're incorrect there. :)

Xbox 360 back-compat uses a full software emulator. There was a good talk at XFest on the challenges involved and optimization techniques that could also be applied to games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
cvxfreak said:
I'm using the 360 pricing as my guide here, too.

You shouldn't, they're quite different systems. $500 with the HDD would be an absolute steal, but methinks it'll be more like $399-$449 without it.

Juice

mckmas8808 said:

GPS means that either all new PSPs would ship with it or it would occupy the USB port atop the system. It's its own technology, based on satellites floating all over the earth. The every second reference indicates that every second the GPS chip would sync with the satellite and return the approximate position of the PSP.

This can be used in games as well as mapplications.

cvxfreak

gofreak said:
You shouldn't, they're quite different systems. $500 with the HDD would be an absolute steal, but methinks it'll be more like $399-$449 without it.

I'd agree about a comparison with the Revolution, but I think with the 360 it's fair. BD tips things in PS3's favor, though.

Fafalada said:
I thought 360 ran Halo in hi-res or something?
Yeah, I think most of us did at first. But here's what's said on Bungie's site:

How is the resolution change achieved technically?

For Halo and Halo 2, it happens in the "frame buffer" where Full Scene Anti Aliasing is applied. That image is then scaled for the best mix of image quality and compatibility.

...which explained why the 1280x720 screenshots we were seeing didn't seem properly high res. At first I thought it was just a combination of the lower resolution textures and a bad capture.

Vaandaviii said:
It's just a navigator, like the ones of the PDA's or in the cars. It doesn't need Wifi for anything, it's just GPS.
Yeah... how are they basing a golf game around this? I know people around here were postulating some GPS ideas like having different Pokémon available based on your current position, but what would be fun for golf?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It's tied to the PS2 HDD. I really can't imagine how they'll get that running, even if they have a HDD built-in to the PS3 hardware. I guess they can put hooks in for the PCMCIA calls, but it will be pretty messy, I reckon.
All I/O on PS2 happened inside IOP - there was no way for EE to access the hw by itself, and Sony has already demonstrated replacing IOP with a completely different chip with almost no loss in compatibility (at any rate it didn't affect FFXI at all).
Even if FFXI relied on some out of spec PCMCIA behaviour it's a simple matter to include that as special case in the IOP emulation module.

I'm more concerned about weird things some of us have done on EE/GS side of PS2 games, I sincerely doubt the hw engineers envisioned some of the uses people have come up with over the years.

Top Bottom