• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 controller owners, have you had the Dual Shock/Sixaxis battery die on you?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nope still working, last longer then new controllers

EDMIX

I bought a bundle of PS3 controllers a while ago and am testing them now in my once in a while battery checking procedure.

Turns out that 3 of them (2 Sixaxis, 1 Dualshock 3) seem to have a bad battery, I go to charge it and it says charging for a few minutes, then it says charge complete, but when I remove the charge cable there is no charge. Pretty sure that means the battery is dead.

Anyone here go through the battery change process? Do aftermarket batteries last as long as the original?

I wonder if it's even worth me repairing all 3 batteries at once. I have 4 controllers that are already working, if I end up replacing the 3 batteries right now it might be years before I actually use them, at which point, the aftermarket LI-ON battery may have already degraded...

No. I've never had one die on me.

But I do have many, many PS3's so lol I think during its run, I probably bought like 6 of them or something. Of course the launch OG, MGS4 Gunmetal version, some silms, a super slim etc Shipped 1 to Haiti and one to Canada and one to France as my cousins are all gamers and always have some crazy list of things they want for birthdays, chrismas etc lol So I have many PS3 controllers laying around, the one I have used the most is the Gunmetal MGS4 one and that one never died, but its charge got super low and I replaced the battery a few years ago.

This wasn't a 100% NEEDED thing as by then I wasn't really using it as much as I was gaming mostly on PS4, but I changed to get a better charge.

From my experience, the Gunmetal PS3 one literally lasted me almost 10 years before I even CHOOSE to change it out, of course I'm not using it as much as I was back then, but its still working just fine, I'd even argue after market batteries are probably superior to the ones that launched with the ones you are using now.

Its worth the upgrade as they are cheap as fuck and its an easy swap.

01011001 01011001 lol, did you not know there is an option to replace PS3, PS4, PS5 batteries? The fuck are you talking about? lol

Last edited:
All mine died years ago. Also tried to use a USB micro wire and thr lights just blink. They don't work even with that. I had to buy a aftermarket controller and connect that with micro USB cable as my Bluetooth and wifi no longer works.

Also the controller sticks the rubber is melting, they are all tacky. Anyone else have this? Didn't happen when in use.

Really sucks as I have a ton of ps3 games I'd like to play. Also it's the only way to really play mgs HD collection, Mgs4, resistance, Killzone, infamous, etc... So many exclusive never made it to ps4/5, pc, or switch

Leonidas

I hate dealing with these PS3 controllers too many issues when repairing

-fuck the extra plastic piece between the bumpers/triggers on Sixaxis
-fuck the small pieces of plastic that broke off opening the Sixaxis
-getting the bumpers working on Sixaxis for the first time was very tedious
-had to clean the sensors on DS3 as a few buttons weren't working correctly, second time I've had to do this (once on two different controllers)
-prior owner stripped multiple screws on one of the controllers so I was only able to fix two of the 3 batteries
-getting the controller back together with everything in place can be tedious

At least in doing this my ability to repair PS3 controllers has improved.

And now I have backup controllers if needed.

I wish the controllers were as easy to deal with as Xbox 360 controllers...

Last edited:

Virex

Abrasive, but well-meaning
Luckily my Dualshock 3 controllers all still work and charge fine. They still look new as well after all these years. But I do use my PS3 still fairly regularly so they get used a lot.

cireza

It's a money issue. Xbox controllers only come with 2 non recharchable AAs. If you don't have rechargable AAs + charger at home you have to pay extra.
Putting rechargeable AA batteries is actually much more practical than having a battery that requires buying a specific replacement and dismantling the controller to replace it. This is common sense.

Top Bottom