• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World coming March 28th to PS4/PC, Launch Trailer Released

I played a demo of this a few months ago. I couldn't make sense of it especially with the fighting. I would have a projectile and throw it at one of the iguanas. Frequently, the projectile would be lost and then I didn't have any other options than just running. Is this just a running game then?
You're prey. Hiding, running, and manipulating the ecosystem will almost always be your preferred options to fighting

Oh man. Great news. Have been waiting on this forever.

Is the Vita version still a thing? If not, I'll just pick it up for PC.

Went through the devlog, here's a timeline showing the game's devlog

===

Original movement and animation prototype
WBge8vH.png

Slugcat concepts
GlZVl47.png

Standing on poles for the first time
puU5FLy.png

First lizard prototype
wSuuwTg.png

Early levels
5yWnZeZ.png

First logo and art
IOZNFvH.jpg

"Bears" and "Crocs", before slugcat and lizards were a thing
8hA9Owz.png

Already working on AI and pathfinding even back then
T8JezYy.png

First menu
9UUeeUd.jpg

Multiplayer teases
gU0hNzI.png

Fending off lizards
49UFjpL.gif

First look at different lizard types
MSFBYDK.png

Aesthetic taking shape
KvmE6cP.png

Pinning lizards to walls
gyjaUXq.gif

First spear battle
0ptHlAL.gif

Kickstarter GIF
0xheHGW.gif

First garbage worms
KdMuCQJ.gif

First GIF of Rain World being rebuilt on Unity
qTOwVmb.gif

A glimpse at the game's parallax background
hTZGqcG.gif

Unity slugcat climbing again
Tod0KKM.gif

Slugcat back in action
MQu6mFf.gif

Unity lizard coming to life
k3sU00n.gif

Now with tails and feet
rWehIXr.gif

Almost there
ocKaDDv.gif

Unity lizards in action
jufJ7XV.gif

New creature and backgrounds together for the first time
TDHDRbd.gif

Species interactions taking shape
Wl2I1GK.gif

First water
Bjc5eZz.gif

Rain
7chjii8.gif

Water, bats, and more together
0jj3A5w.gif

Co-op
9cdV2TB.gif

Vulture before
bIlmJto.gif

And after
rfOLptU.gif

First 16:9 widescreen screenshot
GRlpd3R.jpg

AI infighting in the works
eweLDDu.gif

First look at procedurally generated individual traits
WwJLgHB.gif

Now with darkness and lighting
ggihlkg.gif

Finally in-game rain
nq9fb9M.gif

Lizards can hear
pPJb9Pt.gif

Lizards can see
nHGJFTG.gif

First in-game map
4DUNftz.png

New logo
WOWiT67.png

Art preview from new artist
sOw5sWz.png

New in-game map
HlMykNT.png

Fancy new banner
9LSeQ9l.jpg

New screenshot
F5eNBwvh.jpg

Teasing release
0ds9oXE.png

New GIFs with site overhaul
32026346631_a8d23899d1_o.gif

These upcoming months are absolutely packed with interesting looking games, my wallet is crying. Definitely getting this on pc at some point.

Prurient

Banned
Got a question: I bought the early-access Alpha on Humble ages ago that's just an executable, do I get a key for the full game when it releases?

Just so you know, I've had an OT draft ready since 2015

My planned OT title at the moment is Rain World |OT| Concrete jungle

Any suggestions?

Daniel-Bryan-Yes-Cheer.gif

FINALLY! Can't wait!

Any suggestions?

Rain World |OT| Surely we can do better than concrete jungle?
;)

Probably should have something with Slugcat or AI in it, but drawing a blank atm.

I saw this for pre-order on PSN with 20% off. I hardly ever pre-order digitally, but think I'm gonna go for this.
Got a link? Not seeing it on PSN

===

Details on the soundtrack
Rain World features three and a half hours of music spanning 160 tracks, and it required thousands of junk sounds to produce it all
To create Rain World's distinct soundscape, the composers used a technique known as ”junk audio." Essentially the idea is to use everyday objects — rusted tin cans, old car parts — record the sounds they make, and then mash them together into a song. ”You take it, and you process it, and you amplify it, and it becomes something else," Therrien says of the process
From the devlog
Literally me recording us talking at the PAX booth and showing him the soundwave loading:
https://clyp.it/obyjx1dg

The same sample pitched down for effect and to create better material to grab from:
https://clyp.it/udnp13qu

Selecting audio points in that sample to capture from, i do this weird semi-randomized arpeggiated thing:
https://clyp.it/ddlxzmds

And from there the track takes shape. Adding percussion and other instruments (many of them also taken from that same audio clip, manipulated to suit my ends through sample and hold techniques or whatever):
https://clyp.it/v2v2et5r

Too many good games this year! I can't believe this is actually coming out soon.

This is still coming to Mac, right? More_Badass, you've played the PC version right? I wonder if controls will be better on PC or PS4. (yeah I know you can use a gamepad on PC) Does it have a complicated control scheme?

Too many good games this year! I can't believe this is actually coming out soon.

This is still coming to Mac, right? More_Badass, you've played the PC version right? I wonder if controls will be better on PC or PS4. (yeah I know you can use a gamepad on PC) Does it have a complicated control scheme?
Controls are really simple. Move, jump, grab, throw, map. That was an older build though, not sure if they added more. You do need some timing and finesse to master and combine the more advanced platforming moves though

This is great news!

Any differences between pc/PS4? Like frame rate
Might matter
Physics/AI ticks at 40fps. Actual screen refresh is limited only by your hardware and monitor.
Yeah I tweeted at the dev and they said animation is procedural and will automatically match whatever framerate it needs to. They've got a 120hz monitor too and have been seeing it at 120fps! The game animation is going to look so beautifully smooth at 120hz.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Very nice. High frame rate animation will make for some great slow motion GIFs

Edit: aww, still 40 FPS physics/AI behind the scenes. Should still look good though.

oldboss

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ????? FINAL FUCKING LY!!!! I've been checking every day for the last few months!! This is going to be MONUMENTAL!

I can't friggin wait.

Mazre

Hooray! One of my most anticipated indies for this year. Should hopefully be through BotW by the time it drops.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Fired up the alpha from 2015. The procedural animation was already pretty good. This is just me hitting the jump button as I move around.

l0IyfigbEnPf88Fbi.gif

So this and Hyper Light Drifter are the two indies I've waited on the longest. Actually, I think Hollow Knight and Below are in there too, but HLD is great, just beat the North section, and this looks like it'll be amazing.

Then there are all these AAA games to play ...

I don't have enough time D:

Man, been waiting forever for this to come out, and now it's finally out with this huge list of other games coming at the same time.

Is the multiplayer going to be local only or do they plan on having online?
Local only, doing net code would be "MADNESS" for this. There will be bots though

But it's not just deathmatches on the side. Their plan is an entire other section of the game that unlocks as you progress through the main campaign, with survival, waves, and other modes

BigBeauford

Local only, doing net code would be "MADNESS" for this. There will be bots though

But it's not just deathmatches on the side. Their plan is an entire other section of the game that unlocks as you progress through the main campaign, with survival, waves, and other modes

That kind of bums me out. I wanted co-op on release date with my wife.

Adult Swim Games has really been killing it! I've loved every game they have published that I have gotten a chance to play. This looks interesting and I'll give it a try at some point this year.

OmegaX

Any suggestions?
Rain World |OT| Longcat is looooooong

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Game looks amazing. I love the aesthetic.

Top Bottom