• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World |OT| Concrete Jungle

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Here's hoping 120 FPS shows up as an option in a future patch - I haven't had any luck on that front. 720p as a resolution choice would be nice too. I'll gladly sacrifice those 48 pixels for clean integer scaling.

Crispy75

That pipe gif warms my heart :)

I'm really impressed with James and Joar's attitude to all the feedback. They knew exactly what sort of game they were making and stayed committed to it for long years, but weren't so arrogant to believe they were going to get everything right first time.

Cyanity

Banned
Here's hoping 120 FPS shows up as an option in a future patch - I haven't had any luck on that front. 720p as a resolution choice would be nice too. I'll gladly sacrifice those 48 pixels for clean integer scaling.

720p scales perfectly with 1440p monitors, right? Looking forward to that patch myself if so

(of course it'd make sense since 1440 is twice 720)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
720p scales perfectly with 1440p monitors, right? Looking forward to that patch myself if so

(of course it'd make sense since 1440 is twice 720)

Yeah, it's perfect scaling on 1440p (2x) or 4K (3x). It's 1.5x for 1080p, which would still be an improvement.

Danielsan

Got to The Shoreline today and this area has broken me. After a million deaths I finally gave up. I ended up stuck at some place that requires me to dive deep in order to get to the other side, but I kept on drowning. Decided to warp to the industrial zone and see if I can find a different area.

Got to The Shoreline today and this area has broken me. After a million deaths I finally gave up. I ended up stuck at some place that requires me to dive deep in order to get to the other side, but I kept on drowning. Decided to warp to the industrial zone and see if I can find a different area.
Not sure how you were swimming, but the devs said that using the swim boost drains your breath faster, so the trick to swim is to do so slowly and smoothly rather than tapping jump a lot

Danielsan

Not sure how you were swimming, but the devs said that using the swim boost drains your breath faster, so the trick to swim is to do so slowly and smoothly rather than tapping jump a lot
Yeah I'm aware of that. Still. It's a pretty long distance. Might try again this weekend.

bosseye

Arrghhhh. Rage quit. This is driving me bonkers, I just can't get anywhere. I'm literally stuck in my second safe room, I can't progress beyond it. A combination of control woes and unfair deaths mean I've repeated the same few screens over and over and over and all the fun has gone. I've played all the Souls games, I'm familiar with the concept of careful exploration and death as a learning mechanic, but in Souls I was always able to make some slow progress, this I just keep dying and spawning but I'm not getting anywhere.

I've never even managed to rank up, I'm stuck resolutely on the lowest rank going nowhere.

1) Controls are driving me mad, why do I have to press up to catch poles? The amount of times I've missed the pole and fallen right to the bottom of the area I've just climbed. I'd rather grab them automatically, especially if I've been knocked off by those blue fly things.

2) Why does pounce require me to crouch then hold the button, just put it on a simple button press so I can do it more quickly.

3) The little yellow eye dudes, occasionally point the way to a safe room, the one near me keeps pointing back to the one I've left, would be helpful if it could give me clues that didn't take me back places I know.

4) Insta deaths are getting irritating, especially when I'm not getting anywhere. Met some new and strange creatures, vaguely humanoid....I edge closer to see what they do, they don't attack so I get closer still nothing...I head through their middle to the hole behind and then one of them shoots me. Back to my safe room I go.

5) Do bolt holes do anything? At the moment they seem designed to irritate, I just get stuck in them. They don't protect me from the rain, they don't keep animals out, what are they for?

6) Why can't crouch be on a button, pushing down to crouch feels wrong and it means I find myself constantly crouching when I don't mean to.

Ugh. I'm just not in the mindset tonight, but I've been bouncing off this for 2 hours with zero to show for it. I suppose I'll have to just make careful forays from my safe room, try and figure a way to go.

For now I'm off to play something that doesn't kick me in the bollocks every 2 minutes.

1) Controls are driving me mad, why do I have to press up to catch poles? The amount of times I've missed the pole and fallen right to the bottom of the area I've just climbed. I'd rather grab them automatically, especially if I've been knocked off by those blue fly things.

2) Why does pounce require me to crouch then hold the button, just put it on a simple button press so I can do it more quickly.

1- Agreed on the poles but it makes sense a bit. Gives you more control but it's a bit annoying.

2- That's probably on purpose, it's risk vs rewards. You need to lose a second for a big jump, really important when being chased.

Arrghhhh. Rage quit. This is driving me bonkers, I just can't get anywhere. I'm literally stuck in my second safe room, I can't progress beyond it. A combination of control woes and unfair deaths mean I've repeated the same few screens over and over and over and all the fun has gone. I've played all the Souls games, I'm familiar with the concept of careful exploration and death as a learning mechanic, but in Souls I was always able to make some slow progress, this I just keep dying and spawning but I'm not getting anywhere.

I've never even managed to rank up, I'm stuck resolutely on the lowest rank going nowhere.

3) The little yellow eye dudes, occasionally point the way to a safe room, the one near me keeps pointing back to the one I've left, would be helpful if it could give me clues that didn't take me back places I know.
1) Trust me, the last thing you want is to automatically grab onto poles. It being manual lets you decide if you want to leap past a pole to the ground or grab on mid-jump, and that makes all the difference

2) How is that different from a charged jump in any other platformer? Plus, it means you have to be deliberate and certain that you can perform the pounce

3) As for it leading you back to shelters,when that symbol comes up, it's not for forward progress. It's leading you to the nearest shelter so you can be safe.

But like how are you playing that you can't get past those screens?

XaosWolf

Trust me, the last thing you want is to automatically grab onto poles. It being manual lets you decide if you want to leap past a pole to the ground or grab on mid-jump, and that makes all the difference

Maybe have it as the opposite? So it's hold Down to fall through things. Just as an option.

bosseye

1)

But like how are you playing that you can't get past those screens?

Badly apparently, heh. I'm obviously just not in the mood tonight. I'm playing slow and careful but I keep messing up jumps so I'm wasting time going round in circles. I was trying to push things so I could find another safe room, but I keep getting caught short in the rain.

Crispy75

This "reticule" symbol has decided to show up in the background of every room.

GRANqd1.png

What's up with that?

XaosWolf

Okay so what the hell do I do here? Yellow guy wants me to go up that pipe but I drown every time. =(

First time it's led me to a seeming dead end.

But you have air controls, so holding down would affect your fall. Holding up doesn't

A designated grab button then. (Not square)
Dunno why I'm even thinking about this as I don't even have a problem with holding up.

GRANqd1.png

What's up with that?
Looks like a bug.
That's the same reticule that appears for selecting shelter for passage fast travel

Okay so what the hell do I do here? Yellow guy wants me to go up that pipe but I drown every time. =(

First time it's led me to a seeming dead end.
Wall jump.

I actually brought up those kinds of passages to the devs in the devlog. Needing to do so many wall jumps in a row feels excessive IMO

XaosWolf

Got it finally, though I'm back at 0 karma. I'm guessing I kept drowning due to fighting the current to get to the surface but I honestly can't tell because I couldn't tell where SC was amidst the bubbles.

Got ambushed the first time I made it up by 4 squid monsters who made me drown.
Next time through there was absolutely nothing. I did bring use a spear as a platform for them wall jumps though.

Thankfully I've made it through to another shelter so don't have to do that again. =P

Mandelbo

The Su
bterranean
is fucking brutal. I've died at least ten times just exploring, haven't even found a shelter there yet. Fil
tration
is a lizard hive, though, so there's no way I'm going back there either. Just gonna have to perservere tomorrow, I suppose. Hopefully there's something interesting at the end of it!

The AI's been doing some really cool stuff though - sometimes helping, sometimes hindering (location and enemy spoilers below!)

https://twitter.com/mandelbo/status/847554048815493120
https://twitter.com/mandelbo/status/847559822383992834

Just *so* cool how dynamic all this is - even if I do wish the M
illipedes
would go die in a hole.

JamesPrimate

Neo Member

GRANqd1.png

What's up with that?

yes this is super annoying. its just a sprite not being cleared out under some circumstances. expect a fix in the first patch. For the time being, exiting the game and then continuing will solve the problem. Or it'll usually go away on its own after other images clear it out.

JamesPrimate

Neo Member
The Su
bterranean
is fucking brutal. I've died at least ten times just exploring, haven't even found a shelter there yet. Fil
tration
is a lizard hive, though, so there's no way I'm going back there either. Just gonna have to perservere tomorrow, I suppose. Hopefully there's something interesting at the end of it!

The AI's been doing some really cool stuff though - sometimes helping, sometimes hindering (location and enemy spoilers below!)

illipedes
would go die in a hole.

OH MAN those are great videos :O

What is it you are currently trying to achieve in your play? Are you trying to level up, or trying to explore?

Early on I think it's worth completely stratifying these two activities - either be doing one or the other.

Once you know in your own mind where another shelter is, do a hot lap where you're actually picking up enough food on the way there to be able to save. The same then applies to ranks and gates. This may not be the best way of playing, but it is what has worked so far for me.

Having said that, in an hour or two of play tonight, I feel like I know the slugcat, and this terrain, and these enemies a bit better now. My own skills and knowledge (while still indifferent) have reached a point where I actually feel a little bit confident to carry food and rank and explore all at once.

Kudos guys, this game is a gem. I think the cult-classic tag is quite apt. There really is nothing like this, it's Bladerunner in anime/videogame form. Everything is detailed. It grinds my gears reading comments that the controls are janky, it just isn't true. The controls are detailed, accurate, and reliable. Jumping over a log might take multiple times the number of button presses another game might require, but that's not jank, it's detail. Jank means lazily implemented, poorly integrated, and dissonant. Rain World' controls are the exact opposite of that, and while I can agree it will have niche appeal, I personally love it.*

Being forced to think about the little things is not for everyone. I really must applaud the courage to make a game like that.

* I have still not gotten very far, I think!

XaosWolf

The Su
bterranean
tration

illipedes
would go die in a hole.

Scissorbird
killed me shortly after I met them. I was annoyed. Then I laughed. We are best friends now.
Watertendril
and I are not friends and never will be.

Gsnap

Well, so far I'd have to say this game is both really good and pretty bad at the same time. But the good thing is the bad stuff is easily mitigated once you understand it. But the game does a poor job explaining it. If the game was better able to make its intentions clear during the opening sequences, I think people would have responded to it in a better way.

As I see it right now, the game isn't about consistent progression, as many other games are. On the micro-level progression, it's about living in one place for a long time, venturing out each day to find food, then going home at night to rest. Basically, it's about the day in, day out of life as an animal. On the mid-level progression, it's about extending your knowledge of said place, and your ability to travel further before going home. This gives you more map to work with, helps you know where various food sources are so you can find food if one area has respawned its food that day, lets you know where the dangerous enemies will likely be (though that won't be perfect due to their AI), and give you various points of interest. And then you have max-level progression of getting back to your family, as set up by the intro. This is great stuff. It gives the game unique atmosphere, tension, progression, reward system, etc. It makes you feel like an animal, which is important.

The problem is the game doesn't properly condition the player early on to play the game as (I assume) is intended. I didn't even come to these realizations until checking this thread and learning about rank. If the ranking system is going to remain in its current form (and I'd imagine it would because the game is out, and changing something so major probably wouldn't be a good idea), then any updates to game need to find a way to make it clear to the player what rank is and why it's important. Because even though rank is an abstract, and it doesn't make sense that it can physically affect the world the developers built, the necessity of rank and the time limit of rain are the core pillars that support the foundation of the game's "a day in the life of an animal" progression. And that foundation is fundamental to what makes the game so unique, so something needs to be done to keep the foundation without losing players after a few hours.

A few things they could do:

1. Put the player in a position where they have to open a rank door almost immediately. You've got your little hologram buddy, he's leading you around. Have the first two or three rooms be a linear path that leads the player to a door that doesn't open because they aren't the right rank. Then have the hologram buddy lead the player to shelter to sleep, then the player ranks up, is lead back to the door, then the door opens. Make it something the cannot miss. Then when they come across another door, they'll know what to do.

2. Make the rank up animation more easily noticeable and unskippable (at least the first few times). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure once you go to sleep you can just immediately hit continue or exit without watching the full animation. I'm pretty sure this is what I did, because I saw the slugcat picture, thought "that's cute" then hit continue and never noticed the the symbols on the left side were doing something. Slap that animation right in the middle of the screen, force players to watch it go up or down, whether via rest or death, then allow them to continue. That way when players get to a door, and see the symbols on/around it, they have a greater knowledge of what those symbols are.

3. I don't really like this next suggestion, but obviously, you can just tell the player what it is. Personally, I think finding a natural way to explain without text is better, but you do have text that pops up telling the player exactly what to do with other stuff like rain and food, so doing that with rank wouldn't be out of the question. But like I said, natural solutions are better than abstract ones.

Now, all that said, I must say I'm disappointed that the game released with the current ranking system in place at all. It doesn't make sense in the game world and I'm confident you guys could have come up with a better solution. But like you said, I'm sure you needed the game to come out eventually since you'd been working on it for so long, so I can understand if some things don't end up so great. It makes sense for there to be a ranking system of some sort, but not for it to be tied to opening doors in the environment. It doesn't make sense for these gates to act like bouncers, and only let me into their club if they think I'm cool enough. It would've been better if you rank simply affected other creatures. Like making certain lizards more aggressive because they think you're weak, but then they get less aggressive the more they learn how tough you are. Or certain animals befriend you once they learn you aren't a threat. Maybe all that's in the game already, I don't know. Point is that's all it should have been.

If you wanted to gate new areas, I think a traditional lock and key system would have worked much better. Because the world is harsh enough, and you already have the rain keeping you from progressing too far too fast, you could still achieve the "live like an animal" goal with a more traditional structure. Something like each gate to a new area requires a certain number of nodes to be found and activated in the world in order to unlock the gates. You have to explore the environment (the mid-level progression mentioned earlier), and you still have to go back and hibernate and maintain your food level and rank up (micro-progression) because the uncharted territory, the enemies, and the rain simply will not allow you to gun it to each node as quickly as possible. Hell, you could even make it so that the nodes were little glowing balls that the player had to carry them back to hibernation spots, because each hibernation spot has a little tube that carries the ball to the gate to help unlock it. Then, even if the player was fast enough to find nodes too quickly, they would only be able to carry two at a time. Theoretically, this type of system would maintain the fundamentals of the game, while being far less abstract and difficult to understand.

But still, the ranking system does do its job. And the progression of the game is really unique and interesting. It's just a shame that many people will have to go online and learn that it even exists before it will do its job properly, and many people won't even do that and will just drop the game. Because I've been having a great time now that I know about this stuff. Hopefully other people will too.

I'm running topside against a bunch of fucking spearchuckers and their tree of glowing gems or whatever the shit that is.

Multiple tries all ending up in random acts of failure.

The best bit was on the way to their camp, the scene before the camp (this topside) has a couple of spearchuckers hanging out, one of them starts pointing to the sky and one of those vulture birds comes swooping down.

We're all looking to haul ass outta there and the bird is going for me so I just hide in a pipe and the bird starts nosing for me, thankfully I jump out and jank past the bird and it ends up picking a spear chucker off, giving me enough time to lay a spear down and transition out of the scene onto the main spearchucker camp.

So I get there and it's glorious cos I have a bomb and I landed a good hit that got all of them (or so I thought) and I'm scampering past them and their tree, thankful to be out of that scene.

But oh no, this one asshole is still alive, he's at the other side of the scene, and he STILL lands the spear to the back of my head.

EDIT: lol wtf is with these spear chuckers, this guy just shook my hand

Cyanity

Banned
I'm running topside against a bunch of fucking spearchuckers and their tree of glowing gems or whatever the shit that is.

The best bit was on the way to their camp, the scene before the camp (this topside) has a couple of spearchuckers hanging out, one of them starts pointing to the sky and one of those vulture birds comes swooping down.

We're all looking to haul ass outta there and the bird is going for me so I just hide in a pipe and the bird starts nosing for me, thankfully I jump out and jank past the bird and it ends up picking a spear chucker off, giving me enough time to lay a spear down and transition out of the scene onto the main spearchucker camp.

So I get there and it's glorious cos I have a bomb and I landed a good hit that got all of them (or so I thought) and I'm scampering past them and their tree, thankful to be out of that scene.

But oh no, this one asshole is still alive, he's at the other side of the scene, and he STILL lands the spear to the back of my head.

Spoilers dude

JamesPrimate

Neo Member

LMAO

DD

I love this game. I do, but devs, please, fix the slugcat pipe entrance thingy. It's terrible when I'm trying to escape from an enemy and then Slugcat gets stuck (wedged? Sorry, English is not my main language) on the entrance. It's nice having to squeeze up and down a bit to enter a pipe when you're alone (a very nice touch, actually), but it's infuriating when you're trying to run from a vulture or a lizard and it simply don't go down. :(

Cyanity

Banned
Point out to me specifically what could possibly be conceived as a spoiler lol. Spear chuckers?

The very last bit of your original post

I love this game. I do, but devs, please, fix the slugcat pipe entrance thingy. It's terrible when I'm trying to escape from an enemy and then Slugcat gets stuck (wedged? Sorry, English is not my main language) on the entrance. It's nice having to squeeze up and down a bit to enter a pipe when you're alone (a very nice touch, actually), but it's infuriating when you're trying to run from a vulture or a lizard. :(

I think they're already working on a fix

DD

I think they're already working on a fix

I hope so! it's probably the most frustrating thing in this game.

Also, I'm playing with the Xbox 360 D-pad on PC. Should I use the Dualshock 4k, since the D-pad on the X360 controller is kind of bad? I've never plugued the DS4 on my PC. Is it plug & play or do I have to install something?

I've made basically no progress, but I'm getting really lucky and keeping my rank topped off, so once I can find a damn gate or understand what the hell some of these friendly things or my guide wants me to do, I'll be able to move forward.

But in the meantime, the game's doing some cool stuff.

Vulture saving me from 2 Camo Lizards

q3030nh.gif

When you need food, but 2 asshole predators are camping the bat nest.

SdzfpPp.gif

#ExtremeSlugcatHunting

WvFuDxR.gif

Amazing AI tracking and matching my moves when I escape from his grasp after it carried my "dead" body for like 5 screens.

hp0ZHlj.gif

I love this game. I do, but devs, please, fix the slugcat pipe entrance thingy. It's terrible when I'm trying to escape from an enemy and then Slugcat gets stuck (wedged? Sorry, English is not my main language) on the entrance. It's nice having to squeeze up and down a bit to enter a pipe when you're alone (a very nice touch, actually), but it's infuriating when you're trying to run from a vulture or a lizard and it simply don't go down. :(
They hear you
5vORJyC.gif

Joar2

Neo Member
And yeah, we hear you. I'm deep in the code right now working on some of the most easily fixed but frustrating kinks for the first update.

Kansoku

So I tried to venture into Garbage Wastes a bunch of times but couldn't progress (the two paths I took ended in a pipe too high for me to climb on, and no sticks in sight to make a platform), and even though I passed through 2 shelters there was no food in sight, so I couldn't hibernate. So I went back to Industrial and trying to regain my rank to move through another gate.

In the meantime, do you guys have any tips for Garbage Wastes if I ever decide to go back there?

Amazing AI tracking and matching my moves when I escape from his grasp after it carried my "dead" body for like 5 screens.

hp0ZHlj.gif

Wait, wait...
After it dropped you off, did you regain control? Did you "un-die"?

Yeah until a predator "stashes" you off screen, they can be attacked or lose their grasp of you and you can escape. I've had lizards shake me violently and fling me across the screen by accident allowing me to get away. DO NOT RESTART IMMEDIATELY WHEN YOU'RE CAPTURED.

Cyanity

Banned
Yeah until a predator "stashes" you off screen, they can be attacked or lose their grasp of you and you can escape. I've had lizards shake me violently and fling me across the screen by accident allowing me to get away. DO NOT RESTART IMMEDIATELY WHEN YOU'RE CAPTURED.

They really should remove "Game Over" from the screen when you're captured, since your game clearly isn't over until you're off screen. (most of the time, anyway)

edit - On a completely unrelated note, has anyone else been wondering about just how long the slug cat actually hibernates for? That rain is strong, yo. Is it just days? Weeks? Months even? Kinda curious.

edit - On a completely unrelated note, has anyone else been wondering about just how long the slug cat actually hibernates for? That rain is strong, yo. Is it just days? Weeks? Months even? Kinda curious.

i feel that it's a season. Seems that respawns are on a 4 sleep cycle

JamesPrimate

Neo Member
They really should remove "Game Over" from the screen when you're captured, since your game clearly isn't over until you're off screen. (most of the time, anyway)

sort of agreed! I think we'll change it to some sort of "Game Over?" for when captured, then a proper "Game Over" when ded. Also were looking into ways that this mechanic can be buffed a bit. Possibly allowing the player to grab spears while captures if they are nearby?

Just got to
The Wall
which is a pretty crazy difficulty spike, and I'm not sure what to do or if I'm supposed to be here or what is happening and I've lost my ranks.

Edit: wow, just got pretty far before running into one of the most troll enemy placements I've seen in this game so far. Fffffff

Edit2: omg that was some of the most tense platforming I've ever played.

Edit 3: ummmmmm WAT

Can anyone explain what I just saw
up there

Top Bottom