• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend some good horror movies

I like slashers mostly, but also ones with a creepy creature like babadook. I just feel like recommendations I find on Google are kind of eh. So hit me with some good ones!

intbal

Probably should go in Off-Topic, but I'll give you a couple.

Pandorum (2009) - Do you mind a little scifi with your horror? Definitely has a creature.

Frailty (2001) - My personal favorite horror film. Probably doesn't fit your needs, but it's rarely recommended for horror.

Bartski

Sinister, hereditary, midsommar and evil dead 2013. Everything else was utter garbage for more than a decade

Most recently Terrifier 2 but that's more of a comedy

eye__writ

Neo Member
Hush (2016) - Slasher/home invasion film, with the twist of the woman being stalked being blind.
Laid To Rest (2009) - Chromeskull is too often overlooked as a franchise slasher for my liking.
Under the Shadow (2016) - If you don't mind subtitles, this marvellous little film, set in a Tehran tower block in the 1980s, falls into the creepy creature category.

IDKFA

May I recommend the 2002 British classic, Dog Soldiers. It doesn't have a creepy creature (although the werewolves are all practical and look amazing) it could be sort of considered "slasher".

dog-soldiers.jpg

sedg87

Monsters/Love Craftian-ish movies
Horror Express
Evil Dead films
In the Mouth of Madness
The Beyond
The Void
Phantasm

Something a bit different: Bone Tomahawk. Really slow but worth it for the last half an hour.

I love this movie. Jason Mewes and Judah Friedlander needed more screen time though!
I rewatched last night and was surprised by the edit to biker chick scene. I didn't know there was another version and for a moment I thought I may have imagined that part of the movie and got a little disturbed with myself. Luckily, the unrated version was on youtube to verify.

In no particular order and off the top of my head:

Midsommar
Hereditary
The Witch
The Lighthouse
The Blackcoat's Daughter (known as February in some markets)
It Follows
Veronica
RAW
Cabin in the Woods
The Invitation
Let The Right One In (or Let Me In which is the US remake)
Gwen
A Dark Song
Oculus
Apostle
The Void
As Above, So Below

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

1. The Wailing

2. BWP

3. Insidious

If you end up liking the Wailing, and want more Korean horror:

1. Train to Busan

2. Gonjiam

If you like BWP and want more good found footage:

1. Taking of Deborah Logan

2. Gonjiam (as already recommended above)

If you liked Insidious:

1. Sinister

2. The Thing

There is much wider suggestions and list I can give, but this is a good starting point for modern horror (90s-now), in my opinion (though the Thing is 80s), and I tried not to cross to much into prior comments with suggestions I didn’t think needed repeating.

Last edited:
Recently I enjoyed The Dark and the Wicked, The Medium and Terrifier 2.
Okay to be fair, the latter is more funny than scary.

MudoSkills

Malignant firmly straddles the horror/comedy line but is absolutely glorious - and genuinely one of the best things I've seen in years.

If, for some inexplicable reason, you've never seen Scream, get on that. Similarly, would echo recommendations for Cabin in the Woods.

Top Bottom