• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit can be annoying sometimes

supernova8

You ask what should be a super simple question and then you get all sorts of bullshit responses that make you wonder whether your question was badly worded or whether they are just being difficult on purpose.

For instance:

Q: "Any recommendations for a good pizza restaurant in XX city?

A: "Why not just get a pizza from the shop? It's cheaper, I recommend ... [insert delivery place]"

A: "Come on, you know real foodies make their own pizzas. Only the best fresh mozzarella cheese from this bootique cheese dealer down a back alley in Italy"

A: "Pizza sucks, just get go for chicken and fries"

Maybe 20% of the responses are actual restaurant recommendations but then like a third of those will be recommendations for some other fucking country.

People on reddit are (in my experience) usually pretty helpful especially if you're on a welcoming subreddit with less jaded dickheads, but sometimes it boils my blood.

Anyone have this experience on reddit?

Elder Legend

Yoir Aee Member
You ask what should be a super simple question and then you get all sorts of bullshit responses that make you wonder whether your question was badly worded or whether they are just being difficult on purpose.

For instance:

A: "Why not just get a pizza from the shop? It's cheaper, I recommend ... [insert delivery place]"

A: "Come on, you know real foodies make their own pizzas. Only the best fresh mozzarella cheese from this bootique cheese dealer down a back alley in Italy"

Maybe 20% of the responses are actual restaurant recommendations but then like a third of those will be recommendations for some other fucking country.

People on reddit are (in my experience) usually pretty helpful especially if you're on a welcoming subreddit with less jaded dickheads, but sometimes it boils my blood.

People on reddit seem like a bunch of goblin basement dwellers who think they know everything better than everyone else. I kind of despise that place and never really interact on there just because of those reasons imo.

If I really wanna know something, I'll ask my friends or people I trust to be honest.

I can attest to this and i've used it since 2016. Reddit is a wretched hive(mind) of neckbeards and pseudo-intellectualism and they downvote anything that goes against the general consensus. The site instantly became much better when they made the block button properly functional.

Last edited:

For instance:

I've come to see people who reply like that as ultimately beneficial idiots, because at least they're bumping my thread. And yes, reddit can be annoying. I'd say that's an understatement.

Reddit is complete trash. So as to not be like Reddit I will attempt to answer your question.

I have asked questions on there. The answers were not impressive, nor helpful. I'll still check Reddit every once in a while for subs specific to a video game. Mostly Destiny 2 these days. Just to catch any news or new useful exploits (these can be pure gold in a grindy game like D2).

Other than that I like to lightly troll and watch my Karma supply rapidly dwindle on occasion.

Site hasn't been good since like The Fappening.

Nico_D

Isn't that the internet and not just Reddit? Which admittedly seems to be sone kind of pigeonhole of insanity but I think I see this kind of imagined cleverness everywhere.

Skyfox

Curated digg was always better (digg was sold though so don't bother).

Reddit's design was corrupt from the very beginning.

Find better subreddits, honestly. I think Reddit is a great place for information, news, memes and nsfw content.

A lot of subreddits are actually great with a lot of helpful people.

Great advice. Finding a subreddit for a hobby/interest/streamer that hasn't been "captured" by wokies/tankies is a blessing.

Other use cases where Reddit can be decent:
* Troubleshooting a tech program, PC game, etc.
* Finding links to specific version of a program
* Identifying a location/person shown in a photo
* "Sailing the seven seas"

GeekyDad

For instance:

Wow, that reads like a lot of Gaf threads.

supernova8

Find better subreddits, honestly. I think Reddit is a great place for information, news, memes and nsfw content.

This subreddit in particular has a handful of "wise old men" who are genuinely super knowledgeable but they don't always come out to play. You often just end up with the riff raff who feel the need to comment on every post even if they have nothing useful to add.

Amey

You need to gaslight those bitches. The best way to ask for other's opinion is to tell them you don't need their opinion and you've already made up your mind.
for e.g Title: You haven't eaten nothing till you've tasted the Pizza from XX <restaurant> from YY <city>.

Scotty W

You need to gaslight those bitches. The best way to ask for other's opinion is to tell them you don't need their opinion and you've already made up your mind.
for e.g Title: You haven't eaten nothing till you've tasted the Pizza from XX <restaurant> from YY <city>.
Just use the yes meme for everything?

Q: which is better, Pizza Hut or Pizza Hut?
Me: Yes.

Never fails.

nani17

are in a big trouble
People on reddit seem like a bunch of goblin basement dwellers who think they know everything better than everyone else. I kind of despise that place and never really interact on there just because of those reasons imo.

If I really wanna know something, I'll ask my friends or people I trust to be honest.
35d0-5508-4eff-be72-844e0467ff81.jpg

VN1X

What I find most annoying is that when there's an actual interesting query/post/etc the first bunch of replies will all be reactions to the "funny" post at the top. So when you're on the mobile app you first have to go through tens if not hundreds of other "funny" replies before you get to the good stuff.

That plus it's infested with bots and other bad actors (even admins themselves) making sure to boost certain content instead of anything that isn't mainstream.

i stopped posting on it a few years ago. you'd always get some cunt wanting to argue and if you said something they didn't like then your comment gets downvoted into hell so nobody sees it. it's a fucking waste of time and energy trying to interact with them.

i do still have an account but i only use it for watching stupid videos, cute animal pics, and reading shit when i'm bored. deleted all my comments and haven't posted anything since maybe 2018.

Kacho

I’m not a regular user but I’ve noticed that subs vary in quality.

I asked a question on one of the gaming subs and my thread got locked because they wanted me to use a general purpose question thread that no one responded to. The rest of the threads on that sub were unfunny memes.

On other subs I’ll ask a question and get a direct response from someone who works with the company offering support.

Tldr ymmv

Spyxos

As others have said here, every time I want to read something there, the first answer is some stupid joke. I have also rarely understood why I get for a normal answer today only downvotes. and tomorrow 1k upvotes basically for the same answer.

It's really only good for reading and even then I'd like to hide 50% directly.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Yup. Hard to say Reddit is any one thing since subs can be so different.

Tams

Most of it is terrible. Most of, say, the game subs, are just memes and/or fanart and most it bad.

Annoyingly, it is also the only place to that you can get some answers as the only wide-ranging place people share their experiences and opinions. I have a mouse where the only record of a fix for its laggy software is a reddit thread. And annoying as the Japan subs can be, they are really the only place some complex stuff is explained well like taxes.

If I'm doing a search (and not using ChatGPT or Bing these days), then I also append 'reddit' to the end, otherwise you just get utter rubbish search results.

So if you're just looking for some solution to something, then it's often pretty good. As a community though it's shit.

Fuz

I can attest to this and i've used it since 2016. Reddit is a wretched hive(mind) of neckbeards and pseudo-intellectualism and they downvote anything that goes against the general consensus. The site instantly became much better when they made the block button properly functional.
Reddit used to be fun but now it's just an over moderated hellhole.
The problem with reddit is that a lot of the popular subreddits have been captured by mods punishing people for going against the hivemind. Well, that, and a lot of mental health issues get propagated through it with peer reinforcement.
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

Last edited:

diffusionx

The problem with reddit is that a lot of the popular subreddits have been captured by mods punishing people for going against the hivemind. Well, that, and a lot of mental health issues get propagated through it with peer reinforcement.

This isn't really a "problem", it is a core element, maybe the core element, of Reddit's design. Reddit exists to engineer and enforce a social consensus, period.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
TLDR: most large subreddits have terrible mods and users, Reddit admins ignore this, so choose the subreddits you actually engage with carefully

I'll echo what some have already said: some subreddits are better than others.

I'll add that starting around 2017 many of the major subreddits began falling under the influence of groups of so-called "power mods". These are individuals who have multiple accounts and were able to wiggle their way into being made mods of numerous large subreddits - usually because they all band together and grant their "friends" mod privileges once they themselves obtain it. Some are mods of an astounding amount of subreddits. They are almost universally authoritarian, petty, and overly sensitive.

So, many of us Reddit old heads know to basically stay away from places like /r/art, /r/images, /r/funny, /r/movies, etc - basically the largest and most active subs. They're fine to browse, just not engage with. Even attempting to make a genuine submission to them can often get a person banned permanently; accidentally submit something was already posted last week but you missed? Too bad, emotional power mod A, B, or C will perma ban you for this single terrible transgression. Make an obviously blue joke and you may even have a power mod report you to a Reddit admin (actual employee) for account action. Some are notorious for banning people who criticize them from all of the subreddits they moderate.

To top it off the Reddit admins let these power mods run wild even after they've been reported literally tens of thousands of times for breaking the Reddit rules themselves while moderating poorly. I assume Reddit figures they're free labor so they turn a blind eye.

I stick to a small-ish number of subreddits with reasonable moderators who allow users to joke around and who exercise reasonable actions. My biggest problem with Reddit is all of the constant reposting by bots. One could spend fifteen minutes browsing Reddit these days and see the same thing reposted across a dozen subreddits dozens of times over the course of just a few days. IMO Reddit's lack of action towards power mods and reposts is what caused its stagnation in growth after 2020.

Ownage

Reddit helped me talk about what I was feeling during my divorce. There were some good strategies and thoughts pitched, and I'm grateful for it.

There's also a whole lot of woke nonsense on there as well.

Top Bottom