• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn Explains Why Star Wars Jedi: Survivor Isn’t on PS4, Xbox One

star-wars-jedi-survivor-screen.jpg

In the March 2023 edition of PLAY magazine, game director Stig Asmussen explained why Star Wars Jedi: Survivor isn’t appearing on last-gen consoles.

[PS5 ALLOWS US] TO CREATE MUCH LARGER MAPS, WITH MORE DETAIL, GREATER DENSITY, BROADER ENEMY/NPC VARIETY, AND OVERALL FIDELITY.” “WE DIDN’T WANT TO BREAK WHAT WE DID IN THE FIRST GAME… WE WANTED TO EVOLVE/ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE.

Jedi: Fallen Order was a fantastic upgrade that really brought the game into its own.

You’ll experience the benefit of the more powerful hardware throughout Survivor.

Bottom line, we learned quickly that we could take advantage of the faster processors, larger/faster memory, better loading times, etc, to create much larger maps, with more detail, greater density, broader enemy/NPC variety, and overall fidelity.

These features aligned perfectly with how we wanted to push the game.

We didn’t want to break what we did in the first game because it was well received, but we wanted to evolve/ enhance the experience.

This new generation allowed us to do exactly that, and I believe it translates to a true new-gen experience in the Star Wars universe.

Well, there you have. Mind, this makes perfect sense since forcing the game to work on both last-gen and next-gen platforms would probably gimp the one running on more powerful hardware, thus affecting the overall gameplay.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Unlike Jim, I don't care about generations. The game being fun is what matters the most.

Mister Wolf

The game should be using Lumen or some other form of raytraced GI. Hopefully they give us PC players the option to use such features.

…because it’s mid-2023 when this game releases and last-gen consoles are a decade old. That’s why.

We’re three years into the new console generation, honestly at this point most games should be moving onto next-gen only, assuming they are high-end. Obviously indies and such can go onto last-gen and Switch indefinitely, if there remains an audience there that doesn’t own a current-gen console.

But, really it’s about time.

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

Mind, this makes perfect sense since forcing the game to work on both last-gen and next-gen platforms would probably gimp the one running on more powerful hardware, thus affecting the overall gameplay.

I’ve never understood this claim. Has this ever been an issue with PCs which which have to run on a much larger gaps in GPUs, etc.? Of this was/is the case, why do people even bother getting the latest and great hardware if they’ve been gimped by less powerful hardware?

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
It's great that they are using it to enhance the GAMEPLAY experience, but couldnt have hurt to improve visuals and at least the PS2 quality animations.

kiphalfton

…because it’s mid-2023 when this game releases and last-gen consoles are a decade old. That’s why.

We’re three years into the new console generation, honestly at this point most games should be moving onto next-gen only, assuming they are high-end. Obviously indies and such can go onto last-gen and Switch indefinitely, if there remains an audience there that doesn’t own a current-gen console.

But, really it’s about time.

Those two things are the same thing...

saintjules

Besides this, was FF7R the only one other game so far that it's sequel is new-gen only? Meaning there won't be a PS4 version, leaving some users behind.

Those two things are the same thing...
Not sure what your point is. Switch is nowhere near the level of power of either of the last-gen machines. But i assume that’s not your point because my post really has nothing to do with there being any difference between Switch and Xbox One/ PS4. I was literally just referencing older machines that don’t qualify as current-gen. Feel free to use whatever nomenclature you prefer, I really couldn’t care less 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

TonyK

It has sense. It's s because that Red Dead Redemption 2 is next gen only. It would have been impos... hmm, wait.

ToTTenTranz

Does this mean I'm not going to look at a loading screen for 5 whole minutes every time I'm killed by an enemy, despite the respawns from falling off cliffs being instantaneous?

Kataploom

but it dosen't look Next-Gen.
I accept that graphical leap isn't that big as other generations, but the first one was already pushing those systems hard, it's one of the best looking 8th gen game by far, this one looks better and bigger, after playing A Plague Tale Requiem I can see how that game couldn't be achieved on PS4 and Xbone and this one seems pretty similar in graphic quality if you ask me...

proandrad

What does even ‘next gen look’ means?
Endless amount of motion blur, particle effects, and shinny wet surfaces in a 1080p compressed YouTube video.

Oh, and slow camera movement to hide a shit framerate.

Last edited:

Darchaos

Why do they have to explain? Maybe Nintendo should explain why they dont make games for Nintendo 8-bit anymore? I mean, its pretty simple, its old and shitty consoles, go and die in a fire you fucks. (i meant the old consoles, you fucks) Why would anyone even want to turn on an ps4 anymore? If i want to hear a jet takeoff i drag my fat ass to an nearby airport.

FBeeEye

star-wars-jedi-survivor-screen.jpg

In the March 2023 edition of PLAY magazine, game director Stig Asmussen explained why Star Wars Jedi: Survivor isn’t appearing on last-gen consoles.

Well, there you have. Mind, this makes perfect sense since forcing the game to work on both last-gen and next-gen platforms would probably gimp the one running on more powerful hardware, thus affecting the overall gameplay.

[/URL]
Why does it look like it's running on a PS4 Pro.

Top Bottom