• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

legolas119

Neo Member
1. wrong. Just replace the exe you don't need the rest
2. yes, currently no indication of updates, best indication is to follow the repos on github :p
3. you mean no items I guess you roms are not no-intro or something?
4. I just explained overrides a few posts above this
5. under quick menu when you load a game

Well, thanks

1) ah ok! only to override the .exe file? so easy?

2) ok!

3) well, now I added a rom in the folder. So I firstly push Load Content --> Select File And Detect Core. After that, if I go under my System list, the new rom isn't available (is it normal). So, in a 2nd time I push Add Content -->Scan directory and after the scan there is No Itmes. But now if I return in my System rom list, the new rom appears!!! So, is this the right way to load and then refresh the rom list?

4) ok, Post 3191.
So, for example, now I'm working on my first emulator, bsnes_accuracy. When I have finished I have to:
a) create a new folder: config/bsnes_accuracy
b) create a .cfg file in config/bsnes_accuracy/bsnes_accuracy.cfg
But how can I create it? probably I have to create it diretly from Retroarch, pushing SAVE NEW CONFIG?
c) after that, when i load the snes emulòator, Retroarch automatically detect its own config file or have I to load it manually (with the option LOAD CONFIGURATION)?
d) is it necessary to activate the option Configuration --> Configuration per-core? By default it is OFF...

5) ok! well, i tried to select crt_royale.cfg in order to simulate a crt but i have a problem: the screen is cropped at left and right when I enlarge the screen...why? Probably i have to modify Custom viewport Width and Height from default values to 1920 and 1080 respectively? But i see that the value Height = 1080 isn't available...but my lcd is a fullhd monitor 1920*1080 so how can I set up it correctly? Now i set Width = 1920 and Height =1200...
Now I set Use FullScreen Mode = ON so in this way the screen is not cropped, but i don't know if this is the right way...

6) if i want to use the filter for RGB (that it is the better choice if i'm not wrong), i have selected Blarg_NTSC_SNES_RGB because it is the unique RGB filter. is it correct?

thank you!

zoozilla

I've been having trouble getting FB Alpha to work.

I'll choose FBA as the core, select a rom, and it'll go straight back to RA's main menu.

I cannot seem to get FBA to run any Neo Geo games. Not sure what about my setup is causing this. I've tried different builds and deleting my config - is there something specific I have to do for FBA?

Awakened

I've been having trouble getting FB Alpha to work.

I'll choose FBA as the core, select a rom, and it'll go straight back to RA's main menu.

I cannot seem to get FBA to run any Neo Geo games. Not sure what about my setup is causing this. I've tried different builds and deleting my config - is there something specific I have to do for FBA?
You need the Neo Geo BIOS (neogeo.zip) in the same folder as your ROMs.

zoozilla

You need the Neo Geo BIOS (neogeo.zip) in the same folder as your ROMs.

Yeah, I've got that. MAME seems to work without a problem, but I'm running this on a laptop and FBA is supposed to be a little faster.

It just needs to be in the same folder, right? I don't need to somehow point to it or anything?

Pretty impressed by the Sega Saturn Mednafen core,
tried Thunder Force V yesterday and worked pretty well.
I hope the core will be improved, the audio wasn't perfect, but still this is a good improvement.
Especially you do not need to use DaemonTools to emulate the CD anymore, like with SSF.

Awakened

Yeah, I've got that. MAME seems to work without a problem, but I'm running this on a laptop and FBA is supposed to be a little faster.

It just needs to be in the same folder, right? I don't need to somehow point to it or anything?
Yeah, same folder, just like MAME. Maybe the ROMs aren't the right version? FBA uses MAME ROMs, so you could look up what version of FBA you're using and see what version of the MAME set it needs. Neo Geo ROMs don't change often between sets, but the BIOS zip does from time to time.

Had a run of bad luck last night.

Wanted to try out the new Saturn core so I installed the latest build (8/15). First thing I noticed was that the Xbox button on my X1 controller no longer takes me in and out of the quick menu. I'm not sure if something changed in Windows or in RetroArch but no big deal, I just defined L3+R3 as the menu hotkey and continued on.

Next I tried to get the new Saturn core working but of course it did not at first. Yabause still worked, so my BIOS files were present, but I've used RA enough to suspect it was still a BIOS issue. I couldn't find instructions on the Retroarch pages or forums but after some web searching I figured out the proper naming of my BIOS files from the Mednafen 0.9.39 documentation. Finally, I got a Saturn boot sequence.

Then the game I was trying, Shinobi Legions, still didn't work, despite working fine in the Yabause core. I only own 3 Saturn games but thankfully the other 2 games worked beautifully (World Series Baseball, WWF Wrestlemania Arcade), and the new core is really impressive. It's already an improvement over the other Saturn emulators I've tried, at least with my small selection of games. I'm not sure why Shinobi doesn't work. It may be a bad rip, and Yabause is just more forgiving. I'm going to re-rip on a different PC when I get home and see if that fixes the issue.

legolas119

Neo Member
ok guys, i solved some problems :) But I still have these questions, can you help me please?

1) in order to create specifc config file for some emulator, I will follow the override way. Currently i have configured only one emulator (bsnes_accuracy) with a filter and a shader, and I changed the standard input configuartion in the SNES joypad. So, for example, if now I have to configure a new emulator (NES for example) and I need to change command input or filter/shaders, it is necessary to create a new specific .cfg file, is it correct? If so, i have to:
A) save a backup of my current Retroarch.cfg file.
B) then I change configurations of NES joypad (or shader) and then i push SAVE A NEW CONFIG (the file name has to be with a particular name? for example bnes.cfg?) And now? What I have to do? Have i have to create only ONE .cfg file, that includes both emulators configurations?

2) Ok, i discovered that the new shader is crt-royale-kurozumi.cgp. But how I have to modify Custom viewport Width and Height from default values (960 and 720) to 1920 and 1080 respectively? I see that the value Height = 1080 isn't available...but my lcd is a fullhd monitor 1920*1080 so how can I set up it correctly? Now i set Width = 1920 and Height =1200... ​​​​​​​but i don't know if it is correct...

3) if i want to use the filter for RGB (that it is the better choice if i'm not wrong), i have selected Blarg_NTSC_SNES_RGB because it is the unique RGB filter. is it correct?

4) Emulators: for SNES, which is the best? bsnes_accuracy or bsnes-mercury_accuracy? And for NES, wich is in your opinion the best emulator available in Retroarch?

5) PROBLEM: I added a new core, FB Alpha for Neo Geo. I followed these steps:
A) Core Updater --> Added FB Alpha Neo Geo
B) Then Update Databases and Upate Core Info Files
C) Finally Load Content à Select File And Detect Core and Add Content -->Scan directory.
But when I push Load Core and i select Neo Geo (FBA Alpha), it doesn't appear the icons at the end of the Xbar and I continue to see the icon of Snes' joypad with its romlist. But now if i try to load a snes rom, retroarch creashes probably because there is the neo geo core loaded... how can i solve this issue?

thank you very much!

Awakened

Had a run of bad luck last night.

Wanted to try out the new Saturn core so I installed the latest build (8/15). First thing I noticed was that the Xbox button on my X1 controller no longer takes me in and out of the quick menu. I'm not sure if something changed in Windows or in RetroArch but no big deal, I just defined L3+R3 as the menu hotkey and continued on.

Next I tried to get the new Saturn core working but of course it did not at first. Yabause still worked, so my BIOS files were present, but I've used RA enough to suspect it was still a BIOS issue. I couldn't find instructions on the Retroarch pages or forums but after some web searching I figured out the proper naming of my BIOS files from the Mednafen 0.9.39 documentation. Finally, I got a Saturn boot sequence.

Then the game I was trying, Shinobi Legions, still didn't work, despite working fine in the Yabause core. I only own 3 Saturn games but thankfully the other 2 games worked beautifully (World Series Baseball, WWF Wrestlemania Arcade), and the new core is really impressive. It's already an improvement over the other Saturn emulators I've tried, at least with my small selection of games. I'm not sure why Shinobi doesn't work. It may be a bad rip, and Yabause is just more forgiving. I'm going to re-rip on a different PC when I get home and see if that fixes the issue.
If you got the Win10 anniversary update, Game DVR might be blocking the guide button input again. See if hitting it when you're on your desktop brings up the DVR overlay and if it does go into it's settings and disable the button shortcut.

Shinobi Legions runs fine for me in the Mednafen Saturn core, so probably a dump issue.

zoozilla

Yeah, same folder, just like MAME. Maybe the ROMs aren't the right version? FBA uses MAME ROMs, so you could look up what version of FBA you're using and see what version of the MAME set it needs. Neo Geo ROMs don't change often between sets, but the BIOS zip does from time to time.

Yeah, I guess it was the BIOS. Switched that out and now it's working fine. Thanks for the help!

Lettuce

How do yuo get the ParaLLEI N64 core to work, tried it when it was first released and just tried it again now and it still doesn't work, just seems to quit RA when i try and load a rom??

If you got the Win10 anniversary update, Game DVR might be blocking the guide button input again. See if hitting it when you're on your desktop brings up the DVR overlay and if it does go into it's settings and disable the button shortcut.

Shinobi Legions runs fine for me in the Mednafen Saturn core, so probably a dump issue.

Thanks for the suggestions. You were correct on both accounts. I'll explain in case this helps anyone.

I do have the anniversary update, and I had gone into the Xbox app and turned off the functionality that brought up the Game Bar, but it turns out that is not the setting that needs to be adjusted. You have to turn that back on, bring up the game bar (I used Win+G), and then go into the Game DVR settings and turn off the functionality there. Then you can disable the button in the Xbox app too. Xbox button is working great in RA again.

As for Shinobi Legions, it was indeed a bad rip, I went home and re-ripped on an external blu-ray drive instead of my internal DVD and the new rip plays. The actual gameplay is great on the Mednafen core, with less graphical errors than Yabause. However, the FMVs that play at the start of the stages are a little less smooth on the new core, whereas they are perfect on Yaba. This is no big deal as I'll take gameplay over FMV any day of the week.

Hi All,

Thank you for introducing me to Retroarch - it's amazing. But rather detailed!

I'm currently setting up a Launchbox + Retroarch solution. So far things are working well. I also like to use overlays so I get a nice border when playing the games.

The snag is that, depending on mood, I may be using one of two monitors, (UHD on one, 1080p on the other). As these are different dimensions, the viewport positioning for one isn't suitable for the other.

At the moment, I'm working around this by having two config folders:

\config
\configX

Suitable settings are in each folder, I just ensure the appropriate folder is called "config" before running Retroarch depending on the screen I intend to output to.

Using Launchbox as a frontend means I give a specific path to a config file for Retroarch to use as it starts up.

Is there a more graceful way of managing this?

I need some help with PC Engine CD on Retroarch (Windows 64bit). If I scan a folder for them it doesn't show up under the PC Engine menu (only Hucards in there), but if I manually select it via "load content" it works fine. Any idea how for the love of God, I can get Retroarch to include my PCE CD images when scanning for games?

Thanks!

nkarafo

Any news about video playback crashing with Nvidia cards?

Latest drivers and nightly still have the issue. It's been a few months since this problem is known, has someone managed to pinpoint the cause of the issue? Or even better, a temporary fix of some sort?

Awakened

I need some help with PC Engine CD on Retroarch (Windows 64bit). If I scan a folder for them it doesn't show up under the PC Engine menu (only Hucards in there), but if I manually select it via "load content" it works fine. Any idea how for the love of God, I can get Retroarch to include my PCE CD images when scanning for games?

Thanks!
Databases for PCECD were added fairly recently, so you might need to update yours. Your dumps have to match Redump, TOSEC or Trurip to be added.

Aku-Audi

Oh god...

TXuf8tD.png

aRiWBss.jpg

http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6744

Lettuce

I take it that shaders cant be used with the Vulkan video driver?

On another note, Im trying to setup RetroArch on a Raspberry Pi 3 device, but having issues with both shaders and Overlays. If i load a shader it displays fine but if i try and go and edit the shader settings via the Parameter settings it causes RA to crash. Theres also a similar issue with using Overlays, if i apply and overlay and then try ans scale it this also causes RA to crash, any ideas what could be causing this?

I'm using the Wii port of retroarch for the first time. I can load up a core just fine, but whenever I try to boot a SNES rom, the screen goes black and after about 30 seconds or so the homebrew channel is back on screen. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm running everything off the SD card btw.

EDIT: I removed the latest version of Retroarch and went back to a build from like 4 months ago. Seems to be working just fine.

Radius4

something's coming up...
Code:
RetroArch [INFO] :: Overrides:
RetroArch [INFO] ::    original: rewind_enable=0
RetroArch [INFO] ::    override: rewind_enable=1
RetroArch [INFO] ::    original: video_hard_sync=0
RetroArch [INFO] ::    override: video_hard_sync=1

Knurek

something's coming up...
Code:
RetroArch [INFO] :: Overrides:
RetroArch [INFO] ::    original: rewind_enable=0
RetroArch [INFO] ::    override: rewind_enable=1
RetroArch [INFO] ::    original: video_hard_sync=0
RetroArch [INFO] ::    override: video_hard_sync=1

BTW, 2016-08-26 nightly (haven't tried earlier builds) fixes that autosavestate regression I've mentioned earlier.
Thank you for that. :)

Saftle

Neo Member
So is the Vulkan video driver better than OpenGL, or do they have their pros and cons??

Vulkan currently doesn't work with all cores. CG and GLS shaders also do not work with Vulkan. So, in the meantime only using Vulkan with parallel is probably the best way to go. Also, the new slang shaders which are Vulkan compatible are in the works.

Edit: Just realized that most of what I wrote was answered above.

nkarafo

CG and GLS shaders also do not work with Vulkan.
Strange, i use a CG shader for ParaLLEl and it works, i don't remember which preset it is however, it only shows the shader passes. One pass is "bilateral.cg" and the other says "bob and ghost deinterlace".

Radius4

You certainly can't use CG shaders with the Vulkan backend it will either crash or just not load the shaders.
Vulkan is a bit bad with RA/Nvidia, there are some vsync issues, jerky scrolling and no fast-forwarding for some reason.

I just loaded up some Super Mario 64 on the Windows build and noticed that the anolog stick is invered. Up is down and down is up. I've spent the late 20 mins troubleshooting and going through all the various controls to see if I could correct it. I have no clue what to do, Anyone have any suggestions? I'm using the nightly build 1.3.6 from probably a few weeks ago and the newest Mupen64 2.0 core

Brhoom

Banned
Is there a way to enable the blur that was in N64 games? Tempted to send my N64 to have it Hdmi modded but I'm not sure if I should do it now or wait and see how N64 emulation progress.

Awakened

Is there a way to enable the blur that was in N64 games? Tempted to send my N64 to have it Hdmi modded but I'm not sure if I should do it now or wait and see how N64 emulation progress.
I think that's what the VI filter core option does when using the angrylion plugin. I don't believe that's working in paraLLEl yet, so you probably won't get full speed with that effect until it does.

There isn't a way to enable the VI filter currently and be able to play at full speed using retro arch or any emulator. Parallels is going to add this feature, but it will take a little time. Right now they are speeding up the implementation by implementing a dynamic recompile to get around the last major bottlenecks. After that they are going to add in the VI filter to get that authentic n64 look. I think we have to just be patient while they figure it all out and implement it. Check out some of the more recent posts on libretro.com for more details.

Awakened

There isn't a way to enable the VI filter currently and be able to play at full speed using retro arch or any emulator. Parallels is going to add this feature, but it will take a little time. Right now they are speeding up the implementation by implementing a dynamic recompile to get around the last major bottlenecks. After that they are going to add in the VI filter to get that authentic n64 look. I think we have to just be patient while they figure it all out and implement it. Check out some of the more recent posts on libretro.com for more details.
There's also a shader that tries to replicate the VI filter look that should be a decent way to get that look until that's done.

Top Bottom