• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

deadfolk

Just trying this out and although it says it has recognised my wired 360 controller, it's not actually responding - either in the menu or within the cores.

Anyone seen this issue?

Radius4

I like CRT easymode best

and still no PS2 core

You make it sound like if it was due to lazyness or something....
PCSX2 codebase is more difficult than Dolphin, the code is not PIC compatiable and it doesn't work on x86_64 so people would need to mantain two retroarch installations for one core

Just trying this out and although it says it has recognised my wired 360 controller, it's not actually responding - either in the menu or within the cores.

Anyone seen this issue?

Close steam if you have it running, then restart retroarch.
Steam has been hijacking xinput for a few months now

Wonko_C

What's the 'best' CRT shader or version for 1080p?

I wish to know that too. I've tried everything and end up coming back to no shaders at all. I don't see what I can use to turn this:

55-30086-ffvi_upres.png

Into this:

30085-ffvi_ntsc.png

linko9

I mean... if that's what you want to do there are probably a number of shaders you could use, but it doesn't look anything like a CRT.

Awakened

Close steam if you have it running, then restart retroarch.
Steam has been hijacking xinput for a few months now
I haven't run into this. I'm not in the Steam beta or Windows Insider builds; maybe it's something limited to one of those?
I wish to know that too. I've tried everything and end up coming back to no shaders at all. I don't see what I can use to turn this:

Into this:
Looks like a basic bilinear filter to me. RetroArch has that on by default if you don't apply a shader. Though it's probably not quite that blurry.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hmm, been trying to play Dawn of Sorrow and it's perfect in most cases, although the higher pitched music samples (like the bells in the village) produce a slight byproduct, noise wise.

I have yet to play around with different DSP plugins other than noticing that the bass boost diminishes the problem enough that it ain't as big of an issue, might just play the game like that unless anyone has some better ideas.

I've tried other games in various emulators and audio is perfect apart from high pitched samples in DS titles

Radius4

I haven't run into this. I'm not in the Steam beta or Windows Insider builds; maybe it's something limited to one of those?

Looks like a basic bilinear filter to me. RetroArch has that on by default if you don't apply a shader. Though it's probably not quite that blurry.

For me in anniversary update with steam beta this is the problem. My pad is always pad #2 when steam is open...

Stupid valve.

I close steam and the issue goes away...

Grimalkin

55-30086-ffvi_upres.png

Into this:

30085-ffvi_ntsc.png

I've been playing around with shaders for a more "authentic" experience. I find that using some version of the hyllian shader is a good place to start. Then I add a crapload of bloom and curvature because my family had a bad tv growing up. I like my text to be barely readable. :)

I like CRTGlow_Gauss as well but it's got a lot of bloom, more than most would want. You may want to play around with that one if you want a really blurred images like your second screenshot. You would be aiming for the blur without a lot of halation.

crt-Hyllian-3d is good for n64/ps1 era games. The default is really strong so you would probably want to play around with it.

You are going to eventually end up making a few custom mixes to suit your tastes, but until then just slap on a hyllian or royale shader and tweak the settings until you get something that's "good enough".

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hm, seems the wonky audio is a widespread issue with the desmume core. The way the original emulator handles audio removes these terrible ear blemishes was apparently removed by (I think?) the guy who compiled the core. Times like these I wish I could do code and stuff D:

Or that options could at least be left in as something you could enable if you want, then again he did say it caused issues, without specifying so maybe it was that or not having the core at all? That said, I hope it can improve in the future, because otherwise it's a great way to play DS titles :D

Edit: The odd part is that Desmume as it is actually sounds perfectly fine if you disable all the sound filtering in the emulator, whereas the core doesn't, thought it was my own settings at first, but I've messed around to no avail. Every other emulator I've set up sounds perfectly fine D: Probably gonna have to go with the backup strat of trying to find a way to get desmume to run smoothly, because god is it unsynced frame city.. it's why RA is so fucking good lol, every game looks smooth as butter on a sunny day

Wonko_C

I've been playing around with shaders for a more "authentic" experience. I find that using some version of the hyllian shader is a good place to start. Then I add a crapload of bloom and curvature because my family had a bad tv growing up. I like my text to be barely readable. :)

I like CRTGlow_Gauss as well but it's got a lot of bloom, more than most would want. You may want to play around with that one if you want a really blurred images like your second screenshot. You would be aiming for the blur without a lot of halation.

crt-Hyllian-3d is good for n64/ps1 era games. The default is really strong so you would probably want to play around with it.

You are going to eventually end up making a few custom mixes to suit your tastes, but until then just slap on a hyllian or royale shader and tweak the settings until you get something that's "good enough".

Thanks, I'll use that as a starting point and see what I can get. And no I don't want my image to be blurred, LOL. I guess I picked a bad photo as an example. What I liked about that pic is how the bricks look like actual bricks in that image, not just pixels. Using the NTSC-Composite shaders looks like the old televisions, but they lack bloom and scanlines. Will see if I can add those separately.

daninthemix

After a bit of experimenting I find Lottes CRT shader the most authentic - as in, it presents SNES and Genesis games closer to what my memory of them is than any others. I tweaked it a little to ditch the screen warping and bump the brightness up just a touch.

Edit: is PSX, Saturn and N64 emulation 'mature' in RetroArch, or are those systems better played on ePSXe, Project64 etc. ?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I was thinking, couldn't the bottom example of the FFVI comparison be achieved with an NTSC filter? I know one I use that came prepackaged made the waterfalls in Sonic 3 go from looking like doodoo to looking really cool

I'll throw up a comparison in a sec

Edit:
Just bilinear, no shader

FvQYdfp.png

bilinear + NTSC s-video and gamma shaders

qJz6PzT.png

Ugly waterfall seams, gone, plus it looks like I remember, kinda, I played via scart so it probably looks better than what I played, since this is s-video :p. Though I'm not very knowledgable so who knows if this is in any way shape or form a good representation lol. But I think it looks cool

(pls ignore fraps, I forgot to turn it off, too lazy to crop the images ;P)

Awakened

Hm, seems the wonky audio is a widespread issue with the desmume core. The way the original emulator handles audio removes these terrible ear blemishes was apparently removed by (I think?) the guy who compiled the core. Times like these I wish I could do code and stuff D:

Or that options could at least be left in as something you could enable if you want, then again he did say it caused issues, without specifying so maybe it was that or not having the core at all? That said, I hope it can improve in the future, because otherwise it's a great way to play DS titles :D

Edit: The odd part is that Desmume as it is actually sounds perfectly fine if you disable all the sound filtering in the emulator, whereas the core doesn't, thought it was my own settings at first, but I've messed around to no avail. Every other emulator I've set up sounds perfectly fine D: Probably gonna have to go with the backup strat of trying to find a way to get desmume to run smoothly, because god is it unsynced frame city.. it's why RA is so fucking good lol, every game looks smooth as butter on a sunny day
Did you compare it to actual hardware? When the higher quality sound code was removed (supposedly it was just bad code), I noticed certain sound effects in Dawn of Sorrow sounded like they were being played at a low bitrate. But I compared that to my cart running on my 3DS and that's how it's supposed to sound. I do hope the higher quality sound option comes back though.

After a bit of experimenting I find Lottes CRT shader the most authentic - as in, it presents SNES and Genesis games closer to what my memory of them is than any others. I tweaked it a little to ditch the screen warping and bump the brightness up just a touch.

Edit: is PSX, Saturn and N64 emulation 'mature' in RetroArch, or are those systems better played on ePSXe, Project64 etc. ?
Try crt-easymode-halation sometime. That uses a Lotte's shadow mask by default, but isn't as blurry and is much brighter.

The non-hw PSX core is one of the most accurate PSX emulators around. Glupen is pretty close to PJ64, just with slightly worse CPU emulation since it's based on Mupen. Mednafen Saturn is also pretty close to SSF. Magic Knight Rayearth is the only game I've found with a game breaking freeze that SSF doesn't have.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Did you compare it to actual hardware? When the higher quality sound code was removed (supposedly it was just bad code), I noticed certain sound effects in Dawn of Sorrow sounded like they were being played at a low bitrate. But I compared that to my cart running on my 3DS and that's how it's supposed to sound. I do hope the higher quality sound option comes back though.

3DS is currently broken, but this is the kind of issue that would drive me mad enough to not forget had it been the case on actual hw. I've actually played DoS way more than I care to admit :lol it's just that good and now with my 3DS broken I figured RA would be a good way to experience it again

90% of the sound is perfectly fine, but music that has high pitched notes, like the bells in the Lost Village, cause a tiny bit of crackling, everything else is perfectly fine. I'm okay with un-enhanced sound, but the replacement causes worse issues than not being faithful to OG hardware.

Say, could I just get an older desmume core without the code replaced?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Lol, I found the real culprit. While the standalone emulator mitigates this issue completely, the fault lies with my headphones, certainly treble'y sounds sound a bit weird on the left speaker lol. Just listened on the right headphone only at there's no minor crinklyness to it.

At least that makes this easier to fix, I'll just find some way to shave off the higher frequencies :). I'm dumb for not realising this sooner lol. No wonder it's described as sounding like actual hardware! Granted, the same pair of headphones didn't have this issue on actual hardware, but at the very least it's easy to understand why some (those of us with cheaper headphones) hear something's wrong and other's (with quality speakers/headphones) don't. Mystery solved, it's shitty hardware :lol

Edit: Or not. I tried the mono plugin and it replicates the issue in the right headphone too, so it's not that particular one at least. Odd that it's only affecting the left channel in Stereo though. I wonder if it's somehow related to the DS's virtual surround setting or something weird and random. To make sure I'm not crazy I found some direct capture footage of DoS and the audio is crisper and no weird crackles. In RA it's way deep and bass'y while still having the high frequency crackles.. and a thought occured to me just as I typed that. Could it be as simple as RA just being set up for speaker use and expecting a wider range, sound wise, than my headphones can replicate? If so where should I check for those options?

Edit #2: 100% Fixed. 100% User error, completely unrelated at that. What was happening was that my audio jack was supplying more power to my headphones than it should have, so all audio was amplified, makes too much sense in hindsight. I wonder how many poor saps this affects daily, it feels like my ears have been thoroughly cleaned out too given that I can now hear more treble than before (I also don't have to keep the volume slider around 12%.. being able to fine tune it is nice)

Regardless, thanks for the tip, it did give me an actual way out if I hadn't found out a more definitive solution to the issue :)

Awakened

That's good to know. I wasn't doubting that there could be a crackling issue I hadn't noticed, since I was testing a specific sound effect and wasn't really paying attention to anything else.

Wonko_C

I was thinking, couldn't the bottom example of the FFVI comparison be achieved with an NTSC filter? I know one I use that came prepackaged made the waterfalls in Sonic 3 go from looking like doodoo to looking really cool

I'll throw up a comparison in a sec

Edit:
Just bilinear, no shader

FvQYdfp.png

bilinear + NTSC s-video and gamma shaders

qJz6PzT.png

Ugly waterfall seams, gone, plus it looks like I remember, kinda, I played via scart so it probably looks better than what I played, since this is s-video :p. Though I'm not very knowledgable so who knows if this is in any way shape or form a good representation lol. But I think it looks cool

(pls ignore fraps, I forgot to turn it off, too lazy to crop the images ;P)

Nice. I tried NTSC S-video with gauss scanlines (minus bilinear filtering) and I'm loving it. Genesis games that used TV tricks to fake transparencies actually look transparent now without the need to use Blargg's NTSC filter, and the scanlines are evenly distributed without having to resort to integer scaling. Now the quest for a good CRT filter for arcade games begins...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That's good to know. I wasn't doubting that there could be a crackling issue I hadn't noticed, since I was testing a specific sound effect and wasn't really paying attention to anything else.

Played a bit and it seems it actually has to be a syncing issue of some sort, because I found a way to mitigate and replicate the issue just by walking in and out of a room.

So in room 1, it sounds perfectly fine, I walk right into another (50% smaller!) room and it starts to crackle a bit, very odd though since my experience is that sound effects and such also tend to sound a bit warbly when that pops up. And it's not like Room 2 is running any effects that aren't present in the larger one, it's the reverse in fact. I guess it comes down to me running an FX6300 in the end :p. Hardly the beefiest CPU if you go by individual cores. That said, it's only really bad in the starting areas, the rest of the music so far sounds fine and it's still preferable to playing it in desmume, because microstuttering is the devil's work.'

Edit: Ugh, it was just because there was a very noisy enemy in that room lol, killing it made the crackling evident. Back to square one I s'pose. Still, making a post in the GIT thread to bring some attention to the issue and see where it goes from there

Did the save state option to save in their own folders get moved in the new stable release? I have all my saves in folders to separate and manage easier, but the new stable version does not allow me to save them in core specific folders and just dumps them into the root of the save state folder I designate.

Awakened

Did the save state option to save in their own folders get moved in the new stable release? I have all my saves in folders to separate and manage easier, but the new stable version does not allow me to save them in core specific folders and just dumps them into the root of the save state folder I designate.
Did you reset your config? It should still be enabled if you brought your config over. The sort saves/states in folder options are there, but in the UI they are hidden under advanced settings now for some reason. To see them under Saving settings again, go to Settings, User Interface and enable Show Advanced Settings.

Ah ok, I didn't copy over my config, I started fresh with the new stable build. Thanks, I have no clue why that would be changed, but thank you so much, that advanced option changed it so that the sorting options showed up and I was able to launch all my saves from the different games and cores.

Quick questions folks. Got Retroarch and a number of cores running well, but I'm wondering where I need to put BIOS for Playstation cores? When I load a game it just stays on a black screen which I'm assuming is due to my BIOS being in a wrong folder.

Awakened

Quick questions folks. Got Retroarch and a number of cores running well, but I'm wondering where I need to put BIOS for Playstation cores? When I load a game it just stays on a black screen which I'm assuming is due to my BIOS being in a wrong folder.
Put them in the same folder as your ISOs. Or in your System folder if you set one in Directory settings.

kaioshade

Would anyone be able to offer assistance with PSX HW core? I am running a 1070, so i know Vulkan support is good for my system, but any time i attempt to load anything using PSX HW, Retroatch immediately crashes. Tried debug, and regular exe files. no idea why it is doing this. I checked my cue files and those are correct.

Thanks

*edit* figured it out. Doesn't like RTSS.

MadSexual

If anybody is interested, I designed 1920x1080 overlays to play RetroArch on a 1080p HDTV:
These are phenomenal and really helping me get in the right mood while playing through some of these classics, but I've got two questions for you:

1) For the GBC overlay (I love how minimal and direct it is!) I'm having trouble getting the game to fit nicely inside the viewport. It's really close, but edges are trimmed like they are on TVs with overscan. Unfortunately there is some important information in those areas. I have integer scale and core provided enabled like you say, but I'm new to Retroarch and might be overlooking something. For what it's worth I'm on a 1440 screen, but since the aspect ratio is still 16x9, I doubt that is the issue.

2) What filter are you using for the GBC shot?! It looks amazing. Closest I have available is the standard Phosphor2 filter.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So this might not be quite the right place to ask this, but I'll try anyway. It's more LaunchBox-specific than it is RetroArch.

ROM hacks / patches. Right now when I try to import them into LaunchBox, if I also have the original, or if I have more than 1 patched copy, it only ends up importing 1 copy of the game in total because the metadata it finds for the game each time is the same (I assume). How can I avoid this?

Simbabbad

These are phenomenal and really helping me get in the right mood while playing through some of these classics, but I've got two questions for you:

1) For the GBC overlay (I love how minimal and direct it is!) I'm having trouble getting the game to fit nicely inside the viewport. It's really close, but edges are trimmed like they are on TVs with overscan. Unfortunately there is some important information in those areas. I have integer scale and core provided enabled like you say, but I'm new to Retroarch and might be overlooking something. For what it's worth I'm on a 1440 screen, but since the aspect ratio is still 16x9, I doubt that is the issue.

2) What filter are you using for the GBC shot?! It looks amazing. Closest I have available is the standard Phosphor2 filter.
Thanks a lot to you and lostsupper for the nice feedback, I see from my blog statistics that a lot of people gave the overlays a look in more than a month, but there haven't been much replies here (only you two). Oh, well.

2) The shader is from the RetroArch library that was installed by default when I downloaded it, it's \shaders\retro-v2-darker.cgp, it's really the one I like best for GBC games. I use the same one for the GBA.

1) The overlays are designed for 1080p widescreen, that is a 1920x1080 resolution, and integer scale means it will resize the game area to a full integer multiplier, as big as it can given the resolution.
So, for example, the GBC has a 160x144 resolution and in 1080p it can fit 7 times in integer scale (7x144=1008 pixels high), and there is therefore a 1080-1008=72 pixel border vertically, but on 1440p it can fit 10 times exactly and doesn't need a border. So, since on your monitor the image is fullscreen and the overlay has been designed for 1080p and a border, a lot of the image is hidden.
A simple solution would be to use an image editor to crop and resize the overlay, or manually change the scale to x9 in the RetroArch settings so it doesn't have an overscan.
You'll have the same problem with all the RetroArch overlays, BTW, since I made them for integer scale and 1080p, and the high therefore won't be proportional on your monitor.

The MAME artworks, on the other hand, should be fine because MAME manages artworks totally differently than RetroArch manages overlay, but you won't have an integer scale, and scanlines, for example, will be messy.

Knurek

What's the preferred way of setting Retroarch up on a high framerate monitor?
When I tried using it on my 144Hz monitor, it played the game at 2.2 speed (144 fps instead of 60), no matter if I enabled Vsync, GPU sync or threaded video.
Only way to limit the framerate was with fastforward_ratio set to 1.000, but that obviously gets rid off Fast Forward.

What's the preferred way of setting Retroarch up on a high framerate monitor?
When I tried using it on my 144Hz monitor, it played the game at 2.2 speed (144 fps instead of 60), no matter if I enabled Vsync, GPU sync or threaded video.
Only way to limit the framerate was with fastforward_ratio set to 1.000, but that obviously gets rid off Fast Forward.
Can't you set the rendering frame rate in video settings? It might default to as high as possible, but you should be able to bring it can down manually.

daninthemix

How do you use this effectively with Steam Link??

Yeah, a 360 controller works absolutely fine, but both the Steam Controller and the SNES30 8Bitdo turn into a complete mess whenever I try to configure them in Retroarch.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
My lord, that new Start Folder option in 1.4.2 is magnificient. I am absolutely in love with that setting :D. Super easy to just pop in a rom file and scan it now. If only I could tell my past annoying whiny self about this feature.

Still working on solving the audio crackles, they're actually kind of everywhere :lol, I just didn't listen for them, this is now my biggest pet peeve and something's clearly wrong on my end. Standalone SNES9X actually has even more crackly audio than inside of RetroArch, so apparently whatever it does mitigates the issue quite a bit, ignoring the sole DS example in Dawn of Sorrow (other games aren't nearly as noticable, if it's even there)

I still need a fallguy tho, so I'll direct my anger and pain at RealTek. I wonder what could be done to remedy the issue, I got the latest drivers available, as they were needed to get the ambient sound in Dark Souls 3 to work.. Maybe I should check again. Not a sync issue either given that it seems to lock in to 59.99999~ in 7/10 cases and Threaded Video and messing with the audio/video settings in general doesn't seem to affect much more than the audio pitch itself :p. But yeah, I'm gonna solve this one by days end. Gonna focus on the audio board itself and see what can be done, hopefully I'll find a solution to share, because I notice there are some people with similar issues but no real solutions in sight and merely focusing on RA or whichever emulator hasn't yielded any results so far so gotta attack that problem from an entirely different angle I feel.

Edit: Hm, tried an external program to find an estimate of monitor refresh rate, it semi-mitigated the issue as the crackles now come and go periodically, level one of Super GNG is *super* great for testing this though. Set it to 59.996 and yeah, bout 50% less crack/popples in that game at least. I never woulda thought such a tiny li'l setting could affect things this much. I'll have to run that test a couple more times and try some different values.

Edit #2: Whoah, it kind of made the issue less severe in Dawn of Sorrow too. So my actual problem all along was the RA not pinning down a close enough estimate for the monitor refresh rate, so basically I should yell at either AMD and their drivers or Samsung :lol. Would it be possible to "overclock" my monitor's refresh rate to an actual even 60hz? I know it can go up to 65hz at 1080p so maybe that's an avenue I should explore to make this syncing business easier. If such a thing is even possible?

Hi guys, I would like to build a PC to put inside an arcade cabinet running Retroarch. I am mostly interested in FB Alpha Roms/Megadrive/PC Engine/SNES running some nifty shaders. I was thinking of getting an i5 with a GTX 1050. Would that be overkill (I don't want to overspend for the project)?

Feel free to suggest a suitable (cheaper is better as long as it works just as fine for the job) setups :)

Thanks!

Hi guys, I would like to build a PC to put inside an arcade cabinet running Retroarch. I am mostly interested in FB Alpha Roms/Megadrive/PC Engine/SNES running some nifty shaders. I was thinking of getting an i5 with a GTX 1050. Would that be overkill (I don't want to overspend for the project)?

Feel free to suggest a suitable (cheaper is better as long as it works just as fine for the job) setups :)

Thanks!

An i5 is overkill for those systems, generally you should go for the best single thread performance as most emulators only run on a single core. I have an i3-6320 and it runs absolutely everything I have thrown at it so far with ease (including Dolphin and PCSX2) and the newly released i3-7350k has absolutely beastly single thread performance. The gtx 1050 will be fine for any shader you need. And btw swap out fba for mame, its far superior, fba only advantage is that its less intensive on the cpu but is far less accurate as a result and shouldn't be a consideration considering todays cpu performance.

For reference:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Top Bottom