• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

This weeks DLC, buying the shit out of Sister Hazel!
0rn9mohpfyx4.png
DLC Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9i4CQUSJdw

The Sister Hazel song was one that managed to grow on me within the first listen, rather than it taking a few. I'll wait for the answer on masters though. Not that desperate.

pacman85

Getting Sister Hazel, but couldn't care less about Jason Aldean. I, too, am looking forward to the "music library enhancements". On Harmonix's blog PAX recap post, they say in their stream today they will be showing off some of those enhancements:
We’re showing off new Rock Band DLC on our Twitch stream this Monday, September 12th starting at 5pm ET. We’ll also be doing a live demo of Rivals Mode and showing off some of the new Music Library Enhancements, so you definitely don’t want to miss this stream!

Gleethor

Add in all of the filters and sorting options from RB3 while keeping RB4's all-encompassing search function, and I'll be content.

zulux21

thinking about stuff...
it's really weird that we haven't had a single sale on rock band 4 songs since the launch.

we are closing in on a year without a sale.

oh well it's saving me money as there are a number of songs I would buy on sale that I haven't bought yet.

pacman85

I got busy at work and missed the Twitch stream. Any way to watch after it's over? If not, did anyone catch any music library enhancements they showed off? Also, how did the charts look on the new Rivals songs? Any way to tell if the songs used masters/stems or not?

Gleethor

I got busy at work and missed the Twitch stream. Any way to watch after it's over? If not, did anyone catch any music library enhancements they showed off? Also, how did the charts look on the new Rivals songs? Any way to tell if the songs used masters/stems or not?

I watched almost the entire thing, didn't see any music library enhancements shown off but maybe I missed it. It didn't look like they were using the Rivals UI either, so maybe this is an older build. Folks on the official forums are claiming that all 12 preorder songs as well as both songs releasing this week have actual stems, and from what I watched it definitely sounds that way. So that's good.

pacman85

Are pre-order songs only availble if you're buying the physical guitar edition?
Only songs exclusive to physical edition games are the 2 Amazon exclusive songs as they don't have the Rivals Digital Expansion available for sale on their site so there is no way to get those until they are released to the store as DLC.

Didn't get to play earlier on. Had a bunch to drink today so I'm back now with my first playthrough scores, track seperation confirmation and impressions of "All For You"!

"All For You" - Sister Hazel
Expert Guitar: 154,355 | 100% Full Combo (711/711) | Gold Stars | Tier 3 (Moderate)
Expert Bass: 97,109 | 100% Full Combo (420/420) | Gold Stars | Tier 3 (Moderate)

Are the tracks seperated?
Yup! No track bleeding when missing notes, no lowering of any other tracks, only your track is muted when missing notes. It's about as clean as you can get!

Impressions
Top-notch on both Guitar and Bass. The guitar chart in particular strikes a nice balance between challenge and fun, although I think the tiering on this is slightly off, guitar deserves to be a tier 4 due to a fairly tricky solo! Bass is much simpler but there's a fair bit of movement up and down the fretboard for such an easy bassline. Have no reservations in recommending this to both guitar and bass players. One of the better songs of the year so far.

SFenton

I'm seriously loving the 90s kick of DLC recently. (Yes, even you, stemless Hemorrhage.)

Bring on One Headlight and I'll be in heaven.

Any recommendations for aftermarket PS4 compatible drum kick pedal?

On a related note; would the Best Buy warranty of the RB4 bundle cover replacement for the drum kick pedal being broken in half?

SFenton

Any recommendations for aftermarket PS4 compatible drum kick pedal?

On a related note; would the Best Buy warranty of the RB4 bundle cover replacement for the drum kick pedal being broken in half?

Kick pedals are universal, even from the old kits, so any RB1-4 kit from Wii/PS2/3/4/360/X1 will work.

Best Buy won't honor that I believe. Easiest fix would be to contact MadCatz; other than that, check Amazon, eBay.

Kick pedals are universal, even from the old kits, so any RB1-4 kit from Wii/PS2/3/4/360/X1 will work.

Best Buy won't honor that I believe. Easiest fix would be to contact MadCatz; other than that, check Amazon, eBay.

Word.
Any success stories with a MadCatz replacement? Figured it's doubtful.
Amazon is my first choice so that's where I'll go.

Eanan

Does anyone else have the issue where you have to recalibrate the drums in the menu virtually every time I stop playing for a day or so and come back, its super annoying.

I'm using the same TV each time, same sound setup, same distance for the drums and same xbox. I don't know why this happens, but the calibration is always slightly off when I start the game after a day away.

I've updated the drum firmware also.

vg260

More metal is good, even if I'm not really a fan of the tracks.

What's the deal with The Ultimate Sin album? Was there some reason we never got tracks from it? I recall hearing something about the Ozzy not liking the album or something.

Still hoping we get Dio's Last in Line sometime.

"Road To Nowhere" is a definite purchase for me. The more material we get from the criminally underrated "No More Tears" album, the better. "Dystopia" is a wait-and-see, Megadeth charts are usually a mixed bag, and "The Devil In I" is a pass.

Great to see more metal in the game!

Oh, hey, a pack. That's a novelty. Sold.

I'd not listened to modern Megadeth since, what, Thirteen? Maybe even the one before. Wasn't really wowed beyond Sudden Death, and even then I preferred the original mix from the GHWoR release. Same with Black Swan, the original United Abominations recording was much better. So I wasn't expecting much from this track. But it's good. It's really quite good. May have to listen to the whole album.

Slipknot is Slipknot. And what's the status of the second Ozzy pack? Has the licensing been fixed to work on RB4 yet for any console?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
European PS4 users got an update that possibly maybe will allow them to eventually pre-order Rivals soon™ish.

At least SCEE still knows Rock Band exists I guess.

Must be a bit of a rush, given that the update history has it at 1.01 when the update itself is listed as 1.09.

Still, if it helps with all that, I'll take it.

Oh, that is just wonderful. Sometimes all it takes is a UI refresh to make it feel like a whole new game. The letter shortcuts are great too, although having a way to combine both would be great.

Song source is an interesting choice of filter though. So far everything's been classed on-disc or extra content, with the big 4 next to certain songs being the main indicator. A return to older sorting, or perhaps futureproofing?

vg260

The UI looks much more RB1/RB2-ish to me, which is a good thing.

The wood grain style of the current UI was never very aesthetically pleasing.

Oh, that is just wonderful. Sometimes all it takes is a UI refresh to make it feel like a whole new game. The letter shortcuts are great too, although having a way to combine both would be great.

Song source is an interesting choice of filter though. So far everything's been classed on-disc or extra content, with the big 4 next to certain songs being the main indicator. A return to older sorting, or perhaps futureproofing?

They might be adding in the ability to sort by all of the games.

They might be adding in the ability to sort by all of the games.

Likely, but after they ignored sorting by song source in the main game I just got the impression that they were trying to unify everything as RB4 or extras. I'm curious how it'll affect DLC tracks though. The Queen, Bon Jovi and RB1 Bonus tracks have all been released as DLC. Will they show up as DLC, or as an export? Will other exported tracks be released as DLC?

Eh, I'm probably just looking too much into it. Nice to see songs being filtered by gender though. If only they'd patch in the possibility of band members swapping places when a different gender sings like in RB3. I get why they did it this way, but options are nice to have.

Bought both "Dystopia" and "Road To Nowhere" so here's my first playthrough scores, stem confirmations, and impressions of 2 out of 3 of this week's songs!

"Dystopia" - Megadeth
Expert Guitar: 272,872 | 99% Notes Hit | Gold Stars | Tier 6 (Impossible)
Expert Bass: 267,976 | 100% Notes Hit (Full Combo) | Gold Stars | Tier 4 (Challenging)

Bad news, first Megadeth song in the history of the series to use DIY stems. Missing notes on guitar causes the vocal track to muffle along with the guitar track. Not even long term contributors to Rock Band are safe from the curse of the shitty DIY stems! A crying shame really, considering how great Megadeth's previous DLC tracks were...

"Road To Nowhere" - Ozzy Osbourne
Expert Guitar: 208,465 | 99% Notes Hit | Gold Stars | Tier 5 (Nightmare)
Expert Bass: 191,151 | 100% Notes Hit (Full Combo) | Gold Stars | Tier 3 (Moderate)

Ozzy delivers again! Unlike this week's Megadeth song, "Road To Nowhere" is about as pure as you can get! No track distortion, or muffling and no other tracks are affected when missing notes on your own instrument. No complaints here whatsoever. Go ahead and pick it up, not just for the quality of the stems, but the quality of the charts as well!

Impressions

"Dystopia" - Seventeen has got some stiff competition when it comes to hardest guitar song of the year! Dystopia seems pretty misleading at first, it's riffs are for the most part simple barely ever switch up, but old Davey pulls a shit load of solos out from his bag of tricks, one after the next, all blisteringly fast and crazy difficult. It's great fun though, The bass is typical megadeth fare, steady strumming with plenty of movement up and down the fretboard bookending each section. There's even a rad as fuck jaunty riff near the end that has you bouncing between hammer-ons and 6 note snakes! Easily recommend this to fans of the band, and more experienced players. Balls-to-the-wall hard!

"Road To Nowhere" - Welcome to one of the best songs in the entire game for both guitarists and bassists! A criminally overlooked song from the underappreciated "No More Tears" album, the guitar chart for this beauty has a little bit of everything. Constant, but managable movement up and down the fretboard, an absurb amount of variety in the solos ranging from laid back hammer-ons to crazy, blisteringly fast snaking up and down each end of the fretboard, it's a constant joy to play throughout and strikes the perfect balance between difficult and fun! The bass is just as fantastic, if not infinitely easier! It's much more laid back but the constant steady movement up and down the frets is satisfying as fuck through, adding little tweaks here and there to the riff to keep things interesting, easily one of the best basslines in the game, and easily up there when it comes tier 3 bass tracks! Get this song right now. A contender for song of the year.

Top Bottom