• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Platinum Games In Charge For MGS Rising Development [Platinum: Nope]

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I hope this is an inaccurate rumor, I would rather have Platinum continue to work on their own stuff without being held back and creatively restricted by working on licensed properties.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Graphics Horse said:
Not to mention it might not be called MGS5. I still believe!

Not to mention TTP's report doesn't say it would be announced at E3 :p

I've every reason to trust TTP.

Duffyside

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
I hope this is an inaccurate rumor, I would rather have Platinum continue to work on their own stuff without being held back and creatively restricted by working on licensed properties.
I dunno, while I agree with your principle, not only do I like Metal Gear but I also really like the idea of Platinum getting a huge cash injection from making a game that will actually sell a ton of copies.

Imagine how much freedom they'll have if they make a huge hit that brings in a bunch of capital.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The rumour says Kojima Productions are working on MGS5 for this gen, not that it would be announced at E3.

If the Rising/Kamiya thing is true, then the MGS5 likely will be as well, even if the latter isn't mentioned at E3.

There's been no conflicting evidence so far.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
duffyside said:
I dunno, while I agree with your principle, not only do I like Metal Gear but I also really like the idea of Platinum getting a huge cash injection from making a game that will actually sell a ton of copies.

Imagine how much freedom they'll have if they make a huge hit that brings in a bunch of capital.
This. They made excellent games with tight budgets who ended up not selling that much. This could be be a huuuuuge profile upgrade for them and they deserve it.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
duffyside said:

The flipside is that they simply because saddled picking up other company's shitty properties and becoming completely sterilized.

I mean, isn't something like this exactly WHY these legendary guys split off from Capcom, etc. originally?

Mistouze said:
This. They made excellent games with tight budgets who ended up not selling that much. This could be be a huuuuuge profile upgrade for them and they deserve it.

There's also the side effect of having Kamiya not have to think up new characters and a new story, which will probably make the game overall more enjoyable.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Princess Skittles said:
The flipside is that they simply because saddled picking up other company's shitty properties and becoming completely sterilized.

I mean, isn't something like this exactly WHY these legendary guys split off from Capcom, etc. originally?
If it turns out true they would have a new IP in the works (Anarchy Reigns) and an episode of an existing franchise with a new gameplay (Metal Gear Rising).

I could see them rethinking their philosopy a bit in the light of their 4 previous games' sales under the Sega contract.

Princess Skittles said:

Is this real life?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Maxrunner said:
No cafe versions???

If it exists we wouldn't be told of it.

There's probably a bunch of announced games that are coming to the Cafe, but Nintendo has the lock down on everyone.

FrankT

EatChildren said:
The rumour says Kojima Productions are working on MGS5 for this gen, not that it would be announced at E3.

If the Rising/Kamiya thing is true, then the MGS5 likely will be as well, even if the latter isn't mentioned at E3.

Basically my thought as well. If the one turns out right then the whole thing is likely correct and no an E3 reveal doesn't necessarily have to be in the cards. Though with the whole Kojima making special announcements outside a platform holder conference then it may possible that some of this is revealed.

Gravijah

EatChildren said:
If it exists we wouldn't be told of it.

There's probably a bunch of announced games that are coming to the Cafe, but Nintendo has the lock down on everyone.

i smell ubisoft

jackdoe

Jtyettis said:
Basically my thought as well. If the one turns out right then the whole thing is likely correct and no an E3 reveal doesn't necessarily have to be in the cards. Though with the whole Kojima making special announcements outside a platform holder conference then it may possible that some of this is revealed.
C'mon. It doesn't take rocket science to predict that Konami will release an MGS5 on multiple platforms. Hell, I could accurately report that without any credible sources and eventually be correct. It's the release and announcement windows that are important in rumors about established franchises where you know a sequel is coming.

FrankT

jackdoe said:
C'mon. It doesn't take rocket science to predict that Konami will release an MGS5 on multiple platforms. Hell, I could accurately report that without any credible sources and eventually be correct. It's the release and announcement windows that are important in rumors about established franchises where you know a sequel is coming.

And since there is no indiciation of that none of us have clue when that is going to happen.

Though not just talking about that. MGS series on steam as well.

jackdoe said:
But you'd expect the guy with the "100% credible source" to have some kind of time frame.

Perhaps, though he doesn't give a time frame for when the handover is going to be announced either. Doesn't necessarily mean it's not happening either.

EatChildren said:

MGS5 like a Peace Walker upgrade, or a new game?

jackdoe

Jtyettis said:
And since there is no indiciation of that none of us have clue when that is going to happen.
But you'd expect the guy with the "100% credible source" to have some kind of time frame.

EatChildren

_dementia said:
MGS5 like a Peace Walker upgrade, or a new game?

Both probably. I suspect this "Peace Walker upgrade" is just a port of the original, running at 1080p resolution, some cleaned up assets and all that jazz. Not a completely overhaul, remake or anything like that. One of those "PSP Remastered" thingos.

I fully expect Kojima Productions to be working on another Meta Gear Solid title as well. If Mineshi Kimura was having difficulties with the change in mechanics for Rising, its possible that he will be directing MGS5 instead, while Kamiya handles Rising.

If the rumour is true I expect that E3/Konami's event will see the reveal of Rising at the hands of Platinum/Kamiya, Peace Walker to PS3, and MGS3DS.

MGS5 will come at a later date, and the MGS/MGS2/MGS3/MGS4 thingo might be something aimed for celebrating Metal Gears 25th anniversary.

Duffyside

Banned
Princess Skittles said:

In the Capcom case, the Clover guys worked for (were owned by) Capcom. They didn't make deals; they did what they were told.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jackdoe said:

Not at all. There are people who know stuff about stuff but who have zero idea of when it'll be made public. TTP's person may be one of those people :p

jackdoe

gofreak said:
Not at all. There are people who know stuff about stuff but who have zero idea of when it'll be made public. TTP's person may be one of those people :p
Haha. Of course. To be completely fair, the MGS3 and MGS4 PC ports are the areas of the rumor that are completely ludicrous to me; the Kamiya stuff is kind of crazy, but still semi plausible as big name Japanese directors are working together all the time now. However, I do not see Konami, no matter how crazy they are, porting a game from 2004 (or 2006 depending) to the PC of all places nor do I see them porting MGS4 to the PC over the 360 (and they missed their window of opportunity for a 360 release).

Dali

Princess Skittles said:

I would think autanomy and higer levels of creative freedom would be the reasons clover branched into seed. If a company is seeking them out then that puts platinum in a position to relinquish neither of the aforementioned or only an amount they are comfortable with.

kodt

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
Kind of believable until the MGS 3+4 PC ports. No way. Too good to be true.

Yeah, besides these games are not really playable without pressure sensitive controls. AFAIK there aren't any controllers on PC that use pressure sensitive face buttons or drivers that support them.

I tried playing MGS2 on PC and there was no way to get a good controller layout working so I gave up. (Not to mention several bugs and sound issues I ran into).

MGS1 ran fine on PC, but again, there was seemingly no way to get the control layout the same as PS1.

If they brought these to PC it would need native controller support with some solution for pressure sensitive buttons.

jackdoe

kodt said:
Yeah, besides these games are not really playable without pressure sensitive controls. AFAIK there aren't any controllers on PC that use pressure sensitive face buttons or drivers that support them.

I tried playing MGS2 on PC and there was no way to get a good controller layout working so I gave up. (Not to mention several bugs and sound issues I ran into).

MGS1 ran fine on PC, but again, there was seemingly no way to get the control layout the same as PS1.

If they brought these to PC it would need native controller support with some solution for pressure sensitive buttons.
MGS2 wasn't as reliant on pressure sensitivity as MGS3 as well. MGS3 utilized it up the wazoo (leading to a very large learning curve) for CQC.

kodt

Banned
jackdoe said:
MGS2 wasn't as reliant on pressure sensitivity as MGS3 as well. MGS3 utilized it up the wazoo (leading to a very large learning curve) for CQC.

Yeah, I guess MGS2 just used it for leaning in first person mode, but that was a pretty important feature. MGS3 used it on almost every button :) CQC was confusing at first, but once you get it down it is very rewarding. I would rather there be no PC release than a release with sacrificed controls and gameplay.

Roto13

jackdoe said:
Oh, THAT'S why I didn't get CQC right away and ended up never using it. xP

jackdoe

Roto13 said:
THAT'S why I didn't get CQC right away and ended up never using it. xP
It was a pain in the ass (not only because of pressure sensitivity, but also due to the button juggling you have to perform) and I only used it because it looked cool.

kodt said:
Yeah, I guess MGS2 just used it for leaning in first person mode, but that was a pretty important feature. MGS3 used it on almost every button :) CQC was confusing at first, but once you get it down it is very rewarding. I would rather there be no PC release than a release with sacrificed controls and gameplay.
Both games used it for aiming. Twin Snakes showed how cumbersome aiming would be without pressure sensitive buttons. Also, the reason MGS2 for Xbox isn't on the 360 as an original is due to this (original Xbox had pressure sensitivity as well, but the 360 ditched it; Sony had no choice but to put it in due to BC in the early models).

beastmode

kodt said:
I thought they took all that poop out in MGS4?

Ridley327

beastmode said:
I thought they took all that poop out in MGS4?
Yeah, they finally came to their senses in MGS4 and dropped all of the analog sensitivity because it was a horrible, horrible idea in the first place.

FrankT

Hideo Kojima Answers Big Questions

No MGS4 port for NGP. No MGS5 announcement at E3. MGS 3D this year. And more...

Posted on 05.27.2011 at 19:44, by Anoop Gantayat

Looks like the NGP demo of MGS4 Konami showed in January was just for demonstration purposes...
The latest episode of the Kojima Productions podcast had a new segment in which Hideo Kojima gave simple yes or no answers to some big questions.

You can hear the responses for yourself in the podcast (MP3). The segment starts at the 33:30 mark.

Just in case the high pitched voice of the questioner breaks your headphones, here's what was said during the segment. Kojima replied yes or no to the questions asked by the questioner.

Will you appear at the Microsoft E3 press conference? <-- NO

Will you announce Metal Gear Solid 5? <-- NO

Will MGS 3D be released at the end of 2011? <-- YES

Is Doctor Lautrec the new title from the Metal Gear staff? <-- NO (with a laugh)

Did Kojima Productions Not Work on Metal Gear Arcade? <-- YES

Is Gray Fox the main character in MGS Rising? <-- NO

Will MGS Rising's multiplayer be shown? <-- NO

Is MGS Rising's release date November 1, 2011? <-- NO

Will MGS4 be ported to NGP? <-- NO

Are you planning something big for Metal Gear's 25th anniversary next year? <-- YES

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/27/kojima_questions/

We can strike off MGS5 for E3 anyway.

kodt said:

MGS2 also introduced the choice of firing or lowering your weapon depending on how quickly you released the button. PC just needs a seperate button for CQC as I'm sure it must have done for the aiming in MGS2.
Edit: Seems to use a 'Weak' modifier key?

Dyno

Is this what Kojima was tweeting about? Was Rising taken off his hands, against his will?

That's a pretty epic blow-out if true.

That said Hideki Kamiya is certainly qualified. Sam Gideon from Vanquish is very much cast in the Snake mould with a lot of narrative fat removed. If Rising moves and fights as sweetly as Vanquished then we will get some great Lightning Bolt Action indeed!

jackdoe

Graphics Horse said:
MGS2 also introduced the choice of firing or lowering your weapon depending on how quickly you released the button. PC just needs a seperate button for CQC as I'm sure it must have done for the aiming in MGS2.
It's not that simple. How hard you pressed a button meant the difference between choking, holding, or killing someone. That would become a nightmare to try to reassign these functions to separate buttons (makes the already cumbersome button juggling in MGS3 even more cumbersome).

beastmode

Ridley327 said:
Yeah, they finally came to their senses in MGS4 and dropped all of the analog sensitivity because it was a horrible, horrible idea in the first place.
Yeah, so I don't see why they can take it out in MGS4 and not take it out in a port.

beastmode

jackdoe said:
It's not that simple. How hard you pressed a button meant the difference between choking, holding, or killing someone. That would become a nightmare to try to reassign these functions to separate buttons (makes the already cumbersome button juggling in MGS3 even more cumbersome).
*CQC hold* -> *Radial menu* -> *Click on action*

Top Bottom