• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Soulhouf

Would you keep Null Mind over War Cry? What about Counter? I need room for Phys Pleroma. I swear I spend more time obsessing over which skills to keep than I do actually playing the game!

Null Mind can mutate to Luster Candy/Debilitate. So yeah, it's better than War Cry.

Its still weird when you discover something horrifying in the game, and then Burroughs pops up and says, cheerily, "Congratulations on completing the quest!"

After 74 hours I beat this amazing game

but what the fuck does PR mean in battle

Alignment? Speaking of which, I feel like I'm hovering around Neutral (semi-intentionally), so maybe I have a shot. To test my status, I tried doing the Path of Ethics two ways, each time getting a different alignment from the Cynical Man. I'm currently Chaos, but I'm not sure how to keep it centered going forward. I'm at the Face of True Evil quest, and
trying to find the reactor under Roppongi.
. Any advice?

wanders

Alignment? Speaking of which, I feel like I'm hovering around Neutral (semi-intentionally), so maybe I have a shot. To test my status, I tried doing the Path of Ethics two ways, each time getting a different alignment from the Cynical Man. I'm currently Chaos, but I'm not sure how to keep it centered going forward. I'm at the Face of True Evil quest, and
trying to find the reactor under Roppongi.
. Any advice?

But PR always says none

Woohoo

20140205_102934coslb.jpg

Days later

That's with the neutral ending. I didn't have too much trouble hitting it since I made effort to remain neutral for most of the game. Only help that I had was that it's possible to get a shitton of
law alignment
right at the very end so I went evil for a while and swung back.

Game was definitely worth the import, I had a blast. My only issue is that it got braindead easy once I got MP regen 2 app for myself and party, by that point I could go all out on every random encounter. Actually, if I traced it back, the game became far easier once I got access to Charge and Blight on MC. Pretty much every encounter was Charge -> skip everyone -> Blight. After the pain in the ass it was to defeat David you bet your ass I wore that move out. The last boss fight was super anticlimactic, my squad wasn't even that good. Ending totally came from left field with how hard I was beasting. I was like oh shit, I bet I have to fight
giant Masakado
then the game just ended
Thanks lol

I started over without carrying my level, I'm playing with a magic focused build, I dumped everything into dex last time. Gonna go for that Chaos route so I can bless the world with dat sweet Infernal music.

AND YES MY OST SHIPPED TOO

NeonZ

The last boss fight was super anticlimactic, my squad wasn't even that good.

There are bosses harder than the two final bosses. Well, mainly the fiends and DLC bosses, but even some standard challenge quest ones, like Beelzebub, and the law/chaos route specific ones (
Demiurge for the Chaos route, Azazel->Mastema for Law route
) can be trickier.

Soulhouf

Well, amiami finally sent me an email to tell me that my soundtrack is ready for payment.
I'm not very pleased with how slowly they handled my last orders, so I may come back to CDJapan u_u

Gazoinks

Whats the verdict on the Shin Megami Tensai 4 dlc, is that any good? I heard it was, and isn't it on sale atm?

I haven't played all of it yet, but the story DLC is worth it if you want to flesh the story out a bit and fight superbosses. If you're into a lot of demon fusing you might also want the money and XP ones.

Woohoo

Days later

That's with the neutral ending. I didn't have too much trouble hitting it since I made effort to remain neutral for most of the game. Only help that I had was that it's possible to get a shitton of
law alignment
right at the very end so I went evil for a while and swung back.

Game was definitely worth the import, I had a blast. My only issue is that it got braindead easy once I got MP regen 2 app for myself and party, by that point I could go all out on every random encounter. Actually, if I traced it back, the game became far easier once I got access to Charge and Blight on MC. Pretty much every encounter was Charge -> skip everyone -> Blight. After the pain in the ass it was to defeat David you bet your ass I wore that move out. The last boss fight was super anticlimactic, my squad wasn't even that good. Ending totally came from left field with how hard I was beasting. I was like oh shit, I bet I have to fight
giant Masakado
then the game just ended
Thanks lol

I started over without carrying my level, I'm playing with a magic focused build, I dumped everything into dex last time. Gonna go for that Chaos route so I can bless the world with dat sweet Infernal music.

AND YES MY OST SHIPPED TOO

Blight is fucking heavenly. Your completion time is baffling to me, by the way--I'm pushing 70 hours and I haven't even hit the Alignment lock.

edit: I'm incredibly jealous of everyone getting the OST. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I wasn't moving so soon.

Blight is fucking heavenly. Your completion time is baffling to me, by the way--I'm pushing 70 hours and I haven't even hit the Alignment lock.

edit: I'm incredibly jealous of everyone getting the OST. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I wasn't moving so soon.

Wow! If you continue at that rate on neutral route you'll probably hit 100

My ingame clock read 52h for what it's worth. Stupid Minotaur

I'm doing every sidequest I can, I'm level 43, and I've got 28 hours on the clock. I just got to the split where you pick sides. Not sure how people are at 70 hours first playthrough.

Protag

Banned
I'm doing every sidequest I can, I'm level 43, and I've got 28 hours on the clock. I just got to the split where you pick sides. Not sure how people are at 70 hours first playthrough.

Was at about 45-50 hours at that mark, idk how you have that little time.

I mean, I also spend a ton of time looking at demon fusion and weighing my options. I reckon that contributes to the clock (included here is probably time leaving my 3DS open).

And I want that soundtrack so fucking bad, but:

a) I currently don't own anything that plays CDs (aside from my PS3, but this isn't where I play music)
b) I'm moving soon and thus cannot afford such "frivolous" purchases.

I'd kill for a digital release.

Edit: Occult Flash or Blight (+8) for my MC?!

komorebi

Just finished ripping the soundtrack. Time to give it a full listen-through~

This was my morning and most of the afternoon today. 4&1/2 hours of brilliance.

I'm still amazed the OST made it from Tokyo to Florida in 2 days. I also received the SMT4 Artbook today from a completely different seller (the arrival was divinely arranged it seems). Its been a SMT4 day for me matching the soundtrack to the incredible artwork. Flipping through the book I was reminded of how uniquely awesome the setting and story for this game is. There's nothing else like it.

Soundtrack arrived at my house today, love it of course. My only gripe is that the track list ripped as Unknown Artist and Track 1,2,3 etc.

Hated that. I ended up doing it manually.

cj_iwakura

Decided to pony up on the DLC thanks to the BestBuy deal. Yeesh, five bosses? I thought there was just Masakados and Ancient of the Sun. Are the other three worthwhile too? I grabbed the big two just now.

How do I go about fighting them? Not some Artorias-level ish, I hope.

Soulhouf

Decided to pony up on the DLC thanks to the BestBuy deal. Yeesh, five bosses? I thought there was just Masakados and Ancient of the Sun. Are the other three worthwhile too? I grabbed the big two just now.

How do I go about fighting them? Not some Artorias-level ish, I hope.

They are 7 bosses actually.
Ancient of the Sun is IMO the most consistent fight (and the most difficult of the bunch) but the 2 Clipped Wings have the best addition to the story, especially if you did the Law route and Mastema's side quest.

Masakado is the only one that requires the previous DLCs to beat but it's not hard.
You typically need demons level > 80 with good skill set and high HP to be able to beat them all.

cj_iwakura

They are 7 bosses actually.
Ancient of the Sun is IMO the most consistent fight (and the most difficult of the bunch) but the 2 Clipped Wings have the best addition to the story, especially if you did the Law route and Mastema's side quest.

Masakado is the only one that requires the previous DLCs to beat but it's not hard.
You typically need demons level > 80 with good skill set and high HP to be able to beat them all.

How do you access them? My only save besides clear data is right before
King Kenji
, so maybe I'll have to put it off for a replay.

Thoraxes

Gonna cross-post my post from the other thread!
======================================

Ahhhhhhhhhhh it's hereeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I finally got home from work!

:D :D :D :D :D

omg omg omg omg omg

Have some pics!

The audio quality is incredible, and listening to everything in their original uncompressed forms is quite the treat! My ears are picking up on a TON of little details that you can't hear on the 3DS, and for my sensitivity to such things, it's almost like listening to a whole new experience with the OST now that all the details of the audio are filled in finally! I also like that the box stands the same height as the LE game box too! They go nice together.

It heightened my love for my favorite OST of 2013 SO MUCH MORE! :D

Soulhouf

How do you access them? My only save besides clear data is right before
King Kenji
, so maybe I'll have to put it off for a replay.

They appear as quests and as soon as you accept one, you're sent to the place where the battle starts after a few conversations.

Gonna cross-post my post from the other thread!
======================================

Ahhhhhhhhhhh it's hereeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I finally got home from work!

:D :D :D :D :D

omg omg omg omg omg

Have some pics!

The audio quality is incredible, and listening to everything in their original uncompressed forms is quite the treat! My ears are picking up on a TON of little details that you can't hear on the 3DS, and for my sensitivity to such things, it's almost like listening to a whole new experience with the OST now that all the details of the audio are filled in finally! I also like that the box stands the same height as the LE game box too! They go nice together.

It heightened my love for my favorite OST of 2013 SO MUCH MORE! :D

It's...beautiful. For the love of god I hope someone puts the rips on YouTube before long--what we currently have doesn't sound great (and understandably so). I need this.

Young Magus

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! THE LAW AND CHAOS THEMES WHEN YOU TALK TO AKIRA ARE IN THE OST!!!!!! THEY ARE CALLED THE ORIGIN THEMES!!!!

I've come to love SMT and EO since Strange Journey came out, so I think I'd really like it now. What sort of differences can I expect in the demon roster? Will the battle system feel a little too familiar having just come off this game?

And is anyone looking to sell their copy? :)

Top Bottom