|OT| Shmups |OT| DoDonMuchihimetruxton Arrange v1.5

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
I played Raiden III, IV and V!
The best of these is Raiden IV, in my opinion!

The fifth game was a bit boring for me! No TATE mode too :( Also, the UI was very confusing! But it's a good game,despite its flaws!
Well, I should get around to Raiden III and IV eventually, then. Still a bit occupied by Lightening Force/Thunder Force IV.... hot damn that sprite-work is glorious. Never seen such beautiful parallax scrolling in my life.

cireza

Jun 1, 2014
Raiden V also has too many instances of enemies coming from the bottom of the screen and shooting immediately at you. Totally unpredictable, unless you know the game by heart of course. I hate this.

Reactions: Hudo

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
Raiden V also has too many instances of enemies coming from the bottom of the screen and shooting immediately at you. Totally unpredictable, unless you know the game by heart of course. I hate this.
So just like real life, then!

But yeah, this is also something I hate. But if Raiden is a series that originated from the arcades (which I assume it does?), then this is a valid, albeit somewhat scummy, thing to do. You wanna get those fools to spend more coins, man!

cireza

Jun 1, 2014
So just like real life, then!

But yeah, this is also something I hate. But if Raiden is a series that originated from the arcades (which I assume it does?), then this is a valid, albeit somewhat scummy, thing to do. You wanna get those fools to spend more coins, man!
There are actually many shmups that deal with this in a better way. Most of the time, when the enemies enter the lower part of the screen they stop shooting. Sure this is not realistic, but this is a video-game after all. It needs to be fun, not realistic !

Last edited:

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
There are actually many shmups that deal with this in a better way. Most of the time, when the enemies enter the lower part of the screen they stop shooting. Sure this is not realistic, but this is a video-game after all. It needs to be fun, not realistic !
I agree. You kinda made me now pay attention to how enemies enter the sceen :D

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Hudo Hudo Raiden V is pretty good, but I prefer IV. I need to sink more time into V because maybe I'll change my mind. I love the spectacle of it all. Probably one of the best-looking shmups made so far (in terms of graphical flare).

Raiden Fighters Aces (Fighters, Fighters 2, and Fighters Jet) is the best Raiden money can buy, though. Not a single mainline Raiden game can compare.

@Cubamus Prime Space Megaforce is sweet. I admit I played it in a very long while but I remember enjoying it, especially the soundtrack.

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
Hudo Hudo Raiden V is pretty good, but I prefer IV. I need to sink more time into V because maybe I'll change my mind. I love the spectacle of it all. Probably one of the best-looking shmups made so far (in terms of graphical flare).

Raiden Fighters Aces (Fighters, Fighters 2, and Fighters Jet) is the best Raiden money can buy, though. Not a single mainline Raiden game can compare.

@Cubamus Prime Space Megaforce is sweet. I admit I played it in a very long while but I remember enjoying it, especially the soundtrack.
Raiden Fighters? Oh boy. Okay. So I'll look into III, IV and the Fighters Aces! Thanks, duders, haha. But let me finish Thunder Force IV, first ^^

Reactions: DunDunDunpachi
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
The official title for 'Radirgy S' is revealed: Radirgy Swag. It will launch Spring 2019 in Japan (download only), but the specific platforms haven't been announced.

Milestone hasn't shown off any gameplay yet, so I wouldn't get too excited. This is gameplay from the first Radirgy:

Radirgy is a scarcely-known shmup that has a similar artstyle to Jet Grind Radio. If you live in the West, the best way to try earlier Milestone titles is the 'Ultimate Shooting Collection' on Nintendo Wii.

cireza

Jun 1, 2014
I remember this game from the Dreamcast later years. There was a bunch of pretty good shmups released at the end of the life of the console. Radirgy was okay, not great.

I remember Chaos Field that I loved. Not a great game though, but for whatever reason, the game really clicked for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Another spot of news:

Vasara Collection will have a Timeless mode, which not only changes the graphics but also procedurally-generates the stage. Gematsu with the details:

A procedurally generated game mode, completely built from scratch with polygonal graphics, which places the players against hordes of evil in a continuous battle for the top of the leaderboard.
In Timeless Mode, graphics are not the only thing that have changed, new gameplay mechanics have been added to make full use of the newly added widescreen gameplay area, such as a new Dash move, and support to up to four Players in co-op has been added.
Also, in Timeless Mode, you can play with any combination of heroes from both Vasara 1 and 2, each with their own stats and gameplay style.

Could be cool. I'm getting the collection either way so I guess this is a nice bonus. 4-player co-op is pretty darn neat for an extra mode, I have to admit.

I remember this game from the Dreamcast later years. There was a bunch of pretty good shmups released at the end of the life of the console. Radirgy was okay, not great.

I remember Chaos Field that I loved. Not a great game though, but for whatever reason, the game really clicked for me.
Both games have enough depth to their scoring and they're both competent shmups. Not gonna be everyone's favorite but I know some nerds who absolutely loved those titles.

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
That Gradius mothership model from the bottom of the article looks rad:

Yeah! That looks like a plastic model that has been photographed. Would be pretty rad to have a plastic model of the mothership, ha! But I have to admit that my favourite Shmup-series from Konami is still Twinbee. Especially Detana!! Twinbee. But I highly respect Gradius, though.

Reactions: Shifty.
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Keep your eyes on this system11 thread for the upcoming Fightcade 2019 festival in Spain which includes a lot of shmups.

It's taking place on April 5th - 7th.

Venue:
Casa de Cultura de Murchante
Calle Mayor, 104, 31521 Murchante, Navarra, Spain
The next 5-6-7th April 2019 will be celebrated the most important Arcade event in Spain again .
The next edition will be focused mainly in the SHMUPS and Head to Head Versus games .
Tickets available here :

List of the shmups available (as of this posting):
CAVE:
Donpachi
Dodonpachi
Dodonpachi DOJ & BL
Dodonpachi DFK 1.5
Dodonpachi SDOJ
Ibara
Ketsui
Progear

TOAPLAN:
Batsugun & Special
Dogyuun
Fixeight
HellFire
Out Zone
Tatsujin Oh
Vimana
V-V

PSIKYO:
Dragon Blaze
Strikers 1945 II
Strikers 1999
Gunbird 2

RAIZING:
Mahou Daisakusen
Soukyugurentai
2-Battle Garegga
Armed Police Batrider
Battle Bakraid
Great Mahou Daisakusen

CAPCOM:
1941 Counter Attack
VARTH
Carrier Air Wing
19XX

SEIBU:
Raiden

WARASHI:
Shienryu

TREASURE:
Radiant Silvergun

VIDEO SYSTEM:
Sonic Wings

TAITO:
Darius Gaiden
DariusBurst Another Chronicle EX

VISCO:
Storm Blade

IREM:
Image Fight

NICHIBUTSU:
UFO Robo Dangar

NEO•GEO:
Blazing Star
Pulstar
Sonic Wings 2
Sonic Wings 3

NAOMI :
ALL SHMUPS via NetBoot

TAITO Type X/X2:
ALL SHMUPS via MULTI HDD

Last edited:
Reactions: Wonko_C
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
PSiKYO Vol.3 is available for preorder, a regular edition ($35) and a limited edition ($85; pictured).

Expected to ship May 30th, 2019, but that could be a placeholder.

Games included in this Volume:

Gunbarich -- a strange shmup/Arkanoid hybrid. Not a favorite of mine, but definitely a peculiar game that is worth trying.

Strikers 1999 -- a.k.a Strikers 1945 III. This has never received a physical release.

Zero Gunner 2- -- helicopter shmup with an interesting aiming mechanic. Enemies appear from all side of the screen.

Sengoku Cannon -- previously only available on the Playstation Portable. This is a sidescrolling shmup similar to Tengai/Sengoku Blade.

---

Strikers 1999 is a real gem and worth the price of admission if you are a shmup nerd.

Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Can Anyone recommend an arcade stick that works with 360 and ps4?
A single arcade stick that you buy off the shelf? No. That doesn't exist.

You'll need to build one or mod one using a Brook's Universal board.

I like Hori as a brand because they build really strong, easy-to-mod cases. It's the case that matters. The buttons and stick and PCB can all be swapped out.

I guess it depends on how deep you wanna get. It would be more expensive -- but easier -- to just buy a good, used 360 stick and also a PS4 stick.

Reactions: Chozofication_
Feb 15, 2018
United States
A single arcade stick that you buy off the shelf? No. That doesn't exist.

You'll need to build one or mod one using a Brook's Universal board.

I like Hori as a brand because they build really strong, easy-to-mod cases. It's the case that matters. The buttons and stick and PCB can all be swapped out.

I guess it depends on how deep you wanna get. It would be more expensive -- but easier -- to just buy a good, used 360 stick and also a PS4 stick.

I see. Can you sell the gutted parts after you mod the case or is it basically junk at that point lol

I'll think about it then. Wish I could find a bug princess hori stick that would be sweet to mod.

Last edited: