• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sifu |OT| Old Boy

Con-Z-epT

what’s wrong with the L1 dodge in this game? Just me or is does it just feel off and really bad..? More than half of the time my character will just stand there taking hits instead.. I don’t get this fucking game.
You need to hold down L1 and use the left stick with the right direction to avoid the attack while timing it correctly. Wrong direction or a button press to early or to late will lead to you taking hits.

DarthPutin

Western people on Twitter: Noooo you can't make games about asian cultures if you aren't asian, it's wrong and offensive.

Meanwhile in japan:

I think an idea is that white people, who have all the power, appropriate minority group's culture for their own gain. Which... you have to be pretty delusional westie to say this wrt China. China!

They should've hired some chinese people for this though, it would make all the difference. Just grab any chinese devs, by virtue of being chinese they'll be qualified to speak about martial arts. That's not a racist idea at all.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
why is my age going up by like 2-4 years each time instead of 1? i thought it went up by 1 each death?
Your age goes up by the current value of your death counter.

Your death counter increases by one for every death.

So if you've died four times before, your age will increase by four plus one for the new death, so e.g. 25–>30, then 30–>36 the next time, then 36–>43 etc.

However, your death counter will decrease by one every time you kill a special enemy. That doesn’t decrease your age, but does decrease your death penalty.

Basically if you only die once to each special enemy and boss your death penalty will keep being one year, but if you die at all to regular enemies or multiple times to special enemies/bosses, your age will spiral out of control very quickly.

GHG

This game just oozes class and style. The combat, the visual style and the music all come together so well. It's basically a roguelite fighting version of Sekiro

Made it to the first boss on my first run and swiftly got my ass handed to me. Really, really enjoying it so far even though I've only spent just under an hour with it. Should keep me more than occupied until Elden Ring drops. Might get involved with Lost Ark between now and then as well.

Also worth noting this runs brilliantly on PC. DLSS was a nice surprise, running 4k DLSS quality on a 2070S and it's smooth as silk.

Yet another indie/AA banger.

SLB1904

Banned
This game just oozes class and style. The combat, the visual style and the music all come together so well. It's basically a roguelite fighting version of Sekiro

Made it to the first boss on my first run and swiftly got my ass handed to me. Really, really enjoying it so far even though I've only spent just under an hour with it. Should keep me more than occupied until Elden Ring drops. Might get involved with Lost Ark between now and then as well.

Also worth noting this runs brilliantly on PC. DLSS was a nice surprise, running 4k DLSS quality on a 2070S and it's smooth as silk.

Yet another indie/AA banger.
that intro tho.. the game is sick. hoping for a bigger budget sequel

GHG

that intro tho.. the game is sick. hoping for a bigger budget sequel

The intro took me off guard, the whole sequence from the moment you boot up the game, through the intro credits and then to the corridor fight. Absolutely sensational.

But, having seen what bigger budgets have resulted in recently... I'm not so sure that would be a good thing 😆

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
The intro took me off guard, the whole sequence from the moment you boot up the game, through the intro credits and then to the corridor fight. Absolutely sensational.

But, having seen what bigger budgets have resulted in recently... I'm not so sure that would be a good thing 😆
i want a franchise out of this. so good

Represent.

Banned
Game definintely needs a bigger budget sequel.

Imagine this game with top notch graphics, insane brutality, and a more fleshed out story. GOD damn.

Would be The Raid in interactive format.

e1e5ec3f4103d4f3afaed286f6fe41da99de75cf.gifv

38b30f534bb387149714281ed9262db33d89d0e6.gifv

0ec47e51be748b660e767e3f7db12250b278d870.gifv

Sloclap is on the radar now officially for me.

What happens if I turn the game off, do I have to start from level 1 again?

Last edited:

tommib

Banned

Imagine this game with top notch graphics, insane brutality, and a more fleshed out story. GOD damn.

No, it autosaves in checkpoints.

UncleMeat

Damnit....I'm gonna have to buy this game! I thought I was done with hard games but this combat looks sick.

Question (sorry if it's been covered) but if I'm reading the PS store description correctly purchasing the digital version gives me access to both ps4 and ps5 versions correct? B/c I only have a ps4 right now but will eventually get a 5.

Hestar69

If retard era hates this game, this game must be amazing. claebhart42 is playing it right now gonna watch him play and see how it is (havent really payed attention to this game at all). If it's good,I'll get it tomorrow.

SLB1904

Banned
If retard era hates this game, this game must be amazing. claebhart42 is playing it right now gonna watch him play and see how it is (havent really payed attention to this game at all). If it's good,I'll get it tomorrow.
it is good. if you get it, pay attention to the tutorials. i just find out, there are different inputs for high attacks and low attacks lol

lol

Last edited:

Clover904

I’m salivating. Goddamn. Sony. Microsoft. I don’t care, whoever makes this a reality is getting my money day one.

Zelphyr

Jesus christ these people can't enjoy anything...

What a bunch of sad souls.
That sort of nitpicking is borderline mental illness.

Back on topic I don't posess the reflexes required anymore without me throwing my toilet out the window within 20 minutes of playing this game.
I absolutely love the art style and will live vicariously through all you young guns kicking ass.
Have fun 😀

decisions

whoever said permanent unlock is useless is full of shit. shit is useful

I have a conspiracy theory in my head that SkillUp doesn't actually play a lot of the games he reviews. Something is just off about a lot of his criticisms, where I struggle to believe they even stem from a subjective experience of playing the game. I first started feeling this way after watching his Cyberpunk review.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
whoever said permanent unlock is useless is full of shit. shit is useful
The sweep focus is great for disarming a weapon enemy when you’re in a group encounter. Grabbing thrown objects mid-air is essential too. And the additional combos make your offense more versatile.

SLB1904

Banned

Echo chamber. Lol
Weirdos

Hestar69

it is good. if you get it, pay attention to the tutorials. i just find out, there are different inputs for high attacks and low attacks lol

lol

lol thanks for the heads up! I don't pay attention to tutorials really so i will on this game (seems hard as hell). I got it but I prolly won't play it until tomorrow

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Is there actually missing content?

tbh these days I put games into the "good" and "not good" column. If it's good then it is worth whatever the asking price is.
Same for me. $70 is my limit but I'm more than fine paying it for a good game

Sifu has already given me my $40 money's worth and then some

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
what’s wrong with the L1 dodge in this game? Just me or is does it just feel off and really bad..? More than half of the time my character will just stand there taking hits instead.. I don’t get this fucking game.
It's deeper than just holding L1, you have to press left, right, up or down with it depending on what attack the enemy is doing. Example: Holding L1 and pressing up dodges sweeps

UncleMeat

If the developers apologize I'm not buying it. They shouldn't even acknowledge this nonsense.

luffie

I have a conspiracy theory in my head that SkillUp doesn't actually play a lot of the games he reviews. Something is just off about a lot of his criticisms, where I struggle to believe they even stem from a subjective experience of playing the game. I first started feeling this way after watching his Cyberpunk review.
eh, not really. I've beaten the game, perm unlocks are mostly for stylish purposes, but barely affecting the game between winning and losing.

Catching objects useful for level 3 boss, but changes nothing. Kicking objects sometimes trips an enemy, but changes nothing, you still need to counter their combos. Focus sweeps makes it easier to get free hits, but at the end of the day, if you cannot win without it, you will not win the game.

The last boss removes focus, and give no space to execute fancy combos. Just try the simple back breaker combo on a boss, or elite enemies, almost guaranteed you will never get to finish them.

In fact one of them easiest unlocks "thousand strikes" is problematic to use on bosses when you want to achieve the peaceful ending because it depletes the health slightly more.

Last edited:

luffie

Is it cultural appropriation when Japanese devs like from soft have dark fantasy themes in dark souls or Victorian themes in Bloodborne? 🤔

Or does it only apply to when “westerners” do it?
Don't fill your minds with such toxic wastes, they are a toxic echo chamber. I am asian, and chinese, and i can guarantee you not a single irl chinese ever complain about this kind of appropriation.

Sneed Wagon

Neo Member
This game is a training montage in vidya form.

Everytime I start a level for the first time I get absolutely wasted. Then I try again and do a little better the next time, learning new tech and optimizations with each try.

It really is a wonderful feeling when you you can get a level completed in far fewer deaths than the last time.

Are left and right dodge counted as the same thing or do you literally have to also dodge to the opposite side of strikes and read them at that level as well? Probably just my imagination but some of the straight / mid unblockables I can't tell if my timing is off or if I'm dodging to the wrong side.

luffie

Are left and right dodge counted as the same thing or do you literally have to also dodge to the opposite side of strikes and read them at that level as well? Probably just my imagination but some of the straight / mid unblockables I can't tell if my timing is off or if I'm dodging to the wrong side.
"Weaving" is only up or down, this is applicable whether the guy is punching right or left.

Most attacks are upper attacks, so you weave "down". You have to time your weave too otherwise you get hit.

With the exception of boss' special attacks, I'll just weave downwards and eat any swipes from mobs.

"Dodge" is the R2 button, which is different than weaving and less useful

"Weaving" is only up or down, this is applicable whether the guy is punching right or left.

Most attacks are upper attacks, so you weave "down". You have to time your weave too otherwise you get hit.

With the exception of boss' special attacks, I'll just weave downwards and eat any swipes from mobs.

"Dodge" is the R2 button, which is different than weaving and less useful
You can weave to the sides too. They have attacks that go right down the middle vertically sometimes, particularly with weapons. Unless I'm taking crazy pills.

luffie

I
You can weave to the sides too. They have attacks that go right down the middle vertically sometimes, particularly with weapons. Unless I'm taking crazy pills.
It's probably crazy pills, don't worry i took them too. Even for attacks that goes middle, it's still "down", just a grab is also "down". If down doesn't work, then the game classify it as a low attack and you weave "up".

Multiple attacks from the last boss is "down, down, down".

I

It's probably crazy pills, don't worry i took them too. Even for attacks that goes middle, it's still "down", just a grab is also "down". If down doesn't work, then the game classify it as a low attack and you weave "up".

Multiple attacks from the last boss is "down, down, down".
Interesting. Well that might be a large part of my issue right there. I'll try it out tonight.

Awesome to hear the game getting some mad love.

Question is, how does it run on the OG Ps4?

Is it a smooth and locked 30 fps, or stuttery?

Concern

So this is digital only till may?

Tried to rent but they have release date for May. Not trying to buy anything else for PlayStation until I upgrade.

Catphish

I'm pretty proud of myself. I bought the PS4Pro version instead of the PC version. I was sooo tempted, but stuck to my guns, because fuck EGS. 🖕

I played this last night til my hands hurt. It's fun, no doubt, and well-executed, but I expected more in the way of combos and move variety. That's not to say that what's here is lacking. It isn't, and it'll probably take me days, if not weeks, to become fluent with it. I just expected the move list to be longer.

Maybe I shouldn't have watched Ip Man before playing...

At any rate, I predicted an 82 metascore for this one, and that's about what I'd give it, at the moment. Maybe an 85. We'll see how I feel when I finish it. No buyer's remorse yet, so I think it's worth the $40.

lefty1117

It's deeper than just holding L1, you have to press left, right, up or down with it depending on what attack the enemy is doing. Example: Holding L1 and pressing up dodges sweeps
Interesting ...so by default should we pretty much be holding on to L1 and ready to snap the left stick, and then only let go when attacking? Is that meant to be the default approach?

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Interesting ...so by default should we pretty much be holding on to L1 and ready to snap the left stick, and then only let go when attacking? Is that meant to be the default approach?

Got some more practice in and, no. Generally you don’t want to hold onto any button for any time. You should constantly be changing what you are doing. From quick jabs, stuns, and leg kicks, parrying and weaving in and out of doing damage, and using the environment to help break up enemy groups.

Essentially only hold L1 during a combo if you don’t think you can parry the attacks. I went from 70 on the first two levels to 22 by the end of level 2. Took a short bit to get used to it, but once you get that flow down you are essentially unstoppable. Everything is so much easier after level 2. A few bosses are tricky, but they are the only things you need to worry about.

No, you also are constantly on the move so you can bottleneck enemies and not get surrounded. Using environmental objects, or rolling over tables to slow them down and take on enemies 1-2 at a time instead of 6 at a time.

You use L1 a lot, but also move basically. You also can throw enemies after a parry for crowd control, or do the palm strikes to push enemies away and into walls / objects. Or trip to buy you some time, or get i-frames while doing the ground hits.

You also need to get used to moving the camera a little bit so you spot enemies with bottles at a distance before they throw it at your head. Situational awareness is easy to miss on this one when surrounded.

Last edited:
Top Bottom