• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Mr. Virus

Just completed the Capcom sequel to Mickey's Magical Quest, The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie. Pretty mediocre game all around. Looks fantastic just as the first game, and the ability to change costumes for various abilities is cool, but a bit half-assed imo. You almost never need to change, and a few of them are more annoying than anything. Still some decent level design and bosses here, and the fact that it is two player makes it a pretty worthwhile experience, especially as a girlfriend or kid-game, which i guess is what it was always intended to be:

Have you played the 3rd one? How does it compare?

Have the 1st two and wondering if it's worth a pick up.

Olly88

This arrived today. I can't believe it. There was such a big part of me that was convinced that it was going to be a fake, but it's all complete and legit;

8iO88U6.jpg

It's one of those games I had accepted that I was very likely never going to get. Played the first couple of levels so far and I actually like it quite a lot so far.

Olly88

Holy shit that looked great! Did you get a deal on it or break the bank?

I got it for €129. Was amazed when I saw it listed since the cart alone usually goes for more than that.

Plus I had €95 in vouchers to spend, so it only cost me €35 of actual money.

Guys my SNES has been acting up on me. Had a major session with friends recently. I think they may have pulled a cartridge out without the eject button. Anyways games don't seem to be booting up properly anymore. Even carts I know that are in excellent condition. I see the power light but no signal goes to my console. Is it possible something is lose or the pins are dirty?

Teknoman

Just completed the Capcom sequel to Mickey's Magical Quest, The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie. Pretty mediocre game all around. Looks fantastic just as the first game, and the ability to change costumes for various abilities is cool, but a bit half-assed imo. You almost never need to change, and a few of them are more annoying than anything. Still some decent level design and bosses here, and the fact that it is two player makes it a pretty worthwhile experience, especially as a girlfriend or kid-game, which i guess is what it was always intended to be:

I have no idea how Capcom knocked it out of the park with the first game, both stylistically (audio and visuals) and gameplay wise, but lowered the bar for the second. Magical Quest was like G&G lite, and the soundtrack was superb.

Stuff like The Dark Forest and Pete's Peak had my expectations pretty up there when I popped the Circus Mystery in.

Any impressions on the 3rd game?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I got it for €129. Was amazed when I saw it listed since the cart alone usually goes for more than that.

Plus I had €95 in vouchers to spend, so it only cost me €35 of actual money.

Wow, thats a great price. Congrats!

I have no idea how Capcom knocked it out of the park with the first game, both stylistically (audio and visuals) and gameplay wise, but lowered the bar for the second. Magical Quest was like G&G lite, and the soundtrack was superb.

Stuff like The Dark Forest and Pete's Peak had my expectations pretty up there when I popped the Circus Mystery in.

Any impressions on the 3rd game?

Well the second game isnt bad, just uninspired imo, which is sad. A bit like the Disney-sequels Capcom did in about 93-94 on the Nes. Not tried the third game yet, but own it, and will try to get through it this weekend. Will post about it in!

D.Lo

This arrived today. I can't believe it. There was such a big part of me that was convinced that it was going to be a fake, but it's all complete and legit;

It's one of those games I had accepted that I was very likely never going to get. Played the first couple of levels so far and I actually like it quite a lot so far.
I sold my copy for $500 a few years ago lol. Grabbed a nice Drac XX for $80 and rolled right on haha.

Morfeo

I sold my copy for $500 a few years ago lol. Grabbed a nice Drac XX for $80 and rolled right on haha.

Haha, yeah i actually have my copy up on local sites here, going to replace it with XX if somebody bites on it.

Is there any way to avoid reproductions on ebay? It seems like things that aren't even that much money but were popular (Breath of fire) have a good amount on ebay. :/

Is there any way to avoid reproductions on ebay? It seems like things that aren't even that much money but were popular (Breath of fire) have a good amount on ebay. :/

It's gotten pretty bad lately.

I would recommend buying JP cartridges when it makes sense as they don't seem to have hardly any repros. They're also much cheaper.

For US games, the best thing I would recommend is avoid ebay altogether. There are good sellers here on GAF as well as on other forums but yeah it's a lot less convenient.

Olly88

You could always ask the sellers for picture of the board, but unless they're a hardcore gaming seller then they might not have a clue what you're talking about or know how to.

The more you browse the more you can just kind of tell by looking, especially with boxes. I think anyway, maybe it's just me, but there are small things that set off alarm bells in my head. Although it's probably best not to talk about those too specifically in the open, we don't want to give the people making them tips on what to improve lol.

It's gotten pretty bad lately.

I would recommend buying JP cartridges when it makes sense as they don't seem to have hardly any repros. They're also much cheaper.

For US games, the best thing I would recommend is avoid ebay altogether. There are good sellers here on GAF as well as on other forums but yeah it's a lot less convenient.

I mean... Sort of... It's not like there's just tons of carts for sale on here that you can pick up whatever you want.

You could always ask the sellers for picture of the board, but unless they're a hardcore gaming seller then they might not have a clue what you're talking about or know how to.

The more you browse the more you can just kind of tell by looking, especially with boxes. I think anyway, maybe it's just me, but there are small things that set off alarm bells in my head. Although it's probably best not to talk about those too specifically in the open, we don't want to give the people making them tips on what to improve lol.

I mean, people make videos and stuff anyhow about it so it's not like you keeping it to yourself is making it harder for them to improve. I know certain things to look for but these are ebay pictures so it's not like it's high res pictures from 30 angles for most of them. It's usually people with slightly overpriced prices that have good pictures of different angles, the board, etc.

Olly88

I mean, people make videos and stuff anyhow about it so it's not like you keeping it to yourself is making it harder for them to improve. I know certain things to look for but these are ebay pictures so it's not like it's high res pictures from 30 angles for most of them. It's usually people with slightly overpriced prices that have good pictures of different angles, the board, etc.

Yeah I guess. The main thing I look for is the thickness and shade of the box interior. If you check a repro box with a legit one, and you'll see repros are almost always white, or very light inside compared to an original, and thinner. Like you said though, sometimes the pictures used aren't great so it can be hard to see.

NDPsycho

Yeah I guess. The main thing I look for is the thickness and shade of the box interior. If you check a repro box with a legit one, and you'll see repros are almost always white, or very light inside compared to an original, and thinner. Like you said though, sometimes the pictures used aren't great so it can be hard to see.

Generally true for most boxes. Later releases, especially the majesco releases printed in Mexico vary some, just like the labels do. Still on grey recycled stock, but a little lighter, less glossy, etc. At least thats been my observation.

Olly88

Generally true for most boxes. Later releases, especially the majesco releases printed in Mexico vary some, just like the labels do. Still on grey recycled stock, but a little lighter, less glossy, etc. At least thats been my observation.

Ah right, I don't really know much about those Mexico releases, but have heard about them a little in the past.

Morfeo

Hello guys, I need some help with an old Snes i picked up. It powers on, but there simply is no image (the framemeister screen stays blue). Using the same cables as my regular Snes, so I know they are not the problems. Any idea what i should do? I doubt its the cart connector since that usually gives a black screen, but here the Framemeister simply fails to find the image. I have also tried it directly on my tv just in case, and no luck there either. Its a pal snes by the way.

Timu

Hello guys, I need some help with an old Snes i picked up. It powers on, but there simply is no image (the framemeister screen stays blue). Using the same cables as my regular Snes, so I know they are not the problems. Any idea what i should do? I doubt its the cart connector since that usually gives a black screen, but here the Framemeister simply fails to find the image. I have also tried it directly on my tv just in case, and no luck there either. Its a pal snes by the way.
That SNES sounds like it's in trouble and might be on it's last legs, I sure hope not!

Try it with composite?

Morfeo

I tried with composite, and then with RF and with rf i finally got sound! After some finetuning i also got image, and then when i turned it back to composite and rgb, it just worked for some reason. No idea why, but guess you sometimes just have to keep at turning the machine on and off for a while with no good reason. Anyways, it works fine now which is awesome. Then i can sell it with a clean consciousness.

I tried with composite, and then with RF and with rf i finally got sound! After some finetuning i also got image, and then when i turned it back to composite and rgb, it just worked for some reason. No idea why, but guess you sometimes just have to keep at turning the machine on and off for a while with no good reason. Anyways, it works fine now which is awesome. Then i can sell it with a clean consciousness.

The contacts on the AV out may just be in bad shape. Repeated insertion/removal might have cleaned it up just enough.

Have you ever used a contact cleaner like Deoxit? It's pretty common for music applications where dirty/corroded connectors are fairly common. Just spray a bit into the AV out, insert/remove the cable a few times. It shouldn't hurt anything at worst and at best it might make that more reliable.

Timu

That was close, guess you got to fuck around until it works again.

Morfeo

The contacts on the AV out may just be in bad shape. Repeated insertion/removal might have cleaned it up just enough.

Have you ever used a contact cleaner like Deoxit? It's pretty common for music applications where dirty/corroded connectors are fairly common. Just spray a bit into the AV out, insert/remove the cable a few times. It shouldn't hurt anything at worst and at best it might make that more reliable.

No, but ordering it now based on your recommendation! And yeah, it was probably the AV out contacts that was dirty.

That was close, guess you got to fuck around until it works again.

Indeed!

Olly88

I may be committing heresy with what I'm about to say, but so be it...

Castlevania Vampire's Kiss/Drac X... is fucking awesome. Seriously, I'm absolutely loving it. It's one of those games that's reminding me why I love these kind of games so much. That bit where
you fall off the ledge and end up in another level?!
WTF? So good.

Morfeo

Its definitely a good game that got a bad rep because smart asses on the internet knew that it was an inferior port. Which is true, but it doesnt make it bad in its own right - it just makes it slightly less awesome than the absolutely amazing original!

^kinda agree, but no way does it warrant the price it commands these days. i imported it years ago for like $40 or something and didn't even like paying that much.

D.Lo

Drac XX is not a port at all. It's unfortunate the US version is called Castlevania Dracula X (essentially a direct localisation of Akumajou Dracula X), because it's not the same game at all.

It uses the same music (incredibly well translated to chip from the CD original), and many of the same sprites and some bosses. But the graphics engine for the stages is massively upgraded, and all the levels are completely new. Certain elements are clear upgrades, eg the stage end music matching the boss music.

The tragedy of the game is it was clearly designed to be a full sequel, but was given a tiny cart and rushed, meaning it ended up half sequel and half rushed port. Crappy scene transitions and boring layouts are the biggest signs. It ends up feeling like a rom hack of a better game, but still plays well.

Olly88

Small print run, IIRC.

Everything in SNES is shifting/has shifted to a "collectors" mentality.

I would be cool if there was a way to see how many copies games (the not best selling ones) from that era sold/were made.

^kinda agree, but no way does it warrant the price it commands these days. i imported it years ago for like $40 or something and didn't even like paying that much.

Yeah I agree it is way to expensive for what you get.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's worth the price it goes for, but then I'm not sure I'd say any game is :p

Just been going through some of the people's collections here. Some are crazy. I love looking at them.

Drac XX is not a port at all. It's unfortunate the US version is called Castlevania Dracula X (essentially a direct localisation of Akumajou Dracula X), because it's not the same game at all.

It uses the same music (incredibly well translated to chip from the CD original), and many of the same sprites and some bosses. But the graphics engine for the stages is massively upgraded, and all the levels are completely new. Certain elements are clear upgrades, eg the stage end music matching the boss music.

The tragedy of the game is it was clearly designed to be a full sequel, but was given a tiny cart and rushed, meaning it ended up half sequel and half rushed port. Crappy scene transitions and boring layouts are the biggest signs. It ends up feeling like a rom hack of a better game, but still plays well.

Levels are also pretty poorly put together, with some chimera'd from other Castlevania games, and the game is difficult in a pretty unfair way.

Olly88

I just played and completed Magical Quest 3. I thought it was great. The different costumes were good and all came in handy at different times. The controls were mostly good and level design was also good. Obviously the graphics and music were great. I recommend it!

Fluxdyne

This is a bit off-topic, I apologize in advance.
Someone sent byuu (author of bsnes/higan) a shipment of 100 PAL games from Germany to the USA so he could scan and help preserve them. However it's been 45 since they were sent and it still hasn't arrived.
He tried to contact USPS but he is being ignored. If someone could somehow draw attention to this, maybe by creating a new topic here (byuu has tried, but he is a junior so he has no privilege to do it), or by posting this on some news site, that would be great.
If this package turns out to be lost byuu will probably cease his preservation efforts and is going to pay back for those carts as he feels responsible (he is the one who asked for them).

If you are interested you can read more on his forum:
https://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1525

This is a bit off-topic, I apologize in advance.
Someone sent byuu (author of bsnes/higan) a shipment of 100 PAL games from Germany to the USA so he could scan and help preserve them. However it's been 45 since they were sent and it still hasn't arrived.
He tried to contact USPS but he is being ignored. If someone could somehow draw attention to this, maybe by creating a new topic here (byuu has tried, but he is a junior so he has no privilege to do it), or by posting this on some news site, that would be great.
If this package turns out to be lost byuu will probably cease his preservation efforts and is going to pay back for those carts as he feels responsible (he is the one who asked for them).

If you are interested you can read more on his forum:
https://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1525
What do you mean pay back? Did they not insure a $10k package

Fluxdyne

What do you mean pay back? Did they not insure a $10k package

Apparently not for the full value.

byuu's post said:
If this package ends up lost, it's the end of SNES PAL preservation for good. That'll be 300+ games that won't ever get verified. And it will be the end of all donations, including US/JP variants that I don't already have/have dumped. I won't ever accept another package from anyone if this package gets lost. And it will substantially cripple my finances, because I am going to repay the donor for every single cart if it comes to that, no matter how long it takes. I'm going to have to fundraise like crazy to try and reimburse him too. There's insurance, but it won't cover nearly the full value of these games, and it's not a guarantee we'll even be able to get DHL to pay out for USPS' fuck up. The donor is going to be screwed by having to wait probably 6-12 months to get refunded, even though the games should already be on their way back by now. And it's entirely my fault, because I'm the one that asked him to send the games.

Morfeo

I just played and completed Magical Quest 3. I thought it was great. The different costumes were good and all came in handy at different times. The controls were mostly good and level design was also good. Obviously the graphics and music were great. I recommend it!

Cool! Going to check it out myself soon.

I have a SNES I suspect has a bad power supply, what is a good replacement? I've seen a lot of different options, and some claim that the original was not good.

Cheerilee

I have a SNES I suspect has a bad power supply, what is a good replacement? I've seen a lot of different options, and some claim that the original was not good.

IIRC, I saw someone explaining once that a Nintendo first party power supply isn't "not good", because it plainly operates within the boundaries of what the SNES considers to be acceptable, so it's obviously "good".

But if you're one of those types who say "First party only, I never trust anything that doesn't have a Nintendo Seal of Quality" then you're depriving yourself of some perfectly good alternatives, because if you know what you're doing, you can find a power supply that more perfectly matches the SNES's power demands than even the first party power supply does.

IIRC, there's a circuit in the SNES that fine tunes the power drawn from the power supply down to the system's exact power needs, and if you lower the power on your power supply to get closer to that exact point, steady and without ever dipping below, then you can theoretically lower the strain on that circuit and lower the heat generated by the console.

So if it's possible to be even more accurate than the first party power supply, then there's no need to fear stepping away from the shelter of Nintendo's guarantee.

But I don't know the exact details. I'm still running on my original power supply. Hopefully someone else knows (there's a ton of smart people on GAF).

But if you're one of those types who say "First party only, I never trust anything that doesn't have a Nintendo Seal of Quality" then you're depriving yourself of some perfectly good alternatives, because if you know what you're doing, you can find a power supply that more perfectly matches the SNES's power demands than even the first party power supply does.

It's not that all 3rd party stuff is bad, it's that they tend to be overwhelmingly cheaply made junk to hit a lower price point than OEM stuff. Some of it is not really made safely and can be a fire hazard.

IIRC, there's a circuit in the SNES that fine tunes the power drawn from the power supply down to the system's exact power needs, and if you lower the power on your power supply to get closer to that exact point, steady and without ever dipping below, then you can theoretically lower the strain on that circuit and lower the heat generated by the console

There's a 7805 in it that massively wastes power by burning away any voltage above 5V. And yeah supplying less volts helps. Even better is to just tear it out if you're capable... my SNES can run on a PC's USB port.

The problem is even if you supply different voltage, 3rd party power supplies don't always supply a steady, clean voltage. You end up with spikes and droops, and more importantly noise.

Take a look at this comparison between Apple and knockoff power supplies. You don't even need to know what any of this means to know that the one on the right is doing something wrong:

Olly88

So glad to finally have this

Been wanting to get a copy for about 3-4 years, but it's been surprisingly (or maybe not that surprising these days) tricky to find one in nice condition for a good price.

IIRC, I saw someone explaining once that a Nintendo first party power supply isn't "not good", because it plainly operates within the boundaries of what the SNES considers to be acceptable, so it's obviously "good".

IIRC, there's a circuit in the SNES that fine tunes the power drawn from the power supply down to the system's exact power needs, and if you lower the power on your power supply to get closer to that exact point, steady and without ever dipping below, then you can theoretically lower the strain on that circuit and lower the heat generated by the console.

So if it's possible to be even more accurate than the first party power supply, then there's no need to fear stepping away from the shelter of Nintendo's guarantee.

But I don't know the exact details. I'm still running on my original power supply. Hopefully someone else knows (there's a ton of smart people on GAF).

Good points. I know that the Retro DC universal supply out of Israel is good, but it's also $50. So I'm wondering if there are good third party options other than that one.

Peltz

Are first party AC adapters expensive or something? I haven't shopped around for one in years.

Such a great game. The plot is a bit hokey, but the music and the atmosphere! Ahhhhh.

So much fun to play too, even if combat is a bit wonky and alchemy is kinda grindy in practice. I've been looking for a decent shape box for my copy and you're right, anything in good shape costs way to much. It's really shot up in price even if though its not one of the greats on the system.

So glad to finally have this

Been wanting to get a copy for about 3-4 years, but it's been surprisingly (or maybe not that surprising these days) tricky to find one in nice condition for a good price.

Top Bottom