• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

Shmmeee

mashoutposse said:
UK prices also include 17.5% VAT. The US $599 price does not. Subtracting taxes from a theoretical £400 pricepoint suggests that those in England aren't really getting screwed. Yes, they are paying a bit more, but that can be attributed to forex fluctuation and (I believe) higher import duties.

There is no way it'll be £400. PS1 launched at £299, PS2 launched at £299, it's always straight dollar to pound conversion. We'll be paying £599 I'd put money on it, that's nearly £300 difference from the US price, which is way more than taxes.

Diablos

johns all like: It's a race between those who THINK they are gonna take over the living room, when in reality, we just wanna play some damn games. Sony is clearly the most arrogant; MS on the other hand is lagging far, far behind --
not like that's a bad thing.

PS3 isn't replacing my computer. Sorry, Sony.

<nu>faust

my personal summary of sony conference

the good

heavenly sword (omg fckin insane action, amazing animation..etc)

mgs4 (kojima the master, flawless victory as always)

lair (awesome cinematic visuals, as expected factor 5 respect ++)

fainaru fantasy 13 (much super japanese greatness)

virtua fighter 5 (*bows down *)

psp support

inclusion of hdd in every ps3 system

the bad

the price point (499$- 599$ noo, hell fkcing no!)

the sony tard pack (no hdmi output, no wifi, cut down ports?!! whose fckin idea was this? how fck ppl r gonna upgrade their machines for true hd (1080p) out put that sony has been braggin about , why splittin the userbase,whyyyyyyy?!

new controller (extra motion detection ability? ok i guess some games can make a good use of it, it's kinda copy/reaction to wii but i'll take it,it's a step forward...no wait, rumble feature is gone,wtf???)

the realtime downgrading/e3 05 was just an illusion shit,(f1, tekken,genji...etc right down dissapointing, so much for much for sony saving us from dimishing returns and crappy looking next gen games)

new system dimensions (bigger and heavier than xbox!!! wtf?)

no megaton (no wow, no gta exclusivity, no nothing)

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Shmmeee said:
There is no way it'll be £400. PS1 launched at £299, PS2 launched at £299, it's always straight dollar to pound conversion. We'll be paying £599 I'd put money on it, that's nearly £300 difference from the US price, which is way more than taxes.

The dollar was much stronger against the pound sterling. Sony hasn't used 1:1 pricing for the UK since -- PSP Value Pack is £179, compared to $249 in the US. Last I checked, £179 - 17.5% UK VAT is approximately $269. That's fair pricing considering that the dollar could come back at "any" time.

Zaptruder

Banned
Diablos said:
johns all like: It's a race between those who THINK they are gonna take over the living room, when in reality, we just wanna play some damn games. Sony is clearly the most arrogant; MS on the other hand is lagging far, far behind --
not like that's a bad thing.

PS3 isn't replacing my computer. Sorry, Sony.

If it turns out to be a practical PC replacement would you think about it, or would you pass up on it just on 'principle'?

Zaptruder said:
If it turns out to be a practical PC replacement would you think about it, or would you pass up on it just on 'principle'?

why would you buy something to replace your computer when it cant do 90% of the things your computer can do?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Heian-kyo said:
The common consumer isn't being targeted; people need to understand this fact. The PS2 is for the common consumer. Sony is attempting to lengthen both console cycles with this price, and whether it works or not we'll have to wait and see. The PS2 proved that the common consumer was willing to pay $179 and $149, which was higher than they were willing to spend on the PSone. If it's higher yet again this gen, that might make the common consumer acceptable price point almost $249.

The bottom line however is that the PS3 won't be targeted at the common consumer until 2008 or 2009. Still though, this is an awful risk for Sony. But, as DCharlie said a long time ago, they can ALWAYS lower the price, whereas they can never raise it.
The only people who are going to pick up a PS3 are people who are seriously desperate to get their hands on it. If sony arent trying to target the common consumer then they're being very stupid because they are the people who are going to guarantee that Sony keeps its huge chunk of marketshare. By giving PS3 a ridiculous price, they're basically handing over MS and Nintendo marketshare. Its more than an awful risk, its a guaranteed way to give your competitors the much needed boost that they've been looking for.

The only way Sony were ever going to lose marketshare was by their own doing, wether that was not securing AAA exclusives or by other means. they've managed to shoot themselves in the foot by putting such a big price tag.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
AranhaHunter said:
Face it. We all just got punk'd

The games are probably gonna cost 80 bucks a pop
Seriously was there any mention about the price of games? If the system is going to cost $600, then there is a big chance games are going to cost a fuckload too.

Kolgar

psycho_snake said:
The only people who are going to pick up a PS3 are people who are seriously desperate to get their hands on it. If sony arent trying to target the common consumer then they're being very stupid because they are the people who are going to guarantee that Sony keeps its huge chunk of marketshare.

Exactly! Sony acts as if it's operating in a vacuum. Were that true, and only Sony consoles existed, they could get away with this. But it's not. Consumers have options, and this crazy pricing will send previously loyal PlayStation fans flocking to MS and Nintendo.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Drek said:
Like I said, buy a Wii. Nintendo isn't about convergence.

Then in two years you'll also probably be able to afford a PS3, just imagine how great a back catalog you'll have to pick from, and the graphical jump will make you think its a new generation! :lol

It's not a matter of affording it, I can afford it right now, it's a matter of whether or not it's worth it to spend a 500 to 600 dollar entry fee for a video game system. And really, do you think the system is going to be cut by half in just 2 years? Are you on drugs?

And again, you keep saying "well buy the wii." Well think about that. I seriously doubt I'm in the minority here. Tell me, is it a good business plan for sony to be saying "Well go buy a Wii"? The whole point of these systems is that they want lots of people to buy them. If they wanted people to buy other systems they coulda just called it the N-gage.

I wonder if we're in for a PSP style launch?

We've got 700k units on shelves today!

After day 1: We've got 400k units on shelves today
Takes two weeks to sell out of initial shipment

After day 34: Extra 700k brought in, 300k still on store shelves.

At $500/$600 + 2 $60 games + a movie or two + ~$50 tax = ~730-$830, it's possible that they will not sell out day 1. Doubtful given a limited shipment and we're talking holiday season here vs march for the PSP.

Raven.

Banned
Rocked said:
What happened to Warhawk's graphics by the way? :lol

ss_preview_Warhawk_03.jpg

Even if that is CGI, it was a bit misleading considering what we got:

ss_preview_WH_ScreenShot_29.jpg
The first pic is just a seemingly endless clone-army of ps2-esque quality planes trees and land textures. OOh, impressed by the numbers, even the ps2 can do 1000s of units at a time. The later screens show more sophisticated shaders and volumetric clouds. Less number of units but we all know next-gen consoles can easily offer asset clone armies like no tomorrow.

Ben Sones said:
Joe consumer won't spend $500 on a game system, either, though. That's where Sony made their blunder--it's not that the price is too high, it's that the price is WAY too high.

The only way I could fathom them doing this, is if the ps3 supply has been calculated to deal with the demand at that price-range, and it won't be till sometime mid-next year till their fabs go full throttle, that is I'd imagine their research indicates demand will still outstrip supply during the first half of nextyear given their limited supply. They'll likely shave off $100-200 sometime near the mid-to-late portion of nextyear, when supply is ready. You can see this as a sort of paper launch, ps3 will be outhere this year, it'll be the luxury product(price alone would ensure people view it superior to the 360, with the otherworldly gphx/physics it'll just seal the deal.), not many will be sold. But next year will be the 'REAL' launch when substantial number of units will be sold and the price will be down to earth.

This early launch will help them cement the image of luxury/superiority on the consumers' minds, it'll help them iron out the bugs, and it'll tell publishers/developers that their product is already in storeshelves. For those that can buy it they can enjoy the ps3 prior to the majority of gamers. The other alternative would've been a 2007 launch, and honestly those interested will hopefully be able to buy it in 2007, but now the option of getting it earlier is open for those that want it bad enough to fork over the $$$.

My only recommendation is get a 3x Blu-ray drive, if possible, even with the Hdd it never hurts to have even faster loading times.

Pimpwerx

I wonder how many people bitching today are gonna still be bitching come next year when they're forking over $600 for a PS3? I might change my mind once the shock wears off. But it's just sad that the Sony premium has finally hit the PS brand. And the quality is still the same as anyone else's. I'd feel really dumb if a $600 console broke down in 2 or 3 years. I wonder what the warranty will be like on this. PEACE.

Drek

psycho_snake said:
The only people who are going to pick up a PS3 are people who are seriously desperate to get their hands on it. If sony arent trying to target the common consumer then they're being very stupid because they are the people who are going to guarantee that Sony keeps its huge chunk of marketshare. By giving PS3 a ridiculous price, they're basically handing over MS and Nintendo marketshare. Its more than an awful risk, its a guaranteed way to give your competitors the much needed boost that they've been looking for.

The only way Sony were ever going to lose marketshare was by their own doing, wether that was not securing AAA exclusives or by other means. they've managed to shoot themselves in the foot by putting such a big price tag.
Common consumers don't buy consoles at launch as they aren't serious enough gamers. People on this board will buy it, technofiles who buy $2000 HDTVs every few years will buy it, people with a lot of disposable income, late teens to late 20's, will buy it. Well off families will buy them for their kids. Thats enough of an audiance for Sony to sell a lot of early shipments.

They're only handing marketshare over to MS and Nintendo if they let the competition reach mass market pricing (probably $200-$250) well before them. We'll see if that happens, but even that won't be enough if Sony keeps their stranglehold on the major 3rd party titles.

Does this open up room for MS and Nintendo to make headway? Yes it does, the whole generation just got a lot more interesting. But we'll see how long that lasts, at longest come next E3 someone will make a major power play regarding pricing or 3rd party exclusives/buy outs.

It's not like I was going to buy one at launch anyway (or now, apparently, within the first year), but... if Sony was going to do two SKUs for PS3, why didn't they make one without a Blu-Ray drive? Seems like that would've made for a more significant price gap compared to the 20gb/60gb and lack of HDMI/WiFi components. Set a BD-less system at $399, and keep the BD-rich system at $599.

Is Blu-Ray keeping PS3 costs up? I'm more on the casual side of things now, so excuse my ignorance...

dalyr95

I cannot see the arguement, that the Tard Pack is crippled. It is has a HDD which means all the cache and saves will be the same as the 60GB version. Just you won't be able to store as much downloadable goodies.

As for the Memory Stick, SD slots, who cares, what you can put your saves or photos on there, big deal, use the ethernet connection to upload it to your PSP.

If you can't afford the extra $100, you won't care about shelling out £2000 for a HDTV.

Games will be no way compromised by the two packs.

MS games are, because for the rest of its life span developers will have to develop for a HHDless console, unless you want to prove how retarded you are by buying:

hdd0wb.jpg

without a HDD

Tard Pack means no Blu-Ray movies. No Blu-Ray movies means-- why am I paying $100 more then the Xbox 360?

These two SKUs should be $100 cheaper.

And I have an HDMI-equipped projector, btw. I can afford the PS3. But it's not enough of a value to a semi-casual player who could wait a year or two fo HD movie formats to stabilize.

Konnjuta

HomShaBom said:
nintendowned.
LOL. Yeah I saw the nintendo conference as well. That was an ace presentation. They sure know how to sell their product. I'm sold. All their talk about expanding the demographics and experience of gameplay was really convincing. Man, that table tennis game!!!!!

Ignatz Mouse said:
Tard Pack means no Blu-Ray movies. No Blu-Ray movies means-- why am I paying $100 more then the Xbox 360?

These two SKUs should be $100 cheaper.

And I have an HDMI-equipped projector, btw. I can afford the PS3. But it's not enough of a value to a semi-casual player who could wait a year or two fo HD movie formats to stabilize.

You are mislead by a mile.
Blueray all the way baby.

Every PS3 supports Blueray.

xaosslug

Show of hands, how many of y'all disgruntled posters were even seriously planning on buying a PS3? I know I was, price be damned.

PSP, a handheld, is selling at $250 and freaking sold better at $299 w/bigger mem. card. A handheld.

IMO, Sony revealed the price early so that it could sink in and by launch the power gap/difference between 360/PS3/Wii to the non-gaming web site/message board going folk'll seem even larger. Pretty much, at this price point it gives the impression that 360 is last gen and in league with PS2/Wii.

Also, Sony will continue to support PS2 well into the lifetime of PS3. I think that plays a big role in it's price.

By the time lauch rolls around nobody will give a crap about the price tag. lol I know I won't, and it'll still be anarchy.

carlos

Konnjuta said:
Come again? The tard pack doesn't have a blu-ray drive?

It comes with the drive, but it doesn't include the hdmi outputs for the bluray resolution, basically meaning that you're paying for a BR drive that you cant use for what it was intended...

Parch

This is confusing as hell. Trying to figure this out is a nightmare. What I can get from all of this and what Sony seems to be trying to do is have the PS3 core compete with 360 premium. Am I right? They seem to have the similar features and price. Sorry if this has already been covered, but I don't want to go through 80 pages of mostly complaining to try and figure it out.

Forget the upgrades and addons. What we need is a direct comparison of features for the 360 premium and PS3 core. Off the shelf, out of box. Capabilities, included items, price.

What can the 360 premium do that the PS3 core cannot?
What can the PS3 core do that the 360 premium cannot?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ignatz Mouse said:
That could make a difference for me, if true.

I believe the multi AV out on the system will be capable of this. If Sony comes with a multi AV out to DVI (or even component like the 360) theres no reason why it shouldn't work. With a component connection you've got the issue of ICT becoming a problem if stuidos start using it though.

Ben Sones

Raven. said:
OOh, impressed by the numbers, even the ps2 can do 1000s of units at a time. The later screens show more sophisticated shaders and volumetric clouds.

It also looks like they cut the view distance by more than half. Combat Flight Sim 3 had better volumetric clouds three years ago.

The only way I could fathom them doing this, is if the ps3 supply has been calculated to deal with the demand at that price-range, and it won't be till sometime mid-next year till their fabs go full throttle, that is I'd imagine their research indicates demand will still outstrip supply during the first half of nextyear given their limited supply.

This line of reasoning cracks me up. "They won't be able to sell a lot of units, but it all works out, because they don't have very many!" Sony is saved! That logic comes right out of crazyland, just like Sony's business plan for the PS3.

They'll likely shave off $100-200 sometime near the mid-to-late portion of nextyear, when supply is ready.

And then they'll give everyone lolipops and ice cream cones!

The PS2 had a $100 price drop after two years. Anyone who thinks they are going to do twice that in half the time with the PS3 is living on Planet Brainwashed. And even if they do, it's still going to be an expensive console. This is what I'm trying to tell you: forget about the fanboi retards who are going to buy it at launch no matter how much it costs: the consumers that really matter are the ones that will buy it en masse, when it reaches a price point that normal people are willing to pay for a game console. And the PS3 has too far to go to get to that price point. This console is not going to start selling to the masses for years. Do you think that, in the meantime, the masses are just going to sit around and twiddle their thumbs, waiting?

You can see this as a sort of paper launch, ps3 will be outhere this year, it'll be the luxury product(price alone would ensure people view it superior to the 360, with the otherworldly gphx/physics it'll just seal the deal.), not many will be sold.

I must have missed the otherwordly graphics. When did they show those? What I saw was a system that looked like it's about on par with the 360, with one or two games that look a bit better, but definitely not "OMG WHERE DO I GET ONE?" better.

But next year will be the 'REAL' launch when substantial number of units will be sold and the price will be down to earth.
Planet Brainwashed, it is.

Reilly

Assuming the HD add-on is $100+, you'll be paying around the same amount for both if you want the 360 to do what the PS3 does.

I'd be curious to know how many people would want a PS3 for $400 without a Blu-Ray drive.

Reilly said:
Assuming the HD add-on is $100+, you'll be paying around the same amount for both if you want the 360 to do what the PS3 does.

I'd be curious to know how many people would want a PS3 for $400 without a Blu-Ray drive.

Raises hand.

xaosslug said:
Show of hands, how many of y'all disgruntled posters were even seriously planning on buying a PS3? I know I was, price be damned.

PSP, a handheld, is selling at $250 and freaking sold better at $299 w/bigger mem. card. A handheld.

IMO, Sony revealed the price early so that it could sink in and by launch the power gap/difference between 360/PS3/Wii to the non-gaming web site/message board going folk'll seem even larger. Pretty much, at this price point it gives the impression that 360 is last gen and in league with PS2/Wii.

Also, Sony will continue to support PS2 well into the lifetime of PS3. I think that plays a big role in it's price.

By the time lauch rolls around nobody will give a crap about the price tag. lol I know I won't, and it'll still be anarchy.
Are you fucking kidding me? Every developer has stated that the power difference is pretty minimal between 360 and ps3. 360 will seem like last gen? Wow. Just wow

And you know who will care about the price at launch and for a year afterwards? The casual gamers who buy the majority of video game consoles.

vantastic

Ben Sones said:
This is what I'm trying to tell you: forget about the fanboi retards who are going to buy it at launch no matter how much it costs
so everyone that's gonna buy one launch is a fanboi retard? :lol
can i say the same about x360 buyers then? what about hardcore gamers? they don't care about price and buy new systems when they launch don't they?

talk about planet brainwashed :lol

Beowolf

Banned
You are missing the point. Bluray games. More space, bigger level, better textures can be stored. You will still get Bluray GAMING and HD 1080p with the 500 dollar version.

So in reality, the 500 dollar one is more of a gaming system and the 600 dollars is more of the multimedia player. Makes sense to me.

nataku

Spike Spiegel said:
It's not like I was going to buy one at launch anyway (or now, apparently, within the first year), but... if Sony was going to do two SKUs for PS3, why didn't they make one without a Blu-Ray drive? Seems like that would've made for a more significant price gap compared to the 20gb/60gb and lack of HDMI/WiFi components. Set a BD-less system at $399, and keep the BD-rich system at $599.

Is Blu-Ray keeping PS3 costs up? I'm more on the casual side of things now, so excuse my ignorance...

Aren't PS3 games only available on Blu-Ray? I know the drive can read CD/DVD for backwards compatability, but I'm not sure if there are any PS3 games going to be made for media other than Blu-Ray.

Not to mention, games would pretty much never be made for Blu-Ray if they took it out for the cheaper model... It'd suck pretty hard if you could only play half the PS3 library on your cheaper system. Sony would get far, far more hate for that then they are getting now...

nataku said:
Aren't PS3 games only available on Blu-Ray? I know the drive can read CD/DVD for backwards compatability, but I'm not sure if there are any PS3 games going to be made for media other than Blu-Ray.
That's pretty f*cking stupid. Developers aren't going to be taking advantage of that extra space any time soon, when they do it'll be to eliminate disc swapping, and every multi-platform game is going to scale down for Wii's and 360's DVD standard formats, so all that means is that PS3 BD game discs are going to have a lot of empty, wasted space.

antipode

The funny thing is, after this price announcement I think both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are going to be in a bit of trouble. If even the gaming-subsidized PS3 is $600 w/ HDMI it doesn't bode well for Blu-Ray players clocking in much cheaper, so I don't think Blu-Ray will be competitive from a price standpoint. But also the first HD-DVD player is out and the impressions are not so hot. The load times and responsiveness in particular are noted as atrocious, and the content providers didn't go much beyond DVD. That sort of raises questions if Blu-Ray is going to have the same problems. If the picture is nice but the experience is uninspiring people might just stick with DVD and on-demand and next-gen disc formats in general will be seen as expensive boondoogles.

Spike Spiegel said:
That's pretty f*cking stupid. Developers aren't going to be taking advantage of that extra space any time soon, when they do it'll be to eliminate disc swapping, and every multi-platform game is going to scale down for Wii's and 360's DVD standard formats, so all that means is that PS3 BD game discs are going to have a lot of empty, wasted space.

It's to help curb piracy as well.

M3Freak

Banned
Beowolf said:
So in reality, the 500 dollar one is more of a gaming system and the 600 dollars is more of the multimedia player. Makes sense to me.

That's how I'm looking at it, too. I realized this morning that each one caters to a slightly different demographic.

So, now I have to figure out if I want a pure games console, or if I want a "media centre" device. Our DVD player in the home theatre is really old and has problems playing some movies. My wife and I want something that will let us view our baby daughter's pcitures on the t.v. I'm thinking the 60GB version is the answer for both. Just not sure if I'll be able to pick one on launch day...

Azrael

Why did Sony announce the PS3's price so many months in advance? Did they do the same for the PS2?

If the price had been lower I think they would have waited until early fall to announce it. But at $499-$599, it would have been a (bigger) mess if retailers had already begun taking preorders before the price was announced, and the flood of cancellations that would have followed.

Ponn01 said:
You really want one huh?

*comforts and hugs*

Yes, I did. :'(

No one is denying that, for what you're getting, it's a great deal. I mean, Blu-Ray players alone would cost more than that, and in addition, you're getting a multimedia hub and a great gaming console.

What some people fail to grasp is that not everyone wanted to buy a PS3 for all that shit. Have you looked at the price of Blu-Ray DVDs? Is it only those who own an HDTV that were planning to buy it? Like another poster said, there are those of us who wanted a PS3 as a multimedia center and there are thtose of us who wanted it as a gaming console and nothing more because we don't have the need for all that extraneous bullshit.

To those who fall into the former category, congratulations, you're getting a bargain. To those of us who fall into thte latter, we are officially bonefucked. Sony better start targeting this to the general Blu-Ray / Home multimedia center enthusiast because the average gamer isn't going to be shelling out $500 for this shit. Look at all the animosity that is occurring from Sony's own hardcore gamer fanbase. If you honestly think that Joe Average will be able to justify this price, even when those that are most informed on the topic and most likely to spend the most on games won't, then you're kidding yourself.

Raven.

Banned
SupaFlySoccerMom said:
Are you fucking kidding me? Every developer has stated that the power difference is pretty minimal between 360 and ps3. 360 will seem like last gen? Wow. Just wow

And you know who will care about the price at launch and for a year afterwards? The casual gamers who buy the majority of video game consoles.
As time passes consumers are willing to pay more. The ps2 sold like crazy at prices above those considered mainstream prices at the time, sony was able to delay price cuts without much issue. Now with ps3 it's clear the critical mass prices are likely higher(heck if they weren't the premium 360 would've tanked like a rock.), though not $600, I'm sure once they're at $300-400 they'll be able to sell tons. Even so, even at $600 it will likely sell millions worldwide, prior to the first price cuts.

PS BTW, with regards to gphx, fanboys keep the impressiveness-denial mode on while still doubting its realtime:lol

Ponn

Banned
pinkatrophe said:
Yes, I did. :'(

No one is denying that, for what you're getting, it's a great deal. I mean, Blu-Ray players alone would cost more than that, and in addition, you're getting a multimedia hub and a great gaming console.

What some people fail to grasp is that not everyone wanted to buy a PS3 for all that shit. Have you looked at the price of Blu-Ray DVDs? Is it only those who own an HDTV that were planning to buy it? Like another poster said, there are those of us who wanted a PS3 as a multimedia center and there are thtose of us who wanted it as a gaming console and nothing more because we don't have the need for all that extraneous bullshit.

To those who fall into the former category, congratulations, you're getting a bargain. To those of us who fall into thte latter, we are officially bonefucked. Sony better start targeting this to the general Blu-Ray / Home multimedia center enthusiast because the average gamer isn't going to be shelling out $500 for this shit. Look at all the animosity that is occurring from Sony's own hardcore gamer fanbase. If you honestly think that Joe Average will be able to justify this price, even when those that are most informed on the topic and most likely to spend the most on games won't, then you're kidding yourself.

See, this is how it very more then likely will go.

Hardcore, technophile, videophiles will jump all over launch, AS USUAL. I don't think anyone here is denying that. Sony doesn't take as much as a hit and they are still going to sell out. In the meantime costs on making the thing will go down and by the time sales are slowing down on the PS3 you are getting into Spring and either A) Sony will drop the price on their own or B) sales will drop hard so they will be forced to. Either way those that balked at the original price will get their more reasonable price drop and be happy. And even though you don't think you want all that stuff now you will have it if you do decide to want it. And Blu-ray will still be used for games. This is the thing the bitchers and doom sayers are really ignoring, IT WILL NOT STAY THAT PRICE FOREVER. And yet you will still get all the goodies. Will we still be about $100 more then last gen in price dropping, sure, but so is MS. If they don't announce a price drop this week then they may not till this holiday. Then again at PS3 price they might not period so even the competition is priced over last gen. That's something gamers will just have to suck up and live with overall. But if you truly don't care about multimedia and BRD which I hear a quite a few of you saying then you are clearly looking at the 499 model.

This minimal performance differences crap needs to go, the internal memory bandwidth for just the CELL itself on PS3 tops at about 200 GB/s(197GB/s Proven) vs Xbox360's internal CPU bandwidth of only 21.6 GB/s. That's just one observation of many. You are going to see far better graphics on PS3 than Xbox360, people need to stop thinking otherwise. Last gen PS2 caught up by using the pure Gflops performance of the EE, since it was "easily" double the performance of the other console's CPU's. But this gen what does anyone have? Pretty much nothing unless you count the Xbox360's framebuffer, but I'm not even sure that is going to help it against the PS3's overall performance.

Ponn01 said:
See, this is how it very more then likely will go.

Hardcore, technophile, videophiles will jump all over launch, AS USUAL. I don't think anyone here is denying that. Sony doesn't take as much as a hit and they are still going to sell out. In the meantime costs on making the thing will go down and by the time sales are slowing down on the PS3 you are getting into Spring and either A) Sony will drop the price on their own or B) sales will drop hard so they will be forced to. Either way those that balked at the original price will get their more reasonable price drop and be happy. And even though you don't think you want all that stuff now you will have it if you do decide to want it. And Blu-ray will still be used for games. This is the thing the bitchers and doom sayers are really ignoring, IT WILL NOT STAY THAT PRICE FOREVER. And yet you will still get all the goodies. Will we still be about $100 more then last gen in price dropping, sure, but so is MS. If they don't announce a price drop this week then they may not till this holiday. Then again at PS3 price they might not period so even the competition is priced over last gen. That's something gamers will just have to suck up and live with overall.

I completely agree. The question is how long until a price drop? And how much of a price drop will it be?

But if you truly don't care about multimedia and BRD which I hear a quite a few of you saying then you are clearly looking at the 499 model.

No, I'm not looking at either model at this point cos $499 is still too much for a gaming console. Maybe when it drops to $400 I'll buy it, but for right now, $499 isn't even an option. There aren't enough games on the ps3 and there are so many more important things I could spend that money on to warrant me paying that much.

Ponn

Banned
pinkatrophe said:
I completely agree. The question is how long until a price drop? And how much of a price drop will it be?

Am agree 100% too. Everything is hinging on how fast they can price drop.

Though honestly I don't care at this point. I've come to realize through last gen and since 360 launch and this E3 i'm just not a Western gamer. I'm an eastern gamer. And with the FF blowout and strong Playstation brand in Japan it doesn't matter if MS "takes" the U.S. or not (which they have a really good chance at it now) my gaming tastes are still going to lay with the Playstation. I'm not excited about Halo 3, Alan Wake, Mass Effect or Too Human. Gears of War is interesting and i'm not saying I won't play those games but i'm not nearly as excited as I am for stuff like FFXIII or mildly interested in Heavenly Sword. I'm just so so tired of FPS's.

Me and my friend saw the "Naughty Dog" studios guy come and he was showing Resistance and were like yea, wow, neat looks like any other shooter. I would have taken another Crash or something. For western gamers though 360 is shaping up to be the place to go and having GTA IV same day as PS3 and EA games looking the same with all the sports titles they are pretty posed to take U.S. if not a huge chunk of the marketshare.

No, I'm not looking at either model at this point cos $499 is still too much for a gaming console. Maybe when it drops to $400 I'll buy it, but for right now, $499 isn't even an option. There aren't enough games on the ps3 and there are so many more important things I could spend that money on to warrant me paying that much.

I really meant keeping an eye on it if price drops. Say if the first price drop is a hundred bucks then that would drop to $399. Which puts its on equal footing with the 360 premium pack except with BRD.

Top Bottom