• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is stopping publishers from supporting game pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAVA Mk2

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

It sucks that gampass isnt getting some of the 3rd party titles out there but business is business. The 3rd party devs that agree to these deals are

A) doing so voluntarily and
B) because they believe this will make them more money than not otherwise they wouldn't do it.

You all believe Sony is walking around holding a gun to these devs heads?

Now if they were withholding services that otherwise would of been available market deal or not then that would be an issue and a form of ultimatum.

Last edited:
Exactly this.

How is "within their exclusivity deals PlayStation requires exclusivity" even a story?

If an exclusive was on GamePass it wouldn't be exclusive.

I thought the Capcom leaked document showed that they couldnt put resident evil village on gamepass for years after it had been out, something like 7 years. I cant remember the exact game.

Ronin_7

The sky is blue today 🤣

Microsoft probably also makes deals that prevent games to appear on PlayStation Plus for a certain time.

I'm pretty sure Games Industry has always been like this, heck Microsoft started the DLC exclusivity War Back on Xbox 360.

I thought the Capcom leaked document showed that they couldnt put resident evil village on gamepass for years after it had been out, something like 7 years. I cant remember the exact game.
No offense, but why would you say something like this then provide absolutely no backing to your claim. At best it misleads people, unless thats what you wanted to do then carry on

On another note i though DenchDeckard DenchDeckard fucked a goat one time years ago but i cant remember the time even vaguely or if its remotely true.

wolffy71

It's not necessarily about being good or bad. It's MS saying that while Sony is saying the Activision deal is anti-consumer, Sony is in fact negotiating anti-consumer deals with multiple developers and has been for years.

We won't know the scope of those deals until the contracts are turned over but obviously the court agrees that they are of importance.

Neofire

Glad they are, these greedy ass developers want a quick bag while dragging the rest of the industry down. MS themselves says GP cannibalizes sales.

Last edited:

MikeM

Imagine paying for exclusivity then being fine with the product you helped pay for be on GamePass day 1 upon release on other platforms…

Flutta

My tears. Exclusive to gamepass. Forever.
Poor little Microsoft. We need to protect our little trillon dollar company from big bad Sony. Assemble my beloved green rats, Microsoft needs our help.

No offense, but why would you say something like this then provide absolutely no backing to your claim. At best it misleads people, unless thats what you wanted to do then carry on

On another note i though DenchDeckard DenchDeckard fucked a goat one time years ago but i cant remember the time even vaguely or if its remotely true.

hahaha, apologies.

A quick google search finds that it was only blocked for one year and has to be discussed with Sony first before anything to do with MS.
KSbm6TC.png

You...realize that that is the least Sony should expect, if they ink any kind of exclusivity with a developer/publisher? How was this even a rumor, and how could it have been any different? 😂

But they are doing it with standard third party games too, as the resident evil Village contract confirms above.

Whatever, maybe it’s because Sony are actively helping with the development of those games as part of the agreement? Nobody other than Sony and those third parties know what’s in those contracts for now.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This whole thread is stupid, pretty sure this claim was made months ago, but anyway.

1. It is MS accusing Sony of putting clauses in to certain contracts to stop games coming to GP, not a fact (but maybe likely I would do the same)
2. Even if the above is true, publishers are not 'stopped' from putting anything on GP, they can simply choose not sign the contract with Sony

Why on earth any publisher would want to sell their games at full price, get development help, get marketing help, target a single piece of hardware that has a larger market share, is beyond me :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Brock2621

Dunno how this is any different than negotiating exclusivity. Of course they have meeting and negotiations about this stuff.

Sony: “We will offer you X dollars if you sign exclusivity to PS5 for 1 year, after which you can create a PC port, but remain off Gamepass in perpetuity. What do ya say?”

Publisher/Game Dev: “How about you fund full development, plus 75% of marketing budget but we want the option to do Gamepass contract after 6 months.”

Sony: “Ok will we find development PLUS 100% marketing of the game, but we refuse to help develop games that go on rival platforms. X amount of money would be equal to 1.5 million copies sold for you and guarantees you are in the black right off the bat. Everything else sold is pure profit. What do you say?”

Publisher/Dev: “Deal.”

Last edited:

Saber

It says "Microsoft argues", which means is an alegation.

Wheres the mod to prevent this type of clickbait threads?

StueyDuck

I do love each corp calling out each other because they are inadvertently fucking themselves over. It's beautiful...

MS: "They stopping games coming to game pass"

FTC: "hmmm we'll look into that. "

Sony: "oh yeah well what about that over there at MS"

FTC: "oh you are right that is the same thing"

And on and on until it all blows up. I can't wait. Less consolidation the better

DarthPutin

But they are doing it with standard third party games too, as the resident evil Village contract confirms above.
Because they have expensive advertisement deal with them. They had big campaign for RE VIII. Sony would be putting a decent amount of money in pushing this game, only for it to show up at competition's at "no additional cost".

It makes sense, same for MS deals I assume.

The sky is blue today 🤣

Microsoft probably also makes deals that prevent games to appear on PlayStation Plus for a certain time.

I'm pretty sure Games Industry has always been like this, heck Microsoft started the DLC exclusivity War Back on Xbox 360.
Where's the source? People keep saying this without backing up their evidence.

If this were true it would've been mentioned multiple times during Acquisitions, like we're having now with Activision Blizzard.

Microsoft Zenimax games has been on PS subscription services after the acquisition. Minecraft Dungeons is the latest one.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

But Sony GAF said this doesn't matter because they all do it. 😂

As I've said before there's a difference between what's acceptable for someone with 10% - 20% marketshare vs someone with 80+% marketshare. Sony already has a monopoly so it's anti-competitive for them to blatantly keep games off other platforms.

This should be common sense but here we are.

Because they have expensive advertisement deal with them. They had big campaign for RE VIII. Sony would be putting a decent amount of money in pushing this game, only for it to show up at competition's at "no additional cost".

It makes sense, same for MS deals I assume.

So now its not just sonys timed exclusivity deals, its now ok for any game that has a marketing deal...how do we know it's not part of some of their contractual agreements to even launch on PS5 for some publishers?

That's why it will be good to get those documents in court and lawyers/people can actually see what is going on behind the scenes. It looks like a judge has demanded it so we will all get to see.

Mr.Phoenix

Imagine waisting money to block games from coming to Gamepass.
You shoud take a stepbakand think boutthis a litle bit.

MS sign deas for GP to grow their platform. Sony does the same to grow its own.

What good would exclusivity, marketing or whatever kinda deal with sony be for a multiplatform game if that didn't require they didn't put that game on GP? So you expect a company to spend on and support a product only to have that product benefit their rival?

And Im sorry, but you realize how stupid what you said actually is? If sony making exclusive deals for one year or whatever is them wasting money to block said game from being on the other platform... what would you call what MS is doing by buying up publishers and keeping their games off the other platform period. Serious question, I would like to know what you call that.

BeardGawd

You shoud take a stepbakand think boutthis a litle bit.

MS sign deas for GP to grow their platform. Sony does the same to grow its own.

What good would exclusivity, marketing or whatever kinda deal with sony be for a multiplatform game if that didn't require they didn't put that game on GP? So you expect a company to spend on and support a product only to have that product benefit their rival?

And Im sorry, but you realize how stupid what you said actually is? If sony making exclusive deals for one year or whatever is them wasting money to block said game from being on the other platform... what would you call what MS is doing by buying up publishers and keeping their games off the other platform period. Serious question, I would like to know what you call that.
There's a difference between what's acceptable for someone with 10% - 20% marketshare vs someone with 80+% marketshare. Sony already has a monopoly so it's anti-competitive for them to blatantly keep games off other platforms.

Common sense.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
There's a difference between what's acceptable for someone with 10% - 20% marketshare vs someone with 80+% marketshare. Sony already has a monopoly so it's anti-competitive for them to blatantly keep games off other platforms.

Common sense.
This is all nonsense. Ms could outbid them in all these deals. Why don't they? You thinking Sony has a monopoly is also nonsense.

ANDS

Thought gaf was racist. Now knows better, honorary gaffer 2022
So the bombshell (in OPs mind) is that the exclusivity deals SONY negotiates also includes these titles not showing up on subscription services.

Utter. Shock.

Mr.Phoenix

So now its not just sonys timed exclusivity deals, its now ok for any game that has a marketing deal...how do we know it's not part of some of their contractual agreements to even launch on PS5 for some publishers?

That's why it will be good to get those documents in court and lawyers/people can actually see what is going on behind the scenes. It looks like a judge has demanded it so we will all get to see.
Come on now... lets not get carried away here. If sony is making a deal, money or benefits exchanging hands, then terms can and will be set. If the publisher agrees to said terms, then it's all good.

Sony CANNOT tell publishers that they can't even release their game on the PS5 if that game is also on gamepass. If they could, games like Atomic heart on PS5 wouldn't exist.

The most they could do is ask for parity. Basically say, if your game is on GP then it has to be on PS+ too. But being their PS+ model is not the same as GP, they can't even do that either.

BeardGawd

This is all nonsense. Ms could outbid them in all these deals. Why don't they? You thinking Sony has a monopoly is also nonsense.
Bullshit. Sony has the leverage due to marketshare. MS gets exclusives with games Sony doesn't really care about. No major 3rd party is going to risk alienating the largest audience to be exclusive with MS unless they have no other choice.

Come on now... lets not get carried away here. If sony is making a deal, money or benefits exchanging hands, then terms can and will be set. If the publisher agrees to said terms, then it's all good.

Sony CANNOT tell publishers that they can't even release their game on the PS5 if that game is also on gamepass. If they could, games like Atomic heart on PS5 wouldn't exist.

The most they could do is ask for parity. Basically say, if your game is on GP then it has to be on PS+ too. But being their PS+ model is not the same as GP, they can't even do that either.

So, as we know the market leader is using their lead to further cement their dominance, which I completely understand...as any business would do it. We can't just think that SOny isn't putting terms into contracts with publishers, becuase we have legit seen it.

If someone said that Resi 8 had a contract to stop it from coming to gamepass and also HAS to be discussed with Sony before it can go on any other streaming service, it would be ridiculed and laughed off the board, but we actually know that is a fact now.

yazenov

Bad guys Sony aren't content with dominating the industry, they must also destroy the competition.

But no tears will be shed for the trillion-dollar company being dominated by a smaller company.

Mr.Phoenix

Common sense.
You are joking right?

So basically you are saying the rules are different depending on how good/bad you are at your job?

MS got into this console industry in 2001. That was 2 years ago. In that time, we have had the Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Switch shows that sony is not this insurmountable juggernaut that cant be competed with.

Microsoft is in the position they are in today because of their incompetence. Nothing more, nothing less.

And if you fin yourself having to exaggerate or demonize something to make your point while misconstruing the facts... then you should know its time to chill.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Bullshit. Sony has the leverage due to marketshare. MS gets exclusives with games Sony doesn't really care about. No major 3rd party is going to risk alienating the largest audience to be exclusive with MS unless they have no other choice.
They would for the right money. Think a little bit here. Remember when Ms paid all those millions for rise of the tomb raider to be a one year exclusive? The Ms strategy this gen is simply to buy developers and publishers. Why pay for the steak when you can have the whole cow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom