• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sequel watch - were they better than the OGs?

My sequel opinions are:

• Total voters
It came across like you'd played it that's all. It's a shame that you allow your perception to be shaped by random people to the point whereby you're willing to have a strong opinion on the game despite having the means to try it for yourself.

This is very different in terms of how you talk about other people's perceptions on games they haven't or can't play, particularly if said perceptions are negative about games that you personally like. Wish I was surprised.

I platinumed the first game. To hear many say it was boring and the story is very weak etc. Also, people I trust on various podcasts literally made the game a joke when discussing game of the year. Fire escape cast comes to mind, plus many more opinions from people were extremely luke warm on it....

...the overall vibe and comments are..."it's fiiiiiiine...."

I'll shape my own deeper opinion once I platinum ragnarok.

What did you think of it?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Forbidden West, I haven’t played a lot of yet but it feels more like Uncharted so far than Horizon, so I gotta go with the OG, but maybe it gets better.

Ragnarok was fantastic, GoW 2018 barely had any storyline and I thought was poorly done overall, also the series needs more blood and gore and tits.

TLOU, 2 doesn’t exist, what a silly statement to make.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I HATED first Horizon so I skip the sequel entirely.

Both GOWR and TLOU2 had better gameplay but pacing made them such a chore to play which makes them type of game I play once and never touch it again and story in my opinion much worse compare to their pervious games.

HZD >>>>> HFW:
This is the easiest one for me. HZD was my favorite game of last gen. HFW is just worse in I feel every aspect. Going to give another try shortly, but I couldn't even finish FW (little past half way through). It isn't an awful game, but it just doesn't pull me in like ZD did.

GoW 2018 = GoW Ragnarok:
Both have strength and weakness, I don't feel like one of these is significantly better or worse than the other. I think 2018 had better pacing/story. But Ragnarok just ups the gameplay and side missions. I do think both of these games perfectly find the balance of linear and open world, which I do hope more games can achieve in the future.

TLoU 1 > TLoU 2:
I think it's close but man, nothing really can top the story and emotions of part 1. Part 2 is great, the gameplay is much improved and the animations are God tier but I feel the story dragged on just a tiny bit too long. I loved Abby and most of the new characters, but by the end I just wanted the game to stop. The last 3 to 4 hours or so I feel didn't need to be that long.
Also bonus points for part 1 for having one of the most underrated online modes in gaming in fractions.

acidagfc

Story wise all 3 originals were leages better than their sequels.
Graphics and gameplay wise sequels are obviously ahead.

Still voted for the originals, I played them for the stories.

Last edited:

phant0m

HZD >>>>> HFW:
This is the easiest one for me. HZD was my favorite game of last gen. HFW is just worse in I feel every aspect. Going to give another try shortly, but I couldn't even finish FW (little past half way through). It isn't an awful game, but it just doesn't pull me in like ZD did.
i have the same problem. I bounced pretty hard off HFW after ~10 hrs, and I LOVED the first game. The funny thing is there's a lot of improvements in HFW -- huge visual upgrades, more options in combat, but i just couldn't get into it. I think it was just a combination of open-world burnout and the way they gate off mechanics. I should still try it again some time though

Top Bottom