• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Unleash World's 1st QD-OLED with 4K 120Hz Dolby Vision TVs

How many HDMI ports do you realistically need in a TV mate ?
I want 4 HDMI 2.1s
I love how that Team Andromeda Team Andromeda is doubling down on his ridiculousness. I guess it's good for a good laugh. 😂
He got me trolling, I fell for it

I was honestly trying to help him out as I thought he was in the wrong thread, he tricked me

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A95l makes me drool (yes ducks do drool), that bright panel with perfect blacks, great speed, and sony processing, a match made in heaven. The only real downside will.be price and inputs.

Last edited:

mitchman

How many HDMI ports do you realistically need in a TV mate ?
One of those ports are for eARC, so if you have a receiver or other device connected to that one, you only have a single HDMI 2.1 port available. You need realistically 3 available ports. One for PC, XSX and PS5 each, plus the one for eARC. My LG OLED B9, a several years old TV, has 4x HDMI 2.1 full bandwidth ports. It's 2023, you would expect Sony to get rid of the mediatek garbage level chip and have their own SoC by now.

hemo memo

“How much this cost?”
“One Kidney Sir. Sorry I mean Mom. Sorry I mean you. Not you you but them. You know what, we are closed. Sorry”

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
I stopped caring about tech a few years ago, when I bought my 65" 4k OLED.

Anyone care to explain to me, in kids terms, why these tv's are better? Cheers.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Since it’s inception. It’s absolutely awful. It’s so slow. The webos on Lg runs circles around it.
It’s laggy, to enable the sleep timer you literally have to close out what your watching if I recall correctly. And no my tv wasn’t some cheap it was the best Sony you could get at the time

What? I have a C1 with webos and a Sony A80K and it definitely doesn't run circles over android, they are both very similar. I also have a Sony X85J and it's fine too.

dotnotbot

Yup, I only had A80J for a week but Android seemed to be nice and responsive. I remember main complaint in the past was poor performance but newest SOCs handle it much better.

I stopped caring about tech a few years ago, when I bought my 65" 4k OLED.

Anyone care to explain to me, in kids terms, why these tv's are better? Cheers.

- A95L should offer much higher brightness than any OLED released so far (though the newest LG's panels might be even brighter, also coming this year)
- QD-OLED panels offer better saturation though in reality the difference is usually only noticeable in the brightest highlights like some bright fire, colorful lights etc.
- QD-OLED is RGB, LG's panels are WRGB. White subpixel on LG's panels tends to overshoot a lot when going from off to on state which creates noticeable artifacts (can be often mistaken for color banding) in very dark scenes during some specific color transitions. It used to be a lot more noticeable on pre 2020 models, newer models use some software "tricks" to hide it as much as possible but the issue still can't be fully eradicated.
- overshoot issue listed above is also the reason why flickering on LG panels can be a bit more noticeable in dark areas in games with VRR engaged compared to QD-OLED

Sorry the last 2 aren't really explained in kids terms but it's hard to explain those things without showing some examples IRL. Oh, and last but not least QD-OLED panels so far have much better reputation when it comes to uniformity, especially color tinting seems to be virtually non existent, vertical banding can still be a thing more or less noticeable depending on a unit.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Lot of people (especially technophiles that buy these high end TV's and follow specs) have all the current gen consoles, a gaming PC, and usually the best streaming box as well.

Yeah, I can see that. I game mostly on a monitor so 2 HDMI for my 2 active consoles are sufficient for my personal needs, with the consoles paired with headphones.

Since it’s inception. It’s absolutely awful. It’s so slow. The webos on Lg runs circles around it.
It’s laggy, to enable the sleep timer you literally have to close out what your watching if I recall correctly. And no my tv wasn’t some cheap it was the best Sony you could get at the time

What ? No man, maybe the First years of android TV yes, nowadays though it's preeeetty good and responsive.
Also, WebOS is the biggest pile of shit I've ever encountered on a TV - and I have a LG C2...
In fact, the mediocre Philips 8887 (2022 model) that I had for 2 weeks back in November and had android, ran circles around WebOS 6.

cringeworthy youtubers always have to make those stupid faces just to get a few precious extra clicks. youd think someone in that predicament would get a real job.
Why the hate?

I know is dumb AF but YouTube is the one responsible for this as they are the ones training the algorithm that gives more clicks if the thumbnail is some retarded face + some highlighted text.

StereoVsn

Yeah, I can see that. I game mostly on a monitor so 2 HDMI for my 2 active consoles are sufficient for my personal needs, with the consoles paired with headphones.
Like someone mentioned above, one port goes to receiver thanks to eArc, so you need 3 more for 4 total (PC, XSX, PS5).

dotnotbot

I just want to know one thing. Is the image in motion remotely similar to what we get in a good CRT TV?

With low framerate content (ie movies) - no. I'm hoping additional power of Pentonic 1000 will bring some noticeable improvement in motion interpolation but considering that Sony didn't even mention it we shouldn't expect anything revolutionary.

Last edited:

RCU005

Is LG considered better than Sony when it comes to gaming?

I have a Sony OLED from 2018 but unfortunately it's 60hz

I believe Sony has LG panels in their OLED TVs, so I guess it all comes down to the features each one has?

I personally love Sony TVs and this year they have amazing TV models.

Lone Wolf

I believe Sony has LG panels in their OLED TVs, so I guess it all comes down to the features each one has?

I personally love Sony TVs and this year they have amazing TV models.
Sony now uses Samsung panels in the QD-OLED tvs. LG uses different OLED technology.

Last edited:

emilegc

There is no alternative. LG and Samsung design their own chipsets but they also sell so much more TVs compared to other brands. All other brands like Philips, TCL, Hisense, Panasonic etc. rely on Mediatek. What Sony does better than all of these brands is they add their own custom co-processor on top of the off-the-shelf Mediatek chipset. Thanks to that custom co-processor their 2021 and 2022 models were the only TVs using Mediatek that didn't suffer from poor 10-bit gradation and didn't need turning off optional processing features to achieve full 4k@120. Also they are the only brand except LG offering dedicated color debanding filter (it's called Smooth Gradation).
Yeah, I know all that. But at this point it's not acceptable. Do LG and/or Samsung sell their chipsets?

Top Bottom