• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Planning To Release Multiple Blockchain Games Next Fiscal Year

TheCed

I'm just glad we are getting FFXVI before they go under. Hopefully they can finish the FF7 Remake project too.

"Nowhere but up now, right Square?"
"Hold my beer"

falafel-gifalafel-hazfalafel-icanhasfalafel-reaction-gif-reaction-%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%9C%D7%A7%D7%91%D7%9C%D7%99%D7%9B%D7%95%D7%9C%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%9C.gif
They're doing wery well stockwise.

They did release a few mediocre games (Even if I loved some of the,) but their good games are still keeping them in the green.

In short, they made money but they wanted to make more money.

Kacho

Let's not disrespect an industry Legend...
Yes they have made mistakes but SquareEnix is

Chrono Trigger
Nier Automata series
ALL Final Fantasy (the good ones, Online, Tactics, etc.)
The Kingdom Hearts Saga
Dragon Quest Franchise
The World Ends with You Franchise
Legend/Secret/Trials of Mana
Modern Tomb Raider
Live A Live
Bravely Default Franchise
Octopath Traveller Franchise (new IP)

They have more than enough credit and contributions to this industry.
It’s not the late 90s anymore. I love square’s games but let’s not pretend like they aren’t niche games for a niche audience in todays market.

Gambit2483

It’s not the late 90s anymore. I love square’s games but let’s not pretend like they aren’t niche games for a niche audience in todays market.

More than half of series/franchise I listed has been extremely relevant past 2010...not sure what you are getting at...

Good luck.

In other unrelated matters, I wonder if Sony might be interested in acquiring a company known for making best selling JRPGs for Sony? Particularly if said developer tanks their stock price after committing multiple poorly thought out schemes.
This is where I'm thinking - Spirits Within all over again. I'd rather them stay independent, but guess that's where everything is heading sadly.

Think FFXVI is the last chance to save them, unless ff vii part 2 is on PC day one as well.

I dunno, maybe they should just stick with ff xiv and do smaller lower cost games on switch ps4/ps5 and PC and try and build back up. They look to have lost their way.

Sony should probably buy them tbh but keep games coming to switch. Maybe do it like a bungie deal.

Gambit2483

I stated very clearly what I’m getting at in my last post.

And at least half of every series/franchise I listed has been (more than) Relevant past 2010

Square Enix deserves respect despite their past mistakes.

Last edited:

Kacho

And at least half of every series/franchise I listed has been (more than) Relevant past 2010. Square Enix deserves our respect despite their past mistakes.
Relevant with a niche audience, yes. You’re keep saying I’m disrespecting them which is weird. It’s a company that makes great games with very limited appeal. We had a thread on here today talking about a lot of their games underperforming, this is not a healthy company and chasing blockchains isn’t going to help them.

Gambit2483

Relevant with a niche audience, yes. You’re keep saying I’m disrespecting them which is weird. It’s a company that makes great games with very limited appeal. We had a thread on here today talking about a lot of their games underperforming, this is not a healthy company and chasing blockchains isn’t going to help them.

SquareEnix sells millions upon millions every year. They are not niche.

Despite the fact of the "current management" chasing NFTs, this ends (possibly) this June.

Don't disrespect a multi-Decade Established Developer/Publisher based on a few recent weak years.

Last edited:

Kacho

SquareEnix sells millions upon millions every year. They are not niche.

Despite the fact of the "current management" chasing NFTs, this ends (possibly) this June.

Don't disrespect a multi-Decade Established Developer/Publisher based on a few recent weak years.
It is what it is. You can deny reality but Final Fantasy has been a brand in decline for nearly two decades. And most of the other series you listed are the absolute definition of niche. Final Fantasy 16 should do well in the west but then what? I wouldn’t put too much faith in the new CEO given his background.

Last edited:
Top Bottom