• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will reveal a new console RPG that isn’t a remake in December

I played the demo and I thought it was crud.

Seriously, I'm pretty well informed on FFXIII. I don't need to play the game to know it's not Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross. There's a reason why those games are heralded.

And there's a reason why it's called Final Fantasy XIII and not Chrono whateveryouwannacallit.

Begaria

Well, it won't be anything from Ivalice. There is no Ivalice without Matsuno. My dream is dead on that one :(

Still, December sounds like a hell of a month between TGA and PSX. Gonna be a good weekend.

Vagrant Story 2. It's time.

NO. STAHP! MY HEART.

No way that's ever happening. No Matsuno = No Ivalice/FFT/Vagrant Story.

This would be a bad thing? This is a announcement I would go completely crazy over.

I didn't meant it's a bad thing. But it would be different magnitude than a true sequel of their fan fav franchises.

From imo, this game will likely

- Not from Eidos side. Well, it's kinda obvious. This news is from Famitsu.
- Not be a new franchise. If it's for a console, the budget can't be small and making a new franchise with a large budget is too risky.
- Branch of an established franchise. Something that has global appeal. SQE won't put game on console that could only sell in Japan.
- Be out-sourced to smaller studio. Obviously to reduce cost and man-power.

Famassu

That's because you assume the project started after LR. I bet Kitase & Toriyama's own project is cooking up from long before that, probably mid-way XIII-2 development. LR: FFXIII was such a small project that most of the staff was surely busy developing something else. I guess it'll be a 2016 game so announcing now in 2015 (dcember 14) would make a lot of sense.
Eh, I doubt it. They developed both XIII-2 & Lightning Returns back to back with such a tight schedule that I doubt Toriyama had any free time outside of their development to make any big plans for what comes after.

The way Toriyama talked after LR's release, it sounded like he was going to take a bit of a break and only then start to figure his next project in more detail. So even if he had some ideas for the next project, it didn't sound like they were too far along in March 2014. So even if he might be well under way with the next project's planning nowadays, again, if it's even a mid-sized JRPG, then it's very unlikely that something they only started to maybe plan/pre-develop in early-to-mid 2014 would be shown now. They wouldn't have much to show from it and it would quite likely not be released in less than 2-2,5 years from now and that's also why it's somewhat unlikely that Square Enix would show it either.

Besides, it's Hashimoto who was seen in the PS Event video. If it was Toriyama related, you'd think Kitase would be there (or Toriyama himself) and not Hashimoto.

No, it's more likely that this is something some other director & team has been working on full-time since, say, XIV ARR was completed (with pre-development perhaps even before that) and resourced freed for other games.

Hugstable

Banned
The Xbox One reveal, push for DRM, subsequent fallout, and changing of guard wasn't a massive shitstorm? LMAO

Video game crash of 82, Red Rings of Death, and 599$ US Dollars were much bigger shitstorms that the DRM that didn't end up happening or affecting anyone.

Yea, I'm hoping for new IP. When was the last time we got a fancy reveal for a new SE console JRPG?

I'm honestly excited to see what it is, haven't seen a brand new console JRPG IP from SQENIX in awhille. Just hoping they don't go the exclusivity route, but from the sounds of it, I feel it's gonna end up at Microsofts conferance in December.

The Xbox One reveal, push for DRM, subsequent fallout, and changing of guard wasn't a massive shitstorm? LMAO

I thought you were talking about Tomb Raider still, since that was what we were talking about.

But you're comparing pretty much two COMPLETELY different scenarios, so I'm not even sure why you brought that up.

legacyzero

Banned
Well, it won't be anything from Ivalice. There is no Ivalice without Matsuno. My dream is dead on that one :(

Still, December sounds like a hell of a month between TGA and PSX. Gonna be a good weekend.

NO. STAHP! MY HEART.

No way that's ever happening. No Matsuno = No Ivalice/FFT/Vagrant Story.
:(((((

Im with you... Ivalice needs more love dammit!

Video game crash of 82, Red Rings of Death, and 599$ US Dollars were much bigger shitstorms that the DRM that didn't end up happening or affecting anyone.

I'm honestly excited to see what it is, haven't seen a brand new console JRPG IP from SQENIX in awhille. Just hoping they don't go the exclusivity route, but from the sounds of it, I feel it's gonna end up at Microsofts conferance in December.

Microsoft conference? Hashimoto will be at the PSX event, I think this game will most likely be announced there.

KoopaTheCasual

I thought you were talking about Tomb Raider still, since that was what we were talking about.

But you're comparing pretty much two COMPLETELY different scenarios, so I'm not even sure why you brought that up.
Oh of course. The Tomb Raider thing wasn't ANYWHERE near the scale as the DRM thing. I'm just saying, we can't know for sure how big of a kerfuffle these things kick up in actuality. Both those instances caused a fuss on the forums, but one took the casual gaming audience by storm, and the other (the tomb raider reveal) didn't even register. This applies to both yours and ortho's logic.

I'm basically saying, you guys shouldn't be so hard on each other, when no one knows how pissed the current Japanese SE fanbase would be if the hypothetical money-hat went down.

WTF happened here? People started off with decent expectations and it became a confirmation for MS exclusive JRPG?

Yeeeah, I'll just wait for December, people here are getting a little crazy.

Oh of course. The Tomb Raider thing wasn't ANYWHERE near the scale as the DRM thing. I'm just saying, we can't know for sure how big of a kerfuffle these things kick up in actuality. Both those instances caused a fuss on the forums, but one took the casual gaming audience by storm, and the other (the tomb raider reveal) didn't even register. This applies to both yours and ortho's logic.

I'm basically saying, you guys shouldn't be so hard on each other, when no one knows how pissed the current Japanese SE fanbase would be if the hypothetical money-hat went down.
NAWH dawg. You're delusional if you think it'll even remotely matter. It's impossible and only delusional message board posters would even entertain the possibility of this being bad for Squenix. Squenix has a squeaky clean image and people love them!
lawls

Imperial SaGa? (there's a new SaGa game coming)

Next Kitase/Toriyama/Team Raitoningu project? (pls, no Toriyama)

"Secret" Hiroyuki Ito game? (lol)

Next Mana game? (SE wants to make a home console entry)

New IP? (Master of the Masks?)

Another Nomura/Shinji Hashimoto title? (the latter will be at PS Experience)

So many possibilities.

NAWH dawg. You're delusional if you think it'll even matter. Squenix has a squeaky clean image and people love them!
lawls

Yep, that's definitely what I said! Then again, you're living in your own reality where announcing a game in a dead genre is going to cause MAJOR OUTRAGE, so I guess you make stuff up often!!! LMAO

KoopaTheCasual

NAWH dawg. You're delusional if you think it'll even remotely matter. It's impossible and only delusional message board posters would even entertain the possibility of this being bad for Squenix. Squenix has a squeaky clean image and people love them!
lawls
Yep, that's definitely what I said! Then again, you're living in your own reality where announcing a game in a dead genre is going to cause MAJOR OUTRAGE, so I guess you make stuff up often!!! LMAO
Guys, come on. There's zero need to get in each other's faces about this -___-

Didn't Square say this was exactly what they needed to start doing, make more experimental, lower budget games? They were really shook up by how freaking popular Bravely Default was, selling over a million copies, and said they were going to change their strategy based on that.

This works on the 3DS, Vita and mobile but on a platform like the PS4; this is highly unlikely. Those HD assets don't come cheap.

Famassu

Chrono games have a standard that FFXIII games could only dream of reaching.
The gameplay of FFXIII-2 really isn't all that much worse than Chrono Trigger's. Combat is fast-paced, it's fun, it's got Pokemon. The time-travel stuff has some decently fun stuff they do with it. The puzzles are pretty fun, the Sahz DLC game was fun, a lot of the DLC battles were decent. It's a bit easy overall (though you can control the difficulty level a bit, if you want to, by not always upgrading your characters to max levels), but Chrono Trigger is very easy as well. It's the shoddy overall story, a lot of the writing & some dull fetch quests that are the game's biggest problems, though, again, it's not like Chrono Trigger is Shakespeare, its story & writing have a lot of flaws as well. Noel is actually a decent protagonist and Caius a fun villain. And as bad as the story is most of the time, the ending is pretty ballsy (though what it lead to in LR was Toriyama-like silliness).

XIII-2 is a pretty decent console JRPG that can be perfectly enjoyable unless you nitpick it to hell and back, certainly far better than actual trash like Infinite Undiscovery, Time & Eternity and Last Rebellion.

I looked at this for a solid minute, and still have no idea what you're trying to say.
I was trying to say I saw the whole argument as apples and oranges.

Two petty children in this thread.
To be perfectly fair, three.

Imperial SaGa? (there's a new SaGa game coming)

Next Kitase/Toriyama/Team Raitoningu project? (pls, no Toriyama)

"Secret" Hiroyuki Ito game? (lol)

Next Mana game? (SE wants to make a home console entry)

New IP? (Master of the Masks?)

Another Nomura/Shinji Hashimoto title? (the latter will be at PS Experience)

So many possibilities.
I definitely hope Toriyama has nothing to do with the new RPG (at least no more directing from him)

Yup. RPGs are dead by every conceivable metric known to man. Who cares about them! Let the money hatting commence!

Hugstable

Banned
Two petty children in this thread.

yeah it's getting kinda sad, alot of discussions are heading this way too, no topic is safe anymore.

On Topic: I wonder if it's gonna be a new IP or not. I've been dying for another Chrono game someday, I know it will never happen, but god dammit I'll keep on dreaming!!!!

T_T

I played the demo and I thought it was crud.

Seriously, I'm pretty well informed on FFXIII. I don't need to play the game to know it's not Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross. There's a reason why those games are heralded.
The demo of Final Fantasy XIII-2 didn't include any of the time travel at all - none of the changing of timelines to try and find new timelines that would let you create the timeline you really needed. So nothing of what makes it a great Chrono Trigger like game. And the reason the game wasn't "heralded" was because of how the first game in the trilogy was received, and the fact that it was the second game in a trilogy (I bet most people don't even know that FFXIII-2 is all about time travel and alternate timelines), though the game did get ratings averaging 80% or so.

It's my belief that the game started as a true Chrono Trigger sequel, and then it was decided that, since their new strategy was to abate the costs of next-gen RPG development by releasing a few games in each RPG world, they made it into FFXIII-2 by putting in a (mostly) improved version of the FFXIII combat system and setting it in that world.

Kandinsky

Been saying for a while now that DWXI would get announced before the end of the year because it is a 2015 game (screw anniversaries) and I'm glad I was right :D

wmlk

The demo of Final Fantasy XIII-2 didn't include any of the time travel at all - none of the changing of timelines to try and find new timelines that would let you create the timeline you really needed. So nothing of what makes it a great Chrono Trigger like game. And the reason the game wasn't "heralded" was because of how the first game in the trilogy was received, and the fact that it was the second game in a trilogy (I bet most people don't even know that FFXIII-2 is all about time travel and alternate timelines).

It's my belief that the game started as a true Chrono Trigger sequel, and then it was decided that, since their new strategy was to abate the costs of next-gen RPG development by releasing a few games in each RPG world, they made it into FFXIII-2 by putting in a (mostly) improved version of the FFXIII combat system and setting it in that world.

I played the demo and heard monologues of Lightning rambling on about time. It's the bad writing that plagued the FFXIII trilogy. That's why it put me off.

Also, that's a fault in and of itself that it's part of the FFXIII universe. If you have a story that feels completely out of place compared to FFXIII, that's a fault of the game itself. That's something that FFXIII-2 does poorly on.

And sure, maybe you think the game started as a Chrono sequel, but does that really matter? Just because it shares the concept of time travel doesn't mean it's great all of a sudden. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are two games that are in the same franchise. If FFXIII-2 was as good, I would have appreciated that game too. But it's not.

As I said, I'm really well informed on the FFXIII trilogy. I don't need to play the game to understand if it's better or worse. It's fine if you think FFXIII-2 is great, but I think it's nowhere close to the Chrono games, and that's why I felt playing FFXIII-2 wasn't worthwhile.

FYI, I played FFXIII because I thought it was a good game from everything I had heard, and it ended up being good on my opinion. Can't say the same for FFXIII-2. I approached both games the same way.

DJIzana

Please this or tactics 2. Bring back Matsuno

God... I REALLY hope this is the case. That, a new Chrono or a console Mana game. That's all I'd like to see. Heck, even if it's not Tactics 2, I'd STILL prefer a new FF game set in the world of Ivalice. There's so much of that universe we have yet to explore too. That world is HUGE!

Top Bottom