• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam hidden gems discovery thread

stevish

Neo Member
If you like fire Emblem but could do without the anime I can recommend Lost Eidolons

lost-eidolons_2022-09-01_005.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
If you like the first game, but 2 and 3 don't click for you, I'd still recommend checking out the more recent "The Lost Tales" games in the series. They have more in common with the first game. Personally, I liked them all - but I also like a lot of weird shit.
Done 100% on the first 2 games. I enjoyed both, though the economy of 2 was a bit more harsh than the first. Surmountable by crafting & selling items so not a deal breaker. I also felt like the items in 1 randomly generated infinitely whereas 2 was very finite. Maybe just me not understanding fully the mechanics of 1. Looking forward to playing through 3.

Gp1

Melvor Idle - A single player chart based RPG incremental idle game that takes heavy inspiration from Runescape (Its basically Runescape but on paper)
Super Kiwi 64 - 3D collectathon platformer inspired by the N64 platformers
ss_412962e1a811bb110d172d3fa5ae4946a67ccfbb.600x338.jpg

That Quake 2 vibes

Ishma3L

This might be beyond the scope of the thread, but I wanted to share some upcoming games that have the potential of being future hidden gems. Or maybe its a hope they don't become hidden gems and are more popular. There are demos too for these suggestions in case you'd like to try first and judge them for yourselves.

Victory Heat Rally - A very fun arcade racer. Tons of SNES vibes with this one.

Agent 64: Spies Never Die - I'll let you figure out the inspiration for this one on your own. Retro FPS in the vein of a certain N64 title.

Wizordum - A retro FPS in the vein of early genre titles like Catacombs 3D and Wolfenstein 3D. Comes from the developer of Crystal Caves HD, Secret Agent HD, and Monster Bash HD. Will have built in level editor and workshop integration on release.

Bzzzt - 2D skill platformer. Think Celeste.

Gravity Circuit - Great feeling Mega Man-esque 2D platformer

Heartworm - Upcoming Survival Horror. Silent Hill vibes for sure. Great demo. Hopefully this can dark horse like Signalis.

Fortune's Run- Awesome Cyberpunk immersive FPS.

Supplice - Retro FPS Doom (1993) clone.

And remember there are demos for these. So you don't have to take my word for it.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
This might be beyond the scope of the thread, but I wanted to share some upcoming games that have the potential of being future hidden gems. Or maybe its a hope they don't become hidden gems and are more popular. There are demos too for these suggestions in case you'd like to try first and judge them for yourselves.

Agent 64: Spies Never Die - I'll let you figure out the inspiration for this one on your own. Retro FPS in the vein of a certain N64 title.

Wizordum - A retro FPS in the vein of early genre titles like Catacombs 3D and Wolfenstein 3D. Comes from the developer of Crystal Caves HD, Secret Agent HD, and Monster Bash HD. Will have built in level editor and workshop integration on release.

Heartworm - Upcoming Survival Horror. Silent Hill vibes for sure. Great demo. Hopefully this can dark horse like Signalis.

And remember there are demos for these. So you don't have to take my word for it.
Great post! I think I wishlisted all those.

Buggy Loop

I fucking love the resurgence of old school shooters. Boomer shooters. They’re honestly so much better than the wave of shit FPS that were going for cinematic vibes for over a decade.

Ishma3L

One more suggestion to add that has a demo.

Fallen Aces - Retro FPS. Feels like build engine game with a crime noire theme.

TwinB242

This is one of the best modern adventure games I've played on PC. Engaging storytelling, great characters, unique paranormal gameplay mechanics, and many challenging and well made point & click puzzles:

And this one here is one of the better old school RE-like games out there. It might look like a shameless copy at first glance but its actually very well put together and at times I felt like I was playing a proper RE game made by Capcom. The level design in particular is top notch and makes many other similar games feel amateurish in comparison.

Also one very cool aspect is that you can actually choose your desired camera angle/perspectives when starting the game. You have the standard First Person view, the classic fixed camera angles, or the third person over the shoulder view popularized by RE4

Last edited:

I remember playing the demo when it first came out! I enjoy the visuals and gameplay style, but some of the controls felt strange on M+KB, and the aiming mechanic didn't feel quite there. Hopefully the dev will make a few improvements to the controls, but otherwise the aesthetic looks on point and I'm looking forward to it.

I fucking love the resurgence of old school shooters. Boomer shooters. They’re honestly so much better than the wave of shit FPS that were going for cinematic vibes for over a decade.

This, so much. Only modern non-boomer FPS I really cared for was DOOM 2016. Otherwise it's been remasters and throwbacks all the way.

Fallen Aces - Retro FPS. Feels like build engine game with a crime noire theme.

Definitely trying this one out. Visuals look spectacular, hope the gameplay feel matches up.

A cool little steampunk metroidvania

Another metroidvania that came out last year but didn't get much traction

A bullet-hell shmup set in alternate history 17th century space colonialism, with co-op

This one isn't released yet, but there is a demo. It's awesome, like a modern F.E.A.R. game.

Fuz

Another one, been waiting for a sale on this one since it looks very cool:
Yeah this one could have been great but it sucks ass. Constant handholding, feels like playing a tutorial that never ends. You have very low agency on the "game", spend most of your time clicking away the kid's obnoxious instructions (which also are very slow). Do this! Now do that! Now click here! Now click there! It's awful.
Maybe it's designed just for very small children, I don't know.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah this one could have been great but it sucks ass. Constant handholding, feels like playing a tutorial that never ends. You have very low agency on the "game", spend most of your time clicking away the kid's obnoxious instructions (which also are very slow). Do this! Now do that! Now click here! Now click there! It's awful.
Maybe it's designed just for very small children, I don't know.
Wow, that sounds like shit. Guess you just saved me some good money, so thanks.

Had the game any kind of charm and fun at least? Wouldn't mind getting it if it's ever sold at 5€ or so.

Fuz

Wow, that sounds like shit. Guess you just saved me some good money, so thanks.

Had the game any kind of charm and fun at least? Wouldn't mind getting it if it's ever sold at 5€ or so.
Lots of charm. Some really great ideas. And it's all wasted by the constant chattering of "Kenta".

I've been playing Roadwarden lately. It is a text adventure game with illustrations, akin to a choose your own adventure book. The writing is good, though the first character you meet is a female who is in charge of the remnants of a military outpost, and you get your first bit of LGBTQUIAP+ representation 10 minutes in. If you can handle hamfisted woke stuff in your writing, then it is absolutely a gem. Plays really well on the Deck, too.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I made that Dave the Diver OT thread. Feel free to stop by.

Kuranghi

I am tempted to throw together an OT after watching a bit of someone’s play through. I’ll definitely be picking this up.

I have this feeling you will, call me crazy but if it happens then come back to this comment and be like, that guy was right, I did do it!

edit - Doh! Now I look insane. More insane.

Last edited:
I am tempted to throw together an OT after watching a bit of someone’s play through. I’ll definitely be picking this up.

I heard of UnMetal through word-of-mouth, and after watching the trailer, I was immediately sold. 100% recommendation to anyone who loves the following:
* Metal Gear (Solid)
* Retro throwbacks
* National Lampoon-style parody humor

As far as Steam Deck goes, I beat UnMetal long before I got mine, but I did install it on my Deck to test it out, and it all controls and looks great.

This game has 229 reviews on Steam. Far fewer than many of the games posted in this thread.

This is a game that largely borrows from Megaman Zero. You tag enemies, and then you push a button to defeat them in order of the tags. Then you fight the boss... every boss in this game is a masterpiece that you have to master.

Man, this and Mystia Izakaya. Are RPG Restaurant Sims becoming a thing now? They both look crazy popular everything considered
I’ll be honest the restaurant part is my least favorite part, but once you get enough resources it basically becomes creating the menu and upgrading dishes rather than serving. The underwater exploration is great.

Top Bottom