• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam hidden gems discovery thread

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The difficultly was pure bullshit, but the patch must've worked. At launch the Steam User Review average dropped below 50% (currently 63%).
It is an 88-92% game IMO and I will never miss a chance to pimp it. Finest pixel art graphics since the 16-32bit era.

(screenshot with ReShade)
676135605B8C226365C094C283DAC27CEEA61675
Ignored this one on release due to bad word of mouth but yeah, back to the wishlist, which btw is getting way too big thanks to this thread. Thanks OP! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

The Trigglypuff
Thought of a few more.

Ex-Zodiac: A straight up Star Fox clone modeled after the series 16-bit roots, but better than the actual classic game. Also has a little bit of Space Harrier and AB Cop sprinkled in.
ss_c2dacdc648347833ce19f2c88726d32f045827f2.600x338.jpg
ss_e304dbfbf002094cd5855428e80b326bf2299be5.600x338.jpg

Spectacular Sparky: 16-bit style run-and-gun that feels like a mix between Ruff n Tumble and Alien Soldier.
ss_00c2f6f2a45cd858330f037d5d0f02389f7b0004.600x338.jpg
ss_aece018dba95ec5d8786cb703895cca23242385d.600x338.jpg

Strania: Methodical shmup with shades of Radiant Silvergun from genre legends G.rev.
ss_7a9781f3567f26ae8535e994be093c0e221722db.600x338.jpg
ss_1fb6e9d97318f9beaad8e4db36d2a6e55ab79f9b.600x338.jpg

Overload: Somehow this spiritual sequel to Descent by the original Descent team passed without much notice. Maybe it was the bad buzz around Descent Underground or the lack of the name in general, but you owe it to yourself to give this one a go.
ss_1e03de93cf3b5c9fa4b73d05ced2c0d45c3b05f7.600x338.jpg
ss_d1e9c46047ad47c8944796aaa293d18245e26e06.600x338.jpg

Last edited:

stranno

XX79 and XX89 series by Phr00t are single-developer roguelike open-world action RPG FPS with a Minecraft touch. I was a big fan of 3079 back in the day. Not sure what is the best nowadays among them, 8089 is the most recent and I guess complete.

Labadal

If you're into turn-based games, hold on to your butts, or wigs.

河洛群俠傳 (Ho Tu Lo Shu : The Books of Dragon)
This is in Chinese only, but wait! There is a fan translation patch, and there is one other weird thing where you have to change your time settings to Chinese,, but you can just reset when you turn off your computer. You wot m8? you might be thinking, but the game is worth every hassle to play it. I have beaten it three times since it released. The world is handcrafted, and full of things to do or find. Think of it as if a Chinese studio made Gothic, but made the game turn-based, party-based, and Wuxia related. Combat uses AP for movement and actions. You have a party of four. On second highest difficulty, you can add one more member, and on the highest difficulty, you can recruit people to have a 6 man party. You are free to customize your character, even if I advise a fairly focused build. One of the best games I have played in recent years. (Reviews are well over the limit, but it's mostly Chinese ones.)
ss_567d232feff04d8ca9e49d3b09dcbf35de4ba38c.600x338.jpg

TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children
This is a Korean tactical RPG. Again, you might be thinking: KOREAN!? Indeed, and it is great. While above game is my favorite RPG, this is my favorite TRPG. Customization options are insane. Combat encounters are fun. Some of them are super long, but you can turn off the game, and just pick up where you left. I play on the second hardest difficulty, and it is perfect for me. Very far into the game, you get access to customizing robots, and catching animals as party members. Amazing game, with great passion from the devs. Fans literally begged them for DLC. I have never seen a more humble development team.
ss_5b98a20d836c5b414edd0a143736d557d58bbcb9.600x338.jpg

The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos
Your first thought might be that I'm crazy. You're recommending a game based on some French comedy radio show? Yes, yes I am. This has incredibly solid gameplay, and should be in the library of every fan of turn-based games. I would go so far as to say that this game has no right to be as good as it is.
ss_73ff218cb0c78c25d5e20d369413561ef2bdc893.600x338.jpg

King Arthur: Knight's Tale
Another tactical RPG, based on Arthurian mythology. This is a mix of XCOM and rpg. It can be really unforgiving, but is a lot of fun. It has a different take on the mythology, so it's up to you if you like that or not. Combat is solid, and you're free to recruit quite a few heroes. This is another top tier game that I recommend to turn-based fans.
ss_3e534beafe20fccb77510668d023f7ceca62989f.600x338.jpg

Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game
This one is a crpg, and not a tactical one. The game is in Early Access, and I have had fun with it. I stopped playing, because I want to wait for the full release. Challenging, but fun. Allows you to solve quests in different ways, and non-combat stats matter. One of my most anticipated games of 2023 for me.
ss_f7de07d537ef5c60e9fa02372a6307c15a1e26f7.600x338.jpg

If you want more suggestions, I have quite a few more turn-based games, but I usually don't have the taste of general GAF. Not really that many AAA games bought by me anymore.

Last edited:

graywolf323

figured I’d come back with a couple more

Defender’s Quest is quite possibly my favorite tower defense game and there’s a sequel that’s been long in development so figured be good to get more eyes on the original

Max’s Big Bust is just a silly and fun visual novel, there’s some fan service (but no nudity despite someone having tagged it as such), in a lot of ways it reminded me of some of the silly classic point to click adventures of old (yet it doesn’t even have 100 reviews yet!)

another visual novel that has gotten slightly more attention that the previous one (this one has ~500 reviews) which is also available on Google Play/iOS if you prefer to play on mobile

finally if you enjoyed the choose your own adventure novels as a kid I recommend the Heroes Rise trilogy (I think it’s well written)

Last edited:
A few years ago I bought Talisman Origins (the solo play edition). There's the other Deluxe version meant for multiplayer.

Origins is a good game. It can be bought dirt cheap for lie $3 on deal.

I plowed through almost the entire game (it's just scenario after scenario). It can get repetitive and the music is ultra grating. But well worth the purchase. I never played the board game, but knew of it. It can be a bit buggy though and I lost my progress many times and had to start a scenario over as they dont allow multi saves.

Another one that I am quite fond of:

Save Room: A quick puzzle game based on the inventory management from the RE games, particularly RE4. 97% positive on steam, $2.99

vmNLFmg.png
Hmm I thought I remembered that the RE4 inventory system was lifted from another game called Attaché, but I just googled it and I cant find any evidence that game exists.

Does that sound familiar to anyone else or did I just imagine it?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Do you like text adventures? Do you like hidden object games? Point and click adventures? Resource management sims? A game with no action or QTEs?

All these things come together pretty nicely and combine into a package that is Hero of the Kingdom

Set off on an adventure, find treasure (sometimes, literally finding it through hidden-object style gameplay). The story is cheesy but the experience is pretty unique. The game only takes about 3 hours to completely finish.

There are five games in the series, but they're all basically interchangeable. Three is the worst one, mechanically. Almost all of them have been in bundles at some point. In fact, you can get the original trilogy on Fanatical right now for $1.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Do you like text adventures? Do you like hidden object games? Point and click adventures? Resource management sims? A game with no action or QTEs?

All these things come together pretty nicely and combine into a package that is Hero of the Kingdom

Set off on an adventure, find treasure (sometimes, literally finding it through hidden-object style gameplay). The story is cheesy but the experience is pretty unique. The game only takes about 3 hours to completely finish.

There are five games in the series, but they're all basically interchangeable. Three is the worst one, mechanically. Almost all of them have been in bundles at some point. In fact, you can get the original trilogy on Fanatical right now for $1.

Well, you sold me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well, you sold me.
If you like the first game, but 2 and 3 don't click for you, I'd still recommend checking out the more recent "The Lost Tales" games in the series. They have more in common with the first game. Personally, I liked them all - but I also like a lot of weird shit.

GHG

Will throw a few recommendations of lesser talked about games that I've enjoyed:

Teardown:

Amazing sandbox game where everything is destructible and has true to life physical properties. There are a number of missions via a campaign but there's a ton more because of the workshop support. DF also covered this at some point before:

----

TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children:

Xcom meets JRPG, that's literally it and it's great fun, has a lot of depth. I was recommended this by a fellow Gaffer but can't remember exactly who, sorry but it's probably one of the best recommendations I've had here.

----

Hard West 2:

Supernatural + Western in a turn based RPG. Has a card system, for progression. Really enjoyable game for anyone who likes turn based RPGs.

----

Severed Steel:

Superhot meets Mirrors Edge/Ghostrunner meets Hotline Miami. Everyone should own this game, it's incredible.

----

Encased:

If you like the classic style of Fallout games then you owe it to yourself to play this. It plays homage to them in the best way I've seen since underrail, but is more friendly on the eye and in terms of QOL features.

GHG

A few others:

Alaloth Champions of the four kingdoms:

It's early access but this is very, very good. It's the best take on isometric dark souls combat that I've played yet. Be warned though, it has a very steep learning curve but once you get over the initial hump it really flows.

----

Stranded: Alien Dawn:

Rimworld but in 3D. If you like rimworld then you'll likely take to this.

----

Sunday Gold:

Unique and stylish blend of classic adventure game with turn based combat. It's brilliant.

Holammer

Keep it coming, my wishlist is getting a lot of new additions.

This one is short, intense af, with banger music, and just plain awesome.
Oh God, I bought that game early on. Still haven't played it, lemme install it right away.
Made me think of a game released in the same time frame called Freedom Fall, also a short game that can be finished in a couple of hours and I remember enjoying it.

Thought of a few more.

Ex-Zodiac: A straight up Star Fox clone modeled after the series 16-bit roots, but better than the actual classic game. Also has a little bit of Space Harrier and AB Cop sprinkled in.
ss_c2dacdc648347833ce19f2c88726d32f045827f2.600x338.jpg
ss_e304dbfbf002094cd5855428e80b326bf2299be5.600x338.jpg

Spectacular Sparky: 16-bit style run-and-gun that feels like a mix between Ruff n Tumble and Alien Soldier.
ss_00c2f6f2a45cd858330f037d5d0f02389f7b0004.600x338.jpg
ss_aece018dba95ec5d8786cb703895cca23242385d.600x338.jpg

Strania: Methodical shmup with shades of Radiant Silvergun from genre legends G.rev.
ss_7a9781f3567f26ae8535e994be093c0e221722db.600x338.jpg
ss_1fb6e9d97318f9beaad8e4db36d2a6e55ab79f9b.600x338.jpg

Overload: Somehow this spiritual sequel to Descent by the original Descent team passed without much notice. Maybe it was the bad buzz around Descent Underground or the lack of the name in general, but you owe it to yourself to give this one a go.
ss_1e03de93cf3b5c9fa4b73d05ced2c0d45c3b05f7.600x338.jpg
ss_d1e9c46047ad47c8944796aaa293d18245e26e06.600x338.jpg

You sure know how to spot good-looking "homage" titles! Ex-Zodiac in particular looks goddamn gorgeous. I watched the trailer and the animation looks buttery. I'm gonna go add it and Overload to my wishlist.

Crayon

Native to Linux but comments on ProtonDB says it doesn't support controller input. They recommend using the windows version w/ Proton to get the gamepad to function. I imagine you could remap the controls in the settings, though. I 100%'d a few years ago so not entirely sure myself.

Always default to the windows version. Native linux versions use opengl. Either native or wrapped. Both are usually inferior to the windows version through proton.

Ignored this one on release due to bad word of mouth but yeah, back to the wishlist, which btw is getting way too big thanks to this thread. Thanks OP! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sorry Im going to be that guy but Souldiers is a piece of shit. I would not buy it but its ur own money. It has game-breaking bugs and the devs just abandoned it. I encountered it and could not finish the game, so ofc I will be against it. I and some other dude reported it but we never got a reply back or anything/ The bug thread on the forum has a ton of ppl posting and there hasnt been a single patch since july. I repeat buy it at your own risk but theres a very high chance you can get perma stuck. That being said, leaving the tons of bugs aside and the fact that they abandoned it, its not a good metroidvania either. The art style is the only thing it has going for it. You know how metroidvanias needs to be rewarding when exploring? Souldiers is not. All you'll find in the maps are healing pots and throwables you will never use. The leveling system is a joke, you get like +1 hp every level lmfao. Its a fake metroidvania with a dog shit level design as well. You'll spend half the game in the same zone trying to open different colored doors. Just read some steam reviews. Any decent/average game can easily get very positive on steam. This garbage is still at mixed and for good reasons. Looks like my thumbs-down review is still the first one lol. Fuck these devs.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Anyone else can't see the steam links in this thread anymore?

Sorry Im going to be that guy but Souldiers is a piece of shit. I would not buy it but its ur own money. It has game-breaking bugs and the devs just abandoned it. I encountered it and could not finish the game, so ofc I will be against it. I and some other dude reported it but we never got a reply back or anything/ The bug thread on the forum has a ton of ppl posting and there hasnt been a single patch since july. I repeat buy it at your own risk but theres a very high chance you can get perma stuck. That being said, leaving the tons of bugs aside and the fact that they abandoned it, its not a good metroidvania either. The art style is the only thing it has going for it. You know how metroidvanias needs to be rewarding when exploring? Souldiers is not. All you'll find in the maps are healing pots and throwables you will never use. The leveling system is a joke, you get like +1 hp every level lmfao. Its a fake metroidvania with a dog shit level design as well. You'll spend half the game in the same zone trying to open different colored doors. Just read some steam reviews. Any decent/average game can easily get very positive on steam. This garbage is still at mixed and for good reasons. Looks like my thumbs-down review is still the first one lol. Fuck these devs.
Well that sounds awful. I already have a big enough backlog so I guess I'll pass on this one.

TintoConCasera

A few more, this time it's games I own but haven't played yet but that look cool and have positive reviews.

Plus those two that I played and loved:
Not exactly hidden games but anyone should play them. Try going in as blind as possible.

Working for me. Maybe a brief outage?
Seems like it, I can see them now. Though for a second that we broke Steam. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fuz

Hmm I thought I remembered that the RE4 inventory system was lifted from another game called Attaché, but I just googled it and I cant find any evidence that game exists.

Does that sound familiar to anyone else or did I just imagine it?

?

The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos
Your first thought might be that I'm crazy. You're recommending a game based on some French comedy radio show? Yes, yes I am. This has incredibly solid gameplay, and should be in the library of every fan of turn-based games. I would go so far as to say that this game has no right to be as good as it is.
ss_73ff218cb0c78c25d5e20d369413561ef2bdc893.600x338.jpg

I'll second this one. It's also available for less than 3 bucks right now on G2a

?
Yeah that must be it. Seems it's inaccessible now.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
If you like the first game, but 2 and 3 don't click for you, I'd still recommend checking out the more recent "The Lost Tales" games in the series. They have more in common with the first game. Personally, I liked them all - but I also like a lot of weird shit.
$1 is a steal. I meant to check out the first game for 20 or 30 mins and got sucked in for 90. This is right up my alley. Thanks for the rec. I’ll be binging my way through these and I will definitely get the lost tales.

Plays great on Steam Deck, though I have to squint a bit.

Have you played these? Same dev.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Since one of the interests in this thread are games for the Steam Deck, try this one:

Basically a JRPG + Restaurant management/cooking game.
Game is separed into two segments.

>During the day you walk about the world, talk and get to know people, do side-quests that give you rewards, collect and buy ingredients, progress through the story, etc. Most of what you do during the day has some impact during nightime, when you open your restaurant. Aside from preparing ingredients you can also learn new recipes from the characters throughout the world, buy things from shops, invite them to your restaurant, expand your restaurant, pay debts, and so on. Most actions take "time", similar to Atelier games, where if you collect an ingredient or travel from one region to another, "time" is consumed.

>During the night is the cooking game part of the game. You open your "izakaya" (a type of casual japanese restaurant), organize the menu for the day (though you can still cook recipes outside the day's menu), hire helpers (for a salary of course), pick your cooking utensils, etc. You'll serve costumers who generally ask for specific things from the menu - though you can get a bit creative by looking at what each type of costumer likes and get their favor - as well as special costumers who usually give more vague orders, and depending on how much you please them you might get some "buffs". Or "debuffs" if you displease them.

Its an interesting game overall, feels like an Atelier meets Overcooked, very chill and i think it'd be a great companion for the Steam Deck.

And of course, can't end without mentioning the amazing 10/10 :messenger_kissing_smiling:*chef kiss*🤌 soundtrack

Last edited:
Not really sure you could call it a hidden gem as it has 8k reviews but I only just tried it yesterday as they are doing a free weekend on Steam. Seems pretty good so far, only just got my first character to level 10. Worth checking out while it is free!

Top Bottom