• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ellery

Day looking bad again in europe after the ECB said they are going to increase rates by .25 which is kinda funny because everybody had to be expecting this at the very least in the face of 8%+ inflation.

Really having trouble finding stocks to pick based on business merit atm with (still) high evaluation and earnings that were inflated by easy monetary policy in the past few years.

Anyone have interesting stocks they are looking at? (not asking for purchase advice, but rather some stocks to put on my watchlist for the long run to check on to see how they perform in the next few months)

Cyberpunkd

Anyone have interesting stocks they are looking at? (not asking for purchase advice, but rather some stocks to put on my watchlist for the long run to check on to see how they perform in the next few months)
Can’t help you much, I am holding Amazon, Apple, Tesla, etc. Alibaba is going crazy as always, might help to buy at 90, offload at 110, rinse repeat.

Fools idol

wild volatility on alibaba. It seems as though as the US traders panic sell, the asian market buys up the shares the next day.

I'm up big still on my $80 shares...

It finally happened. Intel went below $40. :/

Well dang I think my chances of seeing mid 55's-60 have flown out the window before 2008 part 2 goes down. I will just hold long.

Hardensoul

What is up with Cloudflare NET, it’s now under $50. I just got 20 shares last week at $52.

I’ll just hold it it’s only 20 shares!

Edit: looks to be bad day overall! 😔

Last edited:

Fools idol

What is up with Cloudflare NET, it’s now under $50. I just got 20 shares last week at $52.

I’ll just hold it it’s only 20 shares!

Edit: looks to be bad day overall! 😔
still in a downtrend with the QQQ index infortunately. If you are already long holding and averaging down conservatively every couple of weeks is the way to go. I expect after the index has a good correction these tech stocks will rebound first, they are deeply over sold.

FunkMiller

Hold on to your butts this week lads. Lots of interest rate hikes coming.

homer simpson falling GIF

Last edited:

GHG

Key levels are getting slaughtered.

Rolled some of my short puts down and out to avoid early assignment risk for now but at some point in going to have to say I'll just take the shares at certain valuations.

Last edited:
Worst day since one of the Covid March 2020 meltdown days. I should had held off rebuying back into the market this year. At one point I was near my high with only 2 stocks and like 90% cash in late 2021.

Last edited:
Well... I did say I was in for the long haul if shit hit the fan.

Luckily mine was more a long term investment anyway but I did want to see a quick run up before the crash, so I could cash out and re buy at rock bottom. There is no way I'm selling anything.

GHG

So happy I cashed everything out a few months ago. Holding all in cash for now.

Honestly I wish I didn't even sell the puts that I have right now. Even though it's mostly just paper losses at the moment it's been brutal to look at in the last couple of days. Making me second guess whether I even want the stocks at the prices I've sold the puts at even though we are still yet to hit those prices.

My concern right now is that I think the bottom will be a lot worse than most people think. It's not unfeasible that we could exceed the covid lows. Some individual names like Intel are already there.

Last edited:

MikeM

Honestly I wish I didn't even sell the puts that I have right now. Even though it's mostly just paper losses at the moment it's been brutal to look at in the last couple of days. Making me second guess whether I even want the stocks at the prices I've sold the puts at even though we are still yet to hit those prices.

My concern right now is that I think the bottom will be a lot worse than most people think. It's not unfeasible that we could exceed the covid lows. Some individual names like Intel are already there.
Agreed. COVID didn’t hit the housing market valuations. This already has which in itself is unprecedented in a long time and will get worse as interest rates continue to rise combined with how indebted most people are.

This will be different but I don’t think it will be anywhere near 2008 levels of bad. At least, I hope not.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

I'm invested longterm in ITOT, IEFW, and IVW. Do you guys think this will EVER bounce back, or is this the bursting of the 100-year bubble?

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This year I am down over half a million from my ATH (Stocks + Crypto). Still feeling wealthy, very safe and not really bothered though. I guess this means the pain hasn't even started.

Last edited:

Fools idol

btc.png

OK this one made me LMAO. Amazing.

So many crypto nerds are going to get a shock when they hodl the dip only to see the dip keep dipping and they suddenly lose their job and have to sell to buy $5 bread loafs and gas at $10+.

Greater idiot markets are hilariously brutal once we run out of idiots to buy (happened last year). Take the stairs up and the top floor window down.

Last edited:
With all the interest rate hikes lately, that's the feds or Bank of Canada for ya.

Inflation has been high since 2020 when covid hit the fan and people were hoarding driving up prices. Finally, in early 2022 did they start increasing rates, but they were so late they've resorted to last minute giant hikes fast. Canada has went up 1.25% in 4 months (0.25 + 0.50 + 0.50). And another bump coming soon.

What they should had done is more frequent 25 pt pops smooth out the past 24 months. Or start it in early 2021. Instead rates were dirt low for basically two years and now they are jamming in hikes in less than 6 months.

It made zero sense that inflation was high for so long at such low interest rates. They are supposed to go up and down together. Not have 2 year gaps of high inflation and virtually zero interest/mortgage rates. So of course prices will ramp up and people will be bidding up houses.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

still in a downtrend with the QQQ index infortunately. If you are already long holding and averaging down conservatively every couple of weeks is the way to go. I expect after the index has a good correction these tech stocks will rebound first, they are deeply over sold.
Cloudflare came back up to $50 from $40 of last week. Let’s Go!

Do any US users here look at the EU/UK market before they make a decision on where their Port will go?

In my case, it seems to be an advantage to see what happens in Asia before the EU and then judge what to do with British Stocks before I look at the open of the US Companies. They sometimes don't correlate but it is a good indicator.

Just buying on dips and buying Dividend stocks at the moment for the Large Caps such as Legal and General.

Fools idol

Do any US users here look at the EU/UK market before they make a decision on where their Port will go?

In my case, it seems to be an advantage to see what happens in Asia before the EU and then judge what to do with British Stocks before I look at the open of the US Companies. They sometimes don't correlate but it is a good indicator.

Just buying on dips and buying Dividend stocks at the moment for the Large Caps such as Legal and General.

depends

Asian markets tend to be more rational in most cases, US markets are dominated by trading algorithms that cause a lot of short term havoc. China regulates big funds trading a lot more heavily in that regard. non chinese residents aren't able to actually own chinese stocks outside of ADRs.
EU markets are a joke honestly. The volume there doesn't compare to the US, and these markets tend to just follow futures movements until the US market opens.
UK markets even more so.

just my observations. Short term movements are kinda pointless, you need to be long term minded. That said, Futures are where you should look for overall market sentiment on a given day.

It's also manipulated too - so be careful making decisions on the day based on what futures are doing in the morning.

Last edited:
Parents asked me what to invest $100K part of their retirement into. I'm thinking ETF for them, better than a bank but not too risky. Suggestions? Generally looking for security with a quarterly/annual return they can cash out and leave the principal in?

Last edited:

Fools idol

Parents asked me what to invest $100K part of their retirement into. I'm thinking ETF for them, better than a bank but not too risky. Suggestions? Generally looking for security with a quarterly/annual return they can cash out and leave the principal in?
yikes.. they couldn't have picked a worse time honestly.

I know general wisdom says not to try and time the market, but realistically right now we are probably mid way through a very rough patch, lol.

yikes.. they couldn't have picked a worse time honestly.

I know general wisdom says not to try and time the market, but realistically right now we are probably mid way through a very rough patch, lol.
Yeah it's a shocker ATM. Just looking for something better than bank long term deposit for them.

Fools idol

Yeah it's a shocker ATM. Just looking for something better than bank long term deposit for them.

Obviously I'm not a financial advisor nor do I know your parents overall financial health but, if I was in your situation I would be splitting it the following way;

25% of the capital into an ETF but dollar cost average 5% of it each month for the rest of this year so you avoid some downside risk.

the other 75% I would potentially split into some big dividend payers for immediate cashflow, and the rest into future proof things like clean energy and Tesla.

Your parents are probably 60+ I assume so their horizon for return is limited - I have a bad feeling the next 10 years is going to be a lost decade for passive investors.

Good luck man, remember, its probably your money one day, so help them invest it how you would like to inherit it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

GHG

For now keep it in cash. Right now an ETF is not better than a bank.

The only strategies that are yielding results right now are being short the market and/or more complex options strategies on the sell side, both of which need to be actively managed.

Whatever you do, don't rush. Take your time and do some research, particularly around the macro environment at the moment.

For now keep it in cash. Right now an ETF is not better than a bank.

The only strategies that are yielding results right now are being short the market and/or more complex options strategies on the sell side, both of which need to be actively managed.

Whatever you do, don't rush. Take your time and do some research, particularly around the macro environment at the moment.

There is no immediate hurry for now. Just getting some ducks aligned for them without the chunk of change to financial planners for the lower end of investment amount they're talking about.

Melon Husk

Suggestion: don't do anything immediately. Leave a note for yourself to check back in a year. Think for a year about how you want to allocate it. If you must start immediately averaging into something, do it every 6 months over 2 years, not monthly. Ideally, both wait first and then time-average. The worst thing would allocating monthly over one year. Monthly is bad & year is too short.

Whatever you do, don't pile it into something in one go unless you have an exceptional reason to do so.

edit: Oh, and don't buy things that are going down. Buy things that are going up.

Last edited:
depends

Asian markets tend to be more rational in most cases, US markets are dominated by trading algorithms that cause a lot of short term havoc. China regulates big funds trading a lot more heavily in that regard. non chinese residents aren't able to actually own chinese stocks outside of ADRs.
EU markets are a joke honestly. The volume there doesn't compare to the US, and these markets tend to just follow futures movements until the US market opens.
UK markets even more so.

just my observations. Short term movements are kinda pointless, you need to be long term minded. That said, Futures are where you should look for overall market sentiment on a given day.

It's also manipulated too - so be careful making decisions on the day based on what futures are doing in the morning.
Thanks for the explanation!

I am currently just holding long term companies across the UK, US, EU and Asia currently.

I do buy in the mornings but maybe I should hold off until the US opens as sometimes the Price then changes once we see what the US does.

Raven117

What is their time horizon? Melon has the right of it right now.

For a young person, retiring in 20 plus years, going all in now will “likely” be fine long term so long as you are comfortable you don’t have dio into that amount for any reason. Folks approaching retirement age, it’s quite a different analysis.

Last edited:

gundalf

I actually have around 100K€ to invest and currently put weekly into Vanguard ETFs (All-World and High-Dividend-Yield).
Should I stop that and wait for the next quarterly company reports?

Last edited:

HoodWinked

We're almost there 1:1 :messenger_beermugs:. But seriously is there some other hidden thing that this is telling us? Feels like it's signaling something... the expected is that the euro recovers and we go back to a ~1.2 conversion but maybe the value of the dollar plummets instead to get back to the previous rate. Or does it say something positive about the US market?

Jd6vZ9F.png

Last edited:

GHG

We're almost there 1:1 :messenger_beermugs:. But seriously is there some other hidden thing that this is telling us? Feels like it's signaling something... the expected is that the euro recovers and we go back to a ~1.2 conversion but maybe the value of the dollar plummets instead to get back to the previous rate. Or does it say something positive about the US market?

Jd6vZ9F.png

It tells us we are on the cusp of a global currency crisis. Sri Lanka was just the start.

Top Bottom