• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streets of Rage 4 - Gameplay Teaser

Kazza

New interview:

On new stuff:

Bo: There’s lots of new stuff, [a lot of its] really in the subtleties, things like when you do the special moves and it drains the life, now you can get it back by hitting people. We felt that was something really missing in the original games because the problem with the special attacks [being] too strong so they had to limit it in some way, but then you end up not choosing the special as much as you want because it would drain your life

On the story:

it continue where the third one left off, it’s really a sequel… we’re doing that. Unlike some people are thinking, it’s not happening 25 years later, it’s only 10 years later, so it gives us some kind of interesting change of setting… But, it’s not so long that they’re like Grandads.

On the art style:

Bo: It goes with Ben Fiquet, his background as a comic book artist and animator so you don’t do something with and decide to go with big fat pixels, it would be a waste. Also, it’s in line with the old game, and making it current. It wouldn’t be current if it had the big pixels. At the time what they wanted to do is something that looks good. It wasn’t a pixelated style that much.

On things taken from the first and third games:

Weapons were a little more useful in the third one, but they also had life. So, there’s little things like that. We tried at some point, the sprint that was in the third one, but then we realize it breaks the gameplay.

Last edited:

Kazza

Him saying that running breaks the gameplay pretty much confirms that it won't be in the final version. Although I enjoyed the move in 3 (and tend to turn it on in SoR Remake), I'm fine with them leaving it out.

Oh, and the interviewer did ask about the music, but still no confirmation :messenger_pensive:

dirthead

Banned
I think it's going to end up being a big mistake. The gameplay videos we've seen so far make the movement look like wading through mud. It's sluggish. Many beat 'em ups have had running and dash mechanics, and they were fine.

SALMORE

i just want to
I think it's going to end up being a big mistake. The gameplay videos we've seen so far make the movement look like wading through mud. It's sluggish. Many beat 'em ups have had running and dash mechanics, and they were fine.

i think the " running " will kinda ruin the new juggle combo feature , specifically if you're playing with another player

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
i just want to

i think the " running " will kinda ruin the new juggle combo feature , specifically if you're playing with another player
The running wasn't implemented because the devs ONLY took inspiration from SoR2. So if you are expecting multiple routes, extra modes or the special bar too bad!

Kazza

What a tease!

Platform announcement, release date, more gameplay, MUSIC ANNOUNCEMENT...? Can't wait!

Elenchus

Banned
The hell are you talking about GAF? People complaining about the visuals as if they just started gaming last gen?

Visuals are fire! Love beat em ups! Give me an X-men arcade remake with online co-op and I’m handing over top dollar, fresh biscuits, and probably a few sexual favors!

Kids these days...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing new to see. :(
Kidding me? This is important news

"Dotemu, Lizardcube and Guard Crush Games are thrilled to reveal that Yūzō Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima, the original Streets of Rage series’ incomparable composers, will be joined by an all-star ensemble in contributing brand new tracks for the Streets of Rage 4 soundtrack. "

"
- Yūzō Koshiro (Streets of Rage 1, 2 & 3, Sonic the Hedgehog, The Revenge Shinobi, Shenmue I & II,...)
- Motohiro Kawashima (Streets of Rage 2 & 3, Shinobi II, Batman Returns,...)
- Yoko Shimomura (Street Fighter II: The World Warrior, Kingdom Hearts I, II & III, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve,...)
- Hideki Naganuma (Jet Set Radio & Future, Super Monkey Ball, Sega Rally 2,...)
- Keiji Yamagishi (Ninja Gaiden, Tecmo Bowl,...)
"

Last edited by a moderator:

dirthead

Banned
I'm expecting them to blow it. Koshiro hasn't done anything that holds a candle to SOR2's soundtrack since...SOR2. I really don't like what he said about the music in that video, either. Gives me no confidence. Wasn't about melodies? Every good song in SOR2 was actually about the melodies. The weaker songs in that soundtrack were the ones that didn't have standout melodies.

Talk about a superstar line up. The only person missing is Akira Yamaoka from Silent Hill. I’m not sure if they will finally topple SOR2’s beloved and legendary soundtrack, but I think they will do really well with the music. Great news.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Adam Hunter entered the game!

He is very different from the past games, more than the other characters, but I liked. His forward + punch is a very well animated move, with a lot of impact. The one which he does 3 punches with the same arm!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
My main gripe with the 4 player mode is that the boss just becomes a damage sponge. SoR2 just added more bosses or made them faster. Meh.

Top Bottom