• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

number11

Death Waltz will still be a separate label.. It just seems like Spencer will now be running both. I wonder if this means Death Waltz will be the horror / cult label, with Mondo the mainstream / animation label.

omgkitty

Death Waltz will still be a separate label.. It just seems like Spencer will now be running both. I wonder if this means Death Waltz will be the horror / cult label, with Mondo the mainstream / animation label.

Well Death Waltz is mostly UK related as Mondo is the US. I would assume there will be parity when possible. There's some stuff Death Waltz couldn't release in the US due to licensing issues. With both of them being connected, we'll probably see a lot of stuff come out in both territories.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I ordered Oasis - Definitely Maybe from Amazon, and it arrived in the worst packaging ever. It wasn't a vinyl mailer and my album came destroyed. Autorip is great though.
At least with them, you don't have to worry about getting a replacement right away without hassle, I guess.

Is this a Prime feature or can anyone use it?
It's for any purchase by anyone, it'll say whether it's autorip or not. Sadly, not all new vinyl are.

8bit

Knows the Score
So, got this today.

Bx5SEntIAAAIxoT.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
This will have to suffice until Kranky decides to reissue Refinement and Tired Sounds.

IMG_2199_zpsd88cee73.jpg

buuut that new Winged Victory for the Sullen album in a couple weeks will be a nice stop-gap!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Some stuff from the last 2/3 weeks...

img_006610uvx.jpg

White Lung - Deep Fantasy
Jamie xx - All Under One Roof Raving
Botanist - VI: Flora
Todd Terje - It's Album Time

img_0068imudc.jpg

Misfits - Misfits Collection Vol.1 [original pressing]
Screeching Weasel - My Brain Hurts [original pressing]
John Carpenter & Alan Howarth - Prince Of Darkness (death waltz) [black/blue pressing]
Metallica - Master Of Puppets [original pressing]
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin [2014 remaster]
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III [2014 remaster]

img_00718fui8.jpg

Makers, The - Tear Your World Apart

Grizzo

Just started my vinyl collection a few weeks ago. I plan on getting mostly recent ones. Mainly my fav pop/R&B/hip-hop albums (if available) and some singles too, starting with these two

I'm proud of the Nelly Furtado one. Loose is one of my favorite album plus the vinyl version is pretty rare.

Also just bought these two on eBay

The two best singles from my fav band ever.

^
semi related if your into that type of music you might like this mix a friend of mine did which is all done on vinyl.
https://soundcloud.com/riz_la_teef/riz-you-trippin
Ciara - Deuces Remix
Destiny’s Child - Is She The Reason
Missy Elliot - The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)
Handbook - Don’t Be Mad
Brandy - Can You Hear Me Now (Purple Dolphin, Blaxton & Jarreau Vandal Bootleg)
Tweet - Turn Da Lights Off
Cam’ron - Oh Boy
Missy Elliot - All N My Grill ft. Big Boi Of OutKast & Nicole
Handbook - Actors
TLC - Waterfalls
Aaliyah - More Than A Woman
Kelis - Millionaire
Blackstreet - No Diggity
Fugees- Fu-Gee-La
Bagul - Sunshine
Total - Can't You See ft. The Notorious B.I.G
Eve Feat. Gwen Stefani - Let Me Blown Your Mind
Gina Thompson - The Things That You Do (feat. Missy Elliott) (Remix)
Adina Howard - Freak Like Me
Blue Cantrell Feat. Sean Paul - Breathe
Mary J. Blige - Family Affair
TLC - No Scrubs
Aaliyah - Back & Forth
Mad Skillz - Move Ya Body
Christina Milian Ft. Ja Rule - Between Me & You
Fat Joe - What's Luv? (Feat. Ja Rule & Ashanti)
Jennifer Lopez - If You Had My Love
Ashanti - Rock Wit U
Brownstone - If You Love Me
Betty Wright - Clean Up Woman (Jim Sharp Edit)
Mark Morrison - Return Of The Mack
Handbook - Sweet Coral
Notorious B.I.G - Juicy

nitewulf

heads up for anyone who wanted the RSD REM unplugged set. They decided to split it up and re-release as two 2-lp sets due to high demand.

i'm listening to Mono Masters as i type, incredible quality, don't think i've ever heard them sound so good.

omgkitty

Nathan Johnson's incredible score for Rian Johnson's time-travel masterpiece is coming to vinyl for the first time. Composed using found sounds of the film's production city of New Orleans, Nathan crafted a suspenseful, innovative soundtrack to the dystopian landscapes of a future where time travel and murder are controlled by organized crime.
In a stunning packaging concept by Jay Shaw, this 2XLP album comes in a embossed, gold foil gatefold jacket, housed in a custom, hand-embellished canvas bag. With the help of local effects shop Hawgfly Productions, Mondo lovingly crafted a truly one-of-a-kind package befitting this modern sci-fi classic.
A bonus 7-inch record will be available for purchase in limited quantities as a companion piece for true collectors featuring the track "Slinky Dance" by Kid Koala, released in full for the first time ever, along with a B-side piano version of the "Theme from Looper," performed by Nathan Johnson himself.

e53f2b9d060d0095f99c3c35_533x533.jpg

Original music composed and produced by Nathan Johnson. Packaging design by Jay Shaw. Liner notes by Nathan Johnson. Housed in a hand-embellished canvas bag. 2XLP in deluxe gatefold jacket pressed on 180 gram Black vinyl. Accompanied by a limited bonus 7" record. $70

074023f16cd03fc173c00b37_533x502.jpg

Original music composed and produced by Nathan Johnson. Packaging design by Jay Shaw. Liner notes by Nathan Johnson. Housed in a hand-embellished canvas bag. 2XLP in deluxe gatefold jacket pressed on 180 gram Black vinyl. $60

Please follow us on Twitter for the on sale announcement. This LP will be available online at a random time on Tuesday, September 23rd.

$60??? WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK

amnesiac

I'm forever grateful that Mondo reissued Jurassic Park on vinyl, but it's really clear they value collectibility over playability/quality. Don't think I'll ever buy from them again.

omgkitty

I'm forever grateful that Mondo reissued Jurassic Park on vinyl, but it's really clear they value collectibility over playability/quality. Don't think I'll ever buy from them again.

There's no reason why they couldn't have done the special edition and then just a standard release for a normal price.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
$60 for the soundtrack to LOOPER?

What's next, a $120 premium edition of the soundtrack to Timecop on Van Damme Green Vinyl

8bit

Knows the Score
There's no reason why they couldn't have done the special edition and then just a standard release for a normal price.

Given that Death Waltz do standard black vinyl as well as the coloured vinyl ones I'd hope that mentality bleeds through to further Mondo issues.

big ander

Given that Death Waltz do standard black vinyl as well as the coloured vinyl ones I'd hope that mentality bleeds through to further Mondo issues.

sadly I think it's going to go the other direction. Death Waltz releases are going to become harder to get and even more expensive as they're fetishized by pure collectors. oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Shiv47

I loathe Mondo's business model, so hopefully it doesn't ruin Death Waltz, but if it does, it does. I don't need most of their releases.

WEGGLES

I loathe Mondo's business model, so hopefully it doesn't ruin Death Waltz, but if it does, it does. I don't need most of their releases.

Yeah.

I'm kinda done with them after missing out because I wasn't f5ing all day. :\

Or even when I WOULD try that I still missed out a couple times.

I get what they're going for. But up your production numbers a bit. Don't just make everything they do EBay fodder. :\

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm interested in their 2001 vinyl...but what's the problem with their quality, not up to the standard of other labels?

amnesiac

I'm interested in their 2001 vinyl...but what's the problem with their quality, not up to the standard of other labels?

I can only speak on the Jurassic Park release.

The jacket quality is very cheap for the premium price that you pay. It feels like a $15 record jacket, not a high-quality (perhaps glossy) $40 jacket it should be. The Jurassic Park release also only included garbage generic paper sleeves, but I've learned they have switched to polylined sleeves for releases after it.

Under a bright light, the records (both version A and B) are scuffed. Lots of noise, pretty distracting. I went through two copies of version A before accepting that I would not get a pristine copy from this company.

omgkitty

I can only speak on the Jurassic Park release.

The jacket quality is very cheap for the premium price that you pay. It feels like a $15 record jacket, not a high-quality (perhaps glossy) $40 jacket it should be. The Jurassic Park release also only included garbage generic paper sleeves, but I've learned they have switched to polylined sleeves for releases after it.

Under a bright light, the records (both version A and B) are scuffed. Lots of noise, pretty distracting. I went through two copies of version A before accepting that I would not get a pristine copy from this company.

They also seem to have an issue with the top of the sleeves in the middle splitting. I have several records from them split there.

wenis

Hype for that Shaun of the Dead release dwindling. I lucked out finding that rare Prince of Darkness "death waltz" release so I think that'll be how I get future releases like that from now on.

It's a dumb business model for sure, especially if your quality isn't up to snuff. Stuff like that doesn't stay quiet and when the LP market starts to taper off (and it will, it's just a matter of when), they'll be the first company to feel it because the people that are in it to flip or in it for the image won't be there because it's not cool or the resale market isn't where it was. Only people around by then will be the ones that want to be and would be in the know about pressing quality and build quality.

number11

Yeah.

I'm kinda done with them after missing out because I wasn't f5ing all day. :

I get what they're going for. But up your production numbers a bit. Don't just make everything they do EBay fodder. :

The Amber version of Jurassic Park and the creepshow 7" were the only Mondo releases hard to get. Drive and Batman sold out in about 20 minutes.

Most of their other records remain available for weeks/months.

I have some Mondo releases that are dead silent, and others that are full of surface noise. Unfortunately, it's pretty rare these days that I buy a record that isn't warped or noisy (whoever the label is)

Shiv47

Yeah.

I'm kinda done with them after missing out because I wasn't f5ing all day. :\

I get what they're going for. But up your production numbers a bit. Don't just make everything they do EBay fodder. :\

Their model is essentially "devote all your time to checking up on what we're doing, and then hope you get lucky." I have a life, I don't have time for that shit. Why not just have open pre-orders for a limited time, and then they don't have overstock, people who want something get it, and you keep the quasi-limited nature of what they do.

Speaking of Death Waltz, I did order their Equestrian Vortex release, which looks cool. Loved Berberian Sound Studio, so this is a nice little bonus thing to me.

I am sure it is well known among long time vinyl enthusiast, but I am still relatively new to this hobby but;

InSound can go fuck itself.

I never buy anything full price from there, because it is always cheaper on Amazon or my local record shop. However, occasionally they thrown up a random of assortment of records for 50-70% off. At this discount, if you buy three or more, the savings will become pretty decent despite their shipping costs, as the base shipping doesn't increase until you add several records.

This seems like a pretty sweet deal to get 5 new records at 70% off that are great additions to your collection. However, the stock they advertise as "in stock" is seldom ever in stock. They will allow you to add the "in stock" items to your cart, check out and fully process your order. You know, like any e-commerce store does. But, with InSound, apparently telling if they have something or don't and then beaming said information to a website is an immensely complicated nut they have yet to crack. You will eventually get your order widdled down. First with "back order" notification, and then sometimes weeks later, these records that were in stock when you bought them, become "no longer in print" What then happens is they will split the last remaining record or two into two seperate shipments and apply the full shipping costs to each individual order. That nice lot of records on sale for 70% now become one or two records that cost more than they do at Amazon.com at regular price!

TL;DR Even with a 70% discount, InSound manages to find a way to charge you more than a new record at regular price. Fuck InSound.com, never again.

WEGGLES

The Amber version of Jurassic Park and the creepshow 7" were the only Mondo releases hard to get. Drive and Batman sold out in about 20 minutes.

Most of their other records remain available for weeks/months.

I've tried getting prints from them several times. I've only succeeded once. Very frustrating to have something in your cart, go to check out, hit submit... page hangs... sold out. :\

The vinyl is a bit easier to get, but it's still a pain and rather overpriced. They could bump their production numbers up a bit and make it possible for actual fans to get stuff... instead of just ebay resellers who run scripts.

Their model is essentially "devote all your time to checking up on what we're doing, and then hope you get lucky." I have a life, I don't have time for that shit. Why not just have open pre-orders for a limited time, and then they don't have overstock, people who want something get it, and you keep the quasi-limited nature of what they do.

Speaking of Death Waltz, I did order their Equestrian Vortex release, which looks cool. Loved Berberian Sound Studio, so this is a nice little bonus thing to me.

Not even open pre-orders... just have your cart "hold" an item for 10 minutes. Too many times I've missed out on awesome shit because it's in my cart but their checkout process gets unintentionally DDOS'd by everyone rushing at once to buy something.

R.I.P. the Horkey There Will Be Blood print....

http://blog.mondotees.com/2013/05/16/there-will-be-blood-detail-shots/

andylsun

Just bought

Aphex Twin - Syro

It was a tough choice, $36 on vinyl (pressed in the EU) or $9.99 on CD.

Went with the vinyl. I have a couple of his EP's so it will sit nicely with them. Hope the record will grow on me.

^^^ Good pick up. Highway 61 Revisited should be in everyone's collection. You need Blonde on Blonde next!

I got the new Tweedy (Jeff Tweedy of Wilco with his son Spencer) album today. Each disc is a beautiful yellow swirl vinyl, this is the first LP:

S5uKbEl.png

YXPb67i.jpg

Been wanting both of these for forever. I kept looking for Led Zeppelin and no place had the normal version, and I have zero interest in the deluxe edition. Yesterday I realized I'm an idiot and that I could click the little arrow next to the deluxe version on Amazon and that would show that they actually had the normal edition in stock. Duh.

Really like the trend of reissuing old stuff on vinyl. Really helps to fill in the gaps in my collection.

mattiewheels

Have any of you heard of Love Tractor? I never had until a few months ago, they were one of those Athens bands alongside REM, and they're pretty amazing. They're all-instrumentals and there's a Television/early New Order/Durutti Column sound to it. Found them on Amazon Prime Music, listen if you've got it. Death is another mindblowing album, they had a fully-formed punk sound in '74 before anyone else, and they never released an album.

got my Pop Market Tribe Called Quest collection (mines Love Movement, sadly) just a few weeks back, plus a $10 or so copy of Illmatic off ebay! right now, Wu Forever & a few others are still a bit too pricey for my liking, and i was pretty bummed to learn that Nujabes' LP's don't seem to have seen vinyl releases, yet at least. hopefully one day.

gonna keep scouring garage sales/etc for the rest of my list!

I'll post these here too as I finally got all the Reatards records (the SSLD 7" was a pretty elusive one...). Not including color/cover variations I am now missing Grown Up Fucked Up on CD (which I get soon), the 2xCD version of Teenage Hate reissue (which I can just go and buy) and very hard (for decent price) to find Shattered Records CD-R of Bedroom Disasters. Top want cover variations include "Repress" version of the second 7" and "Bootleg" version of your so lewd.

GFfhubU.jpg

I think I have around 100 Jay Reatard (or related) records now.

mattiewheels

* according to the marketing speech
Really? I hadn't heard a band with that particular sound from that timeframe, unless I'm in the dark on my protopunk bands.

Really? I hadn't heard a band with that particular sound from that timeframe, unless I'm in the dark on my protopunk bands.

From the pre-1975 crop, Suicide was there in 1970. Electric Eels started in 1972, there were Radio Birdman in 74, There were Dictators, New York Dolls... I guess you could even count Modern Lovers, Real Kids, Television or T. Rex or Sonics or fucking Stooges in the similar timeframe.

Okay, I can acknowledge that the Death thing is kinda cool, but it's not like it was some sort of best kept secret in the world. And yeah, Politicians In My Eyes is punk-ish I guess, but I really don't know how there's three LP's of Death stuff out there. Oh yeah, because 2/3 of that is pretty low quality.

I did see Death live this summer, and I guess they were okay.

And I am not saying that that first Death LP was bad or anything, it's just the hype that has left a bad taste in my mouth.

mattiewheels

Punk's a weird thing, since the attitude behind it was there even back to VU and The Who, but the sound took a while to happen. I'd say krautrock stuff like Neu helped that sound too with the machine-like rhythm and energy. Suicide's a good call, too.

Why is is that every brand new record I order from Amazon is warped slightly? Not enough to affect the playing, but it's noticeable when you look at the record head on.

amnesiac

Why is is that every brand new record I order from Amazon is warped slightly? Not enough to affect the playing, but it's noticeable when you look at the record head on.

Eh, very rarely I will get a perfectly flat record. If it doesn't affect the sound I wouldn't worry about it.

omgkitty

Deathwaltzrecs ‏@deathwaltzrecs 6m6 minutes ago

Our Twin Peaks vinyl reissues will arrive in Jan 2015. @ThatsOurWaldo will have more details soon.....

Looking to get started.

I know what turntable I am getting but I would like to know of any cheap/decent Speakers and Amps with Phono inputs.

Any help would be awesome, especially with links to those items.

overcast

Deathwaltzrecs ‏@deathwaltzrecs 6m6 minutes ago

Our Twin Peaks vinyl reissues will arrive in Jan 2015. @ThatsOurWaldo will have more details soon.....
Capitalizing on the hype today. Can't wait.

Shaun of the Dead vinyl goes on sale tomorrow I guess? I know Wenis wanted it.

wenis

already have my alarm set for midnight tonight. unless they have a standard time their shop gets updated.

Top Bottom