• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

UrbanRats

Is SMB SteamCloud capable? In that it saves to the cloud and can be played on either Mac or Windows with the same save?

Or, alternatively, is the save file for the Windows version compatible with the Mac version in that I can just copy it over between games?

Because I really want to play, but the Mac version is so buggy that I'm probably just going to reinstall Windows again until they fix it.

For Braid, i simply had to connect the game on PC, to have all the progress i had made on mac.
But with SMB it doesn't work, so i assume it doesn't have cloud yet.
I transferred manually the PC saves into the mac, and they work just fine. ;)
you need to port:
"savegame.dat" and "savegame.dat.bak"
I also ported replays, but didn't try them yet ingame.

The only thing is, it's a bit tricky to find the saves folder on the mac:

*username*/library/application support/steam/steamapps/common/supermeatboy/show package content on super meat boy.app/contents/macOS/UserData.

And here you drop the two files + replays.

Jasoco

Banned
So the Mac Steam version was updated with fixes. Apparently they couldn't figure out how to do resolution stuff inside the app so it's now part of the command line. -fullscreen puts it in fullscreen. But is there any way to change the quality and resolution? Because it retains the 800x600 letterboxed resolution and stretches it up to fill my screen. So it's windowboxed like I'm watching an SD channel on my HDTV.

Also, it still runs really badly on a Core2Duo. Any Mac users know how well it runs on a MacBook Air with an i5?

Chuckpebble

Update for OS X version today:

Super Meat Boy Updated
Product Update - Valve
OS X version update:
-Fixed problem with PNGs loading in incorrectly causing warpzones with the retro palette to crash unexpectedly
-Fixed problem with chapters in Super Meat World having less than 20 levels not loading correctly
-Fixed problem with levels in Super Meat World chapters not being named correctly
-Fixed problem with not being able to exit the game via the menu
-Added buttonmap.cfg to install directory to allow for remapping of controls
-Removed Resolution and Fullscreen options from Settings Menu
-Added the ability to do full screen via the command line (-fullscreen)
-Added the ability to run 1920x1080 via the command line (-1920x1080)

That controller config file is BURIED.

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/super meat boy/SuperMeatBoy.app/Contents/MacOS/buttonmap.cfg

Yeah, thats in an app bundle. SPLAT-SHIFT-G and then copy pasta that in there to get to it real easy.

Nabs

smbcom.jpg

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-anniversary-super-meat/724418

So a few months back Tommy and i got together to do an awesome SMB commentary track, we tried our best to achieve that and THIS is what came out.

So I just noticed the Etsy account for the Meat Boy Mugs still has them in stock. I figured they'd be out of stock by now since they were limited quantity.

-Go get one here!
-They are handmade by the game's co-creator Tommy Refenes' parents: Kim and Tom Refenes IIRC.

I love mine! And I bought a pair as a wedding gift for some very old friends of mine and they absolutely loved them.

Pics:

They've also got one-year anniversary mugs, some signed by Ed and Tommy still in stock! Grab some!

(Prices below include $5.00 Shipping)

I bought this in the XBLA sale. This is definitely one of my absolute favourite games of the generation. The controls and game play are just perfect.

snorggy

I was skeptical about this game, but bought it at 400 points and love it. Game is amazing. The best thing I can say about it is that despite dying A LOT, I've yet to become frustrated by the game.

Nabs

I was skeptical about this game, but bought it at 400 points and love it. Game is amazing. The best thing I can say about it is that despite dying A LOT, I've yet to become frustrated by the game.

That'll happen later on when you try to unlock a certain character.

Jasoco

Banned
Okay, this is really silly.

The Mac version came out a few weeks ago and it has since gotten one update which only fixed one bug and didn't fix the horrible performance, even on a Core i5 processor. Horrible slowdown, delays in loading animations, no fullscreen or resolution settings. Horrible port all around.

So I just installed Windows in Parallels, a Virtual Machine, and installed Steam and loaded it up. It runs perfectly, even at full resolution full screen (1440x900) on my MacBook Air with 1.5GB dedicated RAM and 256MB for video memory.

So I finally get to continue playing with no problems, and I don't have to install into Bootcamp because it plays amazingly. I'm just going to uninstall it from the Mac side of Steam and play it in Windows. Sheesh. Maybe eventually there'll be a Mac update that makes the game not suck, but for now, if you have a Core i5+ processor on your Mac, just use Parallels.

Either way, now I'm having fun again. Gonna have to make it up to where I was when I had it installed in Bootcamp a while ago when I thought the game had SteamCloud. Oh well. That's part of the fun!

Next step, buy an Xbox USB controller and play it the way it's supposed to be!

Now that I've played hours and hours of this, I feel guilty that I waited for it to go on sale. This game deserved to be bought for the full price ages ago.
Once again an XBLA game has proven to be a better value to me than the $60 AAA games. I shouldn't be surprised since it has happened over and over this generation.

I think the best thing about this game is how quickly you restart after you die. On some levels I will die a hundred times and not feel any frustration at all because of it!

(my hand is starting to ache from playing too much though!)

Alright so I picked this up during the XBL sale and thought I would give it a go seeing how much hype this game got on GAF and other sites. I finished it in 2 sittings with 1045 deaths and I have to say it is one of the worst games I have ever played. Everyone talks about the tight controls when in fact they are insanely floaty and inprecise, as well as extremely inconsistent. Sometimes jump doesn't work, sometimes you go too far when you lightly press the button or not far enough even when you are holding it down. The hitboxes on death objects are also really inconsistent, you will find that on some objects part of your body can be touching the object and you will be fine, on others there can be a clear gap and you will die, this is especially noticeable in moving objects where the range seems to be different every time. The level design is pretty terrible as well with some levels seeming to be based more on luck than skill. So do yourself a favour and don't buy this unpolished turd of a game, I regret spending the 600 points on it.

Alright so I picked this up during the XBL sale and thought I would give it a go seeing how much hype this game got on GAF and other sites. I finished it in 2 sittings with 1045 deaths and I have to say it is one of the worst games I have ever played. Everyone talks about the tight controls when in fact they are insanely floaty and inprecise, as well as extremely inconsistent. Sometimes jump doesn't work, sometimes you go too far when you lightly press the button or not far enough even when you are holding it down. The hitboxes on death objects are also really inconsistent, you will find that on some objects part of your body can be touching the object and you will be fine, on others there can be a clear gap and you will die, this is especially noticeable in moving objects where the range seems to be different every time. The level design is pretty terrible as well with some levels seeming to be based more on luck than skill. So do yourself a favour and don't buy this unpolished turd of a game, I regret spending the 600 points on it.

Are you sure that you were playing Super Meat Boy

Are you sure that you were playing Super Meat Boy

That was my experience, check my XBL account if you want the proof. I'm completely serious, I had a terrible experience, it wasn't a fun game and the design was pretty bad. If you enjoyed it thats great everyone has their own opinion and that was mine. There were so many times in the game when I felt like my death was out of my control and any game that gives that feeling is something I am not going to like.

That was my experience, check my XBL account if you want the proof. I'm completely serious, I had a terrible experience, it wasn't a fun game and the design was pretty bad. If you enjoyed it thats great everyone has their own opinion and that was mine. There were so many times in the game when I felt like my death was out of my control and any game that gives that feeling is something I am not going to like.

Objectively wrong, no need for discussion.

There were plenty of levels that I was stuck on and then got through but had no sense of what I had done right that allowed me to get through it that time. I didn't learn anything from beating a stage I was stuck on for ages, it felt like the time I actually made it through the odds were just in my favour, I hadn't done anything more skillfully than I had the other ten times.

There were plenty of levels that I was stuck on and then got through but had no sense of what I had done right that allowed me to get through it that time. I didn't learn anything from beating a stage I was stuck on for ages, it felt like the time I actually made it through the odds were just in my favour, I hadn't done anything more skillfully than I had the other ten times.

Are you sure your playing the game right? Do you have the controller upside down?

TheExodu5

Banned
The only stages that might apply to are the ones with the guided missiles/enemies...otherwise everything was under your control to a tee. Even the guided missiles were usually easy to predict, though.

The only stages that might apply to are the ones with the guided missiles/enemies...otherwise everything was under your control to a tee. Even the guided missiles were usually easy to predict, though.

Nah - there is absolutely zero randomness to the enemy patterns or the missile physics or anything else in the game as far as I remember. If there was any randomness or bad controls I would not have been able to get 106% - the game gets too soul crushing that anything less than absolute perfect controls would make it impossible.

Are you sure your playing the game right? Do you have the controller upside down?

Seeing as I have seen people saying that its taken them upwards of 5000 deaths to complete the game I don't think so, getting through in just over a 1000 seems like I was doing a pretty good job. Why am I wrong?

Seeing as I have seen people saying that its taken them upwards of 5000 deaths to complete the game I don't think so, getting through in just over a 1000 seems like I was doing a pretty good job. Why am I wrong?

Because 95% of those 5000 deaths came in the last 5% of the real game - not the easy light world stuff you were playing. If you actually mastered the game come here and complain about controls - otherwise you have absolutely zero idea what you are talking about. You have not beaten the game, you have played about 1/3rd of the content.

Well, he is certainly objectively wrong about the controls. The amount of fun is obviously subjective, but the controls are not. They are incredibly precise and give you more control than probably any other platformer. It is not really arguable that they aren't precise.

Perhaps you could argue that they are TOO precise or that the game demands too much of you in combining run in mid air or changing directions, but the controls are extremely precise. You have more control over jumps in this game than any platformer ever.

Because 95% of those 5000 deaths came in the last 5% of the real game - not the casual light world stuff you were playing. If you actually mastered the game come here and complain about controls - otherwise you have absolutely zero idea what you are talking about.

Are you sure? I was reading a forum where people were saying 17000+ deaths for the dark world and 100% stuff. I guess we will just have to disagree, I didn't have fun with the game and it is one of the worst times I have had playing a game, I'll leave it at that.

Are you sure? I was reading a forum where people were saying 17000+ deaths for the dark world and 100% stuff. I guess we will just have to disagree, I didn't have fun with the game and it is one of the worst times I have had playing a game, I'll leave it at that.

Well I'll be here to say this is the greatest independent game ever released. So there, we cancel each other out.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nah - there is absolutely zero randomness to the enemy patterns or the missile physics or anything else in the game as far as I remember. If there was any randomness or bad controls I would not have been able to get 106% - the game gets too soul crushing that anything less than absolute perfect controls would make it impossible.

There's a tiny bit of randomness, but it's hard to notice. A few levels where you could run right off the bat and get get shot at by a missile illustrated this. The missile would sometimes should at slightly different times, resulting in different outcomes.

But your Xbox profile says that you didn't finish the game

Ken Masters said:
Can I enjoy this game only using a keyboard?

I just played with a keyboard for the first time earlier today, since I bought the Humble Bundle. I didn't really like it that much, to be honest. So I definitely recommend a 360 controller. But who knows, maybe you'll be just fine with a keyboard

TheExodu5

Banned
The keyboard does offer quicker and more responsive control, but at the cost of having non intuitive controls. Wall jumps were difficult for me to wrap my head around with the keyboard. I played with the 360 controller, but kind of wish I would have just mastered the keyboard.

AFAIK the no death dark world runs were done with a keyboard.

It's amazing how opposite EVERYONE feels from you. It's like you're taking every point that makes this game objectively good and saying the opposite.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Can I enjoy this game only using a keyboard?

Yes, it all depends on how you acclimate yourself IMO. I grew up playing platformers on a keyboard and I played SMB on a keyboard and when I tried a controller a few months ago I was actually having a worse time of it. I like the discrete control of arrow keys.

Top Bottom