• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terranigma 20th Anniversary Thread

Fou-Lu

Terranigma is one of the best games of all time. When I played it last year I was absolutely blown away. It's fun, dark, lonely, beautiful, hopeful, and just feels damn good.

dcassell

Banned
I like to think of myself as somewhat of a JRPG fan, and have owned/played almost all of the classics. But this thread has now reminded me that I've never even touched Terranigma or Illusion of Gaia. I think I might put those on my list. The OST tracks posted here sound incredible, especially for SNES.

Fou-Lu

I like to think of myself as somewhat of a JRPG fan, and have owned/played almost all of the classics. But this thread has now reminded me that I've never even touched Terranigma or Illusion of Gaia. I think I might put those on my list. The OST tracks posted here sound incredible, especially for SNES.

Despite absolutely loving Terranigma I still haven't been able to get into Illusion of Gaia.

dcassell

Banned
Despite absolutely loving Terranigma I still haven't been able to get into Illusion of Gaia.

Yeah, Terranigma has been one that's always stuck in my head. I've never really heard a ton of people talk about Gaia being incredible. I don't even know how I heard about it as a kid in the US (maybe it was mentioned on G4 or something?), but it's been a game I've always wanted to play. Just wish it wasn't so hard to get all the PAL equipment needed to play the game outside of emulation.

Taruranto

Why hasn't Square-Enix ever released this game on Virtual Console? Missed opportunity. Would love to play it.

The game disappeared in the pages of history, sadly.

The fact that it didn't have an American release and it was released in the EU english-only prevented it to develop a cult-following.

TheMoon

Why hasn't Square-Enix ever released this game on Virtual Console? Missed opportunity. Would love to play it.

Because Square Enix does not care about Enix games. It's a miracle they put ActRaiser on VC (and then stopped of course). If it ain't Chrono or FF-related you can forget about it on VC. They didn't even bother putting the Dragon Quest Game Boy ports on 3DS VC ffs that would have allowed you to play the whole saga from 1-9 on 3DS eventually. Sigh.

Really wish I had an opportunity to play this game. I might have to hunt it down in Japanese, and wait until I finally can read it (I'm also learning Japanese). :\

That'll be a while though.

Would an EU copy of this work on a SFC?

SNES is region locked. On top of this, Terranigma was one of the late-in-life games with a special region lockout chip that makes it a headache for region converters.

-shadow-

The game disappeared in the pages of history, sadly.

The fact that it didn't have an American release and it was released in the EU english-only prevented it to develop a cult-following.
Honestly seeing a 50hz exclusive game in the American VC would be absolutely amazing. It would be such a weird thing to see happen. I really wish the game is released on the VC.

Solrac

Im always complete this game at least once per year, i just can say this game is a master piece, the music, story, combat, graphic...the ending.

eXistor

Amazing game and I consider it to be amongst the greatest action rpg's ever. I will say, however, that at the time my English wasn't quite as developed as it is now (I'm Dutch) so I didnlt really notice the bad translaton. It does add somew charm, but it's definitely a weak point in an otherwise interesting story. It always felt so melancholy to me, the music, happenings etc. It was a great combination of everything I love in games.

spookyfish

No gif of the 3D graphics? This is one of those rare and almost perfect gems that everybody should play.

It's also a game that I'd love to see remade. Since the company doesn't really make games anymore, is anything stopping a fan remake project?

I bought an NTSC 'english' version, but my SNES picked that moment to completely crap out. I need to get another system, that actually works.

I've always wanted to play this game, and I'm still pissed they didn't bring it to the States.

Hobbun

I've played Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, loved them both.

Have always regretted not being able to play Terranigma. And I probably won't ever play it unless it gets released in NA via VC or something similar.

jb1234

I think what disappoints me the most about Terranigma is it doesn't have the same "reward if you beat monsters" element that Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia does. In Blazer, you unlock pieces of the world and in Gaia, you get stat level ups if you kill all the monsters on the screen. It doesn't really motivate me to tackle monsters in Terranigma, aside from just getting regular level ups.

I've played Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, loved them both.

Have always regretted not being able to play Terranigma. And I probably won't ever play it unless it gets released in NA via VC or something similar.

You can buy Terranigma repro carts for use on your NA SNES. I'd suggest looking into it.

Edit: wait, would that be considered piracy in this case? I don't know who owns the rights to this game or if they are expired, perhaps someone else here does.

FaintDeftone

I didn't get a chance to play this either since it wasn't released in NA. I do love me some Illusion of Gaia though so I'm familiar with the series. Maybe I should just emulate the EU version and play through it since that seems to be my only option.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'll play this as soon as I can play it on real hardware. I guess I could patch the game to NTSC and put it on a flashcart.

I had a love affair with the OST about a year ago. It's so bittersweet (in the best way).

Taruranto

You can buy Terranigma repro carts for use on your NA SNES. I'd suggest looking into it.

Edit: wait, would that be considered piracy in this case? I don't know who owns the rights to this game or if they are expired, perhaps someone else here does.

Isn't an EU copy kinda cheap on ebay anyway? Last time I checked to see how much mine was worth it was around 20-30€ without the box.

Either way, it's an hard situation because Square-Enix certainly isn't interested in maintaining the game legacy and the people who made it doesn't even exist anymore as a company.

I've always wanted to play this game, and I'm still pissed they didn't bring it to the States.

Iirc the reason was "heavy religious overtones". You literally work for and fight
the Devil/Satan
among other things.

TheMoon

Isn't an EU copy kinda cheap on ebay anyway? Last time I checked to see how much mine was worth it was around 20-30€ without the box.

Either way, it's an hard situation because Square-Enix certainly isn't interested in maintaining the game legacy and the people who made it doesn't even exist anymore as a company.

oO Terranigma is not cheap lol

Rights are pretty clear. This is a Square Enix game. No grey area here. Repro carts aren't legal.

That sucks. I play NA games all the time with no issue. I figured maybe I could with EU too.

( ; _ ; )

Because Japan and NA both are NTSC regions. Can't just throw a PAL game in there.

Taruranto

oO Terranigma is not cheap lol

Rights are pretty clear. This is a Square Enix game. No grey area here. Repro carts aren't legal.

I'm looking at it right now, and it goes for 25-35€ without the box. Maybe not cheap, but not tremendously expensive either?

Granted, if you want the complete package it gets hella expensive.

Yeah, Terranigma has been one that's always stuck in my head. I've never really heard a ton of people talk about Gaia being incredible. I don't even know how I heard about it as a kid in the US (maybe it was mentioned on G4 or something?), but it's been a game I've always wanted to play. Just wish it wasn't so hard to get all the PAL equipment needed to play the game outside of emulation.

I´m telling you now, Ilusion of Gaia is incredible, I remmember playing it as a child BEFORE learning english and it was really fun but didn´t finish it, then I played it as a teenager understanding what it was about... one of the best games I´ve played.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Illusion of Gaia/Time is my favourite SNES JRPG but I have yet to play Terranigma. I do have the cart which I bought at a good price on eBay, but it needs the battery replacing (which I have in a packet next to the cart on my shelf, but I need to find a service in the UK that can do it for me).

antitrop

Probably the best SNES game that never got released in the US (maybe tied with Tactics Ogre, but at least that got released on other platforms).

I emulated it when I was 13 and didn't even pretend to care about piracy, but I would buy an official rerelease in a heartbeat. Between ActRaiser, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma, Quintet is definitely my second favorite 16-bit developer, after Squaresoft.

MacTag

Banned
It's totally illegal but morally it's not much different from buying a used copy. Square Enix doesn't see a dime in either case and since they're offering no legitimate way for you to purchase the game from them they won't get much sympathy from me.

I say go repro with the ntsc hack if you want an english cart. Or buy a JP cart if you can read the language. Either way this is a game well worth playing in 60hz.

Mr. Virus

I'm looking at it right now, and it goes for 25-35€ without the box. Maybe not cheap, but not tremendously expensive either?

Granted, if you want the complete package it gets hella expensive.

The game was localised into separate language carts for PAL regions. German copies often pop up cheaper than English versions, but they're getting a bit pricer too.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
It's totally illegal but morally it's not much different from buying a used copy. Square Enix doesn't see a dime in either case and since they're offering no legitimate way for you to purchase the game from them they won't get much sympathy from me.

I say go repro with the ntsc hack if you want an english cart. Or buy a JP cart if you can read the language. Either way this is a game well worth playing in 60hz.

I'd say he's giving Enix too much credit as well. If I could give money to Quintet the people who made and deserve the money more I would.

antitrop

So, could anyone tell me if ActRaiser is good?

I think you should make an honest attempt to play it as soon as possible. 25 years later, there's still not much else like it out there, not even the sequel. The side-scrolling/platforming parts aren't the best (improved upon in the sequel), but what makes it really special is the sim part, where you control a little cherub and use Miracles to defeat monsters/clear obstacles to populate villages in a SimCity/Populous sort of way. The simulation isn't anywhere close to as deep as a PC God Game, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. Very accessible and fun to jump into in short sessions.

Soundtrack is one of the best on SNES.

So, could anyone tell me if ActRaiser is good?

Not sure if you're serious, ActRaiser is commonly regarded as one of the best games of the 16 bit era. It's a classic.

If you're asking how it compares to the Soul Blazer trilogy, though, then it doesn't. It's made by the same developer and shares some assets with Soul Blazer, but it's not an Action RPG like Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma. Rather, Act Raiser has two gameplay modes. You visit new worlds and each one has two action platforming section and one Sim City-esque town building sim. Sounds weird, but it works really well. Amazing soundtrack too, you should play it.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member

Are you trying to say that Quintet still exists? Because it sure as hell doesn't seem that way. Either way it's not like Square Enix will get any of my money regardless considering they are sitting on a bunch of other Quintet games they refuse to release again.

TheMoon

Are you trying to say that Quintet still exists? Because it sure as hell doesn't seem that way. Either way it's not like Square Enix will get any of my money regardless considering they are sitting on a bunch of other Quintet games they refuse to release again.

I'm literally saying "?!?!?" to your comment that I'm "giving Square Enix too much credit" for owning the rights to Quintet's games. Because !?!?! the hell are you saying?!

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I'm literally saying "?!?!?" to your comment that I'm "giving Square Enix too much credit" for owning the rights to Quintet's games. Because !?!?! the hell are you saying?!

You know what nevermind. You obviously don't understand that publishers = / = developers.

TheMoon

You know what nevermind. You obviously don't understand that publishers = / = developers.

What does that have to do with anything. I have no idea what you're even talking about in relation to my comment. Like, at all. And I do understand that very well.

Here's a refresher:

->

I'd say he's giving Enix too much credit as well. If I could give money to Quintet the people who made and deserve the money more I would.
?!?!?

So how does that turn into:

Are you trying to say that Quintet still exists? Because it sure as hell doesn't seem that way.

?

Person was asking if a repro cart would be considered piracy and what the copyright situation was with the game. To which I respond with the information that this (and the other Quintet games under Enix) are Square Enix games now and thus a repro cart is clear cut illegal since you can't even argue for abandonware or anything in like that due to the publisher being alive and well.

I've now spent way too much time explaining this non-issue.

Top Bottom