• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Yup. There are so many factors that come into play, besides the actual amount of RAM available.

Consider what was possible with 512MB of RAM. Now devs have GBs of the stuff to play with. No matter how much, that's a huge leap.

Also, same with last gen, over time techniques to utilise the memory will improve and become more efficient. Amongst other things.

There's a fair bit of overreaction (as is usually the case with such things). Personally i hope Sony come straight out and clarify for everyone's sake.

harSon

Banned
I'd be more worried about MS' first party teams than Sony's.

You can't take a previous generation as an indication of what will happen in the next. Sony wiped the floor with Microsoft in the PS2/Xbox generation, but the opposite was true for much of the generation within the first half of the 360/Playstation 3 generation. If merit based on past actions meant a damn thing then SCEJ would have blown our socks off within the current generation, but the opposite is true. As of right now, the Xbox One has a better lineup of games than the Playstation 4, and that's all we can really go off of. Especially since Microsoft has significantly improved their first party capabilities over the last few years by creating a bunch of new studios and formulating decent 2nd party options, several of which are AAA studios. Whether they actually put out quality software is up for debate, but you can't really assume that Sony's first party output is going to wipe the floor with Microsoft at this point.

It doesn't. I'm just saying that I'm more bothered by Sony's current Playstation 4 lineup than I am this news.

It is pretty funny how some gaffers are ignoring how weak that lineup is. I'm hoping for an announcement or two at TGS or gamescom otherwise I might sell my launch ps4 if there is a buck to be made.

harSon

Banned
It is pretty funny how some gaffers are ignoring how weak that lineup is. I'm hoping for an announcement or two at TGS or gamescom otherwise I might sell my launch ps4 if there is a buck to be made.

I have no doubt that their lineup will eventually be good, and sooner rather than later, but I can't imagine launch games being announced at Gamescom or TGS. Launch window is certainly a possibility thought.

And I'm in the same boat. If there's a buck to be made with either the Xbox One or the Playstation 4, I'm 100% going to be scalping that shit. I'm not letting morals get in the way of a subsidized generation.

Eh they are both pretty abysmal. The only games that look worthwhile on either system are the 3rd party efforts: Watch Dogs, and AC4 and both of those are going to be current gen as well.

FyreWulff

Yup. There are so many factors that come into play, besides the actual amount of RAM available.

Consider what was possible with 512MB of RAM. Now devs have GBs of the stuff to play with. No matter how much, that's a huge leap.

Also, same with last gen, over time techniques to utilise the memory will improve and become more efficient. Amongst other things.

There's a fair bit of overreaction (as is usually the case with such things). Personally i hope Sony come straight out and clarify for everyone's sake.

Wii to Wii U increase: 10x
PS3 to PS4: 12x ish
360 to Bone: 11x ish

From a programming perspective that big of a jump for any hardware is a ton.

Hell the jump from the PS2 to the PS3 was 15x the RAM. The N64 had a whopping 4MB of RAM and you got Ocarina of Time. FF7 ran on a console with 1MB general-use RAM. One freaking meg.

You can't take a previous generation as an indication of what will happen in the next. Sony wiped the floor with Microsoft in the PS2/Xbox generation, but the opposite was true for much of the generation within the first half of the 360/Playstation 3 generation. If merit based on past actions meant a damn thing then SCEJ would have blown our socks off within the current generation, but the opposite is true. As of right now, the Xbox One has a better lineup of games than the Playstation 4, and that's all we can really go off of. Especially since Microsoft has significantly improved their first party capabilities over the last few years by creating a bunch of new studios and formulating decent 2nd party options, several of which are AAA studios. Whether they actually put out quality software is up for debate, but you can't really assume that Sony's first party output is going to wipe the floor with Microsoft at this point.

HarSon you keep saying this but where is the proof? They are both releasing with the same third party games and MS and Sony have one solid exclusive during launch. Both launch lineups are weak. Sony is already planning their second wave of games at the beginning of the year starting with the new Infamous and will announce more at Gamescon. MS hasn't announced shit. The whole reason Sony's Japanese branch was lacking was because Sony started focusing their resources on their American first parties. In fact both lineups suck so bad I ain't even buying system until a few years from now (if I even do that).

but enjoy mashing one button to win while you cry over Ryse's graphics.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
By the way, AM - if you're reading this shit, stop being a lame and let people know that you're okay.

Slayven

I feel like neither the xbox or PS3 were maxed out like the PS2 was.

harSon

Banned
HarSon you keep saying this but where is the proof? They are both releasing with the same third party games and MS and Sony have one solid exclusive during launch. Both launch lineups are weak. Sony is already planning their second wave of games at the beginning of the year starting with the new Infamous and will announce more at Gamescon. MS hasn't announced shit. The whole reason Sony's Japanese branch was lacking was because Sony started focusing their resources on their American first parties. In fact both lineups suck so bad I ain't even buying system until a few years from now (if I even do that).

but enjoy mashing one button to win while you cry over Ryse's graphics.

I guess it's a matter of tastes at this point, but Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 interest me more than Sony's first party offerings at this point. I was never a fan of Killzone, while Knack and Drive Club look like legitimate trash at this point. Infamous: Second Son looks great though, but it doesn't come out until 2014. Dead Rising and Killer Instinct had bad showings at e3, but the information that's trickled out since that point have pushed my opinions towards them in a more positive direction.

I agree with Ryse though. As of right now, I'm not interested. It's definitely a wait and see. The developers are promissing something different, but I can only go with what I see at this point. If it shows off better in the future and reviews well, I'll bite, otherwise I'm going to skip it.

And as for Microsoft's first party capabilities this time around, I've posted this before:

Considering the fact that Rare is not developing Killer Instinct, Rare still has two projects in development considering they're a three team studio (Kinect Rivals being the only game they've announced and are developing). Lionhead has yet to announce a game for the XB1 and they're a 2-3 team studio. One of their teams is obviously working on Fable Anniversary though. We've yet to hear anything from Microsoft's new AAA studios, Microsoft Studios Victoria and Microsoft Studios Osaka. Crackdown is likely considering everything else on that Dashboard screenshot from the Xbox One unveiling has turned out to be an actual project, and with Spencer sporting the shirt on Jimmy Fallon, it's basically an ill kept secret at this point.

And from their smaller/Kinect/XBLA studios, we still don't know what Big Park, Good Science, Twisted Pixel (do they have a 2nd team?), Soho, Platform Next Studios, LIFT London, and Press Play (do they have a 2nd team?) are doing for Next Gen. Some of these, like LIFT London, are relatively new, so their games may or may not be ready for public consumption.

Undead Labs' (State of Decay) next game is probably a ways away from completion, but I personally can't wait for it. Certain Affinity (Halo Anniversary) and Playground Games (Forza Horizon: Forza Horizon 2 was basically confirmed for them.) are some other 2nd party possibilities. And there's definitely more Gears of Wars to be had, since apparently Gears of War Judgement is supposed to be a trilogy:
jb0YNMw88axrUK.png

harSon

Banned
Yeah its basically a taste thing since I bet they will both sit on even standing from a metacritic standpoint.

Yup. I'd imagine Forza and Killzone will be sitting in the high 80s or low 90s, and every other first party game from both platforms will be somwhere between 70-85. Maybe a bit higher across the board since launch titles tend to be rated higher than they should be for some reason.

harSon

Banned
Some fighting game fans I know played Killer Instinct and fucking hated it.

I've been following it pretty closely and I've seen nothing but positive feedback from the fighting community. The only negative thing I can think of is the Madcatz deal that was booed.

DY_nasty

I've been following it pretty closely and I've seen nothing but positive feedback from the fighting community. The only negative thing I can think of is the Madcatz deal that was booed.

I don't know anyone who's played it who's liked it more than Divekick. Non-sarcastically.

harSon

Banned
I don't know man, have you played TLoU? My friends Launch 60 sounded like it was getting ready to do a Apollo mission.

My launch 60 sounds like that regardless of what game I'm playing :/ And that's despite ridding the dust, and ensuring that it's covered when it's not being used. It used to purr like a kitten, and now it's ridiculous...

Imm0rt4l

Some fighting game fans I know played Killer Instinct and fucking hated it.

c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker

c-c-c-c-combo breaker

I was indifferent to it, and after trying it didn't care for it. Honestly the only people who are actively bigging up the game are nostalgic for the original(maximillian). I didn't play the original, and I don't care for the new one.
The future is here.

But by here, they mean here --->
ffbzba.jpg

ya'll better get your gg practice in starting now, cuz when this shit hits consoles shit is over.

c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker

c-c-c-c-combo breaker

I was indifferent to it, and after trying it didn't care for it. Honestly the only people who are actively bigging up the game are nostalgic for the original. I didn't play the original, and I don't care for the new one.

Pretty much what all of my friends from NorCal and Fresno said.

DY_nasty

Arc has to have some of the worst, deviantart-y character designs of all time.
That's good and bad.

They're over the top in their designs and it works both ways - some things are amazing (Justice, Venom, Hakumen) some things are just cringeworthy (Platinum, Platinum, Platinum)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's good and bad.

They're over the top in their designs and it works both ways - some things are amazing (Justice, Venom, Hakumen) some things are just cringeworthy (Platinum, Platinum, Platinum)

Ragna and Nu-13 might as well be somebody's OCs because everything about their design, their history, their 'abilities' sounds like something my 14 year old little sister would come up with after watching The Hunger Games.

why? Don't like the animu fighers? or is it some of their practices like dlc

A few of my friends from way back were all on GG's dick and they kept trying to get me to play them. So I gave each GG a chance, and I never liked any of them. The only thing I ever liked was the music, and only a few tracks. The mechanics, character designs, backgrounds, etc...I can't stand any of it.

DominoKid

A few of my friends from way back were all on GG's dick and they kept trying to get me to play them. So I gave each GG a chance, and I never liked any of them. The only thing I ever liked was the music, and only a few tracks. The mechanics, character designs, backgrounds, etc...I can't stand any of it.

that is unfortunate.

DY_nasty

GG is probably one of the most, if not the most technical fighting game out. If they crossed the rift between beginner/masher to even semi-advanced then you probably weren't even playing the same game as them.

Its like when people step to Qis in the GAF tournaments/rooms and expect to have a good time then end up crying in a corner.
Ragna and Nu-13 might as well be somebody's OCs because everything about their design, their history, their 'abilities' sounds like something my 14 year old little sister would come up with after watching The Hunger Games.
They're not even close to the worst lol

Shit, they both light up the screen like no other. Ragna's Astral makes me forget he's Ichigo in a heartbeat and Nu's daggerfu is always a joy to watch. Its not just the quick layout, but the overall play and form of the character that sets ASW rosters apart from the rest of fighting games. Like in KOF - what makes Vanessa standout? It's not the sleeveless top, its the swagged out boxing that still makes people talk shit about Akihiko from P3/P4A to this day. Arakune isn't immediately unique until you see him in motion. Litchi is just another boobie lady until her staff starts dancing. They have an extra dimension that other fighting games just don't have these days.

The new characters that they've kicked out have been absolutely bland and unimaginative as fuck though. Azrael, Bullet (who was a great character until she was actually seen, etc) offer nothing in any form.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Idk man, outside of a computer os and maybe a few applications I wont be messing with anything M$ related in the near future.
A higher base price, mandatory kinect with the nsa stuff.
yeah nope. I'm not that desperate to play a game. more power to people who are \_(ツ)_/

I have never touch a gg game before it never pulled my attention.

Top Bottom