• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - created by Rachel Bloom, Mondays 8/7c

Quick

Banned
Why is it a repeat tonight? What did I do to deserve thiiiiiis

I forgot that it's a repeat tonight...

tumblr_nyc8l4yUm71qgnlrfo5_400.gif

I think the full season order threw off the song production a bit.
I have nothing against musical parodies but it seems like 90% of the music lately has been a musical parody. They're good, but I'm missing the fantastic original songs from the first half of the season tbh.

Asbel

There was no new episode last week.
I missed ep 14, caught up on demand so I'm good now. That episode had great songs but I really liked where this week's episode is going hopefully.
Rebecca has found love and has grown as a character. I was afraid the name of the show would hold back her character development. Clearly Paula is the craziest one now.

Quick

Banned
Fantastic episode.

But I wish the episode had more time for an extra memory or two. I feel like they could've squeezed in another memory if they took out the West Covina/Rebecca's house parts, save for the end, but that last "memory" wouldn't make a big impact without it.

Had a good laugh at the Bechdel test joke, too. Good one.

Damn that cliffhanger though.

It was also on Monday Night Raw.

Wait, what? How? I have to see this.

I really enjoyed this episode. I completely adore Little Rebecca, and she was wonderful here. Also, did anyone notice that while dream Rebecca can sing, real Rebecca absolutely cannot.

I rewound the DVR to see if there were any Easter eggs in Rebecca's emails, and there were a couple:

From Naomi Bunch: 15 Foods to Avoid Gaining Weight. Do not eat!
From The Yoga Spot: Rebecca, you have 19 remaining yoga classes
From Lourdes Chan: this month's book club

I have only one criticism: for a show that has such a great, diverse cast, and has a strong feminist tilt, it was a little disappointing to see the one black female character in the show reduced to a literal Magical Negro trope.

Wait, what? How? I have to see this.

I really enjoyed this episode. I completely adore Little Rebecca, and she was wonderful here. Also, did anyone notice that while dream Rebecca can sing, real Rebecca absolutely cannot.

I rewound the DVR to see if there were any Easter eggs in Rebecca's emails, and there were a couple:

From Naomi Bunch: 15 Foods to Avoid Gaining Weight. Do not eat!
From The Yoga Spot: Rebecca, you have 19 remaining yoga classes
From Lourdes Chan: this month's book club

I have only one criticism: for a show that has such a great, diverse task, and has a strong feminist tilt, it was a little disappointing to see the one black female character in the show reduced to a literal Magical Negro trope.

I was gonna point out Heather but I realized that I may need to dig a bit to learn more about Vella Lovell. I did also note her Magical Black status while watching, but I can give it a bit of pass since she was an actual therapist in the show, and one that wasn't ACTUALLY there doing the magical therapy.

JCX

I have only one criticism: for a show that has such a great, diverse cast, and has a strong feminist tilt, it was a little disappointing to see the one black female character in the show reduced to a literal Magical Negro trope.

When Dreamghost began, I thought they were going to make fun of the magical negro trope instead of the safer "dreamghost" trope (which basically includes magical negroes).

Quick

Banned
giphy.gif

YES GREG.

Was hoping for another Settle For Me song, but that was good.

And kicking out Josh...damn son. She's for real!

Sober

What the episode actually meant was that Josh is gonna be back for Rebecca.

You heard it here first.

#PaulaWasRight

Zoe

For real though I do wonder how their dynamic will change without Josh. This show is like a high-wire act of self awareness sometimes.

Yeah, this was kinda foreshadowed back in the second episode when Rebecca turned down hanging out with Paula after they didn't go to the club.

I'm glad they made up though. At first I thought Paula was gonna become the Crazy Ex Girlfriend.

I did feel like the turnaround for Greg was REALLY fast though. Like you just started accepting getting over Josh. Take a line from your Dream Ghost Therapist and celebrate yourself for a bit.
No no, I'm not just saying this because I was on the Rebecca x Josh train, I swear!

Did anyone else feel really bad for Rebecca choosing to take the fall for the dress thing? Granted, it actually was her idea for wearing the dress, and it would be hard to explain Paula's role in this. In a way I guess it added a sense of finality for her though. There's no lingering threads like how Josh's family prefers her to Valencia.

I do think it'll be interesting seeing things with what's looking like a Love Triangle reversal. Now Valencia feels more locked in with Josh, and the Chan's dislike Rebecca for the first time. And we know that Josh has enjoyed all of the adoration and validation that Rebecca was giving him all this time.

Only one more episode for the season people.... :(

jerry113

Banned
jesus greg is such a debbie downer

edit:

rachel bunch is too good for him

i mean rebecca bloom. rebecca bunch! damnit i keep on doing this with her names

Leeness

It could be worse. I mean, I realized that I'm basically Greg. Then I realized I needed to stop being so much like Greg. Except for being musically talented.

I don't think I stop being like Rebecca without heavy medication lol. Unfortunate.

I'm glad you found self realization through Greg though! (Side note, he has the best voice. Hans from Frozen, and he does some audio books that are delicious)

Have multiple female relatives with DD+ sized breasts, so... the heavy boobs song. Yeah, that sounds about right.

Really like the way this episode went, overall. Hope there isn't much backsliding. Happy to see the Chans again. Sad that other minor-ish characters were totally absent from the episode. What are White Josh and Getting-Bi Darryl up to?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
On a show with as huge a list of great musical numbers as this series, it's shocking but myself thinking that I Could if I Wanted To is probably the best song yet. Love everything about this.

All the characters on this series are much deeper than they appear at first glance, and this song reveals the depths of denial and delusion that have gotten Greg to where he is in life. I could not stop laughing the entire time through and immediately watched the number again as soon as the episode ended.

This is the best freshman show of the 2015/2016 season, and it's awesome to see something as decidedly niche as this getting critical love and even a second season.

On a show with as huge a list of great musical numbers as this series, it's shocking but myself thinking that I Could if I Wanted To is probably the best song yet. Love everything about this.

All the characters on this series are much deeper than they appear at first glance, and this song reveals the depths of denial and delusion that have gotten Greg to where he is in life. I could not stop laughing the entire time through and immediately watched the number again as soon as the episode ended.

This is the best freshman show of the 2015/2016 season, and it's awesome to see something as decidedly niche as this getting critical love and even a second season.

This and I'm a stupid bitch, are just perfect. Like two sides of the same coin.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
This and I'm a stupid bitch, are just perfect. Like two sides of the same coin.

Absolutely. Those are my two favorite songs on the show, and just don't seem to lose their potency after repeated listens. I usually don't care too much about joke songs, actually so this show continually surprises me.

iammeiam

What the episode actually meant was that Josh is gonna be back for Rebecca.

You heard it here first.

#PaulaWasRight

Yup. I know we were supposed to see the grocery store situation as Greg coaching GroceryGreg on how to get with GroceryRebecca, but the setup basically works just as well if you think of Ally as Josh, Grocery Clerk With Half An Eyelid as Valencia, and Greg's new friend (who went to Harvard!) as Rebecca. Greg is a less villainous Paula.

Greg had it all spelled out to him: When Rebecca suddenly stops chasing, Josh is going to have to take the initiative. And Rebecca finally stopped chasing. Greg's just too blind to realize what that means re:Josh.

Top Bottom