• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Captain N

259303.jpg

This bad boy will be mine. I'm gonna be picking up Burnout & Ghost Recon until this comes out.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Not much to say. Just wanted to participate in a thread dedicated to what should be one of the greatest CRPGs fucking ever.

PC Collector's Edition for me, ftw.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
What's so great about the Collectors Edition?

You guys gonna give these publishers the excuse of charging us 70 bucks a game the generation following next-generation?

Just say no to drugs...err Collectors Editions.

Speevy said:
Xbox 360 owners: Who's using custom soundtracks for exploration and who's sticking with the original soundtrack?

Depends. If the soundtrack is dynamic and changes during whats going on, adding ambience to the game, then no custom soundtracks for me.

Rush, They Might Be Giants, Led Zeppelin, The Police,... probably won't fit very well anyhow.

Dr_Cogent said:

You guys gonna give these publishers the excuse of charging us 70 bucks a game the generation following next-generation?

Just say no to drugs...err Collectors Editions.

Depends. If the soundtrack is dynamic and changes during whats going on, adding ambience to the game, then no custom soundtracks for me.

Rush, They Might Be Giants, Led Zeppelin, The Police,... probably won't fit very well anyhow.

well, I want the CE for the pocket guide, making of dvd and the coin.. I shudder at the prospect of paying $60 for a PC game, but considering how much I'll get out of this one.. I think it might actually be worth it

$70 for the 360 one, however.. is too pricy.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Sexy box + Septim + Making of DVD + 112 (!) page Guide to Oblivion booklet = far from some bullshit hack of a CE. This is no BLACK Special Edition. Worth it, maybe not for some, but this is about the last game I'd choose to attack for being a "bullshit 10 dollar more copout" by greedy publishers.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Sexy box + Septim + Making of DVD + 112 (!) page Guide to Oblivion booklet = far from some bullshit hack of a CE. This is no BLACK Special Edition. Worth it, maybe not for some, but this is about the last game I'd choose to attack for being a "bullshit 10 dollar more copout" by greedy publishers.

Cmon, the box doesn't cost them any more to make. It's just different.

The guide, small potatoes. Pennies on the dollar I am confident.

The coin? Pennies on the dollar or even less.

Making of DVD? Cheap as hell as well.

No way in hell does any of that stuff warrant 10 extra dollars. You guys are getting taken for a ride IMO.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Dr_Cogent said:

No way in hell does any of that stuff warrant 10 extra dollars. You guys are getting taken for a ride IMO.

I'm with Dr_Cogent on this one, I buy Special Editions most of the time, but this sucks for an extra $10, throw in a cloth map and soundtrack I might consider it, as it stands.. no thanks :)

Meanwhile, i'm still looking for a website with free next day, Gamestop might run it so i'm keeping an eye out. If anybody knows any websites with a similar deal (I'll take 2nd day) post it or PM me.

SteveMeister said:
Not really, it was a pretty major production, done by thinkfilm. It's all about us getting ready for E3. It's not just one of the guys walking around with a video camera :)

Does Todd come out a lot on the DVD? That man is quite hilarious. :D

By the way, I got my issue of OXM today. The Unicorn looks AMAZING.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SteveMeister said:
Not really, it was a pretty major production, done by thinkfilm. It's all about us getting ready for E3. It's not just one of the guys walking around with a video camera :)

Well, Steve, I still can't agree that it justifies 10 bucks extra. With that, I'm not going to argue the point any further.

GhaleonEB

Dr_Cogent said:

You're talking manufacturing costs. The value put into them - designing and creating those 112 pages, for example - are a little different. For $10 it's a steal. What would the coin, DVD and book go for is they offered them seperate in some store? Great LE.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Dr_Cogent said:
Well, Steve, I still can't agree that it justifies 10 bucks extra. With that, I'm not going to argue the point any further.

Oh that's fine, I'm just sayin' that making the documentary wasn't a small thing :)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
You're talking manufacturing costs. The value put into them - designing and creating those 112 pages, for example - are a little different. For $10 it's a steal. What would the coin, DVD and book go for is they offered them seperate in some store? Great LE.

PM me if you want to discuss it between ourselves. I don't want to derail this thread into a CE vs. non CE debate.

Anyhow, I am still planning on getting this for my 360. I hope the framerate is better than what some people were letting on in some of the previews. Even if it's not, I will still get it most likely. I need a good time sucker on my 360. I'm in the Sahara Desert of gaming right now. It's a drought!

GhaleonEB

Dr_Cogent said:
PM me if you want to discuss it between ourselves. I don't want to derail this thread into a CE vs. non CE debate.

Anyhow, I am still planning on getting this for my 360. I hope the framerate is better than what some people were letting on in some of the previews. Even if it's not, I will still get it most likely. I need a good time sucker on my 360. I'm in the Sahara Desert of gaming right now. It's a drought!
I don't see how this discussion derails anything since it's in the official Oblivion thread...but I'll drop it. It was my only post on the topic, anyways!

Anyhoo - I hope the LE is still available when I pick up my 360 in a few months.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Fallofmart said:
Check my post above yours ;) and I'm paying 50gbp! That's what, $87

I'm paying just over £40 thanks to some online code that gave me £10 off a spend of £49.99 at GAME's website. I couldn't say no to the collectors edition, not at that price.

Speevy said:
Xbox 360 owners: Who's using custom soundtracks for exploration and who's sticking with the original soundtrack?

I have a ton of my favourite classical and orchestrated music ready for when the Oblivion game soundtrack starts to get repetative :) Speaking of which, does anybody know how much music has been recorded for Oblivion?

Scott

Has there been any word on how limited of a print run the Collector's Edition will receive (360, specifically)? SteveMeister, do you know? Or better yet, can you say? :p

I guess I just want to know: Will I need to pre-order to ensure I get a copy, or will I be able to pick a copy up a week or two after release, when I could more readily afford it?

Yusaku

Scott said:
Has there been any word on how limited of a print run the Collector's Edition will receive (360, specifically)? SteveMeister, do you know? Or better yet, can you say? :p

I guess I just want to know: Will I need to pre-order to ensure I get a copy, or will I be able to pick a copy up a week or two after release, when I could more readily afford it?

Has there ever been a limited or collectors edition of a game that was actually limited or collectable?

neptunes

Going to trade pdz in for this, not sure if the collectors edition is worth it.

will the guide be helpful at all?

commissar

I think the guide is just backstory and stuff.

I must admit I'm a little disappointed there isn't some sort of in-game extra for the LE. That would be super awesome :3
In any case, I've got it preordered for PC.

VALIS

Tisan said:
I think the guide is just backstory and stuff.

Hmm. Checks EB...

Pocket Guide to the Empire - A 112 page guide to every aspect of Tamriel, including its people, provinces and much more.

By george, I think you're right. I don't know why I assumed it was a mini-strategy guide. Oh well, f that, I'm gonna cancel my pre-order for the CE and just get the regular edition.

Pellham

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:

What's wrong with supporting your most anticipated game of the year?

If Bethesda wanted to retail the regular version of the game for $100, I would still buy it.

Dr_Cogent said:

$10 is how much I typically spend for lunch. You can't seriously be putting that much value into $10.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yusaku said:
Has there ever been a limited or collectors edition of a game that was actually limited or collectable?
Only one I can think of is UT2004. There were about 20,000 copies or so and it virtually sold out everywhere day one. As for console games, though, I can't think of any.

Pellham

Banned
vatstep said:
Only one I can think of is UT2004. There were about 20,000 copies or so and it virtually sold out everywhere day one. As for console games, though, I can't think of any.

Plenty of Japan-only games, so I guess there's no point in listing them.
And what about Working Designs' limited editions?

A 112 pg book with art and backstory is no joke. If this was bundled in with some wacky jappy game like final fantasy no one here would be complaining about the price.

Captain N

Kabuki Waq said:
A 112 pg book with art and backstory is no joke. If this was bundled in with some wacky jappy game like final fantasy no one here would be complaining about the price.

I agree..if it was with Final Fantasy it would get everyone wet in their pants. I've got no problem paying an extra ten dollars for it even when I'm already paying $60 for the game itself.

Pellham

Banned
BTW anyone who thinks a 112 page printed book costs less than a dollar to print (for the author/company, not for the printer) has no clue about anything.

Captain N

So we move away from the whole 10 dollar debate...What view will everyone be using? I mainly used the third person view. I've got no doubt there will be a lot of pre-played copies of this game at a bunch of different stores the first few days. I have a feeling a lot of people who buy this game on the 360 just won't get into it and send it right back to the store or pop it on ebay.

I was going to get the regular edition, but now that I know the booklet is actually full of backstory and information about the world I'm a lot more interested than when I thought it was a strategy guide.

Pity it's an extra £10 here in the UK. (£10=$17!!)

neptunes

Captain N said:
So we move away from the whole 10 dollar debate...What view will everyone be using? I mainly used the third person view. I've got no doubt there will be a lot of pre-played copies of this game at a bunch of different stores the first few days. I have a feeling a lot of people who buy this game on the 360 just won't get into it and send it right back to the store or pop it on ebay.
I'll constantly be switching views based on my mood.

Whats the EU release date?? I need new Xdude 360 games, I still have only CoD2 and PGR3. :( Well, this, GRAW and maybe Outfit are going to be mine. :)

syllogism

Project Midway said:
Whats the EU release date?? I need new Xdude 360 games, I still have only CoD2 and PGR3. :( Well, this, GRAW and maybe Outfit are going to be mine. :)

"The date in Europe may be a few days after, but it should be that week pretty much everywhere."

eso76

Project Midway said:

The official press release states it will be available the same week (20-25 march) both in us and europe.
Now i'd like 2k games to clarify things about localization..

GOTYEST !

Captain N

neptunes said:
I'll constantly be switching views based on my mood.

I'll probably end up doing the same exact thing..I'll start out in third person and see how it works and switch to first person for battles...or not.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Steve,

What is the map interface like in the game? Is it a fullscreen map that allows you to make notes on it?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
VALIS said:
Any other suckers pre-order or will be getting the $70 ($60 on PC) Collectors Edition with the pocket guide and gold coin? Please say yes to make me feel better for spending $70 on one game.

I got the collectors ed as well.

Birbo

When I pick up GRAW next week I'm going to put money down on this. Was kinda leaning towards the regular edition but I think you guys may have sold me on the LE. What's another $10, right?

I feel kind of bad that I never finished Morrowind. Really loved the game and spent dozens of hours playing it. But I've had two kids since Morrowind came out and had to put it down for too long. Tried to pick it back up many months later but was just lost. Plus by then I had an even larger backlog of games to play.

Morrowind is my Rushmore.

That said, I'm really looking forward to Obilivion!

SteveMeister, do you know if the 360 version is region coded? I'm living in Japan right now, and would love to pick this up at a import shop next time I'm in Tokyo.

Top Bottom