• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S2| You guys look like shit - Wednesdays on Syfy

The Ringer: ‘The Expanse' Steals Gracefully From All Your Favorite Shows

This sentiment has been articulated over and over in the age of reboots, sequels, and franchises, but it bears repeating: You don't really want a new Star Wars movie, or a Firefly reunion, or a Game of Thrones spinoff — you want something new that made you feel the way your original favorite did.

SyFy's The Expanse will make you feel the way your original favorite did. You notice how I didn't specify which original favorite? That's because it doesn't matter what your original favorite is; The Expanse will take you back to the way you felt at the Battle of the Blackwater, or when they revealed the final five Cylons, or when Mal threatened to throw Jayne out the airlock.
More in the link.

Zoe

Ah, a decent gif was finally posted to imgur.

s2cViZJ.gif

Kadayi

Banned
That was a cracking episode. Holden going full Ahab, shit getting real on Ganymede and the Cucumber sandwiches bit, which was a joyous moment of levity.

Holden is a shit head. He could of saved all those people if he wasn't so bent on killing that one protomolecule, when the scientist said there's a whole bunch of them.

Holden is a shit head. He could of saved all those people if he wasn't so bent on killing that one protomolecule, when the scientist said there's a whole bunch of them.

and the ironic thing now is that its hitched a ride on his ship, so he is literally delivering destruction to wherever he goes next.

I know Naomi's gonna forgive him but if he had gone along to help the refugees they probably could have saved all of them.

That was a great scene with the big belter giving his speech on how they are belters and look out for each other, and his little hand up to the glass as the door closes was amazing.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
To be fair he didn't know that the ship was low on air, comms were down by the time they realized so they couldn't contact the Rocinante.

Carn82

I think series-Holden is getting more interesting than the book-Holden, the book version is a bit too much 'cliché good guy hero'.

nOoblet16

Expanse Season 3 OT: You people are shit magnets/Don't talk down to me, plant guy

Anyhow what was the reason for them not being able to dock with the station again? The station wasn't destroyed from what I understand, it was just running out of power or something but surely if that was the case the Rico could have gone back and taken the people left behind.

Also is everyone, including the MCRN is aware of Rocinate's martian make ?

Expanse Season 3 OT: You people are shit magnets/Don't talk down to me, plant guy

Anyhow what was the reason for them not being able to dock with the station again? The station wasn't destroyed from what I understand, it was just running out of power or something but surely if that was the case the Rico could have gone back and taken the people left behind.

Also is everyone, including the MCRN is aware of Rocinate's martian make ?

Not a bad OT title, but i'll disagree if it ends on how it damn well should:
We need to talk

Stellar fucking episode. Had everything.

Through Errwinright was a goner the minute he got that extra character develoment and storyline with his son, but glad to be wrong. Completely threw me in a loop. From the previous setup it looked like he was about to have a small change of heart and redemption, but nooo.....

Yeah, that was an impressive swerve. Yikes Errwinright.

Tired of Holden's shit tonight.

Aside from that, mighty fine EP!

Yup, felt bad for Alex this week, he was right most of those times when Holden was biting his head off.

Was another fantastic episode!

I really like the chemistry between Bobby and Captain Boomerang.

This. Their scenes were a lot of fun.

suzu

Good ep. TV Errinwright had me thinking he had a change of heart. haha

<3 the trio of Avasarala, Bobbie, and Cotyar.

Yeah Errinwright's turn to absolute villain was gold, and its great because you can totally SEE his justification - Avasarala is trying to make peace with Mars, she is meeting with the dude who gave Mars their weapon, she is more a diplomat than a war person so his ultimatum to Mao was in line with his thinking of "welp, I gotta do what I gotta do to save Earth."

Also if you haven't played it yet I would HIGHLY recommend Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare single player campaign. Its Mars (bad guys) vs Earth (you), and the real Jon Snow plays the villain so its a great little vignette on similar themes in this show. You also get to fly a ship so thats real fun.

I liked how the show packs characters into cluster groups to make the narrative manageable and makes those work. That Bobbie cucumber assault was wonderful. I hope she sticks with the under-secretary for a bit.
Also, that walk-in like she owned the place (and a different wardrobe -I think- from the previous shot, but okay). This episode was great.

Also,
I kept wondering 'when is it going to be on the ship' during that chase and in those last few seconds... how the hell did it get over there? Smart move for a stowaway though.

Sir Doom

Ha. I love Christian's group especially that take off from Earth exchange.

Nice to see Holden's character development.

Amos blazed during the missile explosion &#128514;

cazar

Neo Member
The last episode was awesome and so nice to see the scenes from book played out even if theres some substantial changes from the book. What I am wondering is the Chrisjens bodyguard basically good version of Soren from the book? I guess book 2 will be wrapped maybe around episode 3 or 4 in 3rd season since plenty stuff yet to happen.

RS4-

I liked how the show packs characters into cluster groups to make the narrative manageable and makes those work. That Bobbie cucumber assault was wonderful. I hope she sticks with the under-secretary for a bit.
Also, that walk-in like she owned the place (and a different wardrobe -I think- from the previous shot, but okay). This episode was great.

Also,
I kept wondering 'when is it going to be on the ship' during that chase and in those last few seconds... how the hell did it get over there? Smart move for a stowaway though.

The Roci was in a tight spot, all the AG Dome structural damage and framework allowed it get onboard.

They'll probably start the next ep with alarms going off because of a hull breach.

edit - forgot that they took some damage from the missile shrapnel that could've caused a breach that they ignore.

CSJ

The Roci was in a tight spot, all the AG Dome structural damage and framework allowed it get onboard.

They'll probably start the next ep with alarms going off because of a hull breach.

edit - forgot that they took some damage from the missile shrapnel that could've caused a breach that they ignore.

It also looked really big in the shot, albeit a portion of it, I looked up some roci size comparisons and if that thing is human sized, it looked all off.

99Luffy

Banned
Just started this series. Amazing so far and I wasnt a fan of BSG.

Id say my only complaints so far is that the show seems like its missing alot of detail that was probably in the books, or it goes through it really fast. Do the ships go into some kind of warp? I mustve had my head turned when they explained that. Also, Thomas Janes hair and hat just look ridiculous.

wildfire

Banned
Yeah Errinwright's turn to absolute villain was gold, and its great because you can totally SEE his justification - Avasarala is trying to make peace with Mars, she is meeting with the dude who gave Mars their weapon, she is more a diplomat than a war person so his ultimatum to Mao was in line with his thinking of "welp, I gotta do what I gotta do to save Earth."

Also if you haven't played it yet I would HIGHLY recommend Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare single player campaign. Its Mars (bad guys) vs Earth (you), and the real Jon Snow plays the villain so its a great little vignette on similar themes in this show. You also get to fly a ship so thats real fun.

Even before we were born, before our ancestors immigrated to our new home, Earthers have dreamed of keeping Mars under its heel. Let's show them that fantasy is not real life!

Jackpot

Banned

Id say my only complaints so far is that the show seems like its missing alot of detail that was probably in the books, or it goes through it really fast. Do the ships go into some kind of warp? I mustve had my head turned when they explained that. Also, Thomas Janes hair and hat just look ridiculous.

Inter-planetary ships have Epstein drives, that are incredibly fuel-efficient fusion drives. It means you can constantly accelerate then flip half way through to decelerate.

wildfire

Banned

They literally started an episode with how the inventor of the Epstein drive "died"* and his wife inherited his backup blueprints once it was figured out why he went missing.

*That whole sequence screams to me
I'm the reason the protomolecule was thrown into our solar system

Crispy75

Avasarala's outfits are always on point.
Costume department must love it.

Space suit
Space suit
Space suit
Overalls
Space suit
Overalls
Space overalls
Spacesuit
FABULOUS DRESS! OMG! ALL THE SEQUINS. ALL THE BROCADE. BRING ME ALL THE SILK IN CHINA.

DieH@rd

Banned
Costume department must love it.

Space suit
Space suit
Space suit
Overalls
Space suit
Overalls
Space overalls
Spacesuit
FABULOUS DRESS! OMG! ALL THE SEQUINS. ALL THE BROCADE. BRING ME ALL THE SILK IN CHINA.

Adam Savage visited costume department, they showed him all the work with the dirty and grimey suits, and then a lot of the Avasarala colourful dresses. It's up on Tested yt channel.

pa22word

I was pretty disappointed in how they handled the action scene where Prax has the gun and accidentally starts the fight. That section of the book was awesome.

Here it was just like ehhh boom wham its done =\

Probably the most memorable action set piece of the second book other than the section with
Bobbie in the power armor that's presumably about to pop up in the next episode.
Kind of a shame because I was really excited to see how they translated it to the screen.

pa22word

It helps that the authors are apart of the shows writing team. Going by the interviews with Adam Savage they get quite a bit of input into how the show looks and feels along with its direction.

While the last couple of books have been starting to drag a bit, you gotta admire their hustle. Doing the TV shows and still popping those books out faster than greased lightning.

At this rate they may finish the series before GRRM gets Winds out >.>

I think series-Holden is getting more interesting than the book-Holden, the book version is a bit too much 'cliché good guy hero'.

?

He goes through this same character arc in the second book.

DieH@rd

Banned
It helps that the authors are apart of the shows writing team. Going by the interviews with Adam Savage they get quite a bit of input into how the show looks and feels along with its direction.

I just hope that their book writing schedule will not be too much affected.

Poor Amos, he looked so resigned to his fate when the torpedo was coming in, he was probably just glad he would die doing something good. Between that and Bobbie being all smug 'heh, look at them being punished by gravity for a change' during launch there was good Acting While Trapped Into A Seat going on.

Also forgot a huge reveal in this episode that everyones glossed over: Cotyar (her spy aide) was directly responsible for Avasarala's son dying. WHOAH. Thats heavy man - he feels a huge debt to her which pretty much guarantees he will ALWAYS be loyal to her, and she works with him just fine and still blames herself for her son's death, not him.

Top Bottom