• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The future of NPD info on NeoGAF (Update)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hi folks. So I've been in contact with the NPD Group.

As you all know they've asked us to not post the full NPD data, so we won't be doing that anymore (it's their intellectual property after all). This isn't the end of NPD info on GAF directly, however; upon request, each month (on the day the data gets dropped) NPD will provide me with:

NPD Group said:
a synopsis of the market, which includes the Top 20 with unit sales, install base LTD and monthly for each platform

Yeah, so that sort of stuff shows up on other sites too. But that's not the end of it:

NPD Group said:
Also, I wouldn't be against answering a few requests each month for data like we do for our elite media outlets. In other words, if you wanted to start a thread about licensed titles, I cold pull data for you and provide it to give your readers something to write about [within reason].

So there you have it. Not a bad situation, eh?

Nutter

Yeah, so that sort of stuff shows up on other sites too. But that's not the end of it:

But don't those sites usually get their info from GAF in the first place? :lol
(obviously not including the sites that get their info straight from NPD like gamedaily and gamespot and etc.)

But yes the new NPD will be suffice for GAF. (It was basically like that in the first place; unless someone posted actual sales)

Grayman

top 20 is nice, how much more did we post before usually? I just scanned through the threads and everything we are "allowed now" is what i noticed. I guess we won't get fun facts like "god of war sells 500 per week" now?

no LTD for software included?

mood

Yeah thats great and is what the majority of what everyone looks forward to anyway. :)

Hope it starts with this months data :D

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
cool, that's the stuff i mainly was interested anyway =p

but finding out stuff about particular titles will become harder though...

davepoobond

Grayman said:
top 20 is nice, how much more did we post before usually? I just scanned through the threads and everything we are "allowed now" is what i noticed. I guess we won't get fun facts like "god of war sells 500 per week" now?

no LTD for software included?

i'm pretty sure LTD an be figured out based on monthly data after a certain point once the charts are filled will games that were released after the NPD this new "program" starts

Nutter

davepoobond said:
but finding out stuff about particular titles will become harder though...
Well they (NPD) did say they will take requests for those special titles.
Also, I wouldn't be against answering a few requests each month for data like we do for our elite media outlets. In other words, if you wanted to start a thread about licensed titles, I cold pull data for you and provide it to give your readers something to write about [within reason].

Grayman

davepoobond said:
i'm pretty sure LTD an be figured out based on monthly data after a certain point once the charts are filled will games that were released after the NPD this new "program" starts
yes people could, but that is more work than just having the number included if the game is top 20 and a month old.

davepoobond

Nutter said:
Well they (NPD) did say they will take requests for those special titles.

harder =x= impossible ;)

i always looked at what FFVII sold month after month just out of curiousity. but its not important enough for me to "make a special request" for the data, especially when something more interesting is available for request, which is already very gracious of them to be doing in the first place

duckroll

I was expecting a total banhammer on NPD sales data considering how much we've been abusing subscription information freely here. That's really surprisingly nice of them to compromise with us so we can continue to discuss the market without having to infringe on their bread and butter. Good news all around. :D

Sean

Banned
Awesome, that's really cool of them.

They said they'd answer requests for a few games too, so perhaps a good way to handle this would be to make a poll and see what games people want numbers for the most.

Brashnir

Sounds fair to me. Thanks for working with them, and thanks NPD for continuing to allow us some of our fanboy fun.

tetsuoxb

I really have to say that NPD is doing one of the classiest things I have seen a company do in one of these situations. A C&D letter would have done the trick, but instead they do the extra mile for a group that will most likely never afford and thus purchase their goods or services.

Well done NPD.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
That's a good agreement.

I like their offer to pool data on specific aspects of sales should people want to discuss them. Perhaps the month's biggest bombs would be appropriate!

Ashodin

NPD gets SERIOUS BUSINESS on GAF.

Very great compromises, however! Glad we're still getting the Top 20. Software sales must be seen!

NeonZ

Great news :)

Usually, I don't actually post in sales threads, but they're always informative and quite fun to read!

AniHawk

MrSardonic said:
That's a good agreement.

I like their offer to pool data on specific aspects of sales should people want to discuss them. Perhaps the month's biggest bombs would be appropriate!

I think asking for all of PSP software is probably too much.

medrew

Holy shit that's awesome of them. I guess they thought they had to do something so that people wouldn't leak the data through other means, but good on them for not using brute force.

AniHawk

medrew said:
Holy shit that's awesome of them. I guess they thought they had to do something so that people wouldn't leak the data through other means, but good on them for not using brute force.
2dv1lyb.jpg

No God! Anything but that! ANYTHING BUT THAT!!

Zen

Banned
I would like to know what kind of sexual favors EviLore had to promise the NPD group and what kind of stat bonuses he gets on his diplomacy checks to have pulled off this deal.

Wow, seriously.

Top Bottom