• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The latest PS5 update added a new animation for unlocking a Platinum trophy

Doom85

James Franco Eye Roll GIF

Pretty cool actually. Also in before the “I DON’T CARE ABOUT TROPHIES!!!” comments.

jaysius

Diamond trophies(achievements) on Xbox are neater, trophies are worthless so it’s neater to know you have a rare one, than one that’s for getting all of them.

Last edited:

EN250

Love it already, at first I wasn't fond on the redesigned trophy icons, especially the Platinum one, but they grew on me, this nice touch makes it better :messenger_beaming:

Rocco Schiavone

I am terrified of Microsoft and am always concerned about them.
How about changing the trophy sound back which we began with.

Or give us some fucking themes/background options??

Last edited:

Aenima

The animation kinda looks like a nuclear mushroom poping out. Looks nice. Despite having more than 80 Platinum trophies, this year and the last i have not found much mood to go hunt Platinum trophies. Having a big backlog, just makes me move to the next game as soon as i finished the one im playing. So not sure when im gonna see the new animation poping out to me.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Diamond trponies on Xbox are neater, trophies are worthless so it’s neater to know you have a rare one, than one that’s for getting all of them.
Didn’t even know there was a diamond trophy on Xbox, but it doesn’t get more meaningless than a number.

I think the idea of rarity on PlayStation is that Platinum is the rarest, then Gold, then Silver, then Bronze.

cireza

Didn’t even know there was a diamond trophy on Xbox, but it doesn’t get more meaningless than a number.

I think the idea of rarity on PlayStation is that Platinum is the rarest, then Gold, then Silver, then Bronze.
The diamond on Xbox is an actual indicator of rarity that can change with time, whereas Bronze/Silver/Gold etc... are set by the developers when they create their game.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
The diamond on Xbox is an actual indicator of rarity that can change with time, whereas Bronze/Silver/Gold etc... are set by the developers when they create their game.
Ok? Call PlayStation’s difficulty rated then? By the Xbox rationale you could presumably have tonnes of rare achievements that are actually only rare because they are from obscure games that no one cares about?

keraj37

Ok? Call PlayStation’s difficulty rated then? By the Xbox rationale you could presumably have tonnes of rare achievements that are actually only rare because they are from obscure games that no one cares about?
It doesnt work like that. The rarity is calculated from entire pool of gamers of given game, and not by its occurance frequency in general. So rare achivment is when around 1% of all players got it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
It doesnt work like that. The rarity is calculated from entire pool of gamers of given game, and not by its occurance frequency in general. So rare achivment is when around 1% of all players got it.
So in a game like Wo Long where only 30% of players have beaten the first boss on Xbox, due to scrubs trying in on Game Pass, a lot of the achievements would be considered Rare? Whereas on PS and Steam they wouldn’t?

Trophies do it for me and always have. I can immediately see how many games I’ve gotten all trophies in as soon as I look at my profile. It also tells you the percentage of people who’ve gotten each trophy.

It’s all personal choice though.

Rayderism

Another small visual difference after this update is it will now show the USB HDD symbol in the top center of the home screen at bootup from a cold start. Let me see if I can explain what I mean, I just woke up like 10 minutes ago so bear with me.....

OK, so when you have a large USB HDD full of games hooked up to the PS5 (I use mine exclusively for PS4 games and it's got about 5 of the 8TB filled....yeah, I'm a game hoarder), you'll get that "please wait" when you try loading a game too soon after a cold boot. I've determined that it's scanning the USB drive to verify the stuff installed on it before allowing you to run any games.

It's odd that the so-called "pros" on the internet don't realize this, and think it's some kind of problem that can be solved with their silly suggestions to fix (rebuild database, reset the system, etc.) , which never worked for me and wasted tons of my time trying their "fixes" until I figured it out what's really going on. It's ALWAYS done this, and I can see the access light pulsing on the USB drive during this time and I can hear the drive scanning through itself. The more stuff installed on it, the longer it takes. Just a normal process that a game hoarder with too many games installed has to deal with.

Now it puts a USB HDD symbol in the top center during that period, so you don't have to guess when the PS5 is ready to start running games.

cireza

By the Xbox rationale you could presumably have tonnes of rare achievements that are actually only rare because they are from obscure games that no one cares about?
They will be rare if few players among the ones that played the game got the success.

artsi

Neat.

I like it when a platinum trophy pops on my screen. Call me whatever but I enjoy obtaining them, of course I enjoy the game while doing that and I don't chase trophies in bad games.

Last edited:

cireza

This is what you said afterwards, I was answering to your wrong assumption that a success would be rare if the game was niche.

You then moved on to another assumption that all success would be rare in a Game Pass game. If you were able to think about this yourself, then most probably someone at Microsoft whose work is related to success management thought about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom