• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Wow
Calamity Ganon
in Master Mode is no joke. You have to master parry and have a double attack or stat ready. Was able to beat it though!

Not sure if I want to tackle the rest of the shrines and trial of swords soon. Probably gonna wait for dlc 2.

TheMoon

Wow
Calamity Ganon
in Master Mode is no joke. You have to master parry and have a double attack or stat ready. Was able to beat it though!

Not sure if I want to tackle the rest of the shrines and trial of swords soon. Probably gonna wait for dlc 2.

Why are you spoiler tagging the final boss name which is part of the opening cutscene and premise? :D

Why are you spoiler tagging the final boss name which is part of the opening cutscene and premise? :D

I wanted the new ones to be surprised as I was lol. The battle really forces you to be perfect in normal and shield parry in master mode. Fortunately he doesn't fake the laser shots.

It got really annoying that a failed parry prolonged his life but it was worth it at the end.

Red

Wow, that seems almost an impossible task. How are you approaching this? The Ocean has TONS of chests, for example. What is the range for the radar?
It's got a pretty long range. I've almost cleared all the chests in the southeast corner of the map. I started with the ocean.

I've also still got to finish the main story quests, get the overworld boss medals, do trial of the sword, fill out the side quest log. I have all the shrines now and am still missing shrine quests. No idea where they are.

It's got a pretty long range. I've almost cleared all the chests in the southeast corner of the map. I started with the ocean.

I've also still got to finish the main story quests, get the overworld boss medals, do trial of the sword, fill out the side quest log. I have all the shrines now and am still missing shrine quests. No idea where they are.

How many shrine quests missing? I had 41/42, and the one missing was a stone with text written in it.

watershed

Banned
Everywhere I look, this game is beautiful.
DGLc69QUAAAFCNB.jpg:large

I just finished this game. I am definitely in the minority. This is one of the most disappointing games I have ever played and is up there with MGSV for me. This is probably more for me because I have been a Zelda fan for a longer amount of time. And it really pains me because I was REALLY looking forward to playing this for so long after the bad taste Skyward Sword left. I only saw the initial "Breath of the Wild trailer" from E3 2014/2015 and went on blackout. Didn't read or watch any previews or reviews on the game. But I wanted to form my own opinion and this is it. I bought a Switch for it (+ Mario Kart). It definitely looked like it was going to be another Ocarina of Time moment for Nintendo, but in my eyes, it's not even close how near perfect Ocarina of Time is/was.

Three/four (1 major, 2-3 minor) things that I genuinely enjoyed out of it was exploring the world, shield surfing and cooking/scavenging. Xenoblade Chronicles X boasted this huge open world with jack shit to do. But with this game, I found there was so much to do and places to go. Landscapes looked beautiful and loved the designs of some places.

Shield surfing, not really much to say. Shit is sick.

Cooking was surprisingly fun. It was a pain in the ass to open the menu over and over again to make something, but if it was more streamlined it would be awesome (and a recipe book from the start would be nice). Scavenging for materials was a nice touch. Always hated it previous Zelda cutting grass gave hearts. That was really dumb. Scavenging for materials to make food and potions is a welcomed change for me. I always grabbed what I could and I never had to grind for anything or had too much of something (other than Apples). Most games fail to do that and gotta applaud that.

Now for the negatives:

The combat was awful dare I say one of the worst combat systems of any action/adventure game I have ever played. I hated how I had to be taken out consistently in the middle of fighting to reequip a weapon that would last 10-20 hits. This is not how an action/adventure game should play...at all. Spin it however you want, weapon durability IS. NOT. FUN. You should not be forced to sit in menus to reequip stuff or be forced to try out all the weapons. What if I really like the Deku Sword or Zora Spear and just want to beat the game with just tha but I like the feel of it? This game is all about freedom and player choice yet this weapon system is incredibly anti player.

For the story, Zelda isn't really known for its story but even this one was incredibly weak. Characters had zero depth aside from Zelda who was actually pretty awesome. The memories gave some insight and to what she actually was/is like. She isn't the cliche damsel in distress like always which was different for a change. If there is ever a spin-off or main game starring a Zelda it should be her.

The boss fights and dungeons were...I just can't even put into words. I don't think anyone really liked them. The boss designs were just laughably bad, especially the final boss. They all looked the same and just lacked zero creativity. No memorable or stand outs like any of the bosses from previous Zelda games. The stand outs in my mind are
dragons
which aren't even bosses. They are just well placed in the map that when I found them I was holy shit wtf is that? I was floored when I got up close to it. Even in the bad Zelda games, there was at least a couple well designed fights with cool looking bosses. But this game had ZERO. Soundtrack was pretty lack luster as well, one or two good ones in there. Really liked the new renditions of the theme song.

Still, everytime I played this I just wanted to go and play Wind Waker or Ocarina of Time. Breath of the Wild didn't feel or play like a Zelda game at all. It certainly looked like one but not on a gameplay level. It just seemed to me Aonuma took more time to make this big beautiful world with tons of activities to do but forgot to make the rest of the game as high quality since everything was so spread thin.

Hate to post something as negative sounding as this in the OT but I really wanted to share my thoughts somewhere. Still floors me this game got a 96 on opencritic/Metacritic. I would say it should be in the mid 80s personally. I am willing to bet in 3-4 years, people who thought this game was the GOTY, best Zelda game, etc will ending up loathing it, just like with GTAIV. I am already starting to see it in some of the Breath of the Wild orientated threads on Gaf.

You're entitled to your opinion. The only thing I outright disagree with you on is the music. I think it's excellent for the most part. The Hateno Village daytime theme is one of my favorite pieces of video game music ever.

I've been playing this game a solid 5 months now. Beat it on Wii U, and then got a Switch. Rebought the game and DLC, and started over. I am about to beat it again, and will then start on Master Mode. I think I'll always have a play through of this game ongoing. I'm 38 years old and been gaming for 30+ years... this is in my top 5 games of all time.

Also, as an aside, I really like Skyward Sword.

Red

I've liked nearly every Zelda I have played. Many of my fondest gaming memories are with this series. I too have been playing since the first game. BotW is far and away my favorite. It is what I always hoped and imagined the series could be, a dream that was curtailed after the success of Ocarina cemented a model for other games down the line. A Link to the Past was my favorite in the series until now. As much as I've enjoyed the series, I felt removed from a real emotional involvement since then. Breath of the Wild changes that. It's such a runaway success for me on nearly every level that sometimes I stop in my daily life and think about just how miraculous it feels. It is literally as if someone took nearly all the details of this dream I've had of a perfect game and created a Zelda title out of the image.

I could not disagree more about the combat. It is far more dynamic here, and suitable for larger melees than the mostly one on one duels that have defined the series since its 3D debut. It promotes scrappy resourcefulness, which is perfectly suited to the game world. It also creates a freedom in ranged combat and vertical approaches that simply have not been possible in the series up to now. The more I play, the more I find to appreciate.

The soundtrack is again my favorite in the series, with many standout tracks. It feels more mature, better executed than any other 3D Zelda's music. It feels like more than a simple iterative lurch forward. It's a leap, a marked improvement. It feels more artfully executed in every sense, so much an evolution that it makes the approach of other 3D titles seem overly broad, even toylike in comparison.

I wish there were more larger dungeons, and I wish there were more difficult bosses. I wish there were intensive combat gauntlets throughout the overworld. I wish there were more enemy types, more varied and exacting combat. I wish it was more difficult across the board. It's not exactly my dream game. But it is as close as anything has come, and is better than even my wildest expectations going in. Its beauty is in the pink of the sunset, the sound of a creek, the whispering grass, the rolling prairies. Its most quiet moments are more memorable and more valuable to me than any number of ringing action-packed crescendos from the many other games I have played. When I think my appreciation might fade, I turn on my Switch and the amazement only grows.

It has stunned me. It astounds me that Nintendo could create this, especially as a follow up to Skyward Sword.

Boney

Banned
Weapon durability works great with how the game rewards exploration. You're always going to end up with a net positive after battles, even in Master mode if you're resourceful, so you're never really going to be stuck because of it. I think a forging/upgrade system would just be more cumbersome and would present more of a need to grind for parts without any real advantage to what we have now. Having all weapons in a straight line is a bit annoying, as having them display in a square would hasten the quick select but it's a bit of a nit pick for me. Adding more durability and having the maximum weapon slots be 10 instead of 20 might be a good middle ground but I'm not as convinced.

I've been playing through BOTW at my own place and I love the game. However, I may need to restart because I think my game is screwed. My game has a glitch where I can't find a Korok seed. In the Dueling Peaks region, above Kakariko village, where you're supposed to pick apples from trees to match each other, the tree I'm supposed to look at has zero apples on it. Did anyone else experience this glitch, and do I have to restart my game? I may only find 441 seeds since this Korok seemed to disappear.

grimmiq

You can still dodge with two handed weapons. Try boosting your stats with food and upgrading your armor. You don't ever really need hearts outside one optional item sequence.

Yeah I know you can still dodge, the issue was that if I missed 1 I had to start over, which I eventually ended up doing, but it took a lot of fun out of the combat for me. I've just been exploring lately, after finishing that beast I found Hateno Village and bought the heavy armour and went back and did some side-quests, which led me to be able to upgrade my clothes. Going in completely blind I'm missing a lot of stuff only to find it later and thinking "Wow, that would've made *blank* so much easier!". Now I think I have 11 hearts and 3 full sets of clothes upgraded once, need a few more items to upgrade my stealth set a 2nd time.

Loving the freedom though, felt a bit stupid and proud at the same time finishing a shrine where I was supposed to
put 3 chests on a pressure plate to open a gate to get a block to stand on, but not noticing until after I'd stacked the 3 chests ontop of eachother and climbed up using those.

I know how crazy it sounds. I just love the look of this game. Don't get me wrong, HZD is on a whole other level, but when I look in the distance on BOTW, I'm always impressed.

Fair enough.

I just feel like, as many have already stated, there could be more in terms of detail and lore in BOTW. The world doesn't really tell its own story/history like some here claim.

I've been playing through BOTW at my own place and I love the game. However, I may need to restart because I think my game is screwed. My game has a glitch where I can't find a Korok seed. In the Dueling Peaks region, above Kakariko village, where you're supposed to pick apples from trees to match each other, the tree I'm supposed to look at has zero apples on it. Did anyone else experience this glitch, and do I have to restart my game? I may only find 441 seeds since this Korok seemed to disappear.

The apples aren't respawning on this tree for me either. Although I wouldn't restart the game for this one error, it doesn't stop me from finding other Korok seeds. Disappointing though, yes.

I've liked nearly every Zelda I have played. Many of my fondest gaming memories are with this series. I too have been playing since the first game. BotW is far and away my favorite. It is what I always hoped and imagined the series could be, a dream that was curtailed after the success of Ocarina cemented a model for other games down the line. A Link to the Past was my favorite in the series until now. As much as I've enjoyed the series, I felt removed from a real emotional involvement since then. Breath of the Wild changes that. It's such a runaway success for me on nearly every level that sometimes I stop in my daily life and think about just how miraculous it feels. It is literally as if someone took nearly all the details of this dream I've had of a perfect game and created a Zelda title out of the image.

I could not disagree more about the combat. It is far more dynamic here, and suitable for larger melees than the mostly one on one duels that have defined the series since its 3D debut. It promotes scrappy resourcefulness, which is perfectly suited to the game world. It also creates a freedom in ranged combat and vertical approaches that simply have not been possible in the series up to now. The more I play, the more I find to appreciate.

The soundtrack is again my favorite in the series, with many standout tracks. It feels more mature, better executed than any other 3D Zelda's music. It feels like more than a simple iterative lurch forward. It's a leap, a marked improvement. It feels more artfully executed in every sense, so much an evolution that it makes the approach of other 3D titles seem overly broad, even toylike in comparison.

I wish there were more larger dungeons, and I wish there were more difficult bosses. I wish there were intensive combat gauntlets throughout the overworld. I wish there were more enemy types, more varied and exacting combat. I wish it was more difficult across the board. It's not exactly my dream game. But it is as close as anything has come, and is better than even my wildest expectations going in. Its beauty is in the pink of the sunset, the sound of a creek, the whispering grass, the rolling prairies. Its most quiet moments are more memorable and more valuable to me than any number of ringing action-packed crescendos from the many other games I have played. When I think my appreciation might fade, I turn on my Switch and the amazement only grows.

It has stunned me. It astounds me that Nintendo could create this, especially as a follow up to Skyward Sword.

yeah, this is exactly what i think about the game. It feels like such a gigantic leap that it's shocking that the game came directly after SS (even though i love SS). It really pains that we will never get a iwata asks for this game.

I have said this before but i hope this game really inspired other nintendo developers to do the same kind of leap for many franchises, new and old.

DonShula

The apples aren't respawning on this tree for me either. Although I wouldn't restart the game for this one error, it doesn't stop me from finding other Korok seeds. Disappointing though, yes.

Did you guys try chopping down the tree, saving, manually closing the game, and loading the save? That has worked for me every time I botch a Korok puzzle (pick wrong apples, run out of rocks to throw, etc.).

AorOy_s-200x150.gif

I especially agree with the bolded.

I'm 38 years old and been gaming for 30+ years... this is in my top 5 games of all time.

Same here. *high-five fellow 38-year-old life-long gamer*

DonShula

Why do I continue to burst into flames even when I have a fireproof elixir activated?

There are two levels of fireproof-ness. Elixir will get you one level, but on the top of the mountain you will need to wear the appropriate equipment as well. Past Eldin Bridge is hotter.

Or, you have a wooden weapon equipped.

Edit: at least that's what I remember...

ccbfan

What happened to the DLC Topic?

Well I just finished the final trials of the DLC and its strange to me how its so easy compared to the other trials. (Beginning trials was probably the hardest).

This trial was more of a puzzle than combat.

If you know what you're doing then you can easily past a floor with minimal damage. Even if you don't figure it out you can just brute force anyways since you get so much better food and weapons than the previous trials. As long as you can figure out 75% percent of the floors you should be good.

The hardest part is the undead thunder floors. Hardest floor for me is probably the the skeleton riders one. I died in that one a couple times (Died once more in the stage with the ice wizard, I had no idea a moblin can grab the ice wand and spam it like crazy)

The fire levels are super easy you can pretty much bullet time arrows every floor and the one you can't you conveniently have a spot you can throw bombs into a nose socket to kill the mobs. Boss fight was a joke.

Ice Stages are a little tougher since you can't bullet time every stage but then you realize you have a bunch of fire weapons and they absolutely destroy the mobs there. Plus the hardest stages you can still bullet time. Ice rock dude is even easier than fire one and Lynel you just ancient arrow.

The grassland floors are pretty much "hmm, I have these super OP arrows that's can one shot anything, oh there's less hard enemies than I have arrows, might as well use them." Hardest stage was the multiple guardians, but I'm pretty good at parrying lasers so even that ended up being easy.

Also the powered up master sword new durability completely changes the game. I went around destroying mid bosses that I used to avoid because the reward was usually not worth the cost of breaking 2-3 good weapons. The powered up master sword took them out without a recharge.

Are you me? Probably the only thing I disagree with you on is that I still consider the first game on NES to be the best entry in the series. Otherwise, I could have written this post.

TheMoon

What happened to the DLC Topic?

oh for fucks sake. toni made it, didn't he?

he asked to have his account deleted which also had all his posts and threads deleted ...of which the DLC OT was one -___-

fantastic.

I'm gonna repost an OT for it.

I thought that thread was pretty silly and even posted as much, but it's sad to see him go.

Made me step back and further realize that words really can hurt and you need to be tactful in how you approach things. Yeah, it was a weird thread, but people can be really cruel.

Chopper

There are two levels of fireproof-ness. Elixir will get you one level, but on the top of the mountain you will need to wear the appropriate equipment as well. Past Eldin Bridge is hotter.

Or, you have a wooden weapon equipped.

Edit: at least that's what I remember...
Hmmm. Well I infiltrated the Goron City, and now I have to look for a Goron in a mine. I can't get close to it, and I don't think there's been an opportunity to get hold of appropriate gear. Maybe I did have a wooden weapon. I did take all my clothes off though...

Red

Hmmm. Well I infiltrated the Goron City, and now I have to look for a Goron in a mine. I can't get close to it, and I don't think there's been an opportunity to get hold of appropriate gear. Maybe I did have a wooden weapon. I did take all my clothes off though...
Some areas are hotter than others, you may need fireproof equipment to go further (or eat yourself alive).

WolfeTone

I've started a second playthrough of this recently. Really taking my time with it and approaching everything region by region. I'll try not to move on to a new region until I've thoroughly explored the last. Hero's Path is really helpful for this.

Managed to get all Korok seeds on the Great Plateau and will try to do something similar with the next region West Necluda (Dueling Peaks).

I initially started a Master Mode playthrough but the first enemy I saw totally destroyed me and I could barely make a dent in his health before it started recovering. I could see that becoming frustrating quickly.

WolfeTone

Ugh. I'm an idiot. I'm also skint. Will I need the whole outfit?

You can receive one of the pieces as a reward for a quest in an area close to Goron City.

I remember feeling a little disappointed with not being able to find all the pieces of the fireproof armor in the area or receive them as rewards for quests after you were able to do that in the Zora Region. Especially since so many quest rewards in the game are poor to begin with.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
You can receive one of the pieces as a reward for a quest in an area close to Goron City.

I remember feeling a little disappointed with not being able to find all the pieces of the fireproof armor in the area or receive them as rewards for quests after you were able to do that in the Zora Region. Especially since so many quest rewards in the game are poor to begin with.

Not necessarily. Take for example the tiny side-quest "Playing with Cottla" in Kakariko, for which the reward is - um - rock salt. But if you keep playing with Cottla she starts dropping gems too.

Did you guys try chopping down the tree, saving, manually closing the game, and loading the save? That has worked for me every time I botch a Korok puzzle (pick wrong apples, run out of rocks to throw, etc.).

Not yet, I will try this though. It was also recommend to wait for a blood moon to respawn the apples as well.

I do hope one of these will work

DonShula

Ugh. I'm an idiot. I'm also skint. Will I need the whole outfit?

Don't feel bad. The first time I went up the mountain I did so by sprinting between hot springs and wasting meals. I thought it would be cooler when I got to Goron City. Didn't realize I had missed a stable at the foot of the mountain with info on the elixirs. I also missed the quest to get the first piece of armor. I basically did all of it wrong.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Don't feel bad. The first time I went up the mountain I did so by sprinting between hot springs and wasting meals. I thought it would be cooler when I got to Goron City. Didn't realize I had missed a stable at the foot of the mountain with info on the elixirs. I also missed the quest to get the first piece of armor. I basically did all of it wrong.

I did it the other way round. Bought elixirs ultra-cautiously at the stable, found the armour after only one bottle used.

Got 8 bottles of elixir spare if you want them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Did we all just start gaming at the same time? I'm 37, my favorite game was Ocarina of Time but this will likely dethrone it. I had soured on Nintendo too, until the switch. Hated the idea of Wii and Wii U after being a huge Nintendo fanboy. I'm hoping for ports on all the games I missed.

Red

Did we all just start gaming at the same time? I'm 37, my favorite game was Ocarina of Time but this will likely dethrone it. I had soured on Nintendo too, until the switch. Hated the idea of Wii and Wii U after being a huge Nintendo fanboy. I'm hoping for ports on all the games I missed.
What's different about the Switch for you? It feels like a clear follow up from the Wii. In many ways it feels like a second (much better) attempt at what the Wii U was meant to be.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The same thing bothered me about both systems: I felt like Nintendo was being cheap with horsepower and just going with gimmicks. I didn't have to own the most powerful consoles but I didn't want to spend my own money on weak ass hardware. A sub HD console (the Wii) was highly offensive at that stage of my life. I was that guy who spent money on his av equipment and wanted my consoles to push my gear.

The switch being basically the most powerful handheld called my attention and signaled to me that Nintendo was turning the corner away from pure gimmicks.

Also, I have kids now and I want them to own a Nintendo console.

DonShula

I'm 36. ALTTP was my favorite Zelda until BOTW. Hated the Wii concept. Loved my Wii U. Switch was going to be an auto-buy.

Top Bottom