• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Party (aka The Folder Incident) (bka Backstabbo in the Cabo)

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Fuck knows. Probably catching up with work and getting over jetlag. Like I said, give him till the end of the week.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I don't see why someone needs so much "prep time" to simply explain what happened. This stinks of shit, and you're either completely oblivious or an ass for still defending him and making up excuses for him at this point.

teiresias

boutrosinit said:
Fuck knows. Probably catching up with work and getting over jetlag. Like I said, give him till the end of the week.

Which week? I need to know if I'll be back from Thanksgiving dinner in time to see his response?

yeah wtf. If I made that kind of mistake, my first priority would be set things straight. Not "prep" for few days, lol. Its not like it takes a huge effort to contact via email and maybe transfer the money via paypal or something.

boutrosinit

Link said:
I don't see why someone needs so much "prep time" to simply explain what happened. This stinks of shit, and you're either completely oblivious or an ass for still defending him and making up excuses for him at this point.

Thank you. I truly care about your opinion of me. In fact I am crushed.

Seriously though, I haven't been able to get a hold of him. I would reserve judgement till the end of the week. That's all. If he hasn't sorted shit out by then, then he's stiffed BC. I just know him well enough to know that to organise a big party like this and stiff people is NOT his style. He was actually really excited about it and the Nintendo thing was NOT B$.

Hell, Kobun knows Rob from Nintendo, so if you want to get another source backing up the info that Rob was all set to sponsor the event, then maybe Kobun could be so kind as to mail Rob and ask him. Since he's impartial an all. And of course, whether he gives a shit.

I do know Rob. But it's really not my place to start emailing and trying to figure out the mystery -- that's Folder's job at this point.

boutrosinit

Not to figure out the mystery, just to confirm he was to show up and hook the bill.

By the way, you back in San Fran?

Yeah, I'm back.

I don't really find it relevant whether or not Folder was really planning on the party or not. The facts in evidence are that he didn't come through, didn't inform anyone of what was happening, and hasn't yet given anyone an explanation.

He could come in here and tell a very convincing and maybe even true story that could fix everything, which is pretty much the only way this is going to wind down.

duckroll

boutrosinit said:
Seriously though, I haven't been able to get a hold of him. I would reserve judgement till the end of the week. That's all. If he hasn't sorted shit out by then, then he's stiffed BC. I just know him well enough to know that to organise a big party like this and stiff people is NOT his style. He was actually really excited about it and the Nintendo thing was NOT B$.

capcomcontradict4et.jpg

MC Safety

Kobun Heat said:
Yeah, I'm back.

I don't really find it relevant whether or not Folder was really planning on the party or not. The facts in evidence are that he didn't come through, didn't inform anyone of what was happening, and hasn't yet given anyone an explanation.

He could come in here and tell a very convincing and maybe even true story that could fix everything, which is pretty much the only way this is going to wind down.

Or he could make stuff up, like he always does!

Seriously. The guy posted in this thread today. I guess he had time to do that, but not to make amends or issue an apology?

Fowler

Folder actually took the time to post in this thread... and didn't have the time to say anything of value. Like, you know, that he was too busy to give a full explanation now and needs more time to sort it out and was really sorry. Which only just confirms the general thought that he's a douchebag.

On the bright side, as many at the Cabo Cantina noted with glee, Folder not coming through means we can still hate Sp0ng!

Fifty

If he was planning a public apology, you'd think the guy would say something classier than "Oh my heavens" and leave it at that.

duckroll

Disco Stu said:
Or he could make stuff up, like he always does!

Seriously. The guy posted in this thread today. I guess he had time to do that, but not to make amends or issue an apology?
Fowler said:
Folder actually took the time to post in this thread... and didn't have the time to say anything of value. Like, you know, that he was too busy to give a full explanation now and needs more time to sort it out and was really sorry. Which only just confirms the general thought that he's a douchebag.

On the bright side, as many at the Cabo Cantina noted with glee, Folder not coming through means we can still hate Sp0ng!
Fifty said:
If he was planning a public apology, you'd think the guy would say something classier than "Oh my heavens" and leave it at that.
MrAngryFace said:
I cant even begin to imagine what he was hoping to accomplish with what he DID reply with.

capcomplease4ph.jpg

Jonnyram

Kobun Heat said:
I think he was trying to imply that we are somehow blowing this all out of proportion.
To some extent he's right. He's just an obnoxious wanker and doesn't deserve all this boardspace. There should just be a locked sticky saying "Folder is a wanker".

It is amazing how few people here seem to understand how traumatizing and debilitating jet lag really is, especially for the elderly. Maybe if he were younger, some of the comments here wouldn't be so callous, but for heaven's sake, people, he managed to drag himself over to the keyboard and to try and explain himself only to be overcome by pain and yet still you harass him.

On another note. Where are the Kids in the Hall pics? It is a failed thread without a decent KTH reference. :( “Look BuddyC, I'm just torn up about this. I'll tell you what...”

duckroll

CabbageRed said:
It is amazing how few people here seem to understand how traumatizing and debilitating jet lag really is, especially for the elderly. Maybe if he were younger, some of the comments here wouldn't be so callous, but for heaven's sake, people, he managed to drag himself over to the keyboard and to try and explain himself only to be overcome by pain and yet still you harass him.

capcomrecord4gq.jpg

aoi tsuki

mmlemay said:
I'm the one that was previously known as Viper around here and other parts. Just so you know, I never wrote that or even knew Fernando. I was so young that I barely even remember the circumstances around that debacle, except for it was the handiwork of Lee Rogers, who used to run those sites that I worked for. There was the possibility that it was published under my name, but I don't even think that was the case, either. Lee wasn't a bad guy at all in person, he just came across as a dick online and he did a few bad things which I'm sure he regrets.

Seth was right. I was a bit of a know-it-all dick, but hey, I was 17 at the time. However, like some of the other people that I worked with, I truly did what I did because I truly loved (and love) games. I already got all the free game time that I wanted through my job at EB, and writing was just for the love of it.

Seth is a friend of mine, a really cool guy, and I'm sorry I missed out on E3 this year. Business called, though, and I could not get a week off. And I'm sorry to anyone who still thinks badly of me, even 7-8 years later, for something that I was a part of.

I miss the old Sega and GEO boards. Those were the days. There are so many people working in the video game industry that came from that pool...
Yeah, the name "Lee Rogers" sounds familiar as well. It could have been that he wrote it, you commented in pseudo agreement, and your name got mixed in with the bunch. In any case, i'm not holding a grudge. It happened so long ago, but it's just one of those things that sticks out in my mind.

And yeah, i miss the old days and boards. EGS, HG forums, NG forums, etc. The internet was such a smaller place then, and even lurkers like me felt like it was a place where everyone knew everyone else. i wish i could return to those days of innocence. ;)

Considering the "Folder Incident", it just really boggles the mind that someone would do something like this. Posting rumors as news is one thing, but lying about something like this is another. It just creates a negative attitude in the game journalist/enthusiast community, and grounds for bitterness and asskicking the next time paths cross. Even if it were a misunderstanding, Folder's silence is damning.

At least everyone managed to have a good time.

ourumov

demi said:
You get NO LOVE from me, BuddyC. I'm WELL AWARE of your game! NOT THIS TIME.
For a moment I remembered a story involving AlphaSnake, Serafitia and BuddyC...I doubt this is part II...

Odnetnin

Banned
If Folder doesn't come back to BuddyC by the end of the week or this thread. Permaban the bitch, the word SPONG and move on. And the guys who drank up paypal money.

2 weeks is more than enough time to resolve this. That and someone let ROB at Nintendo know how Folder used his name + Nintendo in this fiasco. Bad PR is bad PR.

Folder can sell his E3 swag to pay the bills. Bitch.

i love how random this thread gets if you skip a few pages. is that my face i saw in the animated gif?

someone should make an animated gif of my rotating ass, and set it up so that folders face slams into it or something.

3phemeral

It's a good thing I didn't show up with my friends -- they were ready to drink a ton when we arrived. Thankfully, after the FF concert, I was hungry as heck and we ate at an IHOP near my house and chatted until 1am.

Truly sorry about your situation, BC -- hope things get resolved for you relatively soon.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Johnny Nighttrain said:
i love how random this thread gets if you skip a few pages. is that my face i saw in the animated gif?

someone should make an animated gif of my rotating ass, and set it up so that folders face slams into it or something.

:lol

3phemeral

JackFrost2012 said:
Hey, EphemeralMix, I was PictoChatting with you at the Dear Friends concert!

In other news, Folder is a twat.

Yea, my friend told me she was chatting with some of you. She thought, "hey, Adam talks about GAF all the time. Let's write "GAF ROCKS" or something. Wish I could have met you guys, but I only saw fugimax, who sat right behind me. She mentioned you guys were pretty funny. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Folder could simply have posted 'shit, it got fucked up. I'll try and sort something out this week'. Job done.

But no. He's a drama queen at best, and he goes defensive at the slightest thing. So of course he won't keep things simple and let it calm down.

It's pretty simple what happened. Rob couldn't make it on Monday night due to a Nintendo prior engagement, and "Folder", instead of turning up by himself and shouldering the responsibility/drinks bill, didn't bother to go at all. Bit harsh on you guys I reckon - sorry on behalf of Nintendo!!

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Gaybrush Threepio said:
It's pretty simple what happened. Rob couldn't make it on Monday night due to a Nintendo prior engagement, and "Folder", instead of turning up by himself and shouldering the responsibility/drinks bill, didn't bother to go at all. Bit harsh on you guys I reckon - sorry on behalf of Nintendo!!
So is rob going to cover the bill?

duckroll

olubode said:
So is rob going to cover the bill?

I don't think it should be Rob's responsibility since it seems Folder knew that Rob wouldn't be turning up either. He should have just posted a message or let someone know that the party was off and that was that. Instead he decided to be the dipshit he always is. Rob's not at fault here, he didn't organize it, Folder did.

Folder was the one who set this up and hyped it on GAF for days, so when it fell through, responsibility fell on his shoulders.

He may not feel he owes us an apology (and he might not, for all I know), but he sure as hell owes everyone an explanation.

Chittagong

Gaybrush Threepio said:

infiltration.jpg

PS. Does you nickname confirm what they say about Tingle?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Yeah what are those Phoenix Wright cartoons that folks keep posting... that seem to apply to this?

Odnetnin

Banned
DarienA said:
Yeah what are those Phoenix Wright cartoons that folks keep posting... that seem to apply to this?

it a DS game not cartoon.

They're refering to the persecution of Folder by the GAF kangeroo court. Every asshole has their day in court, even Folder.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How does 'Rob' turning up affect whether he pays for it? Is it only a Nintendo-sponsored affair if he gets to go?

If Folder organised it, and got the OK from Rob that Nintendo would pay, then Folder just turns up, pays and gets Rob to cover it later.

Maybe Folder did turn up to tell everyone it was off, saw everyone drinking merrily and legged it.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
CabbageRed said:
On another note. Where are the Kids in the Hall pics? It is a failed thread without a decent KTH reference. :( “Look BuddyC, I'm just torn up about this. I'll tell you what...”
mcdonald_kevin2.jpg

BuddyC: "You were supposed to show up and cover the tab!"

Folder: "Slipped my mind. Tell you what I'll do. Tomorrow, we'll have a GAF meetup at the same bar. I'll pay for the tab. I'll lend you my movies. And you'll hear news about a new Game Boy that's more powerful than a thousand suns."

human5892 said:

Folder: "Slipped my mind. Tell you what I'll do. Tomorrow, we'll have a GAF meetup at the same bar. I'll pay for the tab. I'll lend you my movies. And you'll hear news about a new Game Boy that's more powerful than a thousand suns."

:lol Perfect.

Fowler

C'mon, Folder never intended to go. The party took place at the same time as Microsoft's -- he was probably there the entire time. I mean, he HAD to be there to cover the conference beforehand for Sp0ng, right?

human5892 said:
mcdonald_kevin2.jpg

:lol :lol

Teddman

Fowler said:
C'mon, Folder never intended to go. The party took place at the same time as Microsoft's -- he was probably there the entire time. I mean, he HAD to be there to cover the conference beforehand for Sp0ng, right?
This much is confirmed, that he was at the Microsoft party, that is. Fishie was there and said he saw Folder drinking it up and having a good old time until he left quite late in the evening.

Teddman said:
This much is confirmed, that he was at the Microsoft party, that is. Fishie was there and said he saw Folder drinking it up and having a good old time until he left quite late in the evening.
Except for when he ducked out and stuck his head in the Cabo at 10:30, right?

android

Theoretical Magician
human5892 said:
mcdonald_kevin2.jpg

:lol

Teddman said:

:lol :lol

Top Bottom