• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'll be calling HiFiMAN tomorrow to see, but if I'm gonna have to pay +$100 to ship it to China, I might as well invest in a new pair of headphones or try to repair the HE-400 myself.

I'm ngl if I see the LCD2 for $600-700 I might bite.

I've had HiFiMANs repaired before, they have a service site in the US to which you'd ship.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Bought a new Macbook Pro and got Beats Solo 3 for free with it o.o" I'll receive them in two weeks. well let's wait and see how they're. I've to say I'm pretty happy with my beats X, so happy that I leave my Westone UM2 at home most of the time now. I know Beats are not well liked here, but hey they're free!

Let's wait and hear.

phoenixyz

Bought a new Macbook Pro and got Beats Solo 3 for free with it o.o" I'll receive them in two weeks. well let's wait and see how they're. I've to say I'm pretty happy with my beats X, so happy that I leave my Westone UM2 at home most of the time now. I know Beats are not well liked here, but hey they're free!

Let's wait and hear.

Sell them as new and buy a decent pair :)

Prez

Can I test and compare the HD600 and HD650 without a headphone amp? I'm testing them tomorrow but I'm still waiting for the amp I've ordered (Fiio A5).

Shredderi

I'm in the market for a new wireless headset and I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions? I have Sony Gold Wireless and to no one's surprise, they're slowly breaking down. It's held together by tape for now.

Things I want from the headset:
- Wireless .I know, worse audio quality but this is a quality of life thing since I love to roam around my apt. and do stuff while listening
-Comfy
-Decent mic for voice chat
-Decent sound for fps games
-200e at the most
-All around better than the Sony Golds

I already bought ATH-m40x and HM5 pads for it and use that for audio/music producing so the headset doesn't have to be flat and accurate as much, so I could take more "fun" sounding cans for these.

I have of course done some research on this and I've seen things like Steelseries Arctis 7 thrown around.

matmanx1

Can I test and compare the HD600 and HD650 without a headphone amp? I'm testing them tomorrow but I'm still waiting for the amp I've ordered (Fiio A5).

Yes but they will both sound much, much better on even a modest amp and can be phenomenal on a great amp. They both scale incredibly well with better gear.

Prez

Yes but they will both sound much, much better on even a modest amp and can be phenomenal on a great amp. They both scale incredibly well with better gear.

The store had a headphone amp to test out both the HD650 and HD600. To me it sounded like the HD600 had a greater soundstage, the HD650 sounded a bit veiled but more relaxed which I usually prefer. The grip of the HD650 is very tight though, it already felt a little uncomfortable after 5 minutes.

There was quite a bit of background noise so I'll wait for my portable amp to arrive so I can test them somewhere more quiet. The HD600 may have a bit too much treble for my taste. Not nearly as bad as the DT880 and DT990 though which sounded horrible to my ears.

matmanx1

The store had a headphone amp to test out both the HD650 and HD600. To me it sounded like the HD600 had a greater soundstage, the HD650 sounded a bit veiled but more relaxed which I usually prefer. The grip of the HD650 is very tight though, it already felt a little uncomfortable after 5 minutes.

There was quite a bit of background noise so I'll wait for my portable amp to arrive so I can test them somewhere more quiet. The HD600 may have a bit too much treble for my taste. Not nearly as bad as the DT880 and DT990 though which sounded horrible to my ears.

The famous (or infamous) Sennheiser clamp is why I don't currently own a pair. I have crazy sensitive ears so it isn't all Senn's fault. Luckily I am quite happy with my Hifiman HE-400S for my open backed headphone needs and my ZMF Eikon for daily driver duties and both of those get a long well with my sensitivities.

HiResDes

Too much treble? Aren't you coming from the 598, those are definitely brighter sounding to my ears, but I wouldn't describe either as completely bright or sibilant. You should check out the Blue Lola if you can audition them anywhere have a feeling the treble would be perfect for you.

yagal

My FiiO EX II just broke inside the headphone jack of my OnePlus 3t and luckily, I somehow managed to remove it.
So, guy, can you recommend me a good IEM under 100€? I had Piston 3 before and I wanna try something else.

Prez

Too much treble? Aren't you coming from the 598, those are definitely brighter sounding to my ears, but I wouldn't describe either as completely bright or sibilant. You should check out the Blue Lola if you can audition them anywhere have a feeling the treble would be perfect for you.

It's more about the balance between midbass and treble for me. I like a bit more midbass. The HD600 didn't sound too trebly but there was a lot of background noise, I need to reevaluate in a more quiet environment.

I only have a HD555 now.

leng jai

It's more about the balance between midbass and treble for me. I like a bit more midbass. The HD600 didn't sound too trebly but there was a lot of background noise, I need to reevaluate in a more quiet environment.

I only have a HD555 now.

I think you mean it sounds "thin" for your tastes, which generally happens when there's a lack of midbass. You would prefer the 650s by the sounds of it.

Prez

I think you mean it sounds "thin" for your tastes, which generally happens when there's a lack of midbass. You would prefer the 650s by the sounds of it.

I will still test them both. Just got my Fiio A5 headphone amp. Something strange going on thoUgh, I hear a crackling noise from the left channel every time I change tracks. Not sure if that's normal? Only happens on my smartphone, not on my USB audio interface.

LQX

Massdrop will be offering the "Massdrop CTH + SDAC DAC/amp" Monday. What a dick fucking move as I bet many would have opted for this over just the CTH. Glad I cancelled my order at the last minute.

The Massdrop CTH + SDAC DAC/amp brings two of the community’s favorite designers together in one affordable, easy-to-use package. It features the Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp, built from the ground up by the founder of Cavalli Audio, alongside the Massdrop x Grace Design Standard DAC, a collaboration with a company long known for its incredibly accurate, transparent studio gear. The result is an all-in-one unit that measures objectively well and works with a variety of driver types and impedances, including all previous Massdrop over-ear headphones.

image_details_20170906102639.png

K.Jack

Massdrop will be offering the "Massdrop CTH + SDAC DAC/amp" Monday. What a dick fucking move as I bet many would have opted for this over just the CTH. Glad I cancelled my order at the last minute.

image_details_20170906102639.png

Holy shit I'd be pissed. Da fuck?

LQX

Yeah, something tells me the uproar this might cause will get them to give those that just bought the stand-alone CTH an option to buy this instead. To have customers wait months for a product then release somewhat better edition a week later while locking them into that original purchase is terrible. Surprised such a community driven company would think to do this.

Edit- You now have the option to cancel the previous drop and reorder this.

holygeesus

Banned
Are there any audiophile quality noise-cancelling headphones? I know the well-known Sony and Bose bluetooth efforts get really good reviews, but I extensively demoed both today, taking my own source material to compare, and I was pretty underwhelmed by both. If I had to choose, the Sony have better noise-cancelling but the Bose have better audio quality and are more comfortable.

I think the Sony were in wired mode too. The Bose were definitely BT as they showed up in my phones settings. I expect bluetooth headphones to take a hit quality-wise, but not wired.

Looking for a new pair of cans after 2 years of using this:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00NW3527S/

The above used to be around $400 so I'm looking for something around the same price but willing to spend around $600. I would prefer something that I can get in Japan so I don't have to import it. My only request is that it sounds good even when using bluetooth

Menome

I've started working for Harman Audio and as a result, I'm getting an employee discount that puts the AKG line into a more affordable price-range.

I obviously want to make the most of these, so I'm re-ripping my CD library to FLAC for home-use. Going portable though, SD card space is still a minor issue. I've been told vb0 is a good way to go in comparison to 320kbps MP3, so is there a program to batch-convert my FLACs to this whilst transferring them to the SD card?

If it has to be done separately before transferring, what would the best program be in that instance? (Using Windows 10)

Thanks in advance for any help!

I got in on the Massdrop for the Sennheiser HD 6XX headphones, and I'm now looking at getting a decent DAC for my desktop computer to work alongside it.

Currently I'm looking at either the:

- JDS Element
- JDS Objective 2
- Schiit Fulla 2

Are either of these recommended, or is there a fourth and better option I should jump on?

HiResDes

I got in on the Massdrop for the Sennheiser HD 6XX headphones, and I'm now looking at getting a decent DAC for my desktop computer to work alongside it.

- JDS Element
- JDS Objective 2
- Schiit Fulla 2

Are either of these recommended, or is there a fourth and better option I should jump on?
Aune T1 or Vali 2/Modi combo if you can afford it

HiResDes

I've started working for Harman Audio and as a result, I'm getting an employee discount that puts the AKG line into a more affordable price-range.

I obviously want to make the most of these, so I'm re-ripping my CD library to FLAC for home-use. Going portable though, SD card space is still a minor issue. I've been told vb0 is a good way to go in comparison to 320kbps MP3, so is there a program to batch-convert my FLACs to this whilst transferring them to the SD card?

If it has to be done separately before transferring, what would the best program be in that instance? (Using Windows 10)

Thanks in advance for any help!
LAME

matmanx1

- JDS Element
- JDS Objective 2
- Schiit Fulla 2

What's your budget? If you can stretch a bit the Modi Multibit is peerless in terms of price to performance. If you also happen to need an amp then the Fulla 2 is quite decent for the price for an all in one unit. Otherwise Modi / Vali 2 as I am pretty firmly in the camp that thinks the Vali 2 is Schiit's best sounding amp under $500.

What's your budget? If you can stretch a bit the Modi Multibit is peerless in terms of price to performance. If you also happen to need an amp then the Fulla 2 is quite decent for the price for an all in one unit. Otherwise Modi / Vali 2 as I am pretty firmly in the camp that thinks the Vali 2 is Schiit's best sounding amp under $500.

Budget would at the max be around 300 Euro. Ideally I would want something idiot proof that is plug and play.

The less time I to spend setting stuff up the better.

Hey guys and gals,

I want to move away from using a receiver to power my headphones and use a dedicated dac + amp. I dont want to go crazy expensive here, just something I can hook up to my sound card and get good quality sound from my headphones. Any recommendations?

So I just sold my sony gold headset and replaced them with the wireless Sennheiser Momentum 2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SOM7YWI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

To my surprise Not a single console can be paired with these bluetooth headphones....(is this 2017?)

So I guess I need to get an extenseion cable to just connect them into the tv, that will be better sound quality than connect them with cable into the wireless controller right?

Or I could go with a bluetooth transmitter maybe..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P24XKS8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If its working for a 2013 lg 691c tv hmm

K.Jack

Hey guys and gals,

I want to move away from using a receiver to power my headphones and use a dedicated dac + amp. I dont want to go crazy expensive here, just something I can hook up to my sound card and get good quality sound from my headphones. Any recommendations?

Knowing your budget would help. "Crazy expensive" is very relative in this thread.

andylsun

Hey guys and gals,

What receiver are you using at the moment and how do you have it hooked up to your sound card (analogue/optical/coax).

If you want dac and amp you are basically bypassing your sound card completely, is that the intent? What sound card do you have.

Knowing your budget would help. "Crazy expensive" is very relative in this thread.

What receiver are you using at the moment and how do you have it hooked up to your sound card (analogue/optical/coax).

If you want dac and amp you are basically bypassing your sound card completely, is that the intent? What sound card do you have.

Thank you for the replies. Right now I have a pretty basic Sony receiver hooked up via digital optical to my onboard sound card on my computer with fluance bookshelf speakers and a klipsch sub. I am moving my receiver and speakers (Fluance 5.0 plus sub) back to my tv setup and will be getting a decent 2.1 speaker set for my computer but need something better than my onboard sound to power my headphones. I have AT M40x headphones right now so nothing crazy but I do know the onboard sound is not nearly enough, it sounds anemic and weak. They sound great on the receiver. I plan on upgrading to better headphones later on and need something to power them on my pc. Is a dedicated amp+dac the way to go here? It would be nice to have something to plug in to on top of my desk instead of a wire going all the way to the back of my tower.

I would like to spend up to $100.

Thank you for your time. ;)

I'm looking for a pair of in ear headphones that are decent, and have a mic that will work with the Dualshock 4 for party chat in games (to replace the mono headset when playing online).

I want in ear ones because I'll be wearing them during work, and I like to have one ear free so I can hear colleagues etc., and I only have headphones without a mic to use with my PS4, so I figure I should kill two birds with one stone.

I don't want to pay a huge amount (definitely under £100) but I'm not sure which would be best. I like the Sennheiser headphones I have, but I'm not sure what their in ear stuff is like, and I'm not familiar with other brands.

andylsun

Thank you for the replies. Right now I have a pretty basic Sony receiver hooked up via digital optical to my onboard sound card on my computer with fluance bookshelf speakers and a klipsch sub. I am moving my receiver and speakers (Fluance 5.0 plus sub) back to my tv setup and will be getting a decent 2.1 speaker set for my computer but need something better than my onboard sound to power my headphones. I have AT M40x headphones right now so nothing crazy but I do know the onboard sound is not nearly enough, it sounds anemic and weak. They sound great on the receiver. I plan on upgrading to better headphones later on and need something to power them on my pc. Is a dedicated amp+dac the way to go here? It would be nice to have something to plug in to on top of my desk instead of a wire going all the way to the back of my tower.

I would like to spend up to $100.

Thank you for your time. ;)

So without getting into DAC/Amps with optical input (and I don't know if there are any of those under $100), Schiit Fulla 2 is probably your best bet. It means you will be bypassing your sound card completely,, effectively adding a second USB sound card/DAC/amp.

Prez

Any suggestion for open headphones that are warmer/darker than the HD650? I want to compare a few to the HD650 in the store but it seems that every other headphone is brighter.

K.Jack

Any suggestion for open headphones that are warmer/darker than the HD650? I want to compare a few to the HD650 in the store but it seems that every other headphone is brighter.

Do they have an Audeze LCD-2 or Fischer Audio FA-011?

So without getting into DAC/Amps with optical input (and I don't know if there are any of those under $100), Schiit Fulla 2 is probably your best bet. It means you will be bypassing your sound card completely,, effectively adding a second USB sound card/DAC/amp.

Thanks for getting back to me. I am okay with bypassing the sound card for audio to my headphones.

I was looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LP3AMC2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Would this do the trick I am looking for?

Prez

Do they have an Audeze LCD-2 or Fischer Audio FA-011?

HE-300 and the Monoprice headphones IIRC

Unfortunately I can't test any of those out since those brands are hard to find where I live (Europe). The only brands I can compare to are Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, Shure, Sony and AKG.

I think I'd rather compare between the HD650 and a cheaper pair of headphones just to know if I can justify the price difference.

What are the warmest sounding headphones under €200?

Edit: I've been listening more to my HD555 with the Fiio A5 and I love it for listening to jazz. I don't even know if I want to upgrade anymore. I will check out some bass heavy closed headphones like Sony MDR A1 and V Moda M100 which would be a lot more suitable for hip hop and funk.

HiResDes

Unfortunately I can't test any of those out since those brands are hard to find where I live (Europe). The only brands I can compare to are Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, Shure, Sony and AKG.

I think I'd rather compare between the HD650 and a cheaper pair of headphones just to know if I can justify the price difference.

What are the warmest sounding headphones under €200?

Edit: I've been listening more to my HD555 with the Fiio A5 and I love it for listening to jazz. I don't even know if I want to upgrade anymore. I will check out some bass heavy closed headphones like Sony MDR A1 and V Moda M100 which would be a lot more suitable for hip hop and funk.
HifiMan Edition S with the backs off

Top Bottom