• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

daxy

Need some certified PSPGAF assistance here.

I ended up buying two PSPs (3000), because the second one came with a 16gb memory stick and had a decent price considering. Figured I'd sell off one of the two.

The first PSP is a vibrant blue model. It's got one dead pixel in the bottom left. Apart from that, it is practically as new. The screen has a very minor scratch.

The second PSP is a regular piano black one. It's got quite a number of light scratches on the screen that aren't visible during gameplay, except under bright lighting conditions. In addition, it's got what looks like a stuck pixel. It's hard to tell because it doesn't seem to show on bright screens and I only really noticed after like an hour of playing. When the screen goes black there's a little blue dot, to the top and a bit right of where the USB port is. Apart from that, it is also in good shape.

Now, I'm not quite sure which one I should hold on to. I think both look pretty cool. I prefer the nondescript coloring of the black one, but the blue has a really nice hue to it so I don't care that much either way. The stuck pixel on the black model is only visible 50% of the time, during dark sections. The blue one's dead pixel is visible all the time, thankfully out of your general line of sight during most games.

Which one would you keep?

edit: I decided to go with the blue one :w

Takao

Banned
http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/ange_retour/

Koei Tecmo has announced for Angelique Retour, a remake of the original romance game for PS Vita and PSP.

Possibly the final new Japanese PSP release???

Famitsu says this is due out in October. If only it came out two months later ...

Been looking into PSP rhythm games. Any reason DJMAX Portable 3 is so ungodly more expensive than every other PSP game on PSN? ($39.99)

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...le-3/cid=UP2011-ULUS10538_00-DJMAXPORTABLE333

Music licensing costs? Publisher forgot about it? Technika Tune is still at launch MSRP on Vita too, IIRC.

koopas

I have been using a 3001 for the last little while and its awesome, great picture - upgrade over my launch model for sure.

But man did my launch unit have a heft to it that this one is lacking. The 3001 features seem to trump my old launch unit inevery way - but the weight of that thing made it feel more premium to me ...

daxy

As I already have a Vita, I thought I would only be using the PSP for games that weren't available through PSN, but I noticed that even though the screen is lacking in vibrancy/brightness in comparison to the Vita, I find the sharper image much more appealing. Really glad I gave this system a shot. Games that require a second analog stick like MHFU are still too much of a hassle to play on PSP for me though.

I have been using a 3001 for the last little while and its awesome, great picture - upgrade over my launch model for sure.

But man did my launch unit have a heft to it that this one is lacking. The 3001 features seem to trump my old launch unit inevery way - but the weight of that thing made it feel more premium to me ...

From what I've read, the general consensus is that the build quality on the original model is the best. Similar to what Sony did with the Vita 1K to 2K model.

As I already have a Vita, I thought I would only be using the PSP for games that weren't available through PSN, but I noticed that even though the screen is lacking in vibrancy/brightness in comparison to the Vita, I find the sharper image much more appealing. Really glad I gave this system a shot. Games that require a second analog stick like MHFU are still too much of a hassle to play on PSP for me though.

From what I've read, the general consensus is that the build quality on the original model is the best. Similar to what Sony did with the Vita 1K to 2K model.

there are homebrew programs to change your buttons layouts which make games like MH way easier to play. Can't recall the one I used off the top of my head, though.

Accoun

Not sure where to post it, but I'm playing Initial D Street Stage and damn, I FINALLY managed to beat Keisuke. That chapter was really far harder than the previous ones, and especially him as a boss.
I raced an 86 (ended up with it after skipping all the menus at the start of story mode, haha), but looking online for tips I've seen posts that it's the third worst car in the game and the FD (which Keisuke drives) is a good begginers' choice and I changed to it. Although I've also seen comments that the race should be beatable with any car if you're a good enough driver. I am not - it still took me a few hours to win with the FD.

But damn, it's a great game - probably my favorite car racer on PSP (Wipeout still rules the genre for me). Was that a difficulty spike, or does the game gets progressively harder? Also, what are some other good racers? Obviously Outrun 2 and Ridge Racer 1/2 are great, Motorstorm was OK and there were some NFSs, but years ago when I played some, I didn't like it much. There are Burnouts, FlatOut and some less arcade'y ones, like TOCA Race Driver or Grand Turismo (I guess TDU counts here?), but that interests me less. There is also Wangan Midnight, but it's it any good, other that it has no connection to Maximum Tune series outside of the license? Anything else?

PaulBizkit

Don't know that game :/

We all know Wipeout is the king of PSP racers. Which one would GAF consider the second best?

NFS Underground Rivals
for me

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh man, this thread reminds me I've been looking for a physical copy of Persona 3 Portable. Gamestop no longer has PSP sections and I completely forgot to buy a copy when they still carried them.

I doubt I'll ever find a UMD + Box/Manual combo anymore. :/

dubc35

Wow, props on beating Initial D! I haven't played it in a long time but I remember getting to the point where I was about to throw my PSP so I stopped playing. I probably wasn't that far into the game either, lol.

I didn't realize there was a Wangan Midnight PSP game so not sure if it's any good. I would place TDU in more arcade than sim like TOCA and GT. It's definitely more sim than the others you listed though.

Not sure where to post it, but I'm playing Initial D Street Stage and damn, I FINALLY managed to beat Keisuke. That chapter was really far harder than the previous ones, and especially him as a boss.
I raced an 86 (ended up with it after skipping all the menus at the start of story mode, haha), but looking online for tips I've seen posts that it's the third worst car in the game and the FD (which Keisuke drives) is a good begginers' choice and I changed to it. Although I've also seen comments that the race should be beatable with any car if you're a good enough driver. I am not - it still took me a few hours to win with the FD.

But damn, it's a great game - probably my favorite car racer on PSP (Wipeout still rules the genre for me). Was that a difficulty spike, or does the game gets progressively harder? Also, what are some other good racers? Obviously Outrun 2 and Ridge Racer 1/2 are great, Motorstorm was OK and there were some NFSs, but years ago when I played some, I didn't like it much. There are Burnouts, FlatOut and some less arcade'y ones, like TOCA Race Driver or Grand Turismo (I guess TDU counts here?), but that interests me less. There is also Wangan Midnight, but it's it any good, other that it has no connection to Maximum Tune series outside of the license? Anything else?

Congrats! I've only played the arcade stages before but I recently got my hands on a copy of the PS3 game (finally!) and I've been having a ton of fun with that game. I guess I should try to track down a copy of this one too.

Did anybody else love GripShift? What a fun game. Racing and puzzle elements merged together so well. Spent so many hours playing that, one of the most underrated PSP games for sure IMO.

Accoun

Wow, props on beating Initial D!

No, no - I haven't beaten it. It's just that Keisuke was a huge block for me. I actually put the game down myself for a few months, partly because of him. I'm not even sure who is the last opponent (
Bunta
?).

dubc35

No, no - I haven't beaten it. It's just that Keisuke was a huge block for me. I actually put the game down myself for a few months, partly because of him. I'm not even sure who is the last opponent (
Bunta
?).

Oh, I got it. Still, a great achievement. Yeah, I would assume it's him.

Anyone have any thoughts on some of the racing games on this system? I have Ridge Racer (which I don't care for), Flatout which I really like and Burnout Legends, which I also like. Any of the Need for Speeds worth my time or Midnight Club? I really liked the one on the original Xbox.

Az987

all good things
Hey everyone. Has anyone here ever replaced their PSP screen? I pulled out my PSP2000 last night and the screen has this weird, oily looking thing going on. It almost looks like there is water under the case.

I don't really feel like buying another PSP when I saw you can get screens off eBay for around $20 but im hesitant to because I don't know what manufactur made the original screens and I'm not sure if it will be difficult or not.

If anyone has I guess I'm wondering if it was hard to replace and if the screen you got was just as good as the original.

koopas

Hey everyone. Has anyone here ever replaced their PSP screen? I pulled out my PSP2000 last night and the screen has this weird, oily looking thing going on. It almost looks like there is water under the case.

I don't really feel like buying another PSP when I saw you can get screens off eBay for around $20 but im hesitant to because I don't know what manufactur made the original screens and I'm not sure if it will be difficult or not.

If anyone has I guess I'm wondering if it was hard to replace and if the screen you got was just as good as the original.
Had a broken 2000, bought a new screen. Frustrated and mistake ridden I finally gave up. I found another 2000 used for almost the price I paid for the replacement screen.

Hit up craigslist for a used one is my advice. Save time and sanity (and money if youre slick)

Anyone have any thoughts on some of the racing games on this system? I have Ridge Racer (which I don't care for), Flatout which I really like and Burnout Legends, which I also like. Any of the Need for Speeds worth my time or Midnight Club? I really liked the one on the original Xbox.

I'm amazed that you don't care for Ridge Racers. I didn't really like any of the Need for Speed games. Underground Rivals was probably my favourite. The two TOCA games are very good, and if you like rally driving as opposed to jostling with other cars for position, the Colin McRae games are great. Midnight Club is very good although the first one had very long load times. I didn't like the Shutoku Battle game on PSP. You have the best racing game if you have Burnout Legends - Dominator is not as good.

I have heard good things about it. I stopped short of saying anything, because I haven't played it. Racing fans really are spoiled for choice on the PSP. Do let us know which ones you end up getting.

Tambini

The PSP is awesome, very recently got one again after a few years, this is my collection so far.
EGSb1W7.jpg

Rock Band UnPlugged is one of the most fun games on the system and it only cost £1!
Next up I want to get the Ys games but they are really hard to find in the UK.

dubc35

No prob, by all means play Ac!d. I liked it. The 2nd one just improves a lot so you will really notice it if you play the first. The style is very different too; very un-MGS like. Glad you're liking your PSP so far, they are fun little systems.

The PSP is awesome, very recently got one again after a few years, this is my collection so far.

Rock Band UnPlugged is one of the most fun games on the system and it only cost £1!
If you like Rock Band Unplugged and want an alternative, you need the DJ Max series in your life. Much harder and completely different music genres, but similar mechanics.

oldmario

PSX Data Center just opened a PSP section if anyone wanted to help out with information or cover scans since i know some people in here have quite a big psp collection

wish i got that copy i saw in hmv when they were getting rid of vita stuff cheaply

Accoun

Cool which one would you recommend?
The second one is the most recommended, I think. The third one is supposedly the worst (haven't played all of them), but might not THAT bad if you are new to the series and has the advantage of being actually available in PS Store US.

Cool which one would you recommend?

To be honest, you can't really go wrong with any of them, provided you like bemani games. Although, as Accoun mentioned, DJ Max Portable 3 is by far the worst (fewest song count, no 8B mode, remix mode is fiddly and terrible, unlocking songs in the biggest grind out of all the games...)

If you're new to the games I'd recommend Clazziquai Edition to start you off (it's the easiest), then go to DJ Max Portable 2, then get them all.

I take it you're in the UK as you mentioned paying £1 for Rock Band Unplugged? I'm in the UK too and there's no language barrier to any of the 5 games in the series, really :)

I just found this thread and saw your question. I know it's a little late, but replacing the screen isn't that hard.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PSP+2000+Display+Replacement/1270

I've changed three PSP 2000 screens and have had great success doing it. The only annoying thing about it would be getting dust stuck between the screen and the top cover.

PaulBizkit

Just finished the first danganronpa and now playing final fantasy type-0. Are you guys expecting some new releases or translations?

Digimon re:digitize was translated just a few weeks ago.

Just finished the first danganronpa and now playing final fantasy type-0. Are you guys expecting some new releases or translations?

Digimon re:digitize was translated just a few weeks ago.

I would imagine the PSP fan translations will continue for quite a while yet. Lots of the big stuff is already translated, though.

Top Bottom