• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie - Final Trailer Released

ADiTAR

The castle music remix at the start, so good. This movie will make bank just because people are gonna see it multiple times. I will go twice for sure.

VAVA Mk2

super mario bros goomba GIF

nikos

I was the first to buy tickets for one of the release week showings at Lincoln Center 13 IMAX in NYC, which is pretty crazy. Usually people are on those immediately. Seats are already starting to fill now.

Haven't been to the theater in years. Looking forward to it.

Spyxos

I was worried it would be terrible because illumination but this looks like it has actual effort.

God he made such a good Mario (RIP Bob). I won't lie, I still enjoy the original Mario movie.
Trailer looks damn good. I want to go in but I don't want to be the only adult there.

What's wrong with illumination?

tkscz

Trailer looks damn good. I want to go in but I don't want to be the only adult there.

Their CEO and founder's motto was to always aim for the most common denominator. Their movies tend to be basic, especially compared to Dreamworks and Disney/Pixar. They tend to lack depth and are the biggest example of "it's just a kids movie".

This looks like it has more depth than they are known for.

Doom85

Their only passable films they’ve done are Despicable Me 1 and 2 and Sing 1. Beyond that, all they’ve done are terrible Dr. Seuss adaptations (meanwhile Netflix managed to make an entire cartoon series based on Green Eggs and Ham not only somehow work but actually be incredible), Despicable Me 3 where the villain was fun but the rest was garbage, Minions 1 where the only good element was the robber family who are in it for only two minutes, Secret Life of Pets 1 had a few good elements but was mostly a ripoff of Toy Story 1, Secret Life of Pets 2 was just three random stories that didn’t tie into each other (really obvious they had a show planned but it fell through and they just stuffed episode plots into a “film”) and the Minions 2 trailer where 80% of it is random screaming and yelling was the most obnoxious thing I witnessed last year. Oh, and Sing 2’s trailers spoiled the ENTIRE climax, like showed a whole scene of the triumphant moment, so they have shit marketing too.

They‘re easily the most creatively bankrupt animation studio of the past 15 years.

I’m hoping for Mario they had people from Nintendo overseeing the script writing to make sure it wasn’t another shitshow. Same thing happened with The Peanuts Movie, Charles Schultz’ grandkids had the power to pull the plug if the film felt like it was going to be disrespectful to the series so the folks at Blue Sky knew they couldn’t fuck it up.

tkscz

I’m hoping for Mario they had people from Nintendo overseeing the script writing to make sure it wasn’t another shitshow. Same thing happened with The Peanuts Movie, Charles Schultz’ grandkids had the power to pull the plug if the film felt like it was going to be disrespectful to the series so the folks at Blue Sky knew they couldn’t fuck it up.
That's the reason it was delayed SEVERAL times. Nintendo weren't happy with what they had shown them and made them redo it.

AJUMP23

Looks like a lot of fun. We rented the theater for my sons birthday and are going to have a good time with a bunch of his friends.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Looks like a fun children's movie a la Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs or whatever Pixar stuff, I'll watch it 🤌

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Looks like it might be a decent movie afterall..

The animation and everything looks amazing and the humor isn't bad but why does every modern animated movie need to be so hyper? I'm exhausted after just seeing this trailer, it's like a sensory overload and a constant barrage of one-liners etc. Does everyone have an attention-span of 3 seconds these days?

Bragr

That's the reason it was delayed SEVERAL times. Nintendo weren't happy with what they had shown them and made them redo it.
Yepp, this was supposed to come out a long time ago, but the internal screenings were terrible and Nintendo made them change it.

Nintendo is not doing this for money, they make 8 times the money on a Pokemon port, they are doing this to build a Nintendo movie franchise and promote Nintendo. They would rather cancel the whole thing than release some shitty Illumination movie.

CGNoire

The visuals are gorgeous but Im not sure Im down for what seems like an almost storyless film. If the only story is just "we need to save Luigi" just so we have an excuse to take memory lane trip through all the recognizable parts from the game I think I wait till its on Netflix cause that shits gonna get boring fast.

Sidenote: I cant wait till a Mario game Looks this good.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Whatever it ends up been, it will be better than that steaming pile of shit the previous one was. One of my favourite actors is the late Bob Hoskins and even he couldn’t save that huge dumpster fire of a film.

Ar¢tos

Nope, the voice kills it. I know asking for a fake Italian accent would be too much nowadays, but Mario's voice is very off.
I'll watch it one day with a dub that has a deeper voice (in another language, most likely).

Top Bottom