• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie - Final Trailer Released

Elysion

Not a fan of the voice acting. Peach sounds just like a normal girl next door instead of a bubbly princess, Mario sounds too much like Chris Pratt with a weird accent, and Bowser‘s voice isn‘t deep and menacing enough (they should’ve distorted it a bit to give his voice a deep, rumbling bass imo). The humor feels lame too.

It is a visual feast though, that I can’t deny. Can’t wait to play a Mario game with graphics like that one day…

ADiTAR

I still can't get over how Nintendo couldn't time the movie to coincide with a new game in the series
They couldn't even get an actual special edition Switch, like some crap on the dock and interesting controllers. They are having Mario's boots in the NYC store, who cares?!

This company just doesn't have the people in place to oversee all these merch and stuff like Pokemon company does.

KungFucius

Day 1 Lol. I got tickets for the family in the early afternoon. The kids have no school so this is the event of the day and before Karate class.

The visuals are gorgeous but Im not sure Im down for what seems like an almost storyless film. If the only story is just "we need to save Luigi" just so we have an excuse to take memory lane trip through all the recognizable parts from the game I think I wait till its on Netflix cause that shits gonna get boring fast.

Sidenote: I cant wait till a Mario game Looks this good.
Dude, it is a fucking kids movie.

I still can't get over how Nintendo couldn't time the movie to coincide with a new game in the series
I was thinking similarly, but the games tend to have some new theme and the movie is really very basic. If it launched alongside Odyssey, the game would be very different from the movie.

AJUMP23

Dude, it is a kids movie.

I remember when kids movies in the 80s were not mindless like they are today, but were full of adventure. Like Space Camp, Flight of the Navigator, Goonies, Watership Down, Secret of Nihm and so forth. Quality entertainment. I know that isn't the point you were making, but you can get great kids film. Early Pixar in the 90s too, but their stuff looks amazing but isn't that great.

RAIDEN1

Hopefully this movie erases the bad memories of the 1994 release, such a dumb idea trying to go live-action with it, unless you were going to get an an animatronic Bowser in it

I remember when kids movies in the 80s were not mindless like they are today, but were full of adventure. Like Space Camp, Flight of the Navigator, Goonies, Watership Down, Secret of Nihm and so forth. Quality entertainment. I know that isn't the point you were making, but you can get great kids film. Early Pixar in the 90s too, but their stuff looks amazing but isn't that great.
There will be more and more late 2000s and 2010s kids who will not know at all of what you're talking about, and will instead think any lesser content for younger audiences means 'it's a kids movie'.

It's why we have to point out whatever great G-rated content comes along in today's age that's really meaningful and has good writing.

Hopefully this movie erases the bad memories of the 1994 release, such a dumb idea trying to go live-action with it, unless you were going to get an an animatronic Bowser in it
I liked the odd concept of a Steampunk Fifth Element-esque Mario movie, the same way I used to enjoy the old Zelda comics that were technically dark fantasy with a sprinkle of slight horror and nightmare fuel. There was so much potential in older Nintendo projects because they weren't afraid to be a bit edgier and bold. If someone else was behind that older Mario project, we could have had something special.

Last edited:

Oberstein

New pic:

vNoKdcE.jpg

Elysion

I wonder, since this will be the first time for many people that they get to hear Mario speak properly, will future Mario games have voice acting too? Not with Chris Pratt or other celebrities of course, but just in general. Zelda made the jump to voice acting with BotW, so maybe Mario is next?

Top Bottom