• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Tiu Neo

Ninninger - Last

It was an... ok last episode. The endgame was not as strong as ToQ, or a lot of other seasons, but at least it was not as weak as Kakuranger's last episode.

So, Kyuuemon was suposed to be the MidoNinger, huh? A bit too late, but nice .He probably was one the character with most development this season, and the only villain with any kind of development at all, imo.

In the end, it was an ok season. About the same level as ToQ for me, not one of the very best, but far from being one of the worst.

It did a lot of things right, like the fighting scenes and the mecha, at least the very first ones. Shinobimaru and Rodeomaru were awesome. Lion/Yukio was a very cool idea too.

The main cast had a bit more personality, and where better fleshed out, compared to ToQ. The big exception for me was Akira. Kinji was ok, but Akira was awesome. Even Nagi, who at first was nothing, had a lot of growth on this season.

The villains... were weak as hell. Gokaiger and Shinkenger also had very weak villains, but they at least had that one character (Basco/Juuzou) that kinda compensated for that.

Funny thing is, while things happened fast in the series - We had our 6th on episode 11, a lot of mechas, and before the middle of the season they even had Lion Ha-oh, iirc - it was more a push to sell toys than anything. The little story we got, compared to other seasons, took a lot of time to be told. ToQ had the same problem, and I hope Zyuohger doesn't do that. It's ok to try to push toys, but at least flesh the story out a bit better, too.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ghost 17

What's Toei's aversion to female Riders? I know KR is more for boys but Super Sentai has had female Rangers since the beginning. Ah well, at least the Himiko soul was kind of cool.
Brainwashed Makoto for a few epsiodes (or he'll snap out of it next week).
So the Ganma want to convert the best of humanity into Eyecons so live forever, at least that's what I could gather.

isny

napkin dispenser
Ninninger - Last

It was an... ok last episode. The endgame was not as strong as ToQ, or a lot of other seasons, but at least it was not as weak as Kakuranger's last episode.

So, Kyuuemon was suposed to be the MidoNinger, huh? A bit too late, but nice .He probably was one the character with most development this season, and the only villain with any kind of development at all, imo.

In the end, it was an ok season. About the same level as ToQ for me, not one of the very best, but far from being one of the worst.

It did a lot of things right, like the fighting scenes and the mecha, at least the very first ones. Shinobimaru and Rodeomaru were awesome. Lion/Yukio was a very cool idea too.

The main cast had a bit more personality, and where better fleshed out, compared to ToQ. The big exception for me was Akira. Kinji was ok, but Akira was awesome. Even Nagi, who at first was nothing, had a lot of growth on this season.

The villains... were weak as hell. Gokaiger and Shinkenger also had very weak villains, but they at least had that one character (Basco/Juuzou) that kinda compensated for that.

Funny thing is, while things happened fast in the series - We had our 6th on episode 11, a lot of mechas, and before the middle of the season they even had Lion Ha-oh, iirc - it was more a push to sell toys than anything. The little story we got, compared to other seasons, took a lot of time to be told. ToQ had the same problem, and I hope Zyuohger doesn't do that. It's ok to try to push toys, but at least flesh the story out a bit better, too.

I stopped about 15 or 20 episodes in for a lot of these reasons. Hopefully the next season ends up being better...but with the Minecraft esque zords and the silly costumes...I don't hold out much hope.

Ghost 17

What's Toei's aversion to female Riders? I know KR is more for boys but Super Sentai has had female Rangers since the beginning. Ah well, at least the Himiko soul was kind of cool.
So the Ganma want to convert the best of humanity into Eyecons so live forever, at least that's what I could gather.

I believe the idea is boys won't buy action figures for female characters, so it's best to save the budget for more male Riders.

NeonZ

Ghost 17

I believe the idea is boys won't buy action figures for female characters, so it's best to save the budget for more male Riders.

The main element that moves these toylines are roleplay toys, not action figures, so, yes, it's fairly unlikely a boy would buy a toy used mainly by a girl in the show. That why there are sometimes female Riders in the movies too, since movie Riders generally only get fan focused merchandising, rather than child focused.

Sentai nowadays have female heroines pretty much just due to tradition. You can see how they've moved away from every team having personal weapons and avoiding giving girls unique equipment, like power ups, since it wouldn't work well with their merchandising line.

vareon

The main element that moves these toylines are roleplay toys, not action figures, so, yes, it's fairly unlikely a boy would buy a toy used mainly by a girl in the show. That why there are sometimes female Riders in the movies too, since movie Riders generally only get fan focused merchandising, rather than child focused.

Sentai nowadays have female heroines pretty much just due to tradition. You can see how they've moved away from every team having personal weapons and avoiding giving girls unique equipment, like power ups, since it wouldn't work well with their merchandising line.

I have a feeling that their answer to this question is "we have Precure for that" and didn't bother giving a shit about female riders.

When was the last time we saw unique weapon per member for Super Sentai? Was it Shinkenger? Does Ninninger have one?

I have a feeling that their answer to this question is "we have Precure for that" and didn't bother giving a shit about female riders.

When was the last time we saw unique weapon per member for Super Sentai? Was it Shinkenger? Does Ninninger have one?

I thought Kyoryuger kinda did this, but I might be wrong.

Tiu Neo

I stopped about 15 or 20 episodes in for a lot of these reasons. Hopefully the next season ends up being better...but with the Minecraft esque zords and the silly costumes...I don't hold out much hope.

Let's see. Some good seasons had dumb things, don't lose hope before it airs.

Ghost 17

Himiko was good, even if she didn't do much before giving her powers. Would be cool if every eyecon got an episode like that, but... Selling toys as fast as possible is more important, I guess?

Akari has her own "rival", heh. Onari was awesome on this episode, too.

...nice way of showing movie movie merchandise on the series, too. I kinda want that Super Ichigo keychain.

ToQGer! Each member had it's own weapon. Right was a sword, Mio was a Hammer, Kagura had a... thing? Even Akira had his lantern/bat/sword.

But yeah, it's becoming rarer.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Some Zyuoh toy reviews are hittjng youtube, Zyuoh King looks pretty fucking sad next to previous year mechs, including ToQ Oh. From the front it looks ok enough even though its the smallest robo in years, but if you turn it on its side or from behind it looks dumb as shit.

The flip sode is that its relatively cheap compared to previous years, which hopefully means the other robos are also cheaper than normal.

https://youtu.be/yM6_vdrHmEw

Tiu Neo

Well, maybe their plan for selling more toys is making them cheaper to make and to buy? Dunno, but yeah, it doesn't look that cool as a toy. Would totally put that on a shelf or my desk, anyway.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Worst part was they took away Kinji's rippin guitar jump thing for the inarguably harder for the face actor to do backflip

Once I saw Takaharu was running off was expecting a kid Kyuuemon to show up like kid Rio showed up to Jan.

sprsk

Well, maybe their plan for selling more toys is making them cheaper to make and to buy? Dunno, but yeah, it doesn't look that cool as a toy. Would totally put that on a shelf or my desk, anyway.

The MSRP for the addons range from 9 dollars to 23 for the larger kinds. If you want to get Zyuoh Wild you basically have to spend more than the original robot costs.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh wait, so KR1 is part of the Rider movie of Ghost? I thought it was going to be its own thing.

NeonZ

Oh wait, so KR1 is part of the Rider movie of Ghost? I thought it was going to be its own thing.

"Kamen Rider 1" is taking the usual spring spot used by the All Rider movies in previous years, but the only Riders in the movie will be Rider 1 and Ghost's crew apparently. It's just 'Part 1' of the Super Hero Year though, so we might get something else later.

Boss Doggie

Ah I see, maybe they'll spread him out in other toku movies.

Suddenly the thought of Rider 1 vs Zyuohger is hilarious

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm sitting here all stupidly hyped for Zyuohger for no reason other than puppets and still have Dairanger and Zyuranger unfinished on my shelf with Kakuranger pre-ordered.

I should fix that.

Delio

Some Zyuoh toy reviews are hittjng youtube, Zyuoh King looks pretty fucking sad next to previous year mechs, including ToQ Oh. From the front it looks ok enough even though its the smallest robo in years, but if you turn it on its side or from behind it looks dumb as shit.

The flip sode is that its relatively cheap compared to previous years, which hopefully means the other robos are also cheaper than normal.

Dunno how I feel about this. I do like that it's cheaper but my god why is it so small? Tho I guess the big combiner coming will be pretty big with all the cubes. I hope I can maybe get Zyuohking if not now then at PMC.

I REALLY want the changer tho.

Boss Doggie

furry convention.jpg

Ca7mZ_LWwAITBgB.jpg:large

Boss Doggie

This season is going to spawn a lot of fanart isnt it?

have you not seen Shark-chan's fanart?

my only gripe in zyuman outfit is that they look like they just threw a bunch of bedsheets on them

compare doggie, which looks like a badass mofo with his suit

sprsk

Watching the full Production Press Conference for Zyuoh and I have to say this years red is totally on the ball and seems way more put together than last years. Basically I think it's pretty clear he's going to be better than ToQ and Ninnin (I HOPE). The only person I worry about actually is Green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVHR6AeHoFI&feature=youtu.be (I think it's blocked in the US for some reason)

Edit: God green is an idiot.

Delio

Watching the full Production Press Conference for Zyuoh and I have to say this years red is totally on the ball and seems way more put together than last years. Basically I think it's pretty clear he's going to be better than ToQ and Ninnin (I HOPE). The only person I worry about actually is Green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVHR6AeHoFI&feature=youtu.be (I think it's blocked in the US for some reason)

Edit: God green is an idiot.

Wait why is Green an idiot? I'm scared of that as he's cute but if he is a drag im going to be upset.

sprsk

Oh and a review of the ZyuOh Changer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHhNfYrjCdg&feature=youtu.be&a

Seems like toys this year are kind of a bust. I think at least you can probably anticipate the Power Rangers version of the morpher to be identical to the Japanese!

Also looks like the real robo is Wild Zyuoh King which combines cubes 1-6. So instead of one expensive robot at the beginning, they reel you in with a cheaper one at first, and hit you with the rest in a month or so after. Kinda lame tbh.

We're going to be picking up both this weekend though, so I'm hoping it's more fun when you have it in your hands. That said, if the show is good then we might get more just cause.

Edit: Green is an idiot because he kept saying stupid things, that said he was also super nervous so there was prolly a little of that, too. The rest of the cast seemed fairly seasoned, comparatively (especially red).

vareon

At least the cubes look cute on a desk! If I'm getting one ever I'll just stack them and never transform them.

have you not seen Shark-chan's fanart?

my only gripe in zyuman outfit is that they look like they just threw a bunch of bedsheets on them

compare doggie, which looks like a badass mofo with his suit

They probably went with the bedsheet look since they didn't want to risk creeping out the kids.

I like their outfits since the multi-cultural look makes them stand out.

Tiu Neo

I like the Zyuman outfits. Gives them an exotic appearance.

They'll probably get different outfits near summer, anyway.

Tiu Neo

Doggie was made to look cool, and a bit alien, with some sci-fi inspirations.

The Zyumans inspiration looks more... dunno, Indian? They're just different, that's all.

Doggie was made to look cool, and a bit alien, with some sci-fi inspirations.

The Zyumans inspiration looks more... dunno, Indian? They're just different, that's all.

Tusk's outfit is clearly Indian, Leo's is African, and Amu I suspect is Siberian. I can't quite place my finger on what Sera's look is supposed to be insipired by, though.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
just finished nininger, and i must admit that i liked the main cast more that toQ. toQ did have a better villain set.

and the last ningers, once again, nagi gets screwed with some nonsense.

has anyone made a gif of the handoff yet?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
just finished nininger, and i must admit that i liked the main cast more that toQ. toQ did have a better villain set.

and the last ningers, once again, nagi gets screwed with some nonsense.

has anyone made a gif of the handoff yet?

zyohred.gif

WillyFive managed to make one.

WarRock

I'm trying to figure out why Grateful requires an all new belt, while Mugen is an Eyecon for the Ghost Driver.

Also, Deep Specter's Eyecon indicates some pretty big plot point that will come up soon enough.

Tiu Neo

Finished Timeranger.

And I hope someone subs the series in english soon. Easily one of the best plots in sentai, with great characters. All of them are well developed, and have them own personal dramas. Even some of the villains have interesting stories and a certain level of depth.

Naoto in special was a very good character. While he never joined the team, I can't really say he was as antagonistic as, say, AbareKiller. Actually, most of the times he was an ally that just wasn't really part of the team.
I knew he would die, because of Gokaiger, but yet I was rooting for him to survive until the end.

The villains backstory,
in special the connection between Dornero and Gien was very well made, with both being more tragic than I ever imagined they would be.

The ending.
It was really bittersweet, at Flashman levels. Again, it's one of those things you expect will happen, and yet hits hard when it happens.

It was well worth watching, and I recommend to everyone who can. I hope someday we can have a series as with a good story and/or as touching as this one again.

Aaand... With Ninninger yesterday and Timeranger today, 21 series watched, not counting both Akibaranger seasons. Only 19 to go, yay.

WillyFive

Timeranger is in my Top 2 Sentai.

A perfect show from top to bottom, great drama and storytelling. Makes Time Force seem like a kids play at times.

Top Bottom