• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

javadoze

Great to see the duo together again, but those hair styles are terrible. Is that the look they have in the manga or could they not change because they're working on some other projects?

Those are probably the hairstyles they're sporting for other projects. (Hence why "VS Hair" in Sentai teamups, and occasionally Kamen Rider, is a thing.)

Tiu Neo

Geed 12

First Kamen Rider, now Ultraman. Tekken is popular on Japan, huh? Didn't expect Riku to be a Devil Jin player. I also didn't expect to see Zero hentai.

That fight against Fukuide was intense. That's a way of doing an OP form and still having somewhere to go from there.

I forgot, is it a break this week for Rider?

Don't think so? At least didn't see that last week.

WarRock

Geed 12

First Kamen Rider, now Ultraman. Tekken is popular on Japan, huh? Didn't expect Riku to be a Devil Jin player. I also didn't expect to see Zero hentai.

That fight against Fukuide was intense. That's a way of doing an OP form and still having somewhere to go from there.
Tekken is consistently one of the top 2-3 most played game in the arcades since I don't know when.

Sandfox

Geed 12

Don't think so? At least didn't see that last week.

I think it's because of the Bandai connection. Ex-Aid had Wonderswans and Shinkenger had Tekken 6.

Slayven

Vice Shoguns have been around too long without no real characterization. At least the American Yokai had the manners to be done in one ep each

vareon

I wonder what the overall reaction to Build is. Its tone, including humor, fits perfectly to my taste which is very rare in a Kamen Rider show. Going by my favorite shows I suspect not everyone liked that.

There was Abyss/Paradoxa in Decade (which was really annoying because I'd have loved to see the Kamen Rider Abyss suit in more episodes).

This was funny back then.

"He's not dead!?"
"No, he's next episode's villain! Mwaha!"

Tiu Neo

Build 04

So, the owner also probably has curing powers or knowledge. So, probably an human affected by the box. Also, last week's theory is probably right. Didn't expect something about his past so early.

This week's non-transformed action scenes were pretty cool. The transformed ones are... still pretty much meh + lots of CG. Well, even then, everything else is fantastic. Episode 4 and this series already has great world and character building.

I'm wondering if this year we'll have more monsters than in the past two years. They don't really have an excuse to reuse Smash, like they had with the Bugsters and the Gamma.

WarRock

Oi, they aren't wasting ANY time with Build huh? It's feeling like the show is more focused on the plot and the characters in general (instead of the MC), honestly the last two episodes could've gone without the fights.

Slayven

I hated episode 01 of Build but 2-4 have been very good and I'm genuinely looking forward to the next episode.

Pilots are just about useless, I always give at least a good 3-6 epsiodes. Cause that is where they start finding their footing.

I like that Claw is putting in the work before getting a belt. Feels like this generation's Riderman

WarRock

Pilots are just about useless, I always give at least a good 3-6 epsiodes. Cause that is where they start finding their footing.

I like that Claw is putting in the work before getting a belt. Feels like this generation's Riderman
Dude needs to chill, he's almost a Red Lantern already.

jwk94

This has never been truer than it was with The 100.

javadoze

Build 4

Build keeps being good. Heck, the fight with Banjou was something I was more pumped for than the actual Rider fight this episode
(By the way, what was up with that Dinosaur Park location? Don't ever remember seeing that one used before for a fighting scene.)
. That said, the rest of the cast manages to be meaningful: a trend I hope continues.

The show is also genuinely funny. I was laughing at
Banjou yelling for the boat to start and the owner saying he's scared of bidets

I'm excited for Rider again and next episode can't come out soon enough...

javadoze

I'll be so disappointed if this isn't an entire show focused around the two teams at once. (Also, I wonder what the real title is? Patroranger VS Lupinranger?)

The inevitable Build and Gavan crossovers also write themselves with this premise (Lupinrangers ally with Build as fugitives while the Patrorangers join up with Gavan and the govt.)

But really, I just want to see those Lupinranger suits. Something tells me they're going to be snazzy as hell.

Slayven

I'll be so disappointed if this isn't an entire show focused around the two teams at once. (Also, I wonder what the real title is? Patroranger VS Lupinranger?)

The inevitable Build and Gavan crossovers also write themselves with this premise (Lupinrangers ally with Build as fugitives while the Patrorangers join up with Gavan and the govt.)

But really, I just want to see those Lupinranger suits. Something tells me they're going to be snazzy as hell.

The thieves should be catsuit/ninja type stuff, the cops should be more armor/metalheroes

Slayven

Whatever Sentai does they need to stop giving us cluster fuck zords. Remember when zord combos looked like they were designed to go together from jump instead of everything tacked together with duct tape?

Did all the good mecha designers retire after the 90s?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Cops vs Robbers Sentai? I'm down with that.
Though who are the "heroes"? It'd be glorious if it was Lupinranger. It'd be something fresh!

Whatever Sentai does they need to stop giving us cluster fuck zords. Remember when zord combos looked like they were designed to go together from jump instead of everything tacked together with duct tape?

Did all the good mecha designers retire after the 90s?

I feel Gekiranger was where the good designs ended. Go-Onger onward is when we got clusterfuck city.

cntr

Banned
Police vs. Thieves Super Sentai sounds amazing.

And, fuck, I still need to start watching Kyuranger and Ex-Aid. And finally watch Gaim, for that matter. And I've heard Zyuohger was good?

Tiu Neo

Police vs. Thieves Super Sentai sounds amazing.

And, fuck, I still need to start watching Kyuranger and Ex-Aid. And finally watch Gaim, for that matter. And I've heard Zyuohger was good?

It's good, not great, imo. It has some problems, some good moments, few great moments. It's not boring, bad, or anything like that. It helps that it was not very red centric, and the characters in general were likable.

javadoze

Cops vs Robbers Sentai? I'm down with that.
Though who are the "heroes"? It'd be glorious if it was Lupinranger. It'd be something fresh!

I feel Gekiranger was where the good designs ended. Go-Onger onward is when we got clusterfuck city.

It'd be interesting if we got some morally gray traits in both teams. But I feel it's more likely both will portrayed as the "heroes" (with misunderstandings thrown in).

cntr

Banned
It's good, not great, imo. It has some problems, some good moments, few great moments. It's not boring, bad, or anything like that. It helps that it was not very red centric, and the characters in general were likable.
Ah, okay.

Also, I've heard praise for Ex-Aid, I think, but was Kyuranger well-received too?

WillyFive

Zyuohger looked good because of the two Sentai series that came before it, but if it had to stand against any of the ones from Kyoryuger to the beginning of the millennium, it would look thoroughly mediocre.

New sentai rumors intrigue me. I wonder how it will end up working.

I would like to chime in and say I really enjoyed Go-Busters' zord design. Those worked really well together, possibly because there were so few of them each one looked like it really belonged in the group.

I'm down with that double trademark. I have many issues with Kyuranger as it is, but I can't deny that it's been a refreshing shake up of Super Sentai despite still adhering to this escalating tradition of turning red into Jesus Gaim Kiwami Arms. Here's hoping Toei has deemed this experiment worthy enough to continue with something unorthodox as opposed to the post-Go-Busters kneejerk reaction of going back to the more traditional tried and tested.

TOQger isn't that bad and contrary to expectations based on its visual design and premise at the outset, the show managed to give me the feels. I enjoyed it more than I did Kyoryuger, though I can understand why the latter has such a fond following. Zyuohger never sustained my interest and Ninninger is what I can only describe as the most wasted potential of any recent Super Sentai series I can think of. And to think I had some hope that Saban would rise to the occasion and make an actual decent adaptation of the lacklustre source material...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kyuranger 31

The feels hit again. Balance and Naga are the best.
I'm surprised that Naga gets to keep his dark metal form even after going back to normal. At least that means it's not solely a Red power-up season like some others.
Back to wacky next week.

Build 4

I knew something was up with the Owner.
So the panel of Pandora's Box helps with the creation of the bottles. The mystery deepens.

Top Bottom