• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Cruise wants to thank you for seeing Top Gun Maverick

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's the power of the Lafayette Ronald Hubbard placebo affect.

Tropic Thunder GIF
And the Monster Inc. effect. :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Personally I love his films (Born on the Fourth of July is my favourite) but as a human being he's pretty vile thanks to his behaviour under the Scientology umbrella.

ahtlas7

I have the 4k blu ray awaiting my theater being reassembled but feel free to send the thank-you check, Tom. I’ll buy a set of rear presence speakers.

Its funny but in a weird way, being a member of a cult has kept him out of the typical left vs right political battles in Hollywood.
Part of me wonders if the hyper focus and sensationalism of Scientology over the years (particularly in the 00s) was being used as a shield so that nobody would ever bother looking into actual Hollywood/elite problems like Weinstein and Epstein. There was a literal pedo island that hosted Presidents for years but wow Tom Cruise jumped on some furniture on Oprah lets make a bunch of documentaries about that instead!

Thaedolus

Part of me wonders if the hyper focus and sensationalism of Scientology over the years (particularly in the 00s) was being used as a shield so that nobody would ever bother looking into actual Hollywood/elite problems like Weinstein and Epstein. There was a literal pedo island that hosted Presidents for years but wow Tom Cruise jumped on some furniture on Oprah let’s make a bunch of documentaries about that instead!
Well that’s greatly underselling the batshit insanity of Scientology by quite a bit but ok

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Part of me wonders if the hyper focus and sensationalism of Scientology over the years (particularly in the 00s) was being used as a shield so that nobody would ever bother looking into actual Hollywood/elite problems like Weinstein and Epstein. There was a literal pedo island that hosted Presidents for years but wow Tom Cruise jumped on some furniture on Oprah lets make a bunch of documentaries about that instead!
Scientology is absolutely dangerous. And it absolutely needs to be dealt with.

Scientology is absolutely dangerous. And it absolutely needs to be dealt with.
There is no question scientology is disastrous for people and is a scam/cult... But it's just, I dunno it feels like its reach and influence seems greatly exaggerated considering it has what, like 20-50k members these days? Crypto and GameStop stonks have suckered in and ruined way more people financially than that.

I mean whatever it's not really an argument worth having since ranking two things as bad and badder is kind of pointless.

jason10mm

I'm kinda curious what that stunt is even for. I mean, who builds a bike ramp off a cliff in universe? Seems like he could have done the bungie assisted jump and paired it with the helicopter jump rather than having a dozen guys build a ramp for months.

But daaaaaamn, hope it was worth it. Cruise pushing stunts with CG just as an assist is def the direction hollywood needs to be going.

dr_octagon

Banned
I'm kinda curious what that stunt is even for. I mean, who builds a bike ramp off a cliff in universe? Seems like he could have done the bungie assisted jump and paired it with the helicopter jump rather than having a dozen guys build a ramp for months.

But daaaaaamn, hope it was worth it. Cruise pushing stunts with CG just as an assist is def the direction hollywood needs to be going.
Dominico Torrento was planning a car heist but the spy agency finds out. He has a cameo at the end.

Ethaniel Hunt is killed by a vehicle drifting into his ribcage. The car didn't kill him, the hospital used the wrong plaster and caused an allergic reaction.

/spoiler

Phobos Base

Despite generally loving that era I was never a fan of the original, it just felt like a 2 hour music video. Maverick however was absolutely brilliant and kept me hooked throughout. I really liked how straightforward it was - unnamed enemy has this dangerous thing, we need to blow it up, we don't have much time. No political lectures, moralising on war, last minute betrayals, no "what, a woman wants to fly a plane!?" character. Just good old fashioned fun, and the fact they were really flying for most scenes makes it instantly more engaging that someone standing in front of a green screen to make Marvel Phase 25 movie number 4678.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and now have a new appreciation for Tom Cruise - will definitely check out mission impossible now even though I wasn’t a fan before

Toons

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and now have a new appreciation for Tom Cruise - will definitely check out mission impossible now even though I wasn’t a fan before

This baffles me. The MI movies hes put out since Ghost Protocol are not only all good but way better than Maverick as movies. And I loved Maverick.

I mean he's not wrong.

When was the last time a non-comic book movie had done those numbers?

A year ago the thought of Maverick doing over 1.5b WW would be insane, specially after the pandemic. That was the movie that proved theaters weren't dead.
Well, there is a silver lining here though because IMO it only proved that theaters aren't dead for "certain" movies. I didn't see Maverik in the cinema and instantly regreted it when I saw it at home. So yeah.... it didn't really prove that cinema is dead for anything but bombast movies - which Tom's movies generally all are.

chris121580

My wife and I watched it again last night. It's amazing how it gets better each time. It's honestly an all time favorite movie for me. It's perfect even if it does go completely off the rails in a Behind Enemy Lines sort of a way towards the end

Top Bottom