• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uk best selling games of 2022 (numbers included)

They have the highest physical sales ratio, more like 50:50.
Apart from Sony who is more 70/30 on their splits of first party games for physical vs digital.

Gt7 is the only one that bucks the trend as its more Gaas and probably the reason why Sony is going down that route.

DForce

Gt sport...sales would be front loaded....so those 3 months wouldn't count and it sold twice as much physical as gt7 in one year.....

Horizon sold more on one platform in 2017 when there will have been less than half the ps4s compared to 2022s ps4s and ps5s..

How is this doing well on those two games?

Most game sales for cross-gen titles are being bought mostly on current-gen consoles. That means people are either buying it on a new console or they're waiting for the PS5. It's been reported that around 30% sales from cross gen games are being sold on previous gen consoles.

Gran Turismo 7 is not nearly as big as the other two titles.

Most game sales for cross-gen titles are being bought mostly on current-gen consoles. That means people are either buying it on a new console or they're waiting for the PS5. It's been reported that around 30% sales from cross gen games are being sold on previous gen consoles.

Gran Turismo 7 is not nearly as big as the other two titles.

Not in the UK though...which we know is the most important market....

Run Away Nuclear Bomb GIF by Identity

Kind of meaningless as a chart when Nintendo don’t give out digital numbers and it’s not like their digital games don’t sell well according to their own financial reports.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Mostly bundled, look at the 20% digital share, it is wayyyy below every other game on the list. Between February and May nearly the only way to buy a PS5 in Europe was to get the pack with forbidden west

Sony was literally giving the game away during a time when the PS5 was hard to find. The sales numbers are bullshit. Same for GoW Ragnarok.

So PlayStation is pretending to sell / stealth selling 500K in the UK. Same with Ragnarok no less?

You guys sound upset. Like, really upset?

Last edited:
Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 I'm interested to hear your takes on what is happening with Sonys first party software here in the UK. Sales seem to be trending down significantly when you look at install base and total numbers. What's your thoughts? Also, their digital splits are low. I would have thought this would have increased with the release of a digital only console but it seems to be hovering around that 70/30 split.

Seems odd.

AlexxKidd

Yeah those horizon numbers are not great at all for a sequel.....on two platforms with how much more of an install base?

Ragnarok seems to be doing great. But GT7 and horizon look to be in rough shape vs previous entries.

It looks like sonys first party IP is in a huge downward trend compared to previous games.

Also, what year did ratchet and returnal launch? It was 2021 wasn't it? Are they not included?

craig-no-need-to-be-upset.gif

Spitfire098

Yeah those horizon numbers are not great at all for a sequel.....on two platforms with how much more of an install base?

Ragnarok seems to be doing great. But GT7 and horizon look to be in rough shape vs previous entries.

It looks like sonys first party IP is in a huge downward trend compared to previous games.

Also, what year did ratchet and returnal launch? It was 2021 wasn't it? Are they not included?
Why would rachet or returnal chart in top 20 in 22'? I'd be more concerned about MS continued downward trend with there IPs. Seems like MS first party ip is in a huge downward trend compared to previous games.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
How is it "giving away" when you have to pay for it?

This.

People are acting like Sony was giving away the bundled game for free, but in fact they made out like bandits. PS5 bundles were so hard to get that Sony didn't have to throw in a free game, they could charge almost full price for the bundled game. And they easily sold these 620 euro bundles since PS5s were impossible to find.

Angry Distance GIF by Living Puppets

Woopah

Not trying to troll what's Nintendos digital ratio? Are they a bit more physical usually?
Around 45-55% but it depends on the game
If Nintendo shared digital, all of the Sony games would have been pushed out of the top 10.
Not necessarily. I think Ragnarök could still be in the top 10.
Those bundles doing work. That digital split compared to the rest is fascinating.
How much of Forbidden West's sales do you think came from bundles?

Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 I'm interested to hear your takes on what is happening with Sonys first party software here in the UK. Sales seem to be trending down significantly when you look at install base and total numbers. What's your thoughts? Also, their digital splits are low. I would have thought this would have increased with the release of a digital only console but it seems to be hovering around that 70/30 split.

Seems odd.
How are you measuring they are trending down significantly? Seems pretty fine to me.

PS5 has sold 2.5 million consoles in the UK so far. God of War Ragnarok has sold 670,617 units. If 70% copies were sold on/for PS5, that's 470K PS5 copies of Ragnarok, which means an attach rate of almost 19%, which is in line with God of War (2018) attach rate.

PS5's average digital ratio hovers between 65% - 70%, but for new games it is ~50% in the UK. Minus 10% for bundles, and it's kind of the same. Just shows that PS people are still buying physical copies.

Horizon Forbidden West data is interesting actually and somewhat aligns with my earlier predictions.
  • We know that GOW has sold 11 million copies. GoW Ragnarok UK share (670,617 units) is 6.04%.
  • If we extrapolate it to Horizon, we get almost 9 million copies worldwide, which is pretty good in 1 year. Horizon Forbidden West is also tracking ahead of Horizon Zero Dawn launch aligned in the UK, despite being overshadowed by Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok.
  • Worldwide, it seem like all 3 of PlayStation's big 2022 games (GOWR, HFW, and GT7) are pacing to more than 15 million copies worldwide.

How are you measuring they are trending down significantly? Seems pretty fine to me.

PS5 has sold 2.5 million consoles in the UK so far. God of War Ragnarok has sold 670,617 units. If 70% copies were sold on/for PS5, that's 470K PS5 copies of Ragnarok, which means an attach rate of almost 19%, which is in line with God of War (2018) attach rate.

PS5's average digital ratio hovers between 65% - 70%, but for new games it is ~50% in the UK. Minus 10% for bundles, and it's kind of the same. Just shows that PS people are still buying physical copies.

Horizon Forbidden West data is interesting actually and somewhat aligns with my earlier predictions.
  • We know that GOW has sold 11 million copies. GoW Ragnarok UK share (670,617 units) is 6.04%.
  • If we extrapolate it to Horizon, we get almost 9 million copies worldwide, which is pretty good in 1 year. Horizon Forbidden West is also tracking ahead of Horizon Zero Dawn launch aligned in the UK, despite being overshadowed by Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok.
  • Worldwide, it seem like all 3 of PlayStation's big 2022 games (GOWR, HFW, and GT7) are pacing to more than 15 million copies worldwide.

Have you got data to confirm sonys first party ip digital split is 65 to 70 percent. That seems extremely high and no where near what evidence shows. Titles like call of duty may reach those highs but we do not see that from first party ip.

I think if you are right with horizon we should get a 10 million sales announcement soon.

Also, sales are down vs ps4 which seems like users are buying ps5s to not play Sony games. Yes god of war is doing well and is inline with the hype but hfw and gt7 look low to me. Especially when you consider those millions of ps4s in the wild and ps5s.

What is the total install base for ps4 and ps5 in the UK. Wouldn't surprise me if it's close to 10 million but first party ips are selling 5 to 8 percent of the userbase?

Last edited:
Have you got data to confirm sonys first party ip digital split is 65 to 70 percent. That seems extremely high and no where near what evidence shows. Titles like call of duty may reach those highs but we do not see that from first party ip.

I think if you are right with horizon we should get a 10 million sales announcement soon.

Also, sales are down vs ps4 which seems like users are buying ps5s to not play Sony games. Yes god of war is doing well and is inline with the hype but hfw and gt7 look low to me. Especially when you consider those millions of ps4s in the wild and ps5s.

What is the total install base for ps4 and ps5 in the UK. Wouldn't surprise me if it's close to 10 million but first party ips are selling 5 to 8 percent of the userbase?
No, not first-party IPs. We don't have any data on that. I was talking about PlayStation's overall avg. digital ratio, which includes first- and third-party games.

No idea about total PS4 and PS5 consoles sold in the UK. But, as of now at least for PS5, the UK constitutes roughly less than 8% of PlayStation's total console market.

As for Horizon and GT7, a few days ago I recalled that Sony released game sales for Returnal and R&C and Demon's Souls even though they weren't as impressive looking as Horizon Forbidden West would be by now. Then I realized that Sony hasn't released sales for any games that still have an expected boost coming:
  • Horizon Forbidden West (because Burning Shores is about to launch)
  • GT 7 (because they were planning to launch the VR version which would boost sales)
  • TLOU P1 (because of the upcoming HBO show)

Top Bottom