• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Papercuts said:
...Are you SERIOUS? I don't have experience with every game there, but...what the hell? Mass Effect 2 is COMPLETELY different from 1, with more improved shooting, leveling up changed, the powers at your disposal were all heavily tweaked, getting rid of loot, etc. Mass Effect 3 isn't even out, so I have no idea why you mentioned that. GTA3 is a huge departure from the other GTA games. Oblivion isn't even the third ES game. MGS3 was a big departure from the other 2. Bioshock, again, doesn't have a third game out yet, and Infinite looks completely different. All three Killzone games are pretty different. Assassin's Creed has been changed a lot in each iteration. Fallout 3 is a HUGE departure, which is common knowledge. Saints Row 3 isn't out. Diablo 3 isn't out.

I have no idea what you were thinking with that list of random popular games, because many of them have done exactly what you said they haven't and outright aren't even out to judge.
Honestly I looked at his post and decided not to argue because of how mediocre it was. To further prove that, it was a junior member.

kayos90

Batmonk said:
Checkpoint (videogame web news satire from LoadingReadyRun) make fun of this entire thread:

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/uncharted-charted

See if you're one of the one's they quoted!
Shit, we already have bad rep. They dedicated minutes just to make fun of GAF. *sigh* Anyway, people need to stop thinking that reviews are just to score the game. It is to criticize so we get better games in the future.

Papercuts said:
...Are you SERIOUS? I don't have experience with every game there, but...what the hell? Mass Effect 2 is COMPLETELY different from 1, with more improved shooting, leveling up changed, the powers at your disposal were all heavily tweaked, getting rid of loot, etc. Mass Effect 3 isn't even out, so I have no idea why you mentioned that. GTA3 is a huge departure from the other GTA games. Oblivion isn't even the third ES game. MGS3 was a big departure from the other 2. Bioshock, again, doesn't have a third game out yet, and Infinite looks completely different. All three Killzone games are pretty different. Assassin's Creed has been changed a lot in each iteration. Fallout 3 is a HUGE departure, which is common knowledge. Saints Row 3 isn't out. Diablo 3 isn't out.

I have no idea what you were thinking with that list of random popular games, because many of them have done exactly what you said they haven't and outright aren't even out to judge.

I don't think you're serious about Bioshock, Killzone, Oblivion, Saints Row and Diablo being different. If you are serious, then you make GAF look hypocritical too.

And I'm comparing Fallout3s and GTA3+s. Not the older ones, obviously. The GTA 4 backlash was for the exact same reason. It wasn't different enough, gameplay wise, from the 3s.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This thread is fucking embarrassing. The people quoted in Checkpoint should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

Ra1den

kayos90 said:
Even if that's the case, just because it does a whole lot of things, does that mean we should give the third-person mechanics a bit of a leeway? I don't think so. When you're reviewing something, you're reviewing on the entirety of the product. If Uncharted 3 is a game that deserves that a 9.0 then it better prove to me why it's a 9.0. This means that almost all mechanics and gameplay components flow well and plays stellar. If the shooting mechanics of U3 play subpar compared to other shooters then does it deserve a 9.0? I don't think so.

Of course it should be mentioned if a certain part of the game is lacking. However, it should not be an automatic point deduction. As you have said, it should be based on the entire experience. You could have a game that has no flaws, solid in every respect, but still only give a medium amount of enjoyment. Then you could have another game which is extremely enjoyable, with some minor flaws....which should score better, the one with " no flaws"? I don't think so. But I guess now I'm getting off the topic.

Whether Uncharted has problems with it's gameplay mechanics or not, If we are basing scores by means of comparisons to to other games in the same genre, AND if the game is OVERALL better than those games, the score should reflect this. As I said, this is not how I feel reviews should be done( strictly comparing them to to others in the same genre), but this was the topic I was commenting on.

cajunator

Banned
I do like interactive cutscenes.
If a cutscene isn't skippable though, it really brings a game down for me.
It should always be an option.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
cajunator said:

I think it should be an option only if you got past it and died :D

ie.

start of the level cut scene, you die and have to start the level over, the fist cut scene should be skipable

kayos90

cajunator said:
It should be a standard of the industry.

bud

"if your reviews constantly differ from the rest of the community, then you are not fit for the job."

haha, who said that?

Loudninja

cajunator said:
Not as simple as that some games load in the background while the cutscenes are playing.

BeeDog

Lulz at StuBurns' comment being CheckPoint's favorite in that segment. I seriously wonder wonder how Uncharted 3 came to be the focal point of attention in the gaming world as of late; the reactions were incredibly stupid, but it's not the first time children go apeshit over review scores either. Poor game :p

Ra1den

Zane said:
That I wrote the review or that I would not have liked it better if the setpieces were just cutscenes?

Primarily the former, though I suppose I shouldn't assume you couldn't be. Regarding the latter, if the reviewer is correct about cutscenes not being more agreeable(and really they/you have no way of knowing this after they have already made judgement), they are an unusual case. I base this off of the amount of complaints given to scripted sequences VS cutscenes in videogames. Scripted sequences receive much more flak, and mostly the only time cutscenes are complained about is when they are excessively long or ridiculously frequent and at inopportune moments (or if the cutscenes themselves suck of course).

Ra1den

BeeDog said:

He is actually correct. Consider how frequently 5/5 is given out compared to a 10. A reviewer using a 5 point scale actually considering it being 80-100 will not always be the case( it's actually probably usually NOT the case), but he is correct in implying that 10/10 is more rare. I don't know the entire context of the quote, but from what I've seen it makes sense.

The greater the number, the smaller each point is worth, and the easier it becomes to shave points off. With a 5 point scale, you have very little room for making slight deductions.

Shikoro

Batmonk said:
Checkpoint (videogame web news satire from LoadingReadyRun) make fun of this entire thread:

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/uncharted-charted

See if you're one of the one's they quoted!
There's the guy with the 3 PS3s.
lolnskl.gif

Ra1den said:
He is actually correct. Consider how frequently 5/5 is given out compared to a 10. A reviewer using a 5 point scale actually considering it being 80-100 will not always be the case( it's actually probably usually NOT the case), but he is correct in implying that 10/10 is more rare. I don't know the entire context of the quote, but from what I've seen it makes sense.

The greater the number, the smaller each point is worth, and the easier it becomes to shave points off. With a 5 point scale, you have very little room for making slight deductions.

The joke's on CheckPoint then. StuBurns even mentioned it as 10.0/10.0 and not 10/10, as the video shows. Manipulative fucks.

Bigfoot

Sinthetic said:
Somebody get StuBurns a Maths tutor.

I get what he was saying too. It wasn't the best quote to put in that video when there were a lot worse ones.

It would have been better if he just said they weren't the same thing. For example, if you are going to give a game a 91% or 9.1/10, on a fixed 5 point scale you either have to give it a 4/5 or 5/5.

Mxrz said:
God forbid you criticize a review or the review process of a mainstream game these days then.

Its interesting to see how the gaming press defend and feed off each other. Like you said, god forbid if we don't agree with them or their processes. Its crazy how much they need to have the last word on everything.

I'll be glad when this whole fixation with GAF's "overreaction" is done with. It makes no goddamn sense at this point to keep going on about it.

And Stuburns is absolutely right that a 5/5 is not the same as a 10/10. Well done there, CheckPoint.

cajunator

Banned
I wish some review site would come up with a random-assed scale like 1-7 or something.
The entertaining part would be the fanatics trying to equate that to a 1-100 scale score and arguing over percentages.

Sullen

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
I'll be glad when this whole fixation with GAF's "overreaction" is done with. It makes no goddamn sense at this point to keep going on about it.

And Stuburns is absolutely right that a 5/5 is not the same as a 10/10. Well done there, CheckPoint.

Please go back to school with at least a slight focus on paying attention to math next time.

The Lamp

ViewtifulJC said:
Short review, but he makes his likes and dislikes well known, and is similar to Eurogamer, in that he doesn't like the lack of player interaction. The big desert at the end of the review really just encapsulates his main issue with the title; its big, its beautiful, but at the same time its all very empty. You, the player, just march forward like the developer tells you to do, watch the cutscenes, funny one-liner, etc.

Like I said, this has been the case since Uncharted 1 and some reviewers are just now starting to consider this a major negative aspect to the game, worthy of docking score points?

I don't mind if you gave Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 a 3/10 review, bitching to and fro about how linear and unresponsive to player experimentation the series is, but I would hope most people at least stay consistent with what they bitch about.

I personally feel that the lack of freedom for the player for a game like this is trivial and really doesn't matter in the scope of what the game is trying to do, although some might absolutely hate it. But I just think it's amusing that in some sense, with some reviewers, it appears that there was this epiphany of "yeah Uncharted doesn't let me go where I want" between Uncharted 2 and 3 that is suddenly aggravating to the experience now, and wasn't before.

I'm excited to play the game tomorrow so I can see if Naughty Dog really just dropped the ball on this game or if the people who knock Uncharted 3 considerably and suddenly because of "lack of player control" are just bitching as if they've never played the rest of the series before and enjoyed it for what it is, or if those people just hate scripted, linear platform shooters in general. I for one, don't. At least not with Uncharted.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
some of you guys are a whoops.

that's right, a whoops. it doesn't sound like it makes much sense in this post but say it out aloud. " i am a whoops." and it makes perfect sense.

you are all whoops and should be ashamed of yourself for being whoops because that's not the way you act in public.

Mr_Zombie

Sinthetic said:
Somebody get StuBurns a Maths tutor.
Not really. If you want to convert 5-point scale into 10-point scale you have to take into account that 1/5 = [0,2], 2/5 = (2, 4], ..., 5/5 = (8, 10].

EDIT: ugh, too late :/

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I really don't even think Stub's quote is the worst they listed. The one about how reviews differing from the rest of the community makes me cringe. Its saying you have to agree with the hype.

Sullen said:
Please go back to school with at least a slight focus on paying attention to math next time.
As has been stated SEVERAL times before (and pretty much right above and below my post), a 5/5 is not going to be the same as a 10/10, even if they are mathematically the same. Just compare the number of "perfect" scores for reviewers that use the 5 point scale versus those that use 10s.

Ra1den

Sullen said:

Perhaps a better idea would be for you to go back and work on your reading comprehension.

shintoki said:
I really don't even think Stub's quote is the worst they listed. The one about how reviews differing from the rest of the community makes me cringe. Its saying you have to agree with the hype.

Yeah, Stub's is nowhere near comparable to the transcendent majesty found in the regal balconies of the Hall of Fame.

The top and bottom quotes are appropriate bookends; the first for its vitriol and bile, and the last for its complete nonsense assumption that all gamers inherently know the score Uncharted 3 deserves, even if they haven't played, seen or heaven-forbid heard of the game.

fernoca

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
As has been stated SEVERAL times before (and pretty much right above and below my post), a 5/5 is not going to be the same as a 10/10, even if they are mathematically the same. Just compare the number of "perfect" scores for reviewers that use the 5 point scale versus those that use 10s.
StuBurn's problem with his reply was that, technically the thread was never supposed to become "this big and famous". He replied in the context of the reviews (and the thread), as to reviews that usually are 5/5 can be anything from 8/10, 9/10 in other sites.

But, math-wise 5/5 is still 100% which is the line of thought some are making fun of. On the context of the reviews it's right, but math-wise it wasn't.

By taking the reply out of context, of course people will find it "lolworthy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom