• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We will never see TV as good as Game of Thrones season 1-4 ever again

Bragr

How can you not like Bjorn?

tumblr_o2zbs0HrhM1tdy0nco1_500.gif
Because I can see the difference between good and bad acting.

Not if Woke is allowed to continue to strangle the life out of everything, that's for sure.

It's eerie as hell to think the early 2010s were the end of a cultural moment stretching back however far you want to go that we may never see again for the rest of our lives.

Sensates

^I came here looking for recommendations, ends up in disappointment following the last comment.

Before GoT S1-4 I had the same thoughts after finishing The Wire.

RaduN

How did you type all that and still manage to leave Lost off the list?
It's "cool" nowadays to downplay the gigantic impact Lost had on fantasy drama TV.
But yes, Lost was leagues above the rest in the genre. As great as GOT used to be in the early seasons, it didn't reach Lost's levels of brilliance and poignancy.
Again, my opinion.

Star-Lord

But yes, Lost was leagues above the rest in the genre. As great as GOT used to be in the early seasons, it didn't reach Lost's levels of brilliance and poignancy. Again, my opinion.
For me, Lost (up until the fourth season) was a genre definer for me. I’d never seen anything like it at that point, and haven’t seen anything come close to it since. I remember my girlfriend and I would watch it online the morning after it aired in America and join in on discussions about the episode on a Lost forum. Good times.

Dynasty8

I agree, but I would throw in seasons 5 and 6 in there too. I'd even say 6 is up there with some of the best seasons. GoT was very special. No other show made me look forward to Sundays as much.

Most of the actors in Vikings can barely act, it was cringe to watch at times.
I liked the show but I mostly agree. Only good actors were Ragnar, Lagertha, Rollo and King Ecbert (maybe Aslaug too). Most performances were mediocre at best, and then there were the cringe inducing ones like basically all of Ragnar's sons (Ivar at least tried, but he tried too hard at times).

Ammogeddon

From a fantasy perspective, probably not.

The Witcher is alright but I wouldn’t even put it in the same league as GoT.

From a general TV show perspective, hell yes.

Just finished Ozark season 4 pt1, that’s a great show.

DKehoe

For me, Lost (up until the fourth season) was a genre definer for me. I’d never seen anything like it at that point, and haven’t seen anything come close to it since. I remember my girlfriend and I would watch it online the morning after it aired in America and join in on discussions about the episode on a Lost forum. Good times.
The Lost threads here on GAF were so good. Talking about the episodes week to week made it so much more fun.

RexAnglo

Banned
I've been watching it on Sky Atlantic (British TV) and it has just got to Season 4.

It's definitely up there as one of the best shows I've seen.

Sky Atlantic has been showing The Wire, The Sopranos, and Boardwalk Empire - so I've been able to watch them from start to finish.

I missed bits and pieces when they first aired and never really got round to seeing them all from beginning to end.

gela94

The question isn't will there ever be a series as great as GOT but will there ever be a fantasy series as great!! Probably not
Monsters Inc Reaction GIF by filmeditor

Elysion

Not only won‘t there be another fantasy show on the same level, but I also doubt we‘re going to see another book series that‘s as good, at least not from the big publishers. The publishing industry nowadays is dominated by the same kinds of people as those that run other media (incl. Hollywood) and tech companies. Can you imagine what ASoIaF would be like if it was written today? Even GRRM himself has remarked that ASoIaF would be different if he was writing it today.

We were extremely lucky that GoT started filming a few years before the current cultural shift had started; if they‘d done it just five years or so later the show would‘ve probably looked like the recent adaptations of the Witcher or Wheel of Time. The same is true for Jackson‘s LotR trilogy.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it through season 6. You're right the golden age of television filled with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead (to a lesser extent) all running at the same time will never happen again

QSD

Certainly GOT S1-4 were something special. Even so, the show gets a lot of mileage out of setting up a mysterious world with a massive but largely oblique backstory and all these different prophecies and rumours that seems to be building up to something that unfortunately never seems to materialize. In that sense, it is just another show like X-files or Lost where the writers started out by writing all these intriguing mysteries, but during the writing they forget that in order to make a meaningful end product, the mysteries have to be resolved in a way that is satisfying and offers some kind of closure. At a certain point the mystery/story has become so layered and so many times expectations have been subverted that there simply is no more way to resolve the story in a way that is satisfying. The end result is an ugly thing, that is best left not engaged with.

Fbh

I definitely think we'll see other equally well written and acted shows.
But with those production values and a fantasy setting? Yeah probably not

Aegsorciten

Neo Member
Firefly, while it lasted was better then season 1-4 GoT. Infact I'll say it is the best series made, how it didn't make through boggles my mind. Atleast we got a movie, that sorta "ended" it but still, so damn good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom