• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 09)

Alucard

Banned
tirminyl said:
I just finished the entire Percy Jackson and the Olympians series this month. I loved it and really didn't want it to end. Next month I will start back on the Harry Potter series.

Cool. It sounds like something I'd like. I know it's shallow, but I've always been attracted by the covers of those books.

besada

Banned
I read the first hundred pages of Darkly Dreaming Dexter, then put it down because it was terrible.

Luckily I had David Sedaris's new book to clean out the taste of it.

Fleet of Foot said:
I read The Stand, then all of The Dark Tower, then IT. I liked IT the least. Right now I'm reading Insomnia and again, characters are showing up that are from other books.

Now that I've read about 15 Stephen King books, I realize I am a Stephen King fan and I really don't see why some people are so down on him. I don't get the criticism. Once I start reading one of his books, it's hard to stop until it's finished. They're just good stories. Isn't that the whole point of reading?

I read his On Writing book first, which is a good place to start and then I think the first few Dark Tower books, and then The Stand. I loved them all, but getting to his epics is a bit rough to start. Any new reader is best off starting with Carrie and the Bachman books. The Skeleton Crew story collection is also a good start.

I liked IT more than The Stand. Still haven't read Salem's Lot or Insomnia, hell a lot of the books that tie into The Dark Tower. I loved Desperation, though, it's a great precursor to something like The Stand.

King is a great writer. He doesn't deserve most of the hate he gets. He writes characters very well (maybe too well sometimes, it makes is books really long) and his prose is very fluid even if it isn't inspiring, but sometimes it can be beautiful. Dialogue can be clunky, but it's his style and after awhile you really enjoy it. He's deserved all the awards he's received.

Currently I'm doing a big series re-read which includes Lemony SNicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, Harry Potter, and The Dark Tower. I alternate on them, 2 Lemony Snicket books for every one of the other series. I'm on the second round reading The Wide Window.

kaskade

Right now I'm reading World War Z which is awesome. If they made a district 9 type movie off of this book I think it would be really cool. I'm also reading I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell. Which is a pretty funny book, it's nice because they stories really aren't related so I can read a few and just come back a few days later.

I just re read Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix and Half blood prince. I got a huge kick out of reading all those throw away lines about the locket in Sirius's house, the tiara, and the hogs head barkeep. I keep being surprised at how much i enjoy all those the parts where they simply deal with school and being teenagers as opposed to the magical elements which i found interesting on my first read through when i was younger.

tirminyl

Alucard said:
Cool. It sounds like something I'd like. I know it's shallow, but I've always been attracted by the covers of those books.

Actually, that is how I got into the series. I went to pick up the first HP book and I saw the first Percy Jackson book cover. I love Greek mythology and actually went to a middle school and high school centered on Greek mythology & culture. So I bought the book and then devoured the rest of the series :D

27_2.jpg

very refreshing

aosswk.jpg

Getting through this on my iPod, the text is out there for free. A pretty great read so far, and especially easy to get into if you've played STALKER (or I guess maybe seen the movie, though I have yet to do that).

Like twenty, twenty-five pages away from finishing Inifinite Jest Read No. 2. I sense open weeping not far off. There are moments in this book of such like deep tragedy and then just pure honest decency that are probably the most heartbreaking things I've ever read.

Hari Seldon

Ok how hard of a read is The Road by Cormac McArthy? I should have read a little about it before I picked it up, but I don't want some book with ridiculously complex prose to read on my vacation.

Finished up book 3 and 4 of GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire and after seeing a thread asking for recommendations on historical fantasy and recommending that the OP read Jack Whyte's Dream of Eagles series, I decided that I hadn't read it in quite some time so followed through on my own recommendation. Currently I have finished the first 3, and am sitting about halfway through book 4, The Saxon Shore. I fully intend to finish the series proper and maybe start on the 2 part follow up before I go back to school in a week or so. Took the last two weeks of summer off work so that I could relax for a little while before I go to finish the undergrad grind, and have found that I'm actually enjoying reading far more than playing games (though that is probably due to the fact that I'm still playing games from 2007 since this year has overall been garbage for me).

X26

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
Ok how hard of a read is The Road by Cormac McArthy? I should have read a little about it before I picked it up, but I don't want some book with ridiculously complex prose to read on my vacation.

Easy read

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Hari Seldon said:

you could probably finish the road while on the road to your vacation.

it's a GREAT story though

Vinci

Danish
I'm going to be starting a Charles Stross marathon soon after I finish moving. Might not get started till September 1st though, so... but still, looking forward to it. Any recommendations? I know he has fans here.

Hachimaki

The-Dark-Tower-1-The-Gunslinger.jpg

Only 60 pages left until I'm done. I've grown attached to Jake but
I think bad things are going to happen to him =(.

bengraven

I wish there was a Pandora of books in every library or book store.

"You like: books with epic fantasy battles, snappy dialogue, and heavy on sexual content? We recommend: Game of Thrones. Fantasy section, MAR".

Undeux

BlueTsunami said:
The Dark Tower Series seems to be some sort of GAF "What are you Reading?" wright of passage :lol
Seriously. I think half the thread has read or is reading it, along with The Road, World War Z and A Game of Thrones. :lol

bengraven

Undeux said:
Seriously. I think half the thread has read or is reading it, along with The Road, World War Z and A Game of Thrones. :lol

Speaking of which, I need to finish the Road so I can be a true GAFfer. However, a friend bought me this

METALKPRETTY.jpg

and I bought

spook_country.jpg

513M0l8RgPL._SL500_.jpg

0451528166.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Timbuktu

51H4MbMXV5L._SS500_.jpg

Absolutely great read. Went through most of it on trains as I went round Germany and tried to make it last the who trip. It's not a page turner in the sense that at the end of some chapters you just have to put it down and savour the emotional point Laxness places you at, then perhaps go over the chapter again. I'm not so interested in Laxness' politics, but it is amazingly engrossing considering it is really just about a stubborn sheep farmer with his croft in Iceland. Very much recommended.

Fireblend

Banned
Wow, just got House of Leaves (along with American Gods, Lolita, Norwegian Wood and Zombie Survival Guide); it's huge! I planned to start it next week after I'm done with The Zombie Survival Guide but I guess I'll read American Gods first seeing how it looks like a tiring time-consuming read (I don't really have the time to pour on a big book with this semester, it seems better to save it for vacations). Really looking forward to it now, the size was definitely a pleasant surprise. :D

So far, The Zombie Survival Guide is not disappointing. I still think World War Z was more enjoyable/charming, though.

Also, I have not read The Road, or A Game of Thrones. Then again I thought any Murakami book was this thread's rite of passage. :lol

the-story-of-edgar-sawtelle.jpg

Just finished this yesterday.
What a absolutely depressing book.
I never ever thought it was going to end the way it did with so many unanswered questions but I assume that was the writers intention.

Man still reeling from it though. Anyone else here finish it?

Tigel

Hachimaki said:
The-Dark-Tower-1-The-Gunslinger.jpg

Only 60 pages left until I'm done. I've grown attached to Jake but
I think bad things are going to happen to him =(.

I finally started it (I'm alterning between that and The Zombie Survival Guide). I'm just starting though (chapter 9 or something) so there's not a lot going on right now.

I'll post my impressions when I'm done with it!

(Jake is the Gunslinger name? Spoiler that shit!
Nah I'm kidding, doesn't matter much :p
)

Currently reading Stephen King's The Stand. Only about a third of the way through, but so far it's incredible. King is truly a master storyteller.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Started Magician by Raymond E Feist. First chapter, I must say, was extremely crap. It picked up at the second though.

Its his best book so its worth reading. Its a fun book.

Before+They+Are+Hanged.jpg

Bout halfway through this now, chapters becoming very short 2-3 pages. Building up to some epic shit though, dunno if good or bad, oh the suspense.

Finished up Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy yesterday. The first book is absolutely fantastic, and though the second is weaker mostly due to the first fourth, it is completely redeemed by the awesome third book. The ending was a bit weak, but that didn't negatively impact the book too much. Wonderful series.

BruceLeeRoy said:
the-story-of-edgar-sawtelle.jpg

Just finished this yesterday.
What a absolutely depressing book.
I never ever thought it was going to end the way it did with so many unanswered questions but I assume that was the writers intention.

Man still reeling from it though. Anyone else here finish it?

I did, and I loved it. I read it about 6 months ago so I can't remember all the finer details, but I remember being affected by it for a few days after I finished it. Wish I could give you more than that, but sorry it's a haze now.

Highly recommended to anyone else, though.

K.Sabot

I'm reading through Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books, they're oddly addictive (I'm on the 10th book in the "series" after... a week.) They're easy reads and have very large and sharp hooks that almost hurt when they grab you.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
was banned for a month, so glad i could catch this before september :lol

finished (and LOVED) this:

0440179483.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

now 2/3 of the way through the life-changing epic BEAT novel:

on-the-road.jpg

Hari Seldon

Alright I just took a look at the first couple pages of The Road. I fucking hate this writing style. USE COMMAS SHIT HEAD!!!!!!! The plot and story better make up for this shit. Glancing through, I guess he doesn't believe in using quotes for dialogue either.

Fleet of Foot said:
I did, and I loved it. I read it about 6 months ago so I can't remember all the finer details, but I remember being affected by it for a few days after I finished it. Wish I could give you more than that, but sorry it's a haze now.

Highly recommended to anyone else, though.

The whole ending is depressing but the way he writes
Almondines death
is so tragic. Its beautiful poetry but I was crying like a damn girl the whole time. Like you said though I really loved it.

Hari Seldon

jon bones said:
got some bad news for you...

Well why is this book considered good when there is writing like: "He walked over to the cave and pulled out his gun and looked down the hill and then smoked a cigarette." That is horrible by a middle school writing standard.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Hari Seldon said:
Well why is this book considered good when there is writing like: "He walked over to the cave and pulled out his gun and looked down the hill and then smoked a cigarette." That is horrible by a middle school writing standard.

it's poorly written

it would have serious pacing issues - but luckily the story goes nowhere so it can take it's damn time getting there

it has a solid atmosphere but why this won a pulitzer is beyond me - doesn't hold a candle to Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay (totally different genre/writing style but it is my example of a pulitzer-quality book)

Alucard

Banned
FINALLY finished it. It took me over a month...

400000000000000031329_s4.jpg

Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb

I felt a mix of emotions while completing this book, and closing the door on the Farseer Trilogy. While Fitz's struggles and pain are once again the focal point of the story, it is what Hobb does with the supporting cast that will make you love or loathe this conclusion. Personally, I was left with a sense of respect for an author that does not guide her narratives into the expected places.

At the beginning of the story, Fitz is a ghost of his former self, and his rehabilitation into the world of the living is one of the hilights of the book. As he regains his strength and steels his focus to killing Regal, we once again follow him through numerous difficulties, and heaps of emotional anguish. Along the way, he meets a couple of new characters that leave a lasting impression on the reader. Starling and Kettle are great additions to this series, and I felt they often added a needed lightness to the book.

My only real complaint about this story is that it felt extremely drawn out, and that the conclusion, despite tying up most loose ends, left me with a sense of anti-climax. That could simply be that Hobb spent a good deal of time building up my disdain for certain characters, or my curiosity about other parts of the story, only to explain them all away in a few brief paragraphs. I felt that Royal Assassin shared a similar problem.

Regardless of its sometimes slow pacing, and despite this book requiring a fairly large commitment at 757 pages, the journey is worth it. The lessons I took away from it were largely centred around different ways of showing love, and the nature of personal sacrifice. It is not a perfect tale, but the lasting impression is one of reverence for Hobb's ambitious scope and imagination. 8/10.

Next up: The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Wraith

Hari Seldon said:
Alright I just took a look at the first couple pages of The Road. I fucking hate this writing style. USE COMMAS SHIT HEAD!!!!!!! The plot and story better make up for this shit. Glancing through, I guess he doesn't believe in using quotes for dialogue either.

I stopped about half way through. The author is clearly talented but I found the story boring(I know, blasphemy) and the writing style annoying. Anyway,

51YC4MVXGXL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51yD37YHi7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Mifune

Mehmber
Hari Seldon said:

Please give up reading.

He's not the first writer to futz around with grammar and punctuation and he certainly won't be the last.

way more

Mifune said:
Please give up reading.

He's not the first writer to futz around with grammar and punctuation and he certainly won't be the last.

True enough. If you aren't willing to put the effort in for Cormac then you are too lazy to read a whole genre of greats.

Top Bottom