• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 09)

Tigel said:
Quick question: has anyone read The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie (House MD)? It's a new release here in Quebec (Canada) I was wondering if it is any good.
It's a well-written English comedy, more Wodehouse than Douglas Adams. There's a bit of
misdirection regarding the love interest
that doesn't feel particularly well developed, but on the whole, I liked it and would recommend it to someone looking for that genre.

I just finished reading Ender's Game and I enjoyed it. I had originally bought it just so I had something to do while waiting around O'Hare for my flight back to LA but now I want to read more about the universe.

I was thinking of going Speaker for the Dead > Xenocide > Children of the Mind > Ender in Exile before jumping into the Shadow saga.

S1lent

superc.jpg

Jamesfrom818 said:
I just finished reading Ender's Game and I enjoyed it. I had originally bought it just so I had something to do while waiting around O'Hare for my flight back to LA but now I want to read more about the universe.

I was thinking of going Speaker for the Dead > Xenocide > Children of the Mind > Ender in Exile before jumping into the Shadow saga.

The Speaker saga is a huge jump from Ender's Game.

I honestly recommend you go Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hedgemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant, Ender in Exile, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Thats a gooden, shame hes gone so far downhill these last few years.

Just started getting into The Painted Man, diggin it so far, character hopping is a bit extreme but its a first book so i can deal with it.

Flo_Evans

Manics said:
I'm re-reading Asimov's Foundation series. I last read it about 25 years ago, it amazing how much you forget after a quarter century. LOL

I should probably do the same. I read it when I was in high-school, probably didn't understand half of it. :lol

ciD_Vain

Started reading this a couple of years ago and lost it, re-bought it, started reading again, lost it, re-bought it, forgot about it, and now re-reading it from the beginning. I don't know why I kept losing it.

2hoyan7.jpg

Tigel

Squirrel Killer said:
It's a well-written English comedy, more Wodehouse than Douglas Adams. There's a bit of
misdirection regarding the love interest
that doesn't feel particularly well developed, but on the whole, I liked it and would recommend it to someone looking for that genre.

Thanks. I might have to pick it up then.

BlueWord

Revelation_Space_cover_%28Amazon%29.jpg

Started two days ago, a little more than halfway through. Strikes a weird balance between the Space Opera stuff and hard SF. I like it, but I think there might be some more interesting stories that could be told in the setting. I guess that's what the other books are for.

I asked earlier but wasn't able to get a reply. Can any of you recommend a good horror story, be it novel or non fiction? Something that REALLY gets you anxious.

Mardil

LovingSteam said:
I asked earlier but wasn't able to get a reply. Can any of you recommend a good horror story, be it novel or non fiction? Something that REALLY gets you anxious.
I read Infected by Scott Sigler, it's not exactly horror but it's very, very descriptive in the way people are hurt... which makes you really anxious.

baultista

Banned
ciD_Vain said:
Started reading this a couple of years ago and lost it, re-bought it, started reading again, lost it, re-bought it, forgot about it, and now re-reading it from the beginning. I don't know why I kept losing it.

2hoyan7.jpg
That's a pretty awesome book cover.

I was originally going to dive into The Butlerian Jihad, but I dropped by the library earlier today on a whim and saw this sitting on the shelf. Some quick googling confirmed that it was a decent piece of work, so I grabbed it, and it is indeed really interesting.

Jesus_070706015744898_wideweb__300x458.jpg

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
LovingSteam said:

Read Duma Key by Stephen King and let me know if its any good, im thinkin of grabbin it in my next big order :D

Finished:

slaughterhouse-five.jpg

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. An insightful observance of humanity set amidst quietly stunning absurdity and fatalism. Worthy of its adulation, indeed.

best-served-cold.jpg

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. A slick departure into the revenge tale bursting with enough vigor to stand shoulder to shoulder with the best of his preceding trilogy. It twists progressively darker as it reaches its conclusion, and the strength of characterization is entirely admissible with surprising depth and varying turns. Recommended.

Now Reading:

x1827.jpg

Collected Essays by Gore Vidal. I've been unable to approach it in order. Nonetheless, it's been an enjoyable volume to wander through so far.

n49339.jpg

Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold. Bujold's prose enraptures, as usual, with the pilgrimage of a resentful former saint which explores the fantasy landscape of previous winner, The Curse of Chalion. It had something of a slow start, but, unsurprisingly, nothing is as it seems and the gods are as intrusive as ever.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Re-reading

The Assassini
Thomas Gifford

%7B04F2C107-6DEF-4633-AF3A-3668F5448BEC%7DImg100.jpg

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
0765314320.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I enjoy the Malazan series but it takes me about 1/4th of the book to really get into them. Once i'm hooked though it's quite a ride.

LovingSteam said:

I've recommended this book on GAF a few times, it might be what you're looking for.

TheTerror-1.jpg

Here's a brief synopsis;
The men on board, Her Britannic Majesty's Ships Terror and Erebus had every expectation of triumph. They were part of Sir John Franklin's 1845 expedition - as scientifically advanced an enterprise as had ever set forth - and theirs were the first steam-driven vessels to go in search of the fabled North-West Passage. But the ships have now been trapped in the Arctic ice for nearly two years. Coal and provisions are running low. Yet the real threat isn't the constantly shifting landscape of white or the flesh-numbing temperatures, dwindling supplies or the vessels being slowly crushed by the unyielding grip of the frozen ocean. No, the real threat is far more terrifying. There is something out there that haunts the frigid darkness, which stalks the ships, snatching one man at a time - mutilating, devouring. A nameless thing, at once nowhere and everywhere, this terror has become the expedition's nemesis. When Franklin meets a terrible death, it falls to Captain Francis Crozier of HMS Terror to take command and lead the remaining crew on a last, desperate attempt to flee south across the ice.
I'd also recommend another two books by Dan Simmons, Summer of Night and A winter Haunting.

SummerofNight.jpg

A monstrous, timeless entity is devouring children. Adults either refuse to understand what is happening, or are themselves agents for the monster. A group of young boys, in uneasy partnership with an outcast girl, realize they must kill the creature before it devours them all.

AWinterhaunting-1.jpg

Four decades later Dale Stewart, a survivor of that summer, has returned to endure a winter of adult discontent: his wife has left him, his sideline career as a novelist is sputtering and a disastrous love affair has driven him to attempt suicide. Medicated to the gills for depression, Dale seeks inspiration for his next novel in a house that figured in events of the summer of 1960. But remnants of the old malign influence have survived and they manifest as vicious spectral dogs, threatening neo-Nazi punks, cryptic messages that appear magically on his computer screen and delusions that suggest he's losing his mind. Simmons orchestrates his story's weird events craftily, introducing them as unremarkable details that only gradually show their dark side. In a nod to Henry James, whose psychological ghost story "The Jolly Corner" is repeatedly invoked, he blends jaw-dropping revelations of spiritual intrusion with carefully manipulated challenges to the reader's confidence in Dale's faculties and motivations. Though it features its share of palpable things that go bump in the night, this novel is most unsettling in its portrait of personal demons of despair that imperceptibly empower them.
My final recommendation would be Through a Glass, Darkly, which is also a very good read.

GlassDarkley-2-1.jpg

"Through a Glass, Darkly" is a modern horror novel that deals with secrets long buried, festering guilt and haunting loneliness. Jack Trent, the most effective CID officer in the history of the department, is having bad dreams. He has seen the murder of a child in a forest at the hands of something indescribable. But these are more than dreams. They are visions of the future that Jack has tried for years to suppress. Something happened to Jack in his childhood; something that means he cannot touch another living person; something that killed his mother, and that has returned to inspire his visions.In a final race against time, events reach a dramatic climax as Jack attempts to save a boy's life in the clearing of Redgrave Forest. Can he face the long-dead Dr Mendicant and the ancient Darkness of Crowman? Can he face the evil living inside himself? And what will he make of the Doctor's final, devastating revelation? "Through a Glass, Darkly" is a brilliant novel from an exciting new writer who is steeped in the traditions and themes of the genre.

* I haven't read it yet, but House of Leaves is very highly thought of on this forum. It's definitely on my to read list.

Houseofleaves.jpg

Johnny Truant, wild and troubled sometime employee in an L.A. tattoo parlour, finds a notebook kept by Zampanr, a reclusive old man found dead in a cluttered apartment. Herein is the heavily annotated story of the Navidson Record.

Will Navidson, a photojournalist, and his family move into a new house. What happens next is recorded on videotapes and in interviews. Now the Navidsons are household names. Zampanr, writing on loose sheets, stained napkins, crammed notebooks, has compiled what must be the definitive work on the events on Ash Tree Lane. But Johnny Truant has never heard of the Navidson Record. Nor has anyone else he knows. And the more he reads about Will Navidson's house, the more frightened he becomes. Paranoia besets him. The worst part is that he can't just dismiss the notebook as the ramblings of a crazy old man. He's starting to notice things changing around him.

Balls deep, huh? I might give them a try.

Wait, that didn't sound right.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
I was the same when i read Midnight Tides, i would like to read the whole series but the books are so friggen huge.

Really? Where did you leave off? I will say that the sequence of Deadhouse Gates, Memories of Ice, House of Chains and Midnight Tides remains the high point for the series, but even at his best, Erikson is somewhat inconsistent.

Conversely, I never truly lost interest in the series. Maybe because I can't resist completing things? Nonetheless, I'll probably wait until next year to read Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God back-to-back. I hate waiting on tenterhooks, although Erikson certainly isn't inconsistent when it comes to producing novels.

shuyin_

Banned
I bought these books last month and i'm almost done with them (i'm half way through A Storm of Swords Part 2). I see many GAFers are reading G.R.R.M.'s A Song of Ice and Fire. It's such an amazing series and i'm glad it gets recognition on GAF. Hopefully G.R.R.M. will release the 5th book in the series this October without any more delays.

@Fireblend & alternade: when you get to reading House of Leaves, please post some impressions. I heard many things about it and i'm curious.. is it really scary? No book managed to scare me, but i did enjoy Matheson's Hell House (and i would recommend it to anyone that wants to read a good horror book).

LovingSteam said:
Can someone recommend an actual horror/scary book?
see above.. word is House of Leaves is scary. Besides that, i'd recommend Richard Matheson's Hell House and Phantoms by Dean Koontz. Another book that i'd recommend is Coin Locker Babies by Ryu Murakami. It's more disturbing than scary and not really horror, but you might like it.

@Karma: What do you make of Cell? Did you read it in its entirety? I received it as a gift from my fiance but i stopped half way through... i found the beginning interesting but i got bored later.

subzero9285 said:
awesome cover

Rimshot

Trying to read two books this month. Having a lot to do normally I just get around to finishing one book a month but hopefully this will change.

The two are:

28139347.JPG

And

mass-effect-revelation.jpg

Ripped through Martian Time-Slip, Dr. Bloodmoney, and Wait for Next Year in my PKD collection, and now I'm reading this:

41B5BFCAWHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Not that far in, but it's already pretty interesting.

Salazar

BenjaminBirdie said:
Just had to upgrade my olde '96/7 paperback Infinite Jest to the new Eggersdition. The shit was like waterlogged and shit.

I'm imagining you throwing it into a lake, then changing your mind and wading in to rescue it.

Salazar said:
I'm imagining you throwing it into a lake, then changing your mind and wading in to rescue it.

Yeah, I would totally do that to what I have officially decided over the course of this re-read to be the best book I have ever read.

(Funny image though.)

bengraven

I need to print these pages out when I'm at the bookstore or library because I keep forgetting the awesome books.

I'm seriously close to just ditching videogames and re-focusing my ADHD on books like it was when I was 10, before I bought a NES.

Manics

Banned
shuyin_ said:
I bought these books last month and i'm almost done with them (i'm half way through A Storm of Swords Part 2). I see many GAFers are reading G.R.R.M.'s A Song of Ice and Fire. It's such an amazing series and i'm glad it gets recognition on GAF. Hopefully G.R.R.M. will release the 5th book in the series this October without any more delay
Not gonna happen junior. Even if Martin *finishes* the book by October, the earliest it'll be in bookstores is spring of 2010.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
bengraven said:
I need to print these pages out when I'm at the bookstore or library because I keep forgetting the awesome books.

I'm seriously close to just ditching videogames and re-focusing my ADHD on books like it was when I was 10, before I bought a NES.

This is always a thought of mine. Sell the video games and just focus on books -- but then I get a new game in for a review everyday so kind of hard to stop haha.

Narag

bengraven said:

I've eased up on gaming due to picking up reading again. If anything, its a good reason for me to be a bit more picky when buying a game.

bengraven

Caspel said:
This is always a thought of mine. Sell the video games and just focus on books -- but then I get a new game in for a review everyday so kind of hard to stop haha.

Narag said:
I've eased up on gaming due to picking up reading again. If anything, its a good reason for me to be a bit more picky when buying a game.

I find books to be way more fulfilling, much much cheaper, and frankly I do not want to be a game developer - I want to be a writer.

Now if somehow the library starts offering games, I may indeed be fucked.

A Penguin

game_boys_cover_250.jpg

Heard about this a year ago on GFW radio, finally decided to pick it up.

9963452.jpg

Seems like an interesting memoir.
ah, who am I kidding? I need better luck with the ladies

Top Bottom